• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run announced for iOS (Android later), Dec 2016, Screens/Info in OP

Not understanding the negative comments about it being a runner. You really expected full Mario platforming controls on a touchscreen? It would be shit. This is a good solution, the controls look tight, and it seems well-designed. First runner I've actually wanted to try.

But yeah, the NSMB art style is not so hot.

Good for them.

Pill would be easier to swallow if they'd announced their "real new system" prior to that, but whatever, at this point...

Rayman was great, can't wait to play this.

chemicals

I really don't know how I feel about this. Pokemon Go was a horrible excuse for a game, but maybe they can nail it with Mario. The oldschool PC/console gamer inside of me will always dislike Free To Play games, and that same oldschool guy also frowns upon phone gaming. On the other hand I'm a hypocrite because I love Puzzle Quest, Bejeweled, Plants vs Zombies, etc.

I don't know. These days, we have Sonic games on Nintendo consoles so I guess nothing is sacred. Lol

Gross to see Mario reduced to this really.

Lol

I don't understand comments like this. Why not give the option for more people to play Mario, it could get them interested in playing other games in the series. Look at what Pokemon Go did to earlier Pokemon games. They started flying off the shelves...but no lets not put Mario on Mobile because for some reason a lot of gamers look at Mobile games like it's some kind of demon stealing their IPs away from them.

vpance

6Rxl9sZ.jpg

Holy fug

*Sees thread title*

*Gets so hyped for a Mario Endless runner*

*Sees its only on mobile. No way to play a actual Nintendo game on a Nintendo system*

Gotta love Nintendo not letting their most hardcore fans play games on their actual systems. I don't have any mobile device so I'll never be able to play a Mario game. Never thought I'd say that. :(

Apparently the NX can play mobile games too.

Da-Kid

The changes the company has been doing lately, nothing against Iwata at all, but it seems someone with some forward thinking has stepped up. At least it's something.
You do know it was Iwata who was making these changes initially. They're just carrying on with it after his death.

Gagaman

Looks like something Nintendo's programmers could knock together in a week, re-using new super mario bros assets so definitely not eating into their console and handheld work I'd imagine. Gonna make Nintendo a shit ton of easy money either way.

what are you doing Nintendo, you take time to show in competitors conferences and still no info about NX?!

Nintendo realizing that phones are not really a "competitor" and instead embracing the opportunity to make money on that platform is a very very good thing. Some of you guys are acting incredible irrational about all of this.

lt519

People hating on this.

Do you not hold right the entire time on most Mario levels anyway? The way 2D Mario was meant to be played, pure speed runs.

Stoze

Why do people keep saying it's an endless runner? You play levels presumably with actual level design, levels that have an end. It's not Canabalt or Temple Run.

Level list that was in the presentation :

i5ZfHW9.png

You recruit Toads for your Mushroom Kingdom with the multiplayer mode.

I don't play as many games on my phone as I used to but I'll definitely buy this. I appreciate that it's a pay once app with no IAP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It is kind of unbelievable seeing Miyamoto on an Apple stage. I guess a lot can change in a few years.

That aside, on the game itself, I'll give it a whirl but it doesn't seem to be anything earth shattering. Is this a Dena game or Nintendo internal?

Calamari41

41 > 38
2013: "Nintendo would never make a mobile game. It would devalue its brands enormously."

2016: "Of course Nintendo is making mobile games. It's building brand awareness."

How times change.

Times change indeed. I was mildly in the previous camp until Pokemon Go caused all of the mainline Pokemon games to skyrocket in sales, years after they had been released. That was a hell of a proof of concept for the "build brand awareness" model that Nintendo is on record as following.

LordRaptor

How is this gross?

Spreading awareness of your brand it a clever business decision. An endless runner of mobiles will work, but it woint on consoles... So it seems smart to me to play to the strenths of both markets and have them benefit each other.

We have pretty strong evidence indicating the success of pokemon go translated directly into sales of 3DS.
Whether that was a fluke remains to be seen, but using mobile oriented spin offs to advertise 'core' franchise titles doesn't seem like a stupid idea. It's clearly something being pursued by many major third party publishers with the likes of Rayman Jungle Run, Hitman / Tomb Raider / Deus Ex Go, etc.

KAL2006

Banned
Are Nintendo allowed to do in game advertising. If so they should just promote the next Mario game inside this game and when you tap on the promotion you get linked to NX pre order and Mario titles lol

diaspora

2013: "Nintendo would never make a mobile game. It would devalue its brands enormously."

2016: "Of course Nintendo is making mobile games. It's building brand awareness."

How times change.
Not really? Those aren't mutually exclusive statements- there's still an argument to be made that making a full platformer for mobile would devalue the brand versus using a runner.

SuperSah

Banned
Nintendo would be stupid not to follow this up with news of NX in some form be it a date of the reveal or something.

That'd smash those stocks right through the roof.

People hating on this.

Do you not hold right the entire time on most Mario levels anyway? The way 2D Mario was meant to be played, pure speed runs.

Speed runs are impressive because they are demonstrations of skill and mastery.

This is like claiming that autoaim is the way a shooter is meant to be played because you're supposed to hit things, lol.

Baha

I was expecting a Dr. Mario or a Picross for mobile, feeling very cold on this runner announcement. It's not that I don't think it will be a good game, in all likely hood it will be but I'm just not a fan of the runner genre on mobile.

Realeza

Banned
It is kind of unbelievable seeing Miyamoto on an Apple stage. I guess a lot can change in a few years.

That aside, on the game itself, I'll give it a whirl but it doesn't seem to be anything earth shattering. Is this a Dena game or Nintendo internal?

A Nintendo developed Mario game with what it seems actual level-design is already better than 99% of what's available on mobiles.

Top Bottom