• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusankya

the pro controller has motion controls though. For example, when you capture a cheep cheep, the only way to attack is by shaking the controller

Oh, I didn't even know the Pro Controller could do that.
But still, it can't be something too obnoxious if you're supposed to do it while playing in handheld mode. I mean I can't imagine you have to shake the whole handheld just to do an attack as a cheep cheep.

I'm pretty sure there are no forced motion controls, just some optional moves that use it. I'm curious about the Cheep Cheep attack that Honorio mentioned, but I'd be pretty surprised if that was only doable with motion controls. Pressing Y usually performs an action when playing as a captured enemy after all.

I guess it's forced if you're a speed runner.

Ooooh curious if it's better than Golf Story. That's been the best so far, 1, 2, Switch included.

https://youtu.be/p1bt75IPaxU?t=488

In the time stamp, you can see that the controls for the cheep cheep are y to dive, and b to surface, and shaking the controllers is the attack move. The icon for the joy-con switch to the pro controller if you are using it (i didn't find the video, but it's in the sea of gameplay videos about seaside kingdom).

Lusankya

In the time stamp, you can see that the controls for the cheep cheep are y to dive, and b to surface, and shaking the controllers is the attack move. The icon for the joy-con switch to the pro controller if you are using it (i didn't find the video, but it's in the sea of gameplay videos about seaside kingdom).

Thanks for the video.
To be honest I actually liked the waggling in Galaxy, so I probably will like it here as well.

However if they make me shake the whole system in handheld mode to do a basic attack then there is something wrong. Using a pro-controller should switch to non-motion controls in my opinion.

Raven117

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Mario's Super Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| No Super for You

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Not Your Iliad

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Joyce's Ulysses

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Sentient Hats, Sentient Pants

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| A Mustache in Time

I feel like this is a stupid question, but how do you stop possessing something? I'm guessing you press A, but I've never seen it anywhere, not even in the frog tutorial section.

Thanks for the video.
To be honest I actually liked the waggling in Galaxy, so I probably will like it here as well.

However if they make me shake the whole system in handheld mode to do a basic attack then there is something wrong. Using a pro-controller should switch to non-motion controls in my opinion.

I don't know how they implemented it, but other examples are when you capture a koopa in luncheon kingdom, pressing y throws a frying pan, but shaking the joy-cons throws multiple of them, and controlling a bullet bill you press y to boost, but if you shake, the bullet bill will go even faster.

I actually like motion controls so it's not an issue to me, but so far it seems to be that there are some moves exclusive to motion controls, not necessarily making them essential of course.

I don't know how they implemented it, but other examples are when you capture a koopa in luncheon kingdom, pressing y throws a frying pan, but shaking the joy-cons throws multiple of them, and controlling a bullet bill you press y to boost, but if you shake, the bullet bill will go even faster.

I actually like motion controls so it's not an issue to me, but so far it seems to be that there are some moves exclusive to motion controls, not necessarily making them essential of course.

From what I've seen it seems like most of the moves could be mapped to a quick double tap of whatever button is used to do the action normally, hope that's the route they go or something similar.

Roo

7ga6J.gif

Xdrive05

Curious about loading times for digital VS game cart. Apparently Zelda loaded way faster off of the internal storage and even sd cards, compared to the game carts.

Also since the file size is actually not that big, it makes digital way tempting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom