• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Meat Boy |OT|

Salsa

DGyxe.png

sXZNh.png

5bANN.png

"Super Meat Boy is a game where you play as a boy without skin whos girlfriend who is made of bandages gets kidnapped by a fetus in a tuxedo wearing a top hat and a monocle."

The game sees players taking on the role of a small animated cube of meat named Meat Boy who must save his girlfriend, Bandage Girl, from the evil Dr. Fetus. Players must use sharp reflexes to guide Meat Boy to the end of each level, using his wall clinging ability, whilst avoiding buzzsaws, salt, and other various death bringing obstacles. The game will contain about 350 levels, which are split across various chapters. Levels in each chapter can be played in any order, but a certain number of levels need to be completed to access the boss stage. Completing a level with an 'A' grade will unlock a harder alternate level. Characters from various indie games can be unlocked by collecting bandages hidden in the levels, or entering warp zones featuring retro styled bonus levels. These levels will also have retro rules applied to them (such as a three life limit). There will also be a replay function, showcasing failed attempts simultaneously. The XBLA version will feature an unlockable mode which will be freely updated with new levels. A full level editor was planned, but due to new regulations concerning user made content on consoles, only the PC and Mac versions of the game will have this feature, which will be released some time after the PC version ships.

RWanA.png

Along with Meat Boy, there will be 15 unlockable characters appearing from various indie videogames, each with unique abilities. These characters can be unlocked by collecting enough bandages or completing certain warp zones. Some bandages can only be collected by using certain characters.

Meat Boy
Gish - Sticks to Walls
Tim (Braid) - Can rewind time three seconds
Commander Video (Bit.Trip series) - Can hover in mid-air
Alien Hominid - Can shoot downwards to slow descent
Fly Wrench - Can triple jump
Ogmo (Jumper) - Can double jump
Spelunky - Has an explosive jump
Ninja(N/N+) - confirmed by G4, no commentary was given on the developer's side.
Castle Crasher
The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)
Jill (Mighty Jill Off)

update: Mr.Minecraft confirmed as a playable character in the PC version!

- Character Rooster with artwork

tE7IU.png

super-meat-boy-20100224044034320_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044051944_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044045476_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044040539_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044049851_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100111095600272_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044056663_640w.jpg

super-meat-boy-20100224044054241_640w.jpg

Teaser Trailer

Best Commercial Ever

Launch Trailer

Pretty much all you need to see.

JQ27f.png

Q: When is this game coming out on PS3?

A: Never

Q: Why should I pay for this? Its free on Newgrounds!

A: It's not the same game idiot, die in a carpet fire.

KPlCl.png

Team Meat's blog

Gametrailers Exclusive Meaty Commentary - part 1

Gametrailers Exclusive Meaty Commentary - part 2

Giant Bomb's Quick Look

skEfk.png

Joystiq - 9/10

Super Meat Boy comes down to personal skill, which might be the only reason I didn't fling the controller through the window. In other words, if you fail, it's your fault. If the levels weren't well-designed, or if the controls were off even by the slightest bit, Super Meat Boy would be an entirely different experience. As it stands, it's one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Eurogamer - 9/10

To rein in the hyperbole for a second, it is not quite that inventive or inspirational, but beneath the veil of difficulty it is every bit as inviting and thrillingly engineered. Super Meat Boy starts out as just another indie game that revels in driving you crazy, but you end up crazy in love.

TeamXbox - 9.8/10

Super Meat Boy is a love letter to everything that's great about video games. The experience runs the fine line of punishing and rewarding and has the ability to make you feel like you've achieved the impossible. It's an absolute must-buy from Xbox Live Arcade and should be found on every hard drive of every Xbox in existence. While this all sounds like high praise, Super Meat Boy earns every word of it.

1up - A

Super Meat Boy's greatest strength has to be how it never takes itself too seriously -- as maddening as some of the levels got, I could never stay angry at the game for too long. So, yes, it can be frustrating, but getting past those roadblocks also leads to the game's most memorable moments. If you give it a chance I'm sure you'll feel the same.

Console Monster - 9.4/10

Super Meat Boy will easily now be a favourite of mine in the XBLA line-up and regardless of your gaming tastes demonstrates a slickness that other titles can only dream of. If precision perfect brick wall challenging platforming is your idea of a night well spent, or in simple N+ tickled your fancies, Super Meat Boy is sure to deliver and should be checked out right away.

Destructoid - 9.5/10

First there was Donkey Kong, then came Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic. Now we have Meat Boy. The world's newest 2D platforming legend has arrived.

IGN - 9/10

Super Meat Boy is one of the best modern platformers. It's infuriating, exasperating, and arduous, but it's also delightful, thrilling, and hilarious. The NES games of yore were simultaneously simpler and more challenging than today's games, a quality perfectly emulated here. Invite some friends over and pass the controller around -- you're gonna need all the help you can get.

Giant Bomb - 5/5

Super Meat Boy knows exactly what it wants to do, which is to baffle, entertain, and frustrate you, to fill you with joy and rage in equal measure. And by God it does all those things without apology. This game is most certainly not for everyone--if you can't handle extremely hard games, you're better off marveling at this spectacle from a distance--but those who can stomach the difficult and appreciate the bizarre will take every ounce of punishment Super Meat Boy dishes out and beg for more.

Official Xbox Magazine UK - 10/10

This may well be the best tenner you ever spend.

more universal praise coming..

TkP4Z.png

Can`t wait. This is gonna be great. I will probably get the xbox version, and maybe double dip on the steam version if there are any differences.

Salsa

Well, a typo, and transparencies are a bit fucked up. I didnt keep the .psd files so sorry about that :lol

first real OT, and its 4 am, so whatcanyouexpecttttt

HiResDes

What are you talking about?...Exactly job my friend. BTW, where in the world is it 4 in the morning right now, it's 2 right now on the eastside of the U.S.

Salsa

HiResDes said:
What are you talking about?...Exactly job my friend. BTW, where in the world is it 4 in the morning right now, it's 2 right now on the eastside of the U.S.

Thanks!

Just trying to shed some light on this wonderful indie masterpiece

Its been sooooooo long, cant believe its almost here (November for me though, PC version).

And its exactly 4:23am in Uruguay :D

HadesGigas said:
Gotta link that awesome 90s commercial in the op too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQZeQSaXwR8

Shiiiiiiiet. Added, cant believe i forgot.

I support this game! :D The devs are two really really really funny fuckers. Ive been following them for some time and listening to them on podcasts.
goteam.jpg

EDIT - Add this pic to the OP!

santouras

I love the game synopsis

Super Meat Boy is a game where you play as a boy without skin whos girlfriend who is made of bandages gets kidnapped by a fetus in a tuxedo wearing a top hat and a monocle.

incredible :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
hmm unless all the levels from teh internetz are xbla exclusive im thinking i should go with the pc version

having a hard time deciding if i should get this and lara croft for the rebate even though the pc versions are/will be better:lol

Nabs

Can't wait :) I hope the PC version gets a pre-order soon, so I can buy it and get it over with.

cooljeanius said:
Hopefully it's better than what he submitted for his WarioWare D.I.Y. Big Name Game...

not a chance

Nelo Ice said:
hmm unless all the levels from teh internetz are xbla exclusive im thinking i should go with the pc version

having a hard time deciding if i should get this and lara croft for the rebate even though the pc versions are/will be better:lol

The ones that Edmund makes are Xbox exclusive. But I imagine since they're just made with the level editor from the PC version, someone could recreate them without much trouble.

brb

This is the most excited I've been for a downloadable game ever. So hype! Can't wait for that Wii release.
Too bad Sony dropped the ball on getting it over to the PSN (or so I hear) I would love to play this in delicious HD.

Jonnyram

Will probably get this on Steam as I spend more time on my Mac than my 360 these days.

Also...
A full level editor was planned, but due to new regulations concerning user made content on consoles...
NEW regulations? N+ had the level editor removed too, and look when that came out.

Jonnyram said:
Will probably get this on Steam as I spend more time on my Mac than my 360 these days.

Mac version will be the last of the versions to come out. Mac gamers are probably used to that though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jonnyram said:

Also...
NEW regulations? N+ had the level editor removed too, and look when that came out.
I don't remember hearing about that. Brutal, if true.

OMG Aero

So are there any differences between versions other than the unlockable levels that only the 360 version gets and the level editor the PC/Mac versions will get?
I think I remember hearing on a podcast a while ago that some characters were only in certain versions but I haven't heard that anywhere else since then.

big_z said:
how many space bucks?

/fingers crossed for $10
Pretty sure that the XBLA one is 1200 points.

big_z said:
how many space bucks?

/fingers crossed for $10

$15, but there is a promotion where if you spend $30 this month on game add-ons/xbla games you get $10 back.

So if there's another game at $15 you've been eyeing for a price drop, this is pretty much one.

big_z

HadesGigas said:
$15, but there is a promotion where if you spend $30 this month on game add-ons/xbla games you get $10 back.

So if there's another game at $15 you've been eyeing for a price drop, this is pretty much one.

awesome i bought that crappy hedgehog game. this will refund most of my money.

We'll see if I cave and go XBLA, but for now I'm holding out for the Steam version (games like this are great for laptops and work machines). I loved Meat Boy so I've been anticipating this for quite a while.

Oh, shit, the third level in
Cotton Alley.
:lol

When you see a level like that and just laugh at the insanity of it, well, you know the game's doing something right. Looking forward to the Dark World version, then!

nofi said:
The game is awesome, proper awesome.

However, it's also incredibly hard. My 'review' goes live in about 5 minutes on TSA (will update with a link) but I can't give it a score because I can't finish the game... :/ :lol
How far'd you get?

Gong

Amir0x said:
welp this sounds completely amazing. Purchased on delivery.

It really is that good. Beware of insane hand cramps though, as ttk will attest to. I was left with a claw for most of the weekend :lol

snap0212

I was not going to buy it, because of the $15 price tag, but after watching more gameplay on IGN's Extra Live video feed I'm totally looking forward to playing it myself. Too bad it's not coming to PSN, but now I can take advantage of the XBL offering and get $10 back at the end of the month.

Davey Cakes

I remember playing through Jumper and Jumper 2, so I'd probably be used to the kind of difficulty that this game introduces. Consider me interested.

Shurs

I've really enjoyed the game thus far.

Even with the 360's analog stick, it controls really well.

The instant restarts really curb the potential frustration associated with the tougher levels.

The replay system is great in that it shows every one of your attempts at the same time.

The sense of humor is sound.

There is a lot of content. Well over 100 levels. The guy at the top of the leaderboard has "beat" 307 levels.

I do wish that the leaderboards were more in-depth. As far as I can tell, it only marks your total time and how many levels you've beaten.

Shurs said:
I do wish that the leaderboards were more in-depth. As far as I can tell, it only marks your total time and how many levels you've beaten.
Almost every level has its own leaderboard too, press Y on the map screen.

Top Bottom