• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Run |OT| Dash, Jump, Switch

Well, I guess the plus side is that this might introduce a lot more people to mobile. Would be cool to get another influx of regulars over in the iOS threads. Binding of Isaac is supposed to be coming next month, although there's a very slight chance it might still make 2016

Lazaro

Because instead of getting a proper Super Mario 5, we're getting..this. A mobile game. That requires internet. And is ten bucks.

This is a massive revenue stream for Nintendo and shareholders/media have been requesting this for ages, since like iPhone launch in 2006. Shareholders were disappointed with Nintendo's not-so direct involvement with Pokémon GO, so the original Mario team is working on this to answer those investor calls this was likely planned ages ago.

This is most likely funding the next huge 3D Mario game we are all waiting for. It's very much worth it for us and Nintendo.

Wow this thread took a turn for the worst suddenly

Super Mario 5? This game means no new mario for switch? Mobile games can't be appreciated?

Zackat

I play hearthstone on my phone. But I am all for more premium games like this one going on mobile devices. If it's good I will play it. Android some time next year I take it?

I play hearthstone on my phone. But I am all for more premium games like this one going on mobile devices. If it's good I will play it. Android some time next year I take it?
There are already hundreds of premum games on mobile, the vast majority way cheaper than $10. Even if this turns out to be one of the best runners on the platform, there are also tons of great RPGs, puzzle games, digital gamebooks/adventure games, strategy games, roguelikes, ports, etc. available at premium prices

Technically a theoretical new entry in the "Super Mario Bros." series would be "Super Mario Bros. 5" so they're not exactly wrong.

chrono01

I've been playing mobile games since Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy. I've always loved mobile gaming!

There's really no difference between an iPhone/Android and a 3DS/Vita game. A good game is a good game, it doesn't matter on which platform it belongs.

But yeah, I'm really excited for this one! It'll be nice to play a game on my iPhone that isn't gatcha-based. Here's hoping the app stores update shortly...

AgeEighty

I'm pretty bummed this requires an online connection. I'm going on a 5 hour flight tomorrow and would've loved to have spent it playing this,

Maybe this is my internet addiction talking, but I couldn't imagine going on a 5 hour flight and not springing for the in-flight wifi.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I admit I did not expect such a reaction.

In my defense though, I still plan on trying it out, so we can all chillax.

A good game is a good game regardless of platform

Is basically what it boils down to.

I believe this will be great.

I decided to do a quick look up at Wikipedia for this game to see who at Nintendo is developing it and the director of this is Takashi Tezuka, the guy who was the director of little known games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

This is a big reason why!

Because instead of getting a proper Super Mario 5, we're getting..this. A mobile game. That requires internet. And is ten bucks.
Proper Super Mario 5? Did the NSMB games not count? There were like five of them.

Nintendo even released a game that lets you make your own Marios. And Nintendo didn't even develop this game, DeNA did. I'm not sure why anyone should be upset about this.

But yeah, I'm really excited for this one! It'll be nice to play a game on my iPhone that isn't gatcha-based. Here's hoping the app stores update shortly...
Come by the monthly threads some time. If all you play is gatcha (seriously, I don't even know what that genre even is besides it's being F2P), you're missing out. There's cool stuff releasing every week without fail, to the point that it can be overwhelming to keep up with all the good/interesting games

I did this thread last year highlighting over 100 releases from 2015, categorized by genre, and I'm currently working on the 2016 thread

When Mario Maker released, I figured all future 2D mario games would be Mario Makers sequels.

I'm sure i'm wrong tho, just that feeling of creating levels made me feel 2D mario games would be redundant.

Is there a Mario 4?

That's news to me

It was the first game released on the Super Famicom.

NYZXgc0.jpg

EDIT: Beaten by AgeEighty

There are already hundreds of premum games on mobile, the vast majority way cheaper than $10. Even if this turns out to be one of the best runners on the platform, there are also tons of great RPGs, puzzle games, digital gamebooks/adventure games, strategy games, roguelikes, ports, etc. available at premium prices

The sad thing about people asking for "premium games" on mobile is they seem oblivious to quality unless the game was popular elsewhere first. I feel like many more people got excited about Bully coming to mobile platforms - which is great, but is just a port - than there were people that got excited about something original that excels on the platform; like Reigns, Love You To Bits and loads of others.

I may not have been very active talking about mobile games on the forum this year, but I still have a whole page (that's 24 apps) of iOS games that I paid for and enjoyed this year.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Hey, I can't give exact times as per embargo but... you're gonna need to wait. Not coming out this morning (Euro time)

Wait, so all of you would prefer to have this, than a proper, original, 2D Mario platformer on the Switch?

And also, did I step into the future or something? When did we suddenly start appreciating mobile games?

It's not like we can't have one without the other. It's not a zero sum game. Plus, there's nothing wrong with mobile games that are ACTUALLY GOOD.

The sad thing about people asking for "premium games" on mobile is they seem oblivious to quality unless the game was popular elsewhere first. I feel like many more people got excited about Bully coming to mobile platforms - which is great, but is just a port - than there were people that got excited about something original that excels on the platform; like Reigns, Love You To Bits and loads of others.

I may not have been very active talking about mobile games on the forum this year, but I still have a whole page (that's 24 apps) of iOS games that I paid for and enjoyed this year.

Well said.
Mobile can hold it's own when creating unique and more importantly fun games.
People that berate others for mobile gaming, sure are missing out on some quality titles.
$10 for a new Mario game seems like a no brainer to me. Quality looks excellent from the *albeit limited* footage I've seen.

Pachimari

Wait, so all of you would prefer to have this, than a proper, original, 2D Mario platformer on the Switch?

And also, did I step into the future or something? When did we suddenly start appreciating mobile games?
What the fuck am I reading. I just woke up, have mercy on me.

You do realize this means that the level design is going to be very well done, most mobile games require internet anyway, and $10, which is generous of Nintendo for a 6 world 24 stage Mario game WITH replay value, ensures a premium title. Square Enix also announced that future handheld titles will get mobile versions as "Premium Mobile Games", as you can see with them experimenting with the mobile space recently like with the classic games. I'm all for it! This is making me want to play mobile games, because they won't be half-assed freemiums where you find yourself spending hundreds on useless micro transactions when you spend a fixed amount for the game license only.

*I really hope the handheld games will use the Square save cloud so I can alternate from Vita/Switch to Mobile so I can play during breaks at work*

chrono01

Come by the monthly threads some time. If all you play is gatcha (seriously, I don't even know what that genre even is besides it's being F2P), you're missing out. There's cool stuff releasing every week without fail, to the point that it can be overwhelming to keep up with all the good/interesting games

I did this thread last year highlighting over 100 releases from 2015, categorized by genre, and I'm currently working on the 2016 thread
Thanks, I'll definitely check these threads out!

The only issue I have with mobile gaming on my phone is how quickly it drains my battery life. Other than that, I'm in full support of it. I also still play my console games, so to those that might be thinking you need to choose one side or the other, you don't. Enjoy both gaming options, and you will find your life even more fulfilled!

As for not knowing what "gatcha games" are, it's probably for the best. They are a danger to both your free time, as well as your wallet. I speak from personal experience. I only spend money on the ones I get a nice amount of enjoyment from, though. It's my way of supporting the developers, and I have no problem whatsoever doing that.

Okay, I admit I did not expect such a reaction.

In my defense though, I still plan on trying it out, so we can all chillax.

It's actually smart to have the cream of the crop developing what Nintendo hopes will be bringing lapsed gamers to its platforms. If Super Mario Run sucks, nobody will want to get a 3DS or a Switch. The experience has to be great.

When does this go up? Midnight PST?

This seem to be a unique release time. It is not matching up with the usual iOS release previous of any previous apps I can remember.

So, it could release any time. I do believe it will be at the top of the hour though, but there is a lot of hours to choose from.

BooJoh

Why do we need a "proper Super Mario 5"? This isn't like Sonic where the series has lost its direction, we're pretty much due for Super Mario 9 next (if I'm counting the NSMBs correctly and not forgetting anything.)

And this is more of a spin-off anyway.

When Mario Maker released, I figured all future 2D mario games would be Mario Makers sequels.

I'm sure i'm wrong tho, just that feeling of creating levels made me feel 2D mario games would be redundant.

Nah, think about it like this: there's a huge difference between limitless levels of varying quality from users and a brand new game with 100 or so masterfully-crafted levels from Nintendo that make use of new power-ups and gameplay elements.

I'm not saying user levels are bad, but they really are no substitution for the genuine article in most cases.

Top Bottom