• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Mercutio

HSS-0130 has crappy clone buttons, and they're soldered directly onto the PCB. Which is a shame because it really could have been the best retail stick ever.

The only cure is to remove the stock panel and burn it with fire. Then replace it with one of these fellows:

DAP_3298_zpsa358c7bb.jpg

You have to drill a hole in the HSS housing for the grounding bolt on the Sanwa panel, but it fits like a dream otherwise.

Ohh, nicely modded HSS on YAJ right now:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n129934516

Yes Boss!

HSS-0130 has crappy clone buttons, and they're soldered directly onto the PCB. Which is a shame because it really could have been the best retail stick ever.

Not to mention the clone buttons are quite a different shade...or at least they've changed with age.

Mercutio,

I did not have to do any case mod for a grounding bolt...just dropped a new panel right in.

I'm gonna show off mine again. Wanted one for years and finally got it and then promptly put in a new panel that I had waiting for the day I got the stick. I'm a shooter player so one-player for me:

null_zpse91aacab.jpg

I'm gonna show off mine again.

not gonna lie, your post about the hss-0130 is what inspired me to mod mine... 1L6B with pink player 2 colors..

also yeah being a shmup player, all i needed was that centered controls, this is best for candycab shmup playing too ;)

if you dont mind, ill post mine again as well :v
tumblr_mvlkb02wdM1rmse96o1_500.jpg

oh yeh we artsy

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hyperstick was 1996 and full Seimitsu

Ah that's right, I keep thinking that it was 1997. My mistake. I should know better seeing as I own a few of those lovely sticks.

Hard to remember all the sticks when there are so many out there. PS1/Saturn era had some of my favorite arcade sticks.

Namco Arcade Stick
Tekken 3 Real Arcade
Spital Sangyo
Hyper Stick
SEGA HSS-0130
SEGA HSS-0136
Hori Real Arcade SS/PS

Ugh, so many good ones.

Yes Boss!

One-player and Seimitsu for life!

I still need to get that stock astro thing in mine as well...and ditch the shitty fighting game strips that came with it. Only problem is that I don't want to take the one out of my cab. I'll try to find one in japan or something...no hurry.

Btw, there was a new-in-box PS1 Namco that I was following on eBay last week. Closed at about $60...which I though was a very good price...was going to grab it but then the listing said no PO Box shipping which meant I could not buy it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
i technically have one of these, but its stuck at a friend's in japan haha. ill get it when he comes home to the states during teh holidays... how is it? from what I've read, the buttons are kinda meh, and the JLF is mounted odd

Yeah, it's okay. I just like the simple black/grey design. The box is so cool though. I love old stuff.

Btw, there was a new-in-box PS1 Namco that I was following on eBay last week. Closed at about $60...which I though was a very good price...was going to grab it but then the listing said no PO Box shipping which meant I could not buy it.

The stick has been relisted! I wonder why! I was also following it.

Yes Boss!

The stick has been relisted! I wonder why! I was also following it.

Oh cool, a GAFer needs to grab it. I paid about $85 for my new-in-box a couple years ago. I do want a second one for my collection.

One day I'll get my Hyperstick...my next Holy Grail stick to go for. I've got most of my favorites but the Hyperstick has been ellusive!

Mercutio

Not to mention the clone buttons are quite a different shade...or at least they've changed with age.

Mercutio,

I did not have to do any case mod for a grounding bolt...just dropped a new panel right in.

I'm gonna show off mine again. Wanted one for years and finally got it and then promptly put in a new panel that I had waiting for the day I got the stick. I'm a shooter player so one-player for me:

It's gorgeous! The 2UP can get a little squished with multiple folks at it, I might change mine to a 1UP someday.

I don't think I've ever shown mine off in this section of GAF either. I'm pretty sure the grounding bolt is just on the newer Sanwa 2UP plates, but I'm not sure why.

DAP_3299_zps8b625f58.jpg

And the rear, which I added things to:

DAP_8910_zps170fa3fc.jpg

I also stole the "Instruction" bit from an actual Astro Cabinet panel.
DAP_8904_zpsa9ab1697.jpg

I don't think I've ever shown mine off in this section of GAF either.

cool stuff!
nice looking neutrik and db-15's there...
i was afraid to drill holes on the back from mine, so i drill through the metallic saturn sticker haha (notion was if i messed up, i can just replace/cover it up) and for my rj45 solution, i just had a cat6 cable sticking out in the other cable slot .. with a coupler at the end haha.

jelly about that v-saturn and omega mvs though, and taroumaru haha

Mercutio

cool stuff!
nice looking neutrik and db-15's there...
i was afraid to drill holes on the back from mine, so i drill through the metallic saturn sticker haha (notion was if i messed up, i can just replace/cover it up) and for my rj45 solution, i just had a cat6 cable sticking out in the other cable slot .. with a coupler at the end haha.

jelly about that v-saturn and omega mvs though, and taroumaru haha

Well, Taroumaru... you shouldn't... don't be jealous of that. Let's just say my Saturn can play a variety of media. And doesn't care about regions.

My HSS-0130 was $90 on YAJ, and it had been VERY poorly modified by someone for Dreamcast usage. The original panel was rusted badly, and the plastic had some pretty nasty marks on it. I had to use a lot of plastic re-finishers to return it to its original glory, and really there wasn't any collectivity to "destroy" given the shape it was in.

So, holes were hacked. Also added some extra buttons for "Home" for modern consoles and "Select" since so many Neo Geo games require Select to pause.

So wait, did you drill through the panel on the upper right? The HSS label, the metal thing? Can I see a shot of that? I'm curious as to what it looks like. I think if I did a 1UP panel I might try to get one of those SFIV ones with the card reader on it, then possibly have more connections in the card reader. Or something.

Mercutio

Sel/Back and PS/Guide , used chrome buttons :D

and haha, i have a very similar jp white sega saturn ;)

Oh man, that's class all the way! I never would have risked drilling that plate, but yours looks FANTASTIC.

Our Saturns are probably brothers or something. That's probably how that happened.

Ghazi

Guys, I found a HORI Soul Calibur V Arcade Stick, like new, for $60-$70. Is that a good deal? Seems pretty good to me, for what I can find on it! For reference it's this exact stick model.

Also, should I be worried about replacing parts for it soon, if I do get it?

Guys, this car was test driven around the block once, should I get new tires??
Obviously I meant in the quality of its components, I don't want to buy a WWE Brawl Stick in another casing and have to buy new buttons and stick for it right off the bat....

Guys, I found a HORI Soul Calibur V Arcade Stick, like new, for $60-$70. Is that a good deal? Seems pretty good to me, for what I can find on it! For reference it's this exact stick model.

Also, should I be worried about replacing parts for it soon, if I do get it?

Obviously I meant in the quality of its components, I don't want to buy a WWE Brawl Stick in another casing and have to buy new buttons and stick for it right off the bat....

It's already using Sanwa arcade-spec parts. It's nothing like the BrawlStick.

Ghazi

Yes, and it has the wrong layout too :( *So sad*

Ugly stick but it's still a good deal

By wrong layout you're referring to the B button being placed weirdly, right? I'll just change the settings in game, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also, I'd totally change the artwork if I could, I'll look into that if I get it. But some of the other features, like the area with the Guide button don't look as hot as Mad Catz stuff.

It's already using Sanwa arcade-spec parts. It's nothing like the BrawlStick.

NICE! That's a win then, I'll see if I can get it then!
No. I mean it doesn't use the Namco Noir Layout.
Noir%20Layout.png

Layout of the godz!

Ah, I'd never heard of Namco NOIR, my bad. Looks nice though, the spacing looks comfy. I thought it did, have the same layout at first (as the stick), but I can tell something's off, I just can't place my finger on it.

Zissou

I like the madcatz layout better. My middle finger and ring finger naturally end up on the same horizontal plane so having the third button in from the left be below the second is uncomfortable.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hey MARKMAN! Will we be able to put a Crown CWJ-303A into the new TE2?? I would love to use the Crown CWJ-303A in that if its easy to put in!

Also what other panel layouts will you have for the TE 2?

I hope you reply to this :)

Yes, the Crown CWJ-303A/FK will fit into the TE2. We won't have any other panel layouts available for the TE2 at launch but hopefully soon after.

It appears the release date on the KI fightstick has been pushed back to 12-13, according to Amazon and Gamestop.

The Madcatz website still shows an 11-22 release date. I called Madcatz today and the rep said it's still scheduled for an 11-22 release, though it is strange both Gamestop and Amazon have declared 12-13 the release date.

I'd love some clarification on whether the release was pushed back or not.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
We'll make an announcement today regarding preorders on our site. We don't comment on preorders for other sites as availability is based on them.

New002

Awesome Blast City panel! Our sticks are like brothers or something. What've you got inside there?

I wish I could take credit for it but the work was done by the original owner!

2 x 360 PCBs are sitting inside along with the typical Sanwa parts.

New002

Are the pcbs hot-glued in place and wired with stranded speaker wire??

You would know best, you put it together ;)

Imagine my surprise when I saw your username lol. I haven't been active on SRK in years.

Edit: Not to avoid the question, but I don't even remember. I haven't opened it up in years.

Yes Boss!

I'd love some clarification on whether the release was pushed back or not.

The preorders at the MC website have gone beyond the Pending/Able-To-Cancel to In Progress. That is usually a sign that they will ship once they get to the warehouse...that has been the case with previous preorders. Could be a few days, a week or whatever. I'm betting they will make it out by launch.

mdsfx

You would know best, you put it together ;)

Imagine my surprise when I saw your username lol. I haven't been active on SRK in years.

Edit: Not to avoid the question, but I don't even remember. I haven't opened it up in years.

Ha, no way! I had a feeling. It's great to see it's still being loved :) I spent so much time on that damn thing ha ha. Even put together the long overlay with SF characters. I will never forget when I drilled holes in the back for guide & back buttons. I was so nervous that i would destroy it. And yeah, I'm barely ever on SRK anymore either.

Here's a pic of it before I ordered the 2-P panel from Japan:

ArgRXk9.jpg

New002

Ha, no way! I had a feeling. It's great to see it's still being loved :)

And yeah, I'm barely ever on SRK anymore either.

Yes sir! Proudly displayed in the main media center and ready to be plugged in at any time lol. Kinda stings that I won't be able to use it on the Xbox One due to no backwards compatibility with 360 peripherals.

mdsfx

Some of the sticks I've owned and modified throughout the years (still crying over selling that solid-maple TMO case!):

My only stick now. Razer Atrox + LS-58:

9bCu6sL.jpg

Mercutio

Yes sir! Proudly displayed in the main media center and ready to be plugged in at any time lol. Kinda stings that I won't be able to use it on the Xbox One due to no backwards compatibility with 360 peripherals.

Well, if you ever want someone to muck around in there and add compatibility, I'd be happy to do it for you. You'd just have to pay for shipping / parts, I had a great time making mine and wouldn't mind at all working on someone else's for kicks.

I'm anxiously awaiting my PS4, almost entirely to see if my stick works with it. Recent reports have left me positive about the possibility...

phaonaut

Does anyone know if its possible to dual mod a Hori Fighting Edge (360), if not can you recommend a good 360 to PS3 adapter that would work.

mdsfx

Does anyone make an alternate plexi for the Razer stick? Really would like to lose the last 2 buttons/plugs.

Top Bottom