• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

The sad thing about people asking for "premium games" on mobile is they seem oblivious to quality unless the game was popular elsewhere first. I feel like many more people got excited about Bully coming to mobile platforms - which is great, but is just a port - than there were people that got excited about something original that excels on the platform; like Reigns, Love You To Bits and loads of others.

I may not have been very active talking about mobile games on the forum this year, but I still have a whole page (that's 24 apps) of iOS games that I paid for and enjoyed this year.
I think there are a lot of factors. The aforementioned battery life is one.
The unfamiliarity with the platform is another; someone who has some knowledge probably recognizes names like Simogo, Inkle, Fireproof, Kumobius, etc., but a newcomer doesn't know what devs and games to look for and will probably just go to the Top Charts or something.
Some might say learning about games is an issue, but considering the threads on GAF, the mobile focused sites, and the Editor's Choices and curated lists on the App Store, I think that's kind of an excuse.
Volume is another IMO; new games come and go so fast, often weekly, that many might not have enough time in the spotlight to really breathe and get noticed

DJKhaled

Lol so they've pretty much lied about a launch on the 15th in Australia then. It's been on the front page saying the 15th for months but it's 7pm now and still nothing.

ZeroX03

Banned
Lol so they've pretty much lied about a launch on the 15th in Australia then. It's been on the front page saying the 15th for months but it's 7pm now and still nothing.

I can't give you exact times/examples, but I believe this has happened with the App Store a few times before. Australia and NZ are far ahead enough in time zones that apps release the day after. It's not like Nintendo themselves haven't done this quite a bit over the current gen with things releasing Saturday instead of Friday like the rest of the world. Only time it's particularly annoying is when it's physical goods and shipments are delayed until Tuesday.

sgtdecimal

Neo Member
Giant Bomb has their quick look going up at 10am pst. So hopefully somewhere around this time?

hqF7KHe.png

Was hoping this released on midnight, since I'm staying up to watch America vs Real Madrid and because my sister is pulling an all nighter for her essay.

Its gonna be a long night now.

jts

...hate me...
With this kind of anticipation I can easily see the servers crashing hard anyway.

Won't get much better during the weekend.

Plan to play it by next week 🤔

With this kind of anticipation I can easily see the servers crashing hard anyway.

Won't get much better during the weekend.

Plan to play it by next week 🤔
Well you'll be able to download the game, Apple's infrastructure is solid. But I expect the game to fail to connect to Nintendo's servers...

kiri

Well you'll be able to download the game, Apple's infrastructure is solid. But I expect the game to fail to connect to Nintendo's servers...

I have a feeling this might happen too, though that being said, Miitomo's servers during launch were pretty solid if memory serves.

jts

...hate me...
Yep, that's what I'm getting at. Waiting on Nintendo/DeNA to surprise me though.

I have a feeling this might happen too, though that being said, Miitomo's servers during launch were pretty solid if memory serves.
Miitomo wasn't worldwide and it wasn't Mario...

Mik2121

So in most countries where it is advertised as being released on the 15th it will release on the 16th instead? Weird.

If it's 6 or 7PM GMT, then it will be 16th in only a few countries. Still, here in Japan it says

RELEASING DECEMBER 15th (Pacific Standard Time)

With the PST part being the smallest font you could ever imagine :/

If it's 6 or 7PM GMT, then it will be 16th in only a few countries. Still, here in Japan it says

Ah heck, it does.
2016年12月15日配信(太平洋標準時)
I wonder if there's a similar caveat on the Australia site. (Is there specifically an Australian site?)

Tanzen

It's
not
OUT
yet

The Review embargo is 18 GMT, 19 CET, don't hold your breath and good night, fellow americans.

Robin64

Mildly excited for this. Also eager to see how integrated with My Nintendo it becomes. Will there be Missions up? More rewards than just Toad?

KtSlime

The 15th PST isn't the 15th at all, it's almost the 16th in any place that matters.

Mik2121

The 15th PST isn't the 15th at all, it's almost the 16th in any place that matters.
You know it's already the 15th PST, right? Where do you live that isn't the 15th already??

7PM GMT is around 2AM here in Japan but all countries below GMT+5 will still be the 15th...

mandiller

It's almost the end of the 15th in Australia. Yet our app store says it releases on the 15th. Weird. You'd think with a game this big they'd get it right.

Top Bottom