• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

That's what everyone will say but in the end, Zelda will take home most of the awards. Not to the extent that something like TLOU did, where it took home the greatest percentage of GOTY awards, but the final tally will show a clear "winner".

You don't think PUBG is going to steamroll everything?

CedDTwk.gif

entremet

I just happy the Mario 64/Sunshine crew can stop complaining about the lack of open world Mario games for a bit now.

Dyle

I'm kind of sad Jim Sterling isn't doing reviews anymore, I'd love to see the meltdown from people upset over him giving this game 7 /s. Can't wait to for more reviews to come out. 16 days seems so far away
7 Nintendo games in that list... do they like N games so much?

I agree with most of the list though. Well I would never give a 10 to anything personally...

8 actually with Bayonetta 2

Super Mario 64 (1996) YES
Gran Turismo (1997) YES
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) YES
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) YES
Half-Life 2 (2004) YES
Halo 3 (2007) YES
The Orange Box (2007) YES
Super Mario Galaxy (2007) YES
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) NO
LittleBigPlanet (2008) NOOOOOO
Bayonetta (2009) NO
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) OK
Rock Band 3 (2010) CMON
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) NO
The Last of Us (2013) YES
Grand Theft Auto V (2013) YES
Bayonetta 2 (2014) NO
Bloodborne (2015) OK
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) NO
Super Mario Odyssey (2017) HOPEFULLY

Don't be hatin' on Bayonetta, bro!

Wedzi

Banned
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Poor Sunshine :(

I'm kind of sad Jim Sterling isn't doing reviews anymore, I'd love to see the meltdown from people upset over him giving this game 7. Can't wait to for more reviews to come out. 16 days seems so far away

He is still doing reviews, it's just that they're videos on his YouTube channel now and he's obviously blacklisted by Nintendo so won't b getting a review copy. His review will end up here when he gives it.

EDIT ignore now obviously, I've seen his site.

If Nintendo can keep beast mode going for this console cycle then the switch will be the GOAT Nintendo produced machine.

They won't be able to forever. It's simply not a physical possibility, whether it's next year or the year after, there will be a lull in first party releases eventually. The best Games take 3+ years to make now and Nintendo doesn't have enough top tier teams to keep a stream like BOTW, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Oddessy, Xenoblade 2 (and mk8 rerelease) going every year. 2016 was one of Nintendos weakest years so they could have a strong first year for 2017.

The benefit of going all in early like they did here Vs the abject failure to do so with Wii U is that if they can get a big enough audience, third parties will cover those periods for them.

ffvorax

It's exclusive but not made by Nintendo directly, that's why I didn't count it. But yes, let's say 8 exclusives.

Here's a crazy thought...what if Nintendo made some of the best games?

It's one of the biggest developer out there, so yes, actually I didn't criticized it.

My list would be filled with a more diverse games and developers than N, they're not the only that gave us masterpieces out there.

Akai

I'm kind of sad Jim Sterling isn't doing reviews anymore, I'd love to see the meltdown from people upset over him giving this game 7

Giving a game a lower score just to be contradictory is not only puerile but also defeats the point of why reviews exist.

apmusson

Neo Member
Nice one Nintendo. It's great to see some fantastic games so early in the Switch's lifespan. Great indie support too.

I didn't expect an Edge 10. Guess I'm completely hyped now...

Funny to contrast the hype levels for Odyssey versus Galaxy ten years ago. Seemed like Galaxy received a much more muted enthusiasm compared to that of Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess, then the reviews came in and people started playing it and it felt like “surprise, best game ever!”

Wonder if people were still wary of Nintendo in the early Wii days compared to now where all their good will seems to be coming from gamers alone.

I'm excited the secret stuff they've shown has me Dark Souls excited. Not everything is written in front of you, some you have to discover secretly, which I love.

ZeoVGM

Banned
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Look at this list of games.

So fucking good.

Kouriozan

Funny to contrast the hype levels for Odyssey versus Galaxy ten years ago. Seemed like Galaxy received a much more muted enthusiasm compared to that of Brawl, Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess, then the reviews came in and people started playing it and it felt like “surprise, best game ever!”

Wonder if people were still wary of Nintendo in the early Wii days compared to now where all their good will seems to be coming from gamers alone.
The thirst of a real sequel to Mario 64 + past 2 mainline 3D Mario games weren't true 3D by some.

It's exclusive but not made by Nintendo directly, that's why I didn't count it. But yes, let's say 8 exclusives.

It's one of the biggest developer out there, so yes, actually I didn't criticized it.

My list would be filled with a more diverse games and developers than N, they're not the only that gave us masterpieces out there.

You don't just score games with a 10 "just for diversity". They gave 12 non Nintendo games a 10.

They won't. It's simply not a physical possibility, whether it's next year or the year after, there will be a lull in first party releases eventually. The best Games take 3+ years to make now and Nintendo doesn't have enough top tier teams to keep a stream like BOTW, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Oddessy, Xenoblade 2 (and mk8 rerelease) going.

The benefit of going all in early like they did here Vs the abject failure to do so with Wii U is that if they can get a big enough audience, third parties will cover those periods for them.

It's probably worth considering that they will be able to deliver on a more consistent basis due to the merging of their two departments.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm kind of sad Jim Sterling isn't doing reviews anymore, I'd love to see the meltdown from people upset over him giving this game 7.

Or maybe he would give it a 10 if he thought it deserved it. The text of his BotW review justifies his score. He had issues with the game, issues I shared, they just didn't bother me as much as they did him.

Edit: Saw your post below and agree.

Dyle

Giving a game a lower score just to be contradictory is not only puerile but also defeats the point of why reviews exist.

weird take

/s Jim did an excellent job in explaining why BotW didn't click with him and totally justified his score. It wasn't supposed to be taking the piss but simply acknowledging that he didn't care for it like everyone else did. Thus why it's too bad to see him move from written reviews given that he has done a very thorough job of explaining his thoughts on the quality of games through reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom