• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, I do believe there is a bias for some of their franchises but I also think that bias is earned because of how spectacular most of these games tend to be.

So maybe a 9 jumps to a 10 because it's got Mario in it, at least for some.

But really, who cares?

The game is fantastic regardless of the numerical score and these numbers are just fodder for message boards and forums.
Thats not true at all....

Aters

Gameplay and presentation wise? Yes. Story, character and pacing wise? Hell no.

For me Persona 5 is better than Persona 4 in every way except presentation. I prefer P4's simplicity. P4's story in particular, I can't remember a damn thing about it.

usp84

Nice I don't think I have played a Mario since Super Mario Bros 3 but now with the Switch I am really excited for this

I'm not interested in trolling this discussion, and I certainly think SMO is going to be a fun game that I really want to play.

However, I'm still reserving judgement on the game until more reviews arrive, or I play it myself. EDGE got an exclusive to release SMO's first review and delayed their release to accommodate said embargo. Does anyone really think a review released like that will be anything less than stellar? It's just a little fishy, is all.

TNH853

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Can't wait for this and I'm happy to see this socre. I find the salt in this thread bizarre tbh. EDGE's 10/10 list is composed of amazing games save maybe 2 or 3 games which makes for a better list than most other publications have to offer.

watershed

Banned
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

That's a pretty damn fine list of great games, for the most part. Nearly hall of fame type company.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Zelda I'd be surprised if it makes it to 10m. The Zelda series simply has a lower ceiling than Mario, which will get there unless switch sales collapse suddenly in Jan 2018.
Zelda still has an insane attach rate (80% in France after 6 months ; #2 best selling game in October on Amazon.com). Knowing the DLC will most likely generate lots of buzz in the holiday season, and that Switch is poised to sell few dozens of millions, I'm convinced 10 millions will be achieved.

RagnarokX

We'll agree to disagree.
Found it too boring and annoying to play to even finish it.

Zelda was in a rut for a decade till ALBW and BOTW thankfully came along.

Best dungeons in the series and great story; areas BotW does very poorly in comparison.

The real issue with that list is 3D World being snubbed :p

clem84

Gold Member
The 'no life meter' thing had me worried to be honest. Apparently it's a non issue.

Can't wait to play this.

I'm not interested in trolling this discussion, and I certainly think SMO is going to be a fun game that I really want to play.

However, I'm still reserving judgement on the game until more reviews arrive, or I play it myself. EDGE got an exclusive to release SMO's first review and delayed their release to accommodate said embargo. Does anyone really think a review released like that will be anything less than stellar? It's just a little fishy, is all.

There's nothing fishy.

Thats not true at all....

I'm not sure why that notion strikes you as improbable.

Hell, I'll readily admit to being biased towards certain franchises but again, that comes with the fact that they have earned that bias by being fantastic.

I EXPECT Mario to earn these scores - anything less than a 9 or a 10 would floor me.

If anything, it's a testament to how consistently great this series has been.

KingV

Zelda I'd be surprised if it makes it to 10m. The Zelda series simply has a lower ceiling than Mario, which will get there unless switch sales collapse suddenly in Jan 2018.

Of course we can’t know what the future holds, but I saw that at the end of April Botw had already sold 3.8 million copies.

Honestly, I think it’s probably going to smash 10 million over the next 5 years or so.

I'm not sure why that notion strikes you as improbable.

Hell, I'll readily admit to being biased towards certain franchises but again, that comes with the fact that they have earned that bias by being fantastic.

I EXPECT Mario to earn these scores - anything less than a 9 or a 10 would floor me.

If anything, it's a testament to how consistently great this series has been.

Mario games have higher expectations, which put them under a more critical scope. Some of you can't comprehend this still.

Nice I don't think I have played a Mario since Super Mario Bros 3 but now with the Switch I am really excited for this

How did this happen??? I'm actually seriously intrigued how you managed to go this long without even accidentally playing a Mario title!?

Chessr

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) nope
Halo 3 (2007) nope
The Orange Box (2007) nah
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) NO
LittleBigPlanet (2008) NO
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Last of Us (2013) NO

Grand Theft Auto V (2013) (not my fav game but can see why.)
Bloodborne (2015) (have not played but dont look like a 10/10f or me)

so 11/20 belongs there imo :)

People getting a bit too surprised of two 10/10 games in the first year of a console. Wii had Zelda TP and Mario Galaxy in this first year both got some of the highest scores around, tons of 10/10 from loads of sites. And it had Metroid Prime 3 which is better than any third game the switch has right now.

To me TP is better than BOTW and I would be surprised if Odyssey is better than Galaxy, but we shall see.

I don't know if I'd put it ahead of MP3 but Mario + Rabbids is an incredibly good third game. And it will be getting Xenoblade 2 which people seem to be excited for.

The 'no life meter' thing had me worried to be honest. Apparently it's a non issue.

Can't wait to play this.

What "no life meter" thing? There is a life meter, we've seen it several times.

EDIT: Oh, unless you mean lives? I think it's a good thing they got rid of lives, the penalty for dying is now subtracting coins. Lives are kinda an outdated concept for non-arcade games IMO.

EDGE has always had a good relationship with Nintendo and that's precisely why they get these types of exclusives. They have a track record for journalistic integrity and are probably one of a handful if not the only foreign print magazine to have that kind of access. If you choose to believe that the relationship is built on a foundation of access for good reviews then I think you're overestimating the clout EDGE has. They're very well respected in the industry but let's not pretend that EDGE giving BOTW or Odyssey a 8 would have any material impact on sales.

Mario games have higher expectations, which put them under a more critical scope. Some of you can't comprehend this still.

That's not how bias works.

Also, I'm not making the claim that this game is getting undeserved scores. I'm simply pointing out that some franchises enjoy a presumption of quality based on their past track record, which isn't slander or derision.

It's a compliment.

Mario games tend to be fantastic.

This game will likely be fantastic.

Also, it's not just Nintendo franchises that enjoy this type of treatment by the gaming community.

Not by a long shot.

Same.

Hopefully I can get one this week.

I was genuinely surprised, maybe because I haven't been paying attention, and just assumed they're still really hard to find, but when I was preordering the mario bundle, i looked on BBY and they're both available at pretty much every store in my area, gray and neon.

is it like that everywhere?

usp84

How did this happen??? I'm actually seriously intrigued how you managed to go this long without even accidentally playing a Mario title!?

Because the last Nintendo console I owned was the SNES, then I had a PS1 and after that just a PC for years until I got a PS3.

So it just happened

redcrayon

It's not like a Mario 3D platformer receiving top marks is unprecedented. Sure, lets see what other reviews say, but I think it's unlikely Edge is going to be a suspiciously wild outlier.

EDGE has always had a good relationship with Nintendo and that's precisely why they get these types of exclusives. They have a track record for journalistic integrity and are probably one of a handful if not the only foreign print magazine to have that kind of access. If you choose to believe that the relationship is built on a foundation of access for good reviews then I think you're overestimating the clout EDGE has. They're very well respected in the industry but let's not pretend that EDGE giving BOTW or Odyssey a 8 would have any material impact on sales.
You're right, an 8 likely wouldn't have any impact on sales for the game. I'm not necessarily trying to cast doubt on journalistic integrity from EDGE, but (if I might expand on my original, somewhat vague, argument) giving the game a 10 as its first official review has created a narrative about the game's quality. All I'm advising is caution. In all likelihood, SMO earned that 10 fair and square (and I certainly hope that's the case). But I've been watching the video game reviews industry change for the worse in the last couple of years and it makes me a bit nervous.

Hazu

Tell me which 10/10 game do not belong on that list please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom