• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

deim0s

Finally got around to modding some buttons and art work on my SCV TE

7760883006_df97f407ae_c.jpg

Wait, wait wha? Your case... smoked grey for the two sides?

Quadratic

Can someone point me to where I can get info on modding the art on a PS3 Hori RAP3 stick? It's quite old now and I was wondering if I can get the screws reversed so I don't need to access them from the bottom of the stick. Thanks.

SUPARSTARX

Did you do the artwork? Was thinking of getting some Persona 4 artwork for my PS3 SCV stick...
Yeah, did the background. The rest is just from the sprites that Dustloop ripped and just adding in some sharp shadows like how they do it in the game.

Wait, wait wha? Your case... smoked grey for the two sides?
I didn't change the sides yet, they're still clear blue and red. I am thinking of buying the wooden sides from Focusattack and making them black or dark grey. I left the edge bezel cuz it's kinda cool looking to compliment the stick overall.

DasRaven

Can someone point me to where I can get info on modding the art on a PS3 Hori RAP3 stick? It's quite old now and I was wondering if I can get the screws reversed so I don't need to access them from the bottom of the stick. Thanks.

Tek-innovations.com sells a top load conversion kit and custom cut plexi & art services.

Yeah, did the background. The rest is just from the sprites that Dustloop ripped and just adding in some sharp shadows like how they do it in the game.

I didn't change the sides yet, they're still clear blue and red. I am thinking of buying the wooden sides from Focusattack and making them black or dark grey. I left the edge bezel cuz it's kinda cool looking to compliment the stick overall.

Bah Much better then mine. But it gives me something to work upto!

McNum

Last week, I posted this:
Uh-oh. I think my Arcade Stick is broken. Well, my PS3 doesn't see it anymore, nor does my PC throw up its usual error when I try to connect it there. It's like it doesn't exist anymore. That's bad.
And frankly, I had no clue on what to do about it. I asked a few questions, got a few answers, although not always the answer I had hoped, but...

Today I'm posting this:
CustomStickDone.jpg

It's done. My very own first custom arcade stick. All that remains of the MadCatz SE stick it used to be is the case and most of the internal wires. The rest is new.

The buttons and stick are Siemitsu, the PCB is a PS3/PC Cthulhu, and I made the fractal design for the art myself.

Before you point it out, yes, I know the art is not cut cleanly, I'll have to do better with that next time, but overall, I'm happy with it. It's not half-bad for a first effort, if I do say so myself. I've learned a lot of things for if I have to do something like this again, like how not to use a cutting knife, and how to remove insulation from wires the right way. I can't say the build went smoothly, frankly it put up a fight. But that's to be expected, it's a fightstick, after all.

So thanks to everyone who helped me, it's much appreciated. And a special thanks to MarkMan and MadCatz for making a basic stick like the SE. There's not much left of the original now, but I'm happy I bought it anyway. I both had a lot of fun with the stock stick and learned a lot about modding from customizing it.

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new arcade stick but I would like some advice. Basically I don't know anything about arcade sticks and I'm not very good at fighting games, but I'd like to get something new for P4A and TTT2 this year.

Currently I have a Tekken 6 wireless stick for the PS3 and a Hori EX2 for the 360, I'm not sure if either are considered to be any good but I personally don't like them at all - particularly the weird square feel of the sticks (for lack of better words) which isn't like the arcade cabinets I'm used to. Due to space issues I'd like to get rid of both and pick up a stick that can be used on both systems.

From a quick search I found something called a Qanba Q4 which works on PS3, 360 and PC, is this a decent stick at all or is there something else I should look at getting instead?

DasRaven

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a new arcade stick but I would like some advice. Basically I don't know anything about arcade sticks and I'm not very good at fighting games, but I'd like to get something new for P4A and TTT2 this year.

Currently I have a Tekken 6 wireless stick for the PS3 and a Hori EX2 for the 360, I'm not sure if either are considered to be any good but I personally don't like them at all - particularly the weird square feel of the sticks (for lack of better words) which isn't like the arcade cabinets I'm used to. Due to space issues I'd like to get rid of both and pick up a stick that can be used on both systems.

From a quick search I found something called a Qanba Q4 which works on PS3, 360 and PC, is this a decent stick at all or is there something else I should look at getting instead?

Qanba Q4 is a good stick, especially if you want something out of the box that works.

You could also pick up a 360 MadCatz SCV, VS, or Pro Stick and add a TEKitty or Cerberus board to make it dual system capable.
These are simple and solder-free solutions, but do require some work to implement.

To get rid of the "square feeling" of your EX2/T6 sticks, you would want to look into arcade quality Seimitsu(LS32/56) and Sanwa(JLF) joysticks and their available octagonal and round restrictors.
Those will give you a better feeling stick.

Start reading here and check around SRK Tech Talk forum for all you'll ever need to know.

The Tekken 6 and EX2 use very sub-par quality parts, but I should point out square restrictors are standard on Japanese style levers, and IMO the best way to go - you have the best freedom of input (octagon and circle restrictors actually reduce the area you have to work with) while also providing very well-defined corners if you need them in a pinch.

It's amazing how many people don't realize the lever will actuate before reaching the edge of the restrictor, so there is no need to "ride the gate".

If you're looking for something that works on 360/PS3/PC out of the box, the Qanba (and the remarkably similar Eightarc) sticks all work well. Otherwise, if you would rather acquire a domestically-released stick and modify it to work on both 360 and PS3, the rule of thumb is to acquire the 360 version; there are many more means to make a 360 stick compatible with PS3 than the other way around.

thelastword

Banned
Is there a stick where the joystick in on the right instead of the left? I'm a right hander, I find that I'd rather control the stick with my right hand and push buttons with my left, is that weird or is there a product out there that caters to folk like me?

Orayn

Is there a stick where the joystick in on the right instead of the left? I'm a right hander, I find I'd rather control the stick with my right hand and push buttons with my left, is that weird or is there a product out there that caters to folk like me?

Other than that gimmicky, configurable abomination that is Nyko's Free Fighter, no recent joysticks have this by default. The good news is that this isn't hard to do if you get a custom top panel from Art's Hobbies, as all it requires is some unplugging and replugging of buttons and joystick cables.

Auskeek

Is there a stick where the joystick in on the right instead of the left? I'm a right hander, I find that I'd rather control the stick with my right hand and push buttons with my left, is that weird or is there a product out there that caters to folk like me?

I'm sure there are some more legitimate answers to this question, but the Nyko Free Fighter fits the bill...

E3-2012-Gear-Nyko,3-Y-340990-13.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Other than that gimmicky, configurable abomination that is Nyko's Free Fighter, no recent joysticks have this by default. The good news is that this isn't hard to do if you get a custom top panel from Art's Hobbies, as all it requires is some unplugging and replugging of buttons and joystick cables.
Ok , I just googled that and realize that you can simply detach and reattach the joystick to the side that you want, that's a pretty swell design concept and pretty much solves the issue, too bad the product is not of a high standard as you said.

On the flipside, I just bought this;

31iWCd8tzbL.jpg

and I'm trying to learn stick for the first time, so perhaps my left hand muscles have just not gotten used to it yet. I see an option for cross icey, left joystick and right joystick. Is there any advantage for changing this to any one in particular? Which configuration is better for fighters in general?

Orayn

Ok , I just googled that and realize that you can simply detach and reattach the joystick to the side that you want, that's a pretty swell design concept and pretty much solves the issue, too bad the product is not of a high standard as you said.

31iWCd8tzbL.jpg

On the flipside, I just bought this and I'm trying to learn stick for the first time, so perhaps my left hand muscles have just not gotten used to it yet. I see an option for cross icey, left joystick and right joystick. Is there any advantage for changing this to any one in particular? Which configuration is better for fighters in general?

That just selects which part of the controller you're having the joystick emulate - Left analog, right analog, or d-pad. Best to set it to d-pad/cross-key unless that doesn't work for some reason.

thelastword

Banned
That just selects which part of the controller you're having the joystick emulate - Left analog, right analog, or d-pad. Best to set it to d-pad/cross-key unless that doesn't work for some reason.
Ok thanks, I think it does work though, it's on cross icey at default and I've been trying out a bevy of fighters with it, they all seem to respond accordingly despite the odd new qwirks and feel of learning stick. I've tried changing it on this stick, but to me there's no indicator when it changes the joystick positioning, oh well, I'll play with it a bit more to find out.

Auskeek said:
I'm sure there are some more legitimate answers to this question, but the Nyko Free Fighter fits the bill...
Yes, I googled it and saw some pics earlier, it is a perfect solution, I'm just questioning the quality of the product at this point.

Snakeyes said:
That Chie stick is great.
What is this Chie stick you speak of? Is it related to the question I posed?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
So thanks to everyone who helped me, it's much appreciated. And a special thanks to MarkMan and MadCatz for making a basic stick like the SE. There's not much left of the original now, but I'm happy I bought it anyway. I both had a lot of fun with the stock stick and learned a lot about modding from customizing it.

Glad you're happy with it!

Are there any import shops in the SF/Bay Area to get Sanwa parts?

eightarc is located in SF. Might want to hit them up about parts.

I'm looking to buy an arcade stick for the 360 mainly for shmups, old school platforms and beat em ups. Any recommendations? I've tried the Hori EX-SE but I didn't like the button placement.

Saroyan

My first attempt at custom art on a stick, I Persona-fied my Qanba. I used clear Sanwa buttons and a new yellow ball top. I have a dark gray ball too, I might try switching them to see which I like better.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Some goodies from Japan... mostly arcade sticks...

417237_10151009064068883_1045464603_n.jpg

What's that small Hori in the front?

Amiami still hasn't gotten back to me about the Exaprize. Kind of frustrating. Any other options for small-ish PS3 sticks that are in stock anywhere?

True_Tech

Neo Member
oh wow i guess at some point my account got approved after years of waiting lol. I don't even remember why i signed up so here's me and my gf's current main sticks.

hishers.jpg

i'm on the right with aigis, shes a may player and so i made her some surprise art.

Platy

So .. i'm planning to make my own arcade .... with a PC inside and possibility to link other stuff.

So .. I have some things to ask for the people here.

1) Wich is the best cheap Arcade stick I can find for pc ?
There are some 15 dollars ones on Deal Extreme ... but i'm kinda afraid of then xD

2) For a pc/game related arcade stick, would be better to get an arcade stick with USB or something like PS2 and get some adapters ?
I already have a PS2/wii adapter...

3) Is there any good place where I can find some projects to help me make the wood part of the arcade ?
I kinda want it to look like an old school one ...

Chavelo

oh wow i guess at some point my account got approved after years of waiting lol. I don't even remember why i signed up so here's me and my gf's current main sticks.

i'm on the right with aigis, shes a may player and so i made her some surprise art.

Oh, snap. What's up, Tech.

RedSquare

So .. i'm planning to make my own arcade .... with a PC inside and possibility to link other stuff.

So .. I have some things to ask for the people here.

1) Wich is the best cheap Arcade stick I can find for pc ?
There are some 15 dollars ones on Deal Extreme ... but i'm kinda afraid of then xD

2) For a pc/game related arcade stick, would be better to get an arcade stick with USB or something like PS2 and get some adapters ?
I already have a PS2/wii adapter...

3) Is there any good place where I can find some projects to help me make the wood part of the arcade ?
I kinda want it to look like an old school one ...

1.http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
2.http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/
3.http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/

The Tekken 6 and EX2 use very sub-par quality parts, but I should point out square restrictors are standard on Japanese style levers, and IMO the best way to go - you have the best freedom of input (octagon and circle restrictors actually reduce the area you have to work with) while also providing very well-defined corners if you need them in a pinch.

It's amazing how many people don't realize the lever will actuate before reaching the edge of the restrictor, so there is no need to "ride the gate".

As I said I'm very bad at fighting games, not much beyond the level of button mashers to be honest, but I enjoy playing them and prefer an arcade stick. There is no way I'll ever learn to use one with any kind of precision, however, and since I play the old TMNT arcade game a lot the square stick feels odd and annoying.

To get rid of the "square feeling" of your EX2/T6 sticks, you would want to look into arcade quality Seimitsu(LS32/56) and Sanwa(JLF) joysticks and their available octagonal and round restrictors.
Those will give you a better feeling stick.
According to the specifications list of the Qanba it says there is a "JLF-TP-8YT-SK" stick inside (whatever that is). Would that need an octagonal or round restrictor fitting or is it good to go out of the box?

Anyway thanks to both of you for the help, I think I'll try and sell those sticks cheap and put the funds towards a Qanba stick.

deim0s

As I said I'm very bad at fighting games, not much beyond the level of button mashers to be honest, but I enjoy playing them and prefer an arcade stick. There is no way I'll ever learn to use one with any kind of precision, however, and since I play the old TMNT arcade game a lot the square stick feels odd and annoying.

According to the specifications list of the Qanba it says there is a "JLF-TP-8YT-SK" stick inside (whatever that is). Would that need an octagonal or round restrictor fitting or is it good to go out of the box?

Keep using what you have, when you decide to upgrade, you'll like and feel the stick more.

All common sticks have square gates already - it's the users preference to drop in a octogate.

Useful link for arcade stick info for everyone:
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/introduction.html

DasRaven

So, it has a Sanwa "JLF" which is probably the most common lever in console joysticks today. It comes stock with a square gate, but both round and octagonal restrictor gates are available for it.
And since they're cheap and easy to swap in, you might consider buying both and seeing which one gives you the feel you want. That is what I did when I was starting out.

FSLink

Banned

I know you said you're not great at fighting games and probably don't plan on being competitive or anything like that, but when I was starting out with arcade sticks, I stuck with the square gate despite having some reservations and wanting to get an octagonal gate since I was more used to American style sticks.

Eventually once I got used to it, I realized that some stuff like charge characters in fighting games were actually really easy to use compared to an octagonal or circle gate, and are actually pretty fun. They are also the standard on most sticks so you don't have to worry about adjusting if you borrow someone's stick. I highly suggest sticking with it if you get a Qanba and then get an octagonal gate or circle gate a month or so later if you really don't like it. It's a preference thing, absolutely, but I highly suggest giving the square gate a chance.

zbarron

2012_08_13_12_15_31.jpg

I need to fix the rough edges by the control panel but considering I had next to none of the proper tools to do a good job I think it turned out well.

FSLink

Banned
What are some alternative places (websites or actual stores) that can do lamilabel printing other than Kinkos? I bought 2 Brawl sticks but some Kinkos give me difficulties if I have copyrighted characters on the art. :/

I've had my Mad Katz SF4 SE stick for a while now. Haven't used it much until I got SSF4 Arcade Edition on steam and since then I've put in about 9 hours. Just recently though I've begun having trouble executing super moves and I'm wondering if its because I've worn out the stock sticks. I replaced the buttons with sanwas so those should be ok. Do the stock sticks on the SE sticks really wear out that quick or is it just my imagination?

I just switched jobs so I was without a paycheck for 2 week so I got by with a Flathead, Philips head, scissors, a pocket knife and a pizza box. I would not recommend this at all.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the pizza box fits in with the rest of the items in your list.

Top Bottom