• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Got a Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Arcade FightStick that's modded to work on PSOne/PS2.

I don't use it though. I've tried getting into arcade sticks several times, but it never works out because I have a really hard time throwing hadoukens. After getting frustrated, I just give up. Maybe it has something to with having a square gate?

I can throw hadoukens all day on a DualShock controller though. =)

Tobe

Got a Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Arcade FightStick that's modded to work on PSOne/PS2.

I don't use it though. I've tried getting into arcade sticks several times, but it never works out because I have a really hard time throwing hadoukens. After getting frustrated, I just give up. Maybe it has something to with having a square gate?

just practice practice and practice. youll get used to it.

HoosTrax

I found hadoukens easy to learn on a stick. It's more of a reverse "L" motion with a square gate.

Shoryukens, on the other hand, are killing me. I can throw them non-stop on a cherry mx keyboard, but I can barely get a single one off on a stick. Maybe I should have tried a hitbox instead. I get that the motion is supposed to be a "Z" -- forward, down, and into the corner of the gate. It just never seems to register, and I suspect that I'm not hitting the corner properly for both the down and forward microswitches to be registering simultaneously.

This is with a Mad Catz stick. I've also tried a Seimitsu that I bought for shmups, but it's way too sensitive (too easy to hit diagonals unintentionally). I haven't tried a Sanwa stick yet.

I got my first stick sicne the SNES days yesterday. I got a Madcatz TVC stick and one of those Mayflash Wii to USB converters. I went with this one over a X360 stick because I wanted to use it with TVC and VC games on Wii as well as on PC. I like it. It looks nice and it has a nice weight to it. I do have some problems with it though. The most annoying one is how sensitive the buttons are. It often registers a button push when I barely touch one of the buttons. It feels almost as if I could get a button to register if I blew on it hard enough. I often end up doing EX moves and taunts on accident in SSFIV.

Also, I'm not so sure about the square gate. I haven't used a stick in years, so I don't know if I would like an 8 way gate better, but I think I might.

This isn't the stick's fault, but SSFIV doesn't work that well with the adapter + stick. It won't let me use start to skip all the start up logos. It won't let me do anything until I get to the main menu, actually. And sometimes the movement on the stick stops working if I tab out and come back in. It works great with emulators though.

Is the X360 WWE brawl stick pretty much the same thing as the TVC stick? I might get one of those too since it probably works better with SFIV.

Did you buy it modded or did you mod it yourself? I would be interested in a mod like that.

Vman

Hey guys, i have a bit of an odd request. Could anyone whip up a custom artwork based on 8-bit castlevania on the nes? for the 360 brawl stick. if anyone could do it fast that would be AMAZING!

Hey guys, i have a bit of an odd request. Could anyone whip up a custom artwork based on 8-bit castlevania on the nes? for the 360 brawl stick. if anyone could do it fast that would be AMAZING!

EgSTC.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?jabg8c1bq55gkh4

I made this real quick with the template and some art (from the box) and some smart blur. I put the PSD file in the .rar. Or did you want like a NES Castlevania screenshot?

Doombear

Yeah, I know that. I have been using the stick. I guess it's called something else. Octagonal gate maybe? Hexagonal? Is there another kind? I'm new to this.

I think someone just recently linked to this, but here is a specific link to Slagcoin's restrictor info. May shed a bit more light on square and hex gates. I personally bought a hex gate myself, but really find the square gate to work just fine for P4A and haven't even tried the hex.

Slagcoin - Restrictors Scroll a bit down and you are mainly looking for the 8-Way section.

Vman

So i printed of the template but it does not fit my fight stick, it is the brawl stick for the 360, it need to be a bit longer horizontally, how do i make it so or is the pic sized correctly and im just missing something. thanks for the help. im new to this.

I think someone just recently linked to this, but here is a specific link to Slagcoin's restrictor info. May shed a bit more light on square and hex gates. I personally bought a hex gate myself, but really find the square gate to work just fine for P4A and haven't even tried the hex.

Slagcoin - Restrictors Scroll a bit down and you are mainly looking for the 8-Way section.

Thanks.

So i printed of the template but it does not fit my fight stick, it is the brawl stick for the 360, it need to be a bit longer horizontally, how do i make it so or is the pic sized correctly and im just missing something. thanks for the help. im new to this.

Did you just print out that jpeg I posted in the thread? I just posted that as a preview. The PSD file has the whole thing. I don't even know exactly what size it would need to be to print it out on a home printer. I think people usually take it to Kinkos or something and get it printed as a "laminated label".

Tobe

has anyone bought anything from arcadespareparts.com ? they have good prices on sanwa obsf and some other stuff. is it trustworthy?

vall03

What do Arcade Stick pros have to say about the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3? Saw it a while ago being sold in my local stores and Im kinda interested, would it be a good stick to use for beginners?

DasRaven

What do Arcade Stick pros have to say about the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3? Saw it a while ago being sold in my local stores and Im kinda interested, would it be a good stick to use for beginners?

Are you aware of how small the Hori Mini sticks actually are? Here's a comparison:
600566_443242565693823_445310561_n.jpg

I think you'd be better off with a $30 BrawlStick from Amazon as it is full-sized and easily moddable to arcade-quality parts.

Yes Boss!

Yep, cute and fun, the Mini. But better to go a little bigger on the money and get something a bit bigger, with more options. I tend to look at it as a "keychain" version of the bigger sticks. Shits and giggles.

Also, these have been listed for a bit on amazon NA but still no word on release date. There is that specific 360 version slated for NA (japan only has the blue and black triple flavors). Complicating things, there is a image out there of the japanese box of the 360 version...so probably coming to japan too.

(and it is small! comes in a package that hangs on a hook in retail)

Doombear

Yay! Last piece I was waiting for came in today, so I finally got to put all the pieces together!

Used (but perfect as far as I can tell) SFIV TE from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Sanwa clear ball top and 30mm snap ins from Arcade Shock.
Countersunk washers and bolts from an online RC Car Supplier.
Plexi extended top, dust washer and my print done by Art at Tek Innovations (who else).
Side panels from Gummowned/Focus Attack, finished to a shine by me.
Everything but the painting was done today when I got the art. Took about 3 hours (not counting the painting... that took about a week of sanding, priming, sanding, priming... laquer, laquer, laquer)

Next up is a couple clear 24mm for the back and plexi and art for the bottom! I know the image is hectic, but damn I love the way it turned out. I am eyeballing a FoeHammer box next.

Ellasman

EVO stick signed by Mr.Wiz, the Cannon bros, Sp00ky, Haunts, Team Hori, God's Garden crew, Choco+Momo, Gamerbee, Laugh, Ryan Hart, Uryo, Gootecks, Nitsuma, SFIV producers, etc.

Thanks Marky. :)

7700180430_396d05e21a_b.jpg

This is exactly what I wanted to do with my EVO stick. Did you get all of these at EVO?

I have some questions about arcade stick care. What are the most common things that mess sticks up? Should I be worried about dust messing it up? Should I keep my stick in its box while I'm not using it?

wages

Banned
It's an EX2 fighting stick by Hori for the 360. I got tired of getting owned with that horrible pop up d-pad (good for weapon selection like Gears, but not fighting games.) I'm happy with it thus far and I only paid $30's for it (used) from a friend of mine who takes excellent care of his stuff.

At any rate, I don't know what I'm missing so can anyone recommend a good stick that's affordable (around $100's) that is better than the one I have? I really like it but I do have some issues as far as comfort and I'd like to get concave buttons but I'd have to figure out how to do that. Any help would be great.

It's an EX2 fighting stick by Hori for the 360. I got tired of getting owned with that horrible pop up d-pad (good for weapon selection like Gears, but not fighting games.) I'm happy with it thus far and I only paid $30's for it (used) from a friend of mine who takes excellent care of his stuff.

At any rate, I don't know what I'm missing so can anyone recommend a good stick that's affordable (around $100's) that is better than the one I have? I really like it but I do have some issues as far as comfort and I'd like to get concave buttons but I'd have to figure out how to do that. Any help would be great.

EX2s are bottom of the barrel so pretty much everything on the market would be a step up; trying to think of worse sticks, only the T6 wireless stick comes to mind. If $100 is the price you're willing to pay, I think the Hori Soulcalibur V sticks are often on sale at that price lately.

Concave buttons don't exist in Japanese form factors as far as I know. For good reason too; you need to be able to rapidly switch fingers between buttons and making the buttons concave would just be counterproductive.

The fucking unicorn. If people only knew how godlike/rare that stick is. I love mine.

yeah ditto forreal. It's kind of funny though, I've missed numerous opportunities to catch the OG SA but the SEs literally found me when I wasn't even actively searching for them. I have no idea how that happened haha.

Yes Boss!

yeah ditto forreal. It's kind of funny though, I've missed numerous opportunities to catch the OG SA but the SEs literally found me when I wasn't even actively searching for them. I have no idea how that happened haha.

Wish one would "find" me. To be fair, I've never really searched other than looking for it while looking for other things on YAJ.

Class looking stick, like the PS2 version of the EX-SE. I've got the easy-to-get SA version, but nothing really special about that one. Never even use it.

2nd? Mother ffff.....

I know right.

Wish one would "find" me. To be fair, I've never really searched other than looking for it while looking for other things on YAJ.

Class looking stick, like the PS2 version of the EX-SE. I've got the easy-to-get SA version, but nothing really special about that one. Never even use it.

yeah the first one I ever got was off of YAJ. Incidentally, around the same time the seller I bought it from listed a mint and complete original SA that had a minor PCB issue that sounded like an easy fix, but some dude snatched it before I could. It was a buy-it-now that went for like 3,000 yen. Ridiculous opportunity missed.

you are referring to the HP2-185 with regards to what you have, right? You don't prize yours? I dunno, I think if I had one it would be my second favorite behind the Unicorn. It happens to rock my favorite of the black-body HRAP color schemes and it's stocked with RGs. To each his own though, hope I find one soon.

storafötter;41268626 said:
So thanks to GAF I got my eyes on a hitbox and I am very eager to try it because I love the keyboard "style" of it.
Does anyone with big hands play this thing?
http://www.hitboxarcade.com/products/hit-box-ps3-pc
Because I saw some youtube video that complained about its small design.

But I don't think it's an issue, since the way it's configured, your palms will likely be resting close to the middle of the panel.

If palm space is an issue, might be worth checking out the SRK forums for someone that can make metal panels for the Madcatz TE stick. I know there was a user that goes blklightning21 that did them for a while. But I think he might have stopped. If he is still active, I'd recommend him. His initial run was rough, in terms of return period. But he later resolved that, by putting people into queues and wait lists.

But I don't think it's an issue, since the way it's configured, your palms will likely be resting close to the middle of the panel.

If palm space is an issue, might be worth checking out the SRK forums for someone that can make metal panels for the Madcatz TE stick. I know there was a user that goes blklightning21 that did them for a while. But I think he might have stopped. If he is still active, I'd recommend him. His initial run was rough, in terms of return period. But he later resolved that, by putting people into queues and wait lists.

Thanks for the answer and tips. Well I do tend to adapt easily as-long as I have my palms resting. I will look into buying this when I visit the US in December.

Yes Boss!

you are referring to the HP2-185 with regards to what you have, right? You don't prize yours? I dunno, I think if I had one it would be my second favorite behind the Unicorn. It happens to rock my favorite of the black-body HRAP color schemes and it's stocked with RGs. To each his own though, hope I find one soon.

Which one is the HP2-185? Don't really know the numbering scheme.

I meant the white PS2 with blue buttons that looks like the rare one you have for PS2 Well-loved by many but I don't really play any PS2 games really. So don't use it.

HRAPSA.png

Sister Unicorn! This is the HP2-185. You have the HP2-260. I happen to think both are pretty, but this one I gotta have for some reason.

Yes Boss!

HRAPSA.png

Sister Unicorn! This is the HP2-185. You have the HP2-260. I happen to think both are pretty, but this one I gotta have for some reason.

Yep, that one is nice. I'll keep my eyes open for one. Most of my sticks are from this gen and on. Only have ten or so from previous generations.

wages

Banned
EX2s are bottom of the barrel so pretty much everything on the market would be a step up; trying to think of worse sticks, only the T6 wireless stick comes to mind. If $100 is the price you're willing to pay, I think the Hori Soulcalibur V sticks are often on sale at that price lately.

Concave buttons don't exist in Japanese form factors as far as I know. For good reason too; you need to be able to rapidly switch fingers between buttons and making the buttons concave would just be counterproductive.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your opinion.

I like the stick so for now, it'll do fine but going forward, I have a better idea of what to look forward to. May I ask, what makes the EX2 such a bad stick? I actually like it-sure it has a few issues but I'm a novice when it comes to purchasing arcade sticks so my judgement may not be the best.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate your opinion.

I like the stick so for now, it'll do fine but going forward, I have a better idea of what to look forward to. May I ask, what makes the EX2 such a bad stick? I actually like it-sure it has a few issues but I'm a novice when it comes to purchasing arcade sticks so my judgement may not be the best.

By far the biggest problem is they break far too quickly with moderate use and the parts are not designed to be replaceable (nonstandard formfactor buttons directly soldered to a PCB). I've seen far too many EX2s end up as paperweights within months of purchase.

The buttons and lever also have inferior feel and response to arcade standard parts; the EX2's lever can be strangely unresponsive and the buttons are mushy and hard to actuate.

Yes Boss!

Speaking of older sticks, I've been enjoying this PS1 stick.

I got it as a beater stick for use with my Saturn via a convertor. It is delivering. Stick is very responsive (Omron switches), buttons are great, and I would not change them since the pastel colors are pretty nice.

C5470628-71EB-4298-8C11-5AA2162E9372-4550-000004AD3CF72004.jpg

Top Bottom