• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Mike M

Nick N
I already have a custom TE stick (Shittacular photo right here), but have been toying with getting a second stick for a while now. The Brawl stick at $30 was just too good a deal to pass up.

I don't know if I'm going to replace the stick and buttons (The stick would really only be for anyone who wants to play against me at home with me on my TE), but at the very least that artwork has got to go. I'm a bit wary though, as I'm really paranoid that I won't get the cutouts and corners just right, or the lamilabel perfectly aligned on the faceplate, etc. The TE was just a lot easier in that regard...

The artwork in the buttons is a neat look, how is that accomplished? Obviously transparent buttons, but are they hard to get apart and insert the button cut outs?

Doombear

The artwork in the buttons is a neat look, how is that accomplished? Obviously transparent buttons, but are they hard to get apart and insert the button cut outs?

I can only speak for the Sanwa 30mm snap in clear buttons, as those are what I have. I don't have my art from Art yet but I snapped out the plunger last night just to see how easy it was. Super easy it would seem. You really just have a plastic lock-snap on each side that needs to be pressed in to get the plunger out. Then you carefully pry the cap off the top of the insert. At that point you just put your artwork in, snap it all back together and you are good.

Very simple.

notworksafe

PM me the picture when you can notworksafe. :)
Fffffuuu--can't find it. I'll take a pic next time I see him and post it here.

It's a cool art, plus his stick has all the fancy doodads like RJ-45 and the detachable JLF shaft.

I don't know if I'm going to replace the stick and buttons (The stick would really only be for anyone who wants to play against me at home with me on my TE), but at the very least that artwork has got to go. I'm a bit wary though, as I'm really paranoid that I won't get the cutouts and corners just right, or the lamilabel perfectly aligned on the faceplate, etc. The TE was just a lot easier in that regard...
It'll take a bit of practice to get it right, so make sure you get 2-3 printouts. They are only $1-2 each so not too expensive.

Also I recommend getting a very shard x-acto knife and lots of spare blades. The sharper the blade is, the easier it will be to cut. You will probably have to replace the blade at least once during the cut to get it exactly right.

If you're using a super sharp blade the art will be easy enough to cut out and the buttons just pop apart. Nothing to it!

Doombear

There are also swivel blades. I have a couple different X-ACTO swivels that work well for circles and smaller more precise cutouts that involve a lot of different corners/curves. Takes a bit of practice when you start using them, but I like them much more than a straight X-ACTO for circles.

zbarron

It'll take a bit of practice to get it right, so make sure you get 2-3 printouts. They are only $1-2 each so not too expensive.

Also I recommend getting a very shard x-acto knife and lots of spare blades. The sharper the blade is, the easier it will be to cut. You will probably have to replace the blade at least once during the cut to get it exactly right.

If you're using a super sharp blade the art will be easy enough to cut out and the buttons just pop apart. Nothing to it!

Just bought a Brawl Stick and am going to go the Lami-Label route. I assume you need to take the ball off the joystick but do you need to remove the buttons as well?

Doombear

I would absolutely think so zbarron. The buttons' rim will overlap the faceplate, so the image will need to go underneath that. Then you snap the buttons back in. Sadly the Youtube tutorials by Dr. Shadow that I had bookmarked have all been removed. I am sure there are guides out there that lay it all out for you pretty decently.

Mike M

Nick N
Are there any templates out there for an SE stick that account for the rim of the buttons? I want to work the button labels into the art, but don't want them out too far or covered by the rim.

Yuripaw

Banned
IMAG0190.jpg

I know nothing about customizing controllers or arcade sticks, but I thought I'd ask people's advice on doing something here, and see if anyone could give me some help. I can't really afford to get an arcade stick, and I'm not really a big fan of playing most fighting games anymore. So in short, I really don't care about buying a fancy big arcade stick to customize.

However, I am looking forward to Persona 4 Arena, which is why I bought this fight pad recently fairly cheap from my work. Since it is basically just a black featureless pad, I figured it'd perfect if I could print up some kind of Persona 4 artwork to put on it. I'd like some advice on how I go about doing that. Can respond in topic, or PM me.

HoosTrax

Suppose I wanted to play arcade ARPGS like Gauntlet Legends -- would a Seimitsu stick (LS-32 specifically) be better for this? Do they lack that annoying deadzone?

The Sanwa bat top can be put on the LS-32 right?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Amiami still trying to find me an expaprize that I ordered, blugh. If the don't find one I'll be pretty bummed unless there are other places carrying them at the moment.

zbarron

I printed out the art from the template and it was too small. i checked in Photoshop and it says the same size that was printed. Anyone have any experience with this?

McNum

I printed out the art from the template and it was too small. i checked in Photoshop and it says the same size that was printed. Anyone have any experience with this?
Actually, yeah. For reasons I will reveal later, I have some very recent experience with it.

It all comes down to dpi. Now, the template I've been using was 300dpi, so when I printed it, I had to specify that it had to print at exactly 300dpi. If you haven't rescaled it you will get a print that is exactly the right size from that. Now I don't know what template you're using, so I can't be more specific.

The reason you do it like this is because dpi is Dots per Inch. So you have 300 pixels per inch. It makes it somewhat simple to do. But be aware that it may not fit on your paper at that size, so you may have to compensate by trimming the edges of the template. Deleting parts won't hurt the size, only scaling will. So don't scale the image, don't allow your printer to sale the image, 300dpi (or whatever your template suggests) on the dot. Not 299, not 301. 300.

zbarron

Yeah. My template was also 300dpi. There were words on the template implying that exact size was important so I assumed they could figure it out through the resolution. Also be warned anyone taking this route the colors get much duller when printing. A good comparison is how it looks in the pdf format. I thought it was a glitch so I gave a png but I guess that's just printing. Oh well. I'm probably going to change the design anyway. Sering it printed out made me realize it wouldn't look as god as I thought it would In person.

zbarron

So, the WWE fightsticks are $30 on Amazon, and I was wondering if anyone had the PS3 version and if it works on PC. Can anyone confirm this for me?
Your motherboard has to have an Intel or VIA chipset for it to be recognized. If you're mainly using it on the PC I recommend the 360 version whick I have. It's plug and play and newer PC games recognize it as a 360 controller which is really nice.

I don't know if I just got lucky or not but mine works really well. Even if it isn't up to your standards you can put in great parts in your choice of style for another 40-50 making it still an amazing price for a stick of that high quality.

Your motherboard has to have an Intel or VIA chipset for it to be recognized. If you're mainly using it on the PC I recommend the 360 version whick I have. It's plug and play and newer PC games recognize it as a 360 controller which is really nice.

I don't know if I just got lucky or not but mine works really well. Even if it isn't up to your standards you can put in great parts in your choice of style for another 40-50 making it still an amazing price for a stick of that high quality.
Curses. It seems I will have to go with the 360 version for now, then.

So. I am kinda new to arcade-sticks in general, but since I really wanted one sooner or later, I was thinking, what are good Sticks for PC?
Would also like to test it with some of my PC-Games I have like the Metal Slug Collection.
I never had one before, so you could say Im an arcade-stick virgin.
Since I am short on money now, I wonder if there are any good ones for 20-30€?

I guess not, right?
Thanks~

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yay got my first Arcade stick. (WWE Brawlstick)
Now looking for a way to remove the Ugly art and print a sticker to replace that horrible art XD. I'll do the Bayonetta sticker I had done but no buttons or other modifications at the moment. (No Budget until I sell stuff on Amazon and still have to pay for the box to send em so until I get $11.35 to sell my games I guess I'll be without modding the art and buttons since I want to do all the mods in one trip.

So. I am kinda new to arcade-sticks in general, but since I really wanted one sooner or later, I was thinking, what are good Sticks for PC?
Would also like to test it with some of my PC-Games I have like the Metal Slug Collection.
I never had one before, so you could say Im an arcade-stick virgin.
Since I am short on money now, I wonder if there are any good ones for 20-30€?

I guess not, right?
Thanks~

http://www.play-asia.com/Fanta_Stic...XIII_Edition/paOS-13-71-1i-49-en-70-4fqq.html

Doombear

Pupi, if you come across a decent tutorial (text or video) let me know! I had a few videos bookmarked for some time that went through the whole process of replacing the art on the Brawl Stick, but the user has closed down his Youtube Channel. =( I bought a Brawl Stick for a friend of mine and wanted to point him in a good direction for modding it.

Oh and congratulations! =P

So I bought a ~REAL SANWA JLF~ to replace the lemon on my stock Brawl stick, but I'm half convinced the fetch on the right input is longer than in any of the other directions. Is this something that can be fixed by tightening the screw on the bottom, am I fucked, or am I just imagining things?

zbarron

Pupi, if you come across a decent tutorial (text or video) let me know! I had a few videos bookmarked for some time that went through the whole process of replacing the art on the Brawl Stick, but the user has closed down his Youtube Channel. =( I bought a Brawl Stick for a friend of mine and wanted to point him in a good direction for modding it.

Oh and congratulations! =P

Step-By-Step Plus a Pigeon

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Well where I live there is no Lamilabel stuff I was wondering if using a sticker and then use Clear Lamination paper would give me similar effect?

Here's my trusty HRAP 2 SA as part of my PSone ghetto mini cab.

minicab.jpg

I have a variety of adapters to hook it up to just about any console I own. I can't bring myself to mod it, other than swapping sticks and buttons.

Running Wild

Neo Member
My most recent stick, dual modded VSHG, with a few random fighters from my PSX collection.
vshgswag.jpg

@ExitPlanetDust - That's seriously hardcore.

Onemic

My most recent stick, dual modded VSHG, with a few random fighters from my PSX collection.

@ExitPlanetDust - That's seriously hardcore.

DRAGONBALL GT FINAL BOUT?!?!?!?!

TG9kv.gif

I other news, how do you dual mod a stick? And how do you put custom stuff on a stick? I have the HORI UMvC3 stick and would love to replace the art on it.

Pupi18 said:
http://www.play-asia.com/Fanta_Stick_PX_King_of_Fighters_XIII_Edition/paOS-13-71-1i-49-en-70-4fqq.html

This looks really good, but sadly too much for my budget right now. Since I also wanted to buy two, one for me, one for my gf.

Tobe

hey guys im planning to buy the evo stick, but for they told me the madcatz store doesnt accept international credit cards, is that true.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
hey guys im planning to buy the evo stick, but for they told me the madcatz store doesnt accept international credit cards, is that true.

Depends on your bank and how it's set up. If it doesn't work, then we won't take it. We do accept paypal however.

Also, we do not ship internationally.

FStop7

Banned
I am totally new to the arcade stick black arts.

I just ordered the $29.99 WWE stick, that seemed like a good place to start.

In the long run is it better to get a stick that can be used with either console? Like for example do tournaments for games like UMVC3 or SSFIV use particular system?

Tobe

Depends on your bank and how it's set up. If it doesn't work, then we won't take it. We do accept paypal however.

Also, we do not ship internationally.

nothing to worry about just going to ship it to a friend in boston. so paypal is the way to go then. thanks markman

So I bought a ~REAL SANWA JLF~ to replace the lemon on my stock Brawl stick, but I'm half convinced the fetch on the right input is longer than in any of the other directions. Is this something that can be fixed by tightening the screw on the bottom, am I fucked, or am I just imagining things?

Update; I think I just had the screw on the bottom tightened a little too much... but I still think the distance I have to push right before I hear the "click" is longer than in any of the other three directions. Also, I can't get the balltop to stay screwed on. what

Top Bottom