• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - 10/10 from Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't think PUBG is going to steamroll everything?
I think Mario & Zelda are going to ultimately split the Nintendo vote, leaving PUBG with most of the overall awards.

However, the game with the most GOTYs under its belt will have far fewer than most recent years. 2017 is too good for a consensus favorite like The Witcher 3 or Uncharted 4/Overwatch.

Wow this is cool. I preordered the switch bundle and figured it would be good, but didn't expect 10/10 good. Really excited to get that and BotW and dive in over holidays.

Very curious to see what the rest of reviews look like. Does this mean that embargo is tomorrow for everyone else too?

xviper

i think Mario odyssey will be an amazing game, i love that they finally brought back the real 3D Mario

but the scores for any nintendo game is nothing to me, they sympathize with Nintendo

i don't expect Mario odyssey to be lower than 93, my guess is 95

silva1991

Was anyone expecting anything lower?

Not really. Main big Mario games always get 10s or 9s whether they are great like Galaxy games or trash like Sunshine.

I expect this one to be great tho and I'll likely buy a Switch for it.

97/98 metascore incoming.

Raven117

You know...Im curious to how I take Mario. I think Im getting a little too old for that art design to be compelling...But I dont know...just a feeling Im getting.

i think Mario odyssey will be an amazing game, i love that they finally brought back the real 3D Mario

but the scores for any nintendo game is nothing to me, they sympathize with Nintendo

Yeah they sympathize with Nintendo just like those scores for Federation Force, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Hey Pikmin. Boy all those great scores....

Aters

I'm kind of sad Jim Sterling isn't doing reviews anymore, I'd love to see the meltdown from people upset over him giving this game 7. Can't wait to for more reviews to come out. 16 days seems so far away

I look forward to him giving Odyssey a 10 and people saying he's sold out.

Idk man, first console Pokémon game, looks like it might have a big budget and really shake up the formula. It could happen.

If Pokemon and Metroid Prime 4 both get 10/10's, that's it. Nintendo should retire from the industry and ascend into the heavens.

Maybe. I have little faith in Gamefreak.

Nategc20

Banned
EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
They had me til 2007, then it literally made me laugh. The last two generations was trash.

seady

I want Odyssey to get many 10s, but the higher people set it the more people will call it a failure if it doesn't get anything beyond a 9.5.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think Mario & Zelda are going to ultimately split the Nintendo vote, leaving PUBG with most of the overall awards.

Isn't PUBG still technically in Beta/early access? Wouldn't that prevent it from winning some of the majore GOTY awards?

They sympathise with Nintendo?

From the other thread:

Also from the Edge review: there are nearly as many moons in Odyssey as there are Korok seeds in BOTW.

This is nuts right here

This is absolutely insane! Honestly think it's thread worthy on its own. There are 900 korok seed in botw. This game is going to seriously compete for the best game of all time.

Unknown?

I remember during the Wii era, there was a long period of time when people asked "Where is Mario? Where is Zelda?"

2017, we have an amazing Zelda, and by all evidence provided so far, an amazing Mario.
With PS4 and Switch on Fire I think 2017 rivals some of gaming’s best years.

Neff

I already knew this was going to be special when we found out that Nintendo had already finished it early this year and were just sitting on it.

Besides, they couldn't portray
Mario and Peach inevitably, finally, truly hooking up
in anything less than a barnstorming, all cylinder-firing S-rank epic.

Shame people are really going to use Skyward Sword of all things to dismiss it. It’s still a solid 9/10 for me

It's up there with OoT and BotW representing the best of the 3D Zeldas imo. In fact it may even be my favourite 3D Zelda. It's a truly incredible game which gets a lot of shit because 'where's the overworld' and waggle.

Timbuktu

Anyone seen this cover of the Spanish version of Edge?

297BD4EB-A21D-4841-B526-73B4A1DAD858.thumb.jpg.42b77483823907b97a9eaac91be6784a.jpg

Edit: Apparently the English version is different. All of this is stolen off rllmuk by the way.

Yeah they sympathize with Nintendo just like those scores for Federation Force, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Hey Pikmin. Boy all those great scores....

To add to that:

Mario Kart Wii - 6
Mario Kart: Double Dash - 5
Mario Power Tennis - 5
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 7
Yoshi's New Island - 4
Wario Land 4 - 6
Yoshi's Woolly World - 6
Triforce Heroes - 6
Wario: Master of Disguise - 4
Mario Party 8 - 4
Mario Golf: Advance Tour - 6

Edge use the full length of the scale (while also not quantifying what the numbers *mean*) and give credit where it's due. I do think they were wrong about Wario Land 4 and Mario Kart Wii (MKWii reviews were written before online was switched on), however, but if you read the original reviews for the likes of Double Dash and Power Tennis the scores are quite justified.

Haunted

EDGE 10/10 Games

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
Not a bad list.

groansey

Breaking this list down:

EDGE 10/10 Games so far.

Super Mario 64 (1996) YES
Gran Turismo (1997) NO
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998) YES
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001) NO
Half-Life 2 (2004) NO
Halo 3 (2007) NO
The Orange Box (2007) NO
Super Mario Galaxy (2007) YES
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008) NO
LittleBigPlanet (2008) NO
Bayonetta (2009) NO
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) NO
Rock Band 3 (2010) NO
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011) NO
The Last of Us (2013) YES
Grand Theft Auto V (2013) YES
Bayonetta 2 (2014) NO
Bloodborne (2015) NO
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) YES
Super Mario Odyssey (2017) ???

Crazy to think we are getting a GOTY quality Mario title seven months after a GOTY Zelda game.

I don't really expect anything less from Nintendo. Small quantities of insanely high quality software.

Haven't really watched any trailers but I expect this to be an easy GOTY winner for me. BOTW and Cuphead behind it.

It's insane how Mario is consistently superb since day one.

Has the same team made every 3D game? Sure feels that way.

Isn't PUBG still technically in Beta/early access? Wouldn't that prevent it from winning some of the majore GOTY awards?
Depends if the game hits 1.0 before the end of the year. But yeah, it's possible some outlets decide that a game in EA is technically ineligible.

Kyzer

Banned

"Nintendo Sympathizers" lmao

Edge is not even that nice to Nintendo review wise

Chessr

You know...Im curious to how I take Mario. I think Im getting a little too old for that art design to be compelling...But I dont know...just a feeling Im getting.

How old are you :) ?

I am 32 and i cant wait. Colourfull creative games like this is the best.
I am so tired of brown/grey realism action games.

Ridley327

I don't really expect anything less from Nintendo. Small quantities of insanely high quality software.

Haven't really watched any trailers but I expect this to be an easy GOTY winner for me. BOTW and Cuphead behind it.

Has the same team made every 3D game? Sure feels that way.

I think there's been a lot of staff that's stayed on since 64, but at its core, the guys we're dealing with here have been working on the series since Sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom