• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

Scrawnton

Except they will make more money on the mobile games than their console games :)

They'll make more money on this game than they do a singular console game but it will not come close to the revenues made from owning a console platform to themselves.

zoukka

They'll make more money on this game than they do a singular console game but it will not come close to the revenues made from owning a console platform to themselves.

Sure, but calling these mobile ventures just marketing for their brands is too reductive.

That was exactly Nintendo's intention from the beginning.

Yup, it's IP awareness software and a means of getting people to make Nintendo Accounts. Long term goal is to move people to Nintendo's own platforms.

I think one of Nintendo's other goals, which cropped up under Kimishima's investor briefings, was to make sure that their mobile software business is profitable on its own as well.

Scrawnton

Sure, but calling these mobile ventures just marketing for their brands is too reductive.
I don't think people are purposely being reductive. Nintendo flat out said they were making mobile games in a way that drives consumers to buy their dedicated gaming devices. It's what Nintendo said themselves.

I don't think people are purposely being reductive. Nintendo flat out said they were making mobile games in a way that drives consumers to buy their dedicated gaming devices. It's what Nintendo said themselves.

Yup. Heck, while Sony/ForwardWorks' overall mobile strategy is to make standalone games, there was a slide in the presentation that basically said "My first Sony".

The whole point being that smart devices are the first point of contact between new generations and product lines, so having a presence there in a way that relates to Sony's core PS business makes sense.

I don't think Sony's mobile efforts are in IP awareness though, but more to drive people towards engaging with the PS brand. The games and brands revealed make the whole effort from ForwardWorks feel like Sony's next-gen handheld gaming platform - a post-Vita plan that'll bring in the kind of revenue they want.

Scrawnton

Yup. Heck, while Sony/ForwardWorks' overall mobile strategy is to make standalone games, there was a slide in the presentation that basically said "My first Sony".

The whole point being that smart devices are the first point of contact between new generations and product lines, so having a presence there in a way that relates to Sony's core PS business makes sense.

I don't think Sony's mobile efforts are in IP awareness though, but more to drive people towards engaging with the PS brand. The games and brands revealed make the whole effort from ForwardWorks feel like Sony's next-gen handheld gaming platform - a post-Vita plan that'll bring in the kind of revenue they want.

Sony's mobile initiative just feels like a burn to their fans considering how hard and fast they dropped Vita, a system with a touch screen that could also get all of these games. I worry that Nintendo will fall down that sink hole as well.

I do not want iOS games at the detriment to Switch games.

eojoko

The point is it's more than just marketing. That it will drive consumers to their dedicated gaming devices is a secondary effect. It's still a Nintendo game in its own right.

Inside

Do we know if it is possible to buy it now on iOS and then later continue in the android version?

I would prefer the android version but the unknown release date is killing me. So maybe I should start getting it for the iPad.

Hopefully it will have google login like Pokemon GO

killercow

Do we know if it is possible to buy it now on iOS and then later continue in the android version?

I would prefer the android version but the unknown release date is killing me. So maybe I should start getting it for the iPad.

Hopefully it will have google login like Pokemon GO

It will have a My Nintendo login but I doubt it's going to enable cross saving.

I am standing by my educated guess...

t1481824800z0.png

Based on the embargo for reviews and unrestricted video content this seem right. At worst add one hour on. No one should be expecting it before then.

Maybe Nintendo didn't produce enough Mario runners and the game is going to be sold out until a new shipment comes next year. Nintendo is cautious and conservative even with digital releases.

Edit: Damn you Gamecocks625

ubiblu

You may joke, but the Switch launch will be another classic Nintendo undersupply disaster. Hard to meet impossible demand expectations, reminiscent of the Wii, Smash Bros Amiibos, and the NES Mini.

It went on sale, you guys didn't get it?

I swear the sale marker was up for a few seconds... and then it sold out.

No. Not really. Where's my shit?

@MUWANdo

Banned
That was exactly Nintendo's intention from the beginning.

They said that but I don't think they really believed in the idea until Pokemon Sun/Moon came out and showed just how well it could work.

I'm sure the old guard like Miyamoto are secretly relieved they might actually be able to hang onto their own platforms for longer than some people have been anticipating.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Have they said whether this will cross save across iPhone and iPad?

Man... I know it won't affect this game in the long run but this wait is painful. I actually considered staying up until midnight last night to see if it released! Really damn glad I didn't.

I really hope that Mario Run proves that slightly higher pricing on mobile can work, but... I also wish it would show Apple that gamers expect release dates to mean 12:01AM that day!

Is there anyone familiar enough with releases on the App store to know if this is just how things are? I'm too used to console/PC.

It's almost here!

Except for me and fellow Android users darn :-(

Still, I expect SMR to perform very well from the standpoint of sales and revenue despite its high price tag in the mobile space.

Have fun lucky Apple folks!

I walk past an Apple Store every day, so popped in again because I wanted to double check again on how smooth this game felt. Yeah, it's not solid 60fps, noticable stutters on an iPhone 7 plus and non-plus. Nothing bad, I'll still buy it, but there it is.

Chorazin

I walk past an Apple Store every day, so popped in again because I wanted to double check again on how smooth this game felt. Yeah, it's not solid 60fps, noticable stutters on an iPhone 7 plus and non-plus. Nothing bad, I'll still buy it, but there it is.

I wonder if part of that problem is it's running on phones that haven't been rebooted in ages, get used ALL day long, and have all sorts of random apps opened up whenever?

pdk27

I see in the Nintendo Downloads thread that Nintendo put Super Mario Run in the NA eShop PR. I bet they are timing it so it goes live on the App Store when the eShop usually gets updated (noon EST).

Performance annoys me, sonic runners had issue too even on the latest phones and for such a game you need the framerate to stay up to do well, maybe mario is a little simpler and slower but still.

There's little reason why a modern iphone should have performance issues when a game is made well.

Was hoping I would wake up this AM and play this from bed. Nope. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I played it in the Apple Store.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the game has framerate drops on an iPhone 7 Plus, then it's probably also gonna have drops on my iPad Pro 9.7. Oh well, I can live with that.

have they said there is an ipad version, or will you just be running the scaled up iphone version?

Top Bottom