• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey - The Odyssey Journal (JP) (IMAGE HEAVY)

Possessing enemies as a key mechanic, has "Odyssey" in the title...

Abe%27s_Oddysee_Cover.jpg

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Ode to the Ages

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyone else not really feeling the possession mechanic? I feel like it takes away from the actual platforming.

Anyone else not really feeling the possession mechanic? I feel like it takes away from the actual platforming.
In what way? You wouldn't bat an eye if the ---platforming--- mechanics that capture abilities bestow on the player came from little powerups that popped out of question boxes, instead.

A Power-Up that makes it so that Mario can make his legs longer in place of jumping? Kosher platforming

A monster that Mario has to capture, though!?! Soooo not platforming luls

Eh, I understand your apprehension. I love the look of it, but if the capture mechanic boils down to minigames and environmental 'Korok Puzzles' then hopefully there's enough meat in just 'being Mario'.

I think there'll be a satisfying amount of Mario, and then Capturing will be employed in two ways: in instances where it's gameplay built around existing Mario mechanics, and in others where it's diversionary or to mix up the pacing.

Gleethor

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| A Time in Hat

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| New Donk, Old Hat

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Mario Gets Switched, Boswer Gets Hitched

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In what way? You wouldn't bat an eye if the ---platforming--- mechanics that capture abilities bestow on the player came from little powerups that popped out of question boxes, instead.

A Power-Up that makes it so that Mario can make his legs longer in place of jumping? Kosher platforming

A monster that Mario has to capture, though!?! Soooo not platforming luls

Wrong. Nearly every powerup Mario has ever had added to abilities he already had. Stuff like the fire flower, leaf, feather, ice flower, boomerang, etc. still allowed Mario to run and jump and do the things he was already capable of doing.

Whereas it's rather difficult to jump when you're say, a bullet bill.

MCN

Banned
I finally get a Switch at the end of this month (thank you, massive bonus at work!), and I'm so fucking hyped for this game. And Skyrim. And Doom. And to play Zelda again. And Kingdom Battle. And Mario Kart 8 Deluxe...

Speely

Banned
I cant believe im going to buy a switch and play a new Mario and Zelda at the same time. Madness!

Not only that, but Mario and Zelda titles that will be competing for GOTY awards in a year that has seen absolutely amazing titles on different platforms.

2017 is absolutely fucking silly for gaming. I can't even when thinking about my GOTY so far. Too much quality.

And even given that, SMO looks like a lock. WTF?

fisheyes

The more I see of this game, the more I want it yesterday. Will be amazing.

Also, to throw another into the mix:

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| The Best Way to Cap Off the Year

This game really is looking like something magical. I really liked 3D World for what it was but there was a definite lack of surprise and wonder in that game. Everything felt every safe and formulaic. Odyssey is looking like it's doing everything to amaze us. Even with all we've already seen, I feel like it going to hold more surprises for us than Breath of the Wild. While that game started off amazingly well, I think it got a bit stale the further you got in. Still one of the best games I've played this year, but I think Odyssey will be able to capture my attention all the way to 100%. Doesn't hurt that I love Mario a hell of a lot more than I do Zelda.

I think my favorite aspects of this game, so far, could be put into a few bullet points...

- Your movement options are insane in this game! Mario games were regressing when it came to your move list for a while now but Odyssey is turning it around. The differences between first-time players and high-level play will be immense!

- Every level is standing out. 3D Land and 3D World were stuff with levels but a lot of them blended together. In Odyssey, every level is standing out. Whether it's the art direction, music, enemies, or level construction, all of the Kingdoms so far have stood out really well.

- There's so much reward for simply trying things out on a whim. The amount of Moons per Kingdom is looking massive, and we've seen that the level of difficulty and length for each Moon varies. Lots of variety and standout moments to be sure.

As stupid as this sounds, looking at all these gifs seriously fills me with happiness, I'm giddy with excitement for this game!

The move-set is so expressive. I can't wait to see how we all go about tackling this game. Speed-runners are going to have a goddamn field day in this world.

Yep, speedruns are gonna be the best of any Mario games so far I feel. Yes, even more than 64.

Not only that, but Mario and Zelda titles that will be competing for GOTY awards in a year that has seen absolutely amazing titles on different platforms.

2017 is absolutely fucking silly for gaming. I can't even when thinking about my GOTY so far. Too much quality.

And even given that, SMO looks like a lock. WTF?

It's stupid just how good this year has been for videogames. Makes me wonder what the hell companies have been doing since 2012 (except for maybe 2014. That was a great year for Nintendo at least).

Sonic Mania is currently my favorite game of the year, no doubt. That game means a lot to me, but Odyssey could very well take that title for me. Galaxy 2 is my favorite Mario game and I'd be shocked if Odyssey isn't better than it, honestly. I know game critics aren't likely to vote for Sonic Mania on anything since it's a small digital title and because "lol Sanic" so Odyssey will definitely be considered the best platformer this year, at the very least.

People have gotten a lot of time to learn about and accept the major (but not crippling by any means) flaws of Breath of the Wild. It's easily the best Zelda game, imo, but it's not quite a masterpiece to me, but I thought it was when I first played it. Even if Odyssey were to have some notable problems as well, the game is coming out so late in the year that I doubt many will notice so it has that as an advantage.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Speed runners are going to break this game wide open with all the crazy moves Mario has at his disposal.

Splatoon 2 and Zelda have made the Switch worth it for me already, but this looks like it's even better than those 2 masterpieces.

Looks absolutely bonkers!

Heartfyre

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| Not To Be Confused With Homer

I wish that last Direct hadn't happened. I was going to get this game anyway, but now I'm actively anticipating it and there's a month and a half of torture ahead.

Salvadora

The movement options in this game are looking like the best ever in the 3D series.

Mario just looks, on a base level, so fun to control.

Raitaro

They seriously should get the Cuphead guys to do a 2D Mario based on the art in those calender pages. It's charming as hell. I'd buy a paper version of this calender as well.

(I also prefer the more cartoony depiction of the T-rex seen there compared to the overly realistic / "plastic" version found in the actual game. Still not totally sold on the weird mish mash of art styles and depictions of characters / creatures in this game, honestly. Would have preferred if everything, including the other humans and creatures, had a more consistent cartoony art style to Mario and his common foes.)

You guys are gunna have to excuse me because I dont know much about the Switch. With that said, I wanted to ask if the Switch supports HDR? Not on the small screen of course, but on a tv?

After watching every Galaxy and 3D Land video I could, I haven't looked at any videos at all for this. Going in relatively blind outside of the initial reveal.

I'm ready 👌

I love that calendar art. The freedom of movement Mario has is going to make watching speedruns a joy.

Wish I could afford a Switch as a secondary console, but the price is too high :'(

Or I could sell my PS4 and use the Switch as a primary console.

But then I'd miss out on Sony first party and most third party titles, I don't have a PC I can play games on with a reasonable performance. And Sony actually has sales. I could buy a Nintendo game, sell it since they retain value pretty well, use that money to pay for the next Switch game etc.

Or I just need to make more money. Easier said then done.

I'll probably just watch Odyssey on Twitch, sigh.

Top Bottom