• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

Nintendo games get high scores with simple effort (except for Zelda)

Is this a joke post? Its hard to tell since the quality of posts seem to dive in recent years, so its sometimes hard to distinguish joke posts from failed posts. At the very least it makes me laughing :D

Anyway Odyssey seems to be a very great game :) Thats all that matters.

they sympathize with poplar and loved franchises of nintendo, the games you listed are ignored by most nintendo fans

BOTW is one of the greatest games i have ever played and possibly in my top 5 of all time, it got a score of 97 in MC while The witcher 3 got 92 ? wtf ? Witcher 3 is obviously the better game, not just in my opinion, but in general, Witcher 3 is the best game released in the last decade, most people agree to that, so why did it get 92 while BOTW got 97 ??

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl, mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics, 3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D, all those games don't deserve those reviews, i bet if sunset overdrive was a Nintendo exclusive it would have gotten a 90MC

And a new GAF meme was born.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Many people think BOTW is better than The Witcher 3. This isn't a difficult idea.

But it's weird that you're so stuck on the average scores. They're both amazing, why can't you just go with that?

smash 4 got 92MC, the same score as The witcher 3 and Bloodborne and there is barely any difference from Brawl

Factually incorrect.

mario kart 8 got 88MC even though it's the same thing as MK7 but with better graphics

Also factually incorrect.

3D World got 93 and it's not even 3D

... Are you okay?

Blobbers

97 on MC incoming

Also am I the only one who gets physically sick of "The Witcher 3 is objectively the best..." comments? Such insane -INSANE- praise for a game with fundamental game design problems.

Veitsev

Is this a joke post? Its hard to tell since the quality of posts seem to dive in recent years, so its sometimes hard to distinguish joke posts from failed posts.

Anyway Odyssey seems to be a very great game :) Thats all that matters.

A simple user search history with the word "Nintendo" typically answers this question.

Its not a joke post.

MTC100

Banned
prophezeiungresizespu50.jpg

Aters

93 is too high for TW3.

Lilo_D

97 on MC incoming

Also am I the only one who gets physically sick of "The Witcher 3 is objectively the best..." comments? Such insane -INSANE- praise for a game with fundamental game design problems.

for me witcher3 has some fundamental control problems

I recently bought a switch(arrived 3 days ago) just for this game. Hell, it's still in its box.

Personally, this game looks like it will contend with SM64 as my favorite Mario game.

roytheone

97 on MC incoming

"Objectively" the best is dumb regardless of which game it is referencing. I personally think The witcher 3 is one of the best games ever made and maybe my favorite game of all time, I still think saying it is objectively the best is dumb, just like saying "objectively breath of the wild is the best...." or "objectively mario galaxy is the best...." would be dumb.

BsRCheY.gif

92>97 Confirmed.

I would not be shocked to find both Zelda and Mario to be 10+ million sellers this generation.

Zelda I'd be surprised if it makes it to 10m. The Zelda series simply has a lower ceiling than Mario, which will get there unless switch sales collapse suddenly in Jan 2018.

Crayolan

It's incredible how some people are so terribly confused at the possibility of a Nintendo game being good that they convince themselves that everyone else must be shills or lying or something.

Afrodium

Banned
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

The main takeaway here is Mario games are fucking solid.

guyssorry

One of the more embarrassing posts that I have seen on here. Sheesh.

FinalAres

But it's weird that you're so stuck on the average scores. They're both amazing, why can't you just go with that?
Thing is this is a thread about a review score. And the comments from both sides (because of course their are sides...) circle around the score.

Ultimately the point is that Nintendo deserves the praise, but there's something out of whack with the scores they receive. I do agree with this idea...I just don't think it matters.

Zelda I'd be surprised if it makes it to 10m. The Zelda series simply has a lower ceiling than Mario, which will get there unless switch sales collapse suddenly in Jan 2018.

the pace of botw is far ahead of even the best selling zeldas, like TP and OOT. I think it will easily reach 10mi+. Mario Odyssey will probably be 15+ mi

I said it wasn't a controversial opinion to give TLoU a 10 and you replied with a gif of Jennifer Lawrence looking shocked. If you are not willing to put your thoughts into words, don't be surprised if people take your post another way, we are not mind readers.

Oh and just because I am replying to you, does not mean I take it personally, this is Neogaf get over yourself.

Yeh, because you seemed to take a post with two reaction images about my feelings regarding the list negatively enough to tell me how great the game scored on metacritic and what 'the facts' were. You just seemed/seem far too defensive and affronted at the notion of someone not finding the game on-par with the rest of the list, sorry that I played into that a bit. The reaction wasn't about it being controversial it was about taking an opinion the way you did.

Not sure how I have to get over myself either, I posted a simple response and you felt the need to tell me just how well the game had scored via metacritic. Perhaps get over yourself if you can't just handle simple responses to things, especially when I've said exactly that I can understand how others like it; "I can see why people appreciate it and had a good time with it but I still think it cuts short of a 10/10".

I mean, even Nintendo says Galaxy wasn't a 3D Mario in the sense of Mario 64/Sunshine. Still a great game though.

All Nintendo really said was that Galaxy-3D World was linear and appealed to everyone while SM64,Sunshine and now Odyssey are open world and appealed to the hardcore gamer (hence them calling 64 and sunshine core games).

None of that "Real 3D" bullshit people seems to parrot when they want to shit on 3D World.

Flintty

Nintendo smashing it. I can’t wait to try this game. Gonna have to pick up a copy of Edge too. Best gaming mag out there.

Is already happening. Mario Odyssey GOTY confirmed.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

God, I hope you're not comparing what I wrote to his post because our operating ideologies couldn't be any further away. :)

And really, the Mario franchise has been pretty spectacular and consistently great through the years.

I'm not surprised this got a 10/10.

mrmickfran

Unfortunately Persona 5 is not at the same level of Persona 4, any fan can tell you that.
I love both dearly. The only things that P4 has over P5 are story and character development. While I understand that those are important in an RPG, everything else P5 does has it exceed P4 for me.

pablito

Probably not, which is why there are entire Witcher 3 shitting threads here.

AdanVC

It's a brand new massive full 3D sandbox action Mario game created by the best developers and veterans on the industry, of course it has to score a 10 <3

roytheone

So 900... Holy fucking shit. I want to 100% this game but I don't know if I'll be able to pull it off before Xenoblade 2 releases.

It really is crazy. Sure, some moons have been shown to be like 30 seconds long to get, but there also will be some that will be way longer. Factor in that there will be moons you can't find immediately and have to spend some time searching for and this game will take me a long time.

The Witcher 3 scratches an itch for a lot of players that studios like Bioware used to provide. It's not really the type of game for me (even though I did actually play through and enjoy it), but I get its praise.

Something something Nintendo bias something something if it was called Super Bario Odyssey no one would care.

The thing is, I do believe there is a bias for some of their franchises but I also think that bias is earned because of how spectacular most of these games tend to be.

So maybe a 9 jumps to a 10 because it's got Mario in it, at least for some.

But really, who cares?

The game is fantastic regardless of the numerical score and these numbers are just fodder for message boards and forums.

jstripes

Banned
It's incredible how some people are so terribly confused at the possibility of a Nintendo game being good that they convince themselves that everyone else must be shills or lying or something.

"How can people like games obviously designed for children?"

People getting a bit too surprised of two 10/10 games in the first year of a console. Wii had Zelda TP and Mario Galaxy in this first year both got some of the highest scores around, tons of 10/10 from loads of sites. And it had Metroid Prime 3 which is better than any third game the switch has right now.

To me TP is better than BOTW and I would be surprised if Odyssey is better than Galaxy, but we shall see.

Permanently A

Review threads for exclusives are the best part of GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom