• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

pixelation

pug-dog-reaction-turns-around-slowly-13915564480.gif
lolololololololol, i mean it man!

ajanke

Man the wait for this game is unbearable. Especially since I don't like so many of the switch games out right now.

k41m

So many kingdoms, i feel ashamed of ever doubting nintendo epd efforts after the E3 trailer "There will be just 5 kingdoms, 6 at max" i thought.

Even if it's "just" 11 or 12 kingdoms, any number beyond that totally surpases my expectations.

Everyone said the same thing when Galaxy came out.

Then Galaxy 2 came out.

They said the same when 3D World came out.

Now again with Mario Odyssey.

It's literally the whole "Nintendo is doomed" scenario but with Mario.

Who said that when 3D World came out?

Aldric

A kingdom on the main continent that Bubblelane is an offshoot of, + the moon, would then put the total at Mario 64's 15 worlds, assuming the rest of the speculation is right.

l think there'll be more than that. lf you look at the globe there's quite a few distinctive looking parts of the map that could very well be kingdoms. Things like the bottle shaped land next to Bubblaine, the cluster of islands between Metro and Snow kingdoms, that big island next to Lake Kingdom etc. l count at least 18 potential kingdoms based on the topography, and there might be even more if all these tiny individual islands scattered along the coasts count.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
THERE ARE SEALS IN PARKAS I REPEAT THERE ARE SEALS IN PARKAS

DKZx0U0VoAA9XLn.png

:O

I already said I'd spend a lot of time in the snowy kingdom so I could feel justified in dressing Mario up in his winter coat. Now I know exactly where I'll be hanging out. Hopefully the music is amazing.

Wow, that's an awesome image.

Do we know if the photo mode actually renders in higher resolution and cleans up the image or not? I know they are likely just bullshots for the postcard image, but they look very clean indeed. Would be wonderful.

I remember reading that there's some framerate issues in photo mode, so my guess is that the system is indeed doing some extra work to make the images look great. It should be an easy enough question to answer once a group like Digital Foundry gets their hands on the final game.

Neoweee

There are multiple levels per kingdom right?

This could be a very big game.

No, we haven't seen multiple levels. They're just really big levels, with multiple parts and interiors/sub-zones.

It is still going to be the largest Mario game, and probably by a substantial margin.

Neoweee

l think there'll be more than that. lf you look at the globe there's quite a few distinctive looking parts of the map that could very well be kingdoms. Things like the bottle shaped land next to Bubblaine, the cluster of islands between Metro and Snow kingdoms, that big island next to Lake Kingdom etc. l count at least 18 potential kingdoms based on the topography, and there might be even more if all these tiny individual islands scattered along the coasts count.

Bubblaine IS the representative bottle-shaped kingdom. Bubblaine = Bubbly = Champagne Bottle.

Little, nondescript islands aren't kingdoms/stages/worlds, they're just there to be dooddads to make the world look realistic.

Large landmasses that look like something seems to be the general MO for what is and what isn't a zone. I can't make out what the New Donk region is supposed to look like, though.

I remember reading that there's some framerate issues in photo mode, so my guess is that the system is indeed doing some extra work to make the images look great. It should be an easy enough question to answer once a group like Digital Foundry gets their hands on the final game.

Yea, you can even see as much in the Direct footage that they revealed it in. Looks like it cuts the fps in half. Could be doing some extra post processing or AA in photomode. Either way.. I can see many awesome pics coming from this game.

doop_

Banned
Woah, i think New Donk is meant to look like Donkey Kong's head. The little twirl on top and caveman eyebrows and mouth.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, you can even see as much in the Direct footage that they revealed it in. Looks like it cuts the fps in half. Could be doing some extra post processing or AA in photomode. Either way.. I can see many awesome pics coming from this game.

Locking it to 30 fps in the interest of increased visual fidelity during something like a photo mode sounds like a good approach to me.

ubiblu

15 Kingdoms in the game
69 Moons in the Sand Kingdom

15 x 69 = 1035 Moons. So yeah, 1000 moons total?

Cap Kingdom does not appear to have any moons, and I'm curious about whether all main levels have 70 moons (69 + 100 regional coins), or if each world is completely different. 15 kingdoms seems excessive for them all to be content filled, but 10-12 kingdoms sound both reasonable and awesome.

Aldric

Bubblaine IS the representative bottle-shaped kingdom. Bubblaine = Bubbly = Champagne Bottle.

l don't think so. Bubblaine seems to be a rather small landmass in the middle of the sea. On the Amiibo cover Seaside Kingdom is also written above the island between Luncheon Kingdom and the bottle land.

Kinsei

Banned
Cap Kingdom does not appear to have any moons, and I'm curious about whether all main levels have 70 moons (69 + 100 regional coins), or if each world is completely different. 15 kingdoms seems excessive for them all to be content filled, but 10-12 kingdoms sound both reasonable and awesome.

The Cap Kingdom seems to become a regular level later in the game. We've seen screens showing purple hats (the kingdom currency) to collect there in trailers and even in the new gameplay there is a counter for them in the HUD. It's a safe bet that there will also be moons to collect alongside the hats on your return trip.

VanWinkle

I wish they hadn't shown so many kingdoms UNLESS there's still like the same amount of them that are NOT revealed (which is obviously unlikely). I also still don't really know the full extent of a kingdom. I know there are [at least] a few off-beaten paths, but how big/open ARE they really?

Kinsei

Banned
I wish they hadn't shown so many kingdoms UNLESS there's still like the same amount of them that are NOT revealed (which is obviously unlikely). I also still don't really know the full extent of a kingdom. I know there are [at least] a few off-beaten paths, but how big/open ARE they really?

Here's a map of the Tostarena. If all the kingdoms are a similar size then they're pretty big.

The Cap Kingdom seems to become a regular level later in the game. We've seen screens showing purple hats (the kingdom currency) to collect there in trailers and even in the new gameplay there is a counter for them in the HUD. It's a safe bet that there will also be moons to collect alongside the hats on your return trip.

I noticed a picture frame (warp) that's blocked by a broken hat ship too.

Berordn

Well that's Donkey Kong's own thing. If it's a callback to Mario's relationship to DK, it's got to be the original arcade game, which takes place in the city.

Big Ape City was designed to resemble the city from DK just like New Donk is, so that would've been neat.

Irrelevant in the end, since it's not like this world map is going to matter outside of Odyssey anyway.

I wonder if they'll be DLC costumes, with some referencing other Nintendo franchises. Think Mario running around in Link's tunic. Seems like a no-brainer for Nintendo, honestly.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they'll be DLC costumes, with some referencing other Nintendo franchises. Think Mario running around in Link's tunic. Seems like a no-brainer for Nintendo, honestly.

I think DLC in the form of costumes or potentially a new Kingdom or two is possible, but I don't know if I really see a crossover happening. If anything, I expect it'll be more like Breath of the Wild and just reference more things within its franchise that haven't already been referenced.

They said that they wanted to try and find a use for every amiibo, but I'm thinking that probably relates more to Uncle amiibo and not costumes for Mario.

But could you even imagine? Mario in Captain Falcon's outfit? Pit's? Samus'?

Sand Kingdom might not be average, number of required moons in each Kingdom might be a clue, Bubblaine only had 10 required, while NDC had 20.

Anedoctal, but I'm pretty sure I've actually seen less moons from E3 Footage of Tostarena until now than from press footage of Bubblaine. I don't think 69 will be that far off from the average, unless some kingdoms are really tiny.

Anedoctal, but I'm pretty sure I've actually seen less moons from E3 Footage of Tostarena until now than from press footage of Bubblaine. I don't think 69 will be that far off from the average, unless some kingdoms are really tiny.

Yeah honestly I'm not sure why I said that, because it's going to average somewhere between 10 and 20 anyway. I'll guess 777 total moons :p

I am not a 3D Mario fan. Hated SM64, Galaxy+2, 3D World... so-so on Sunshine.

But this game has me so hyped. It looks so unlike a Mario game and I am all about it. The controls look so smooth and the possession aspect completely opens things up. I'm so down.

SirShandy

One question I have about game progression in Mario Odyssey is - How do level transitions work?

We know that each Kingdom has at least two versions. We've seen a daytime populated version of New Donk City and a night time stormy version of New Donk City. We've also seen day and night versions of the Sand Kingdom. I'd guess the level transitions are story related, though I'm interested in what that means for Power Moon collection. In New Donk, I imagine at least some of the collectable Power Moon's during the day portion don't carry over to the night/stormy version - the level is no longer populated with the New Donkers who hand over power moons, and it seems the level layout in general is slightly altered as well ( it now has enemies and barriers put up).

So do the different level phases come with their own distinct set of power moons to collect? Are you able to pick which version of the level before you enter? I can't imagine they will gate you from collecting certain power moons just because of story progression, but I'm curious how they balance the story progression with the Power moon collection progression.

Top Bottom