• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

I think the angle here is that people don't really think about "oh this uses my location so it HAS to be online" they just play it. It doesn't matter that much. Candy Crush could also definitely be offline.
You can play candy crush offline tho, it just checks in when you reconnect.
I think their point was being always online isn't going to affect sales.
It probably won't affect sales much but it's a silly requirement for a game of this type.

Lazaro

It's weird the game hasn't come out yet.

I'm hoping they made a last minute decision to remove the Always online thing, lol.

Flip4k

I'm pretty bummed this requires an online connection. I'm going on a 5 hour flight tomorrow and would've loved to have spent it playing this,

I'm hoping they made a last minute decision to remove the Always online thing, lol.

Most games require online already. I don't know why most people were freaking out about it rather than just being a little disappointed. I saw the argument that they can't play in a subway, apparently they have their signals blocked off since a lot of the time, they're underground from what I've seen which is understandable.

(I've never been on one, as I've lived out in the country my whole life and the capital city in my state, Columbus OH in my case, I believe doesn't have subways since we use buses. Don't know about Cleveland or Cincinnati.)

I do go camping once or twice a year where there's no signal so with my experience with Pokemon GO, I can agree it can be a nuisance, but I don't think it's anything that can vastly hinder the quality of the game. It's just a norm that absolutely most people are used to. As long as it doesn't use a crap ton of data during long sessions, I don't think it'll be a big deal.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Perhaps Nintendo will do something similiar to what Bethesda recently did with "Doom" and remove the drm after it's been out awhile. Or as speculated, it's been slightly delayed to remove the online requirement.

For a premium mobile price of $10, I want to be able to play Mario without being tied to an internet connection. :(

BigDug13

People are mad about the always online thing because of the principle, right? Cant think of many times I don't have reception or WiFi that I'd want to play a game. It does suck for people playing on iPod Touches but I can't believe there's that many people in that situation.

You can't imagine a plane, train, subway, etc? I lose connection all the time on transportation.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Most games require online already. I don't know why most people were freaking out about it rather than just being a little disappointed. I saw the argument that they can't play in a subway, apparently they have their signals blocked off since a lot of the time, they're underground from what I've seen which is understandable.

(I've never been on one, as I've lived out in the country my whole life and the capital city in my state, Columbus OH in my case, I believe doesn't have subways since we use buses. Don't know about Cleveland or Cincinnati.)

I do go camping once or twice a year where there's no signal so with my experience with Pokemon GO, I can agree it can be a nuisance, but I don't think it's anything that can vastly hinder the quality of the game. It's just a norm that absolutely most people are used to. As long as it doesn't use a crap ton of data during long sessions, I don't think it'll be a big deal.
Honestly, I tend to only play mobile games when I don't have internet access. I have an 8 hour flight tomorrow and it would have been fun. Going to simply skip it now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I just found out that this is being developed not just internally, but by the OG Super Mario team as well.

And that's just so...SAD. :(

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Because instead of getting a proper Super Mario 5, we're getting..this. A mobile game. That requires internet. And is ten bucks.

I am as upset about always online as you are probably, but mobile games can be worth ten bucks and much more. Devaluing mobile games like we all have so far may just kill a lot of the games we like. Unless every game made has to be a privacy invading micro transaction focused game which is designed to frustrate people who do not buy items in app... :/.

ZeroX03

Banned
Because instead of getting a proper Super Mario 5, we're getting..this. A mobile game. That requires internet. And is ten bucks.

Oh god no

A mobile game

That means it must be bad

Ignore that there are plenty of other great, fully functional titles on mobile with premium pricing

Because Oblivion said it's a mobile game in italics

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

They are developing a proper 3d Mario forse switch
Cut this..well. ..

Plus playing it is obvious that the level design is from a talented team

Size says "coming soon" there
4PIJkEk.png

Prototype

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You're not getting this game over another one, it doesn't work like that. There was no super Mario 5. Lol.

Also it's pretty 2009 to whine about a game being "mobile". The world is leaving you and your opinions behind. Have fun.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Huh? That's awesome! Can't wait to play this.

iOS is not an inherently inferior platform. Don't treat it as such.

Get out with this shit.

I'm not a mobile gamer, but if it's good does it matter?

Sad? That sounds awesome!!! You people are weird

A little dramatic there, don't you think

I am as upset about always online as you are probably, but mobile games can be worth ten bucks and much more. Devaluing mobile games like we all have so far may just kill a lot of the games we like. Unless every game made has to be a privacy invading micro transaction focused game which is designed to frustrate people who do not buy items in app... :/.

How about we get a $10 Mario game now on mobile, and a $50 one early next year on Switch?

Oh god no

A mobile game

That means it must be bad

Ignore that there are plenty of other great, fully functional titles on mobile with premium pricing

Because Oblivion said it's a mobile game in italics

I can just hear the disdain oozing from that comment

They are developing a proper 3d Mario forse switch
Cut this..well. ..

Plus playing it is obvious that the level design is from a talented team

Wait, so all of you would prefer to have this, than a proper, original, 2D Mario platformer on the Switch?

And also, did I step into the future or something? When did we suddenly start appreciating mobile games?

Wait, so all of you would prefer to have this, than a proper, original, 2D Mario platformer on the Switch?

And also, did I step into the future or something? When did we suddenly start appreciating mobile games?

This absolute drivel coming from a person choosing that avatar to represent his posts is too much for me take this early in the morning

When we all grew up and realized that mobile is a perfectly competent platform with tons of good games on it.

Put on your grown-up pants and try it out.

Pit

Lol who says we won't get 2D Mario on the switch? Why can't we have both? And why 2D? Maybe you should step into the future and give up with saying mobile games are trash because they exist instead of something else. This game looks fun, I don't know what your problem is.

MUnited83

For you.

yeah, Nintendo has totally canned the new SM for the Switch because of this, surely. That makes a lot of sense.

You
don't
have
to
choose

Also, there's plenty of great mobile games out there.

Shearie

I just found out that this is being developed not just internally, but by the OG Super Mario team as well.

And that's just so...SAD. :(

I decided to do a quick look up at Wikipedia for this game to see who at Nintendo is developing it and the director of this is Takashi Tezuka, the guy who was the director of little known games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

Richie

Mobile prejudices aside, you're Implying we -aren't- getting an original 2D Mario platformer on the Switch at one point or another. Come on, man.

Miyamoto and Co. aren't being *forced* to make this, y'know. They're clearly liking this project.

Top Bottom