• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Z coming to PS2

Dead

well not really...yet
Gunota added this:

Edit: Apparently, the rest of the series list will be published next week, including one more new to SRW (described as a "very nostalgic series").

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
At this rate, how long until Shin Sangoku Musou 5 Special for PS2? :lol

Also Siren must be like the first real SCEJ game for PS3 since...
where is ape escape damn it
It's a remake...

duckroll

Apharmd said:
EDIT - SUPPOSEDLY a section of the magazine scan...can anyone prove/disprove?

There are copyrights on 3 pages. The first page is for SRW Z and SRW 1-4, the next page is for the Alpha series and the last page is for Scramble Commander 2nd. They have to list all copyrights whenever they mention previous SRW titles.

lupin23rd

Oh shit Baldios is in this, must buy. But damn, I was going to write up a SRW game scenario and put him in it for the first time - goddamn these devs stealing my thunder! :lol

Sweet! Eureka Seven!

Sadly no Gundam 00 yet...then again the series just ended.

And no Code Geass?! Bah...

Oh well, can never go wrong with another SRW title.

Apharmd

duckroll said:
There are copyrights on 3 pages. The first page is for SRW Z and SRW 1-4, the next page is for the Alpha series and the last page is for Scramble Commander 2nd. They have to list all copyrights whenever they mention previous SRW titles.

I see. Thanks for the clarification and sorry for leading people on. :x

webrunner

Apharmd said:
By the way, reportedly someone is saying on 2ch that more series will be announced.

It'd make sense, this is a rather small lineup for any SRW.

EDIT - SUPPOSEDLY a section of the magazine scan...can anyone prove/disprove?

28splif.jpg

Judging by the "2005" and the inclusion of Eva and Virtual On, I'd think that was Alpha 3

Bebpo

Banned
I'm pretty happy with this for a few reasons:

1) It's Alpha team = woohoo, top quality sprites! Epic games!

2) It's a restart/beginning of a new series. This is great for people who've gotten into SRW in the last 5 years. Alpha 3 was hard to get into because the plot had become so epic and involved over 4 entries, and the older games are hard to play these days for newcomers to SRW. It'll be nice having a modern SRW with all the bells and whistles that is the start, so newcomers can jump on and follow this universe over the next group of games.

3) The sprites are a jump up from Alpha 3! If it had been on PS3 I was hoping for an increase in sprite quality, but we're still getting that even on PS2 so there's really no need to have it on PS3 outside maybe easier memory card management. The sprites look awesome! And the new Zeta sprites are :O I can't wait to see the new Hyakushiki animations!

4) The cast is pretty interesting. While the shows they come from might be shitty, SRW tends to make bad shows better by removing all the crap and changing key points. There's A LOT of SUPER in the cast revelead so far and it's a colorful varied cast of Super Robots. I'm guessing the remaining series are mainly Real Robot. I always think it's fun in SRW to have seen some of the shows, and not some of the others. That way you can play out your favorite moments and still have plently of new stories that you want to follow.

My only disappointment was my cast wishlist didn't make it. Since it's a reboot I was hoping for:

Giant Robo - Since it was never even finished in Alpha because the OAV wasn't done. Plus imagine GR with new modern sprites :O
Big O - Would be nice as a pair with GR. Team attacks and all.
First Gundam - Still might be in it.
Gurren Lagann - Too new I guess. Next SRW
Eva new movie version - Too new. But looking at the Zeta movies here, this is how we'll get all new Eva sprites for the next SRW. Gainax double punch next SRW.
Gundam OO - Way too new. Probably not even next SRW. (maybe next Alpha team)
Tekaman - Was awesome in W, would like nice console sprites
Detonator Orgun - Was awesome in W, would like nice console sprites.

lupin23rd

king zell said:
why doesn't Japan like Grendizer ?

250px-Goldorak125.JPG

Grendizer seems to show up whenever Mazinkaizer (and Shin Getter?) are not around - I read something that they don't want to answer who is the most powerful.

We need a Great Grendizer or something heh

lupin23rd

I hope Evangelion stays away from this new game...

And I hope the PS3 game isn't going to be an OG game
or 'Super Robot Wars Z for PS3' LOL

Maybe we'll find out / get some media on Saturday after the SRW Event in Tokyo.

lupin23rd said:
I hope Evangelion stays away from this new game...

And I hope the PS3 game isn't going to be an OG game
or 'Super Robot Wars Z for PS3' LOL

Maybe we'll find out / get some media on Saturday after the SRW Event in Tokyo.
?? I believe this IS the PS3 game, that is to say, it was cancelled for the ps3 and moved to the ps2.

lupin23rd

It wouldn't surprise me if you were correct that this was supposed to be the PS3 game, but:

- with the mention of the PS3 version last week (where they would have to have some info on it and would already know about Z)

- and the fact that apparently "The issue also says that a new SRW title will be announced next issue, which will be released in a week."

leads me to believe they are working on SOMETHING for the PS3 still. Maybe a port of something, maybe a PSN title, hell maybe a new game in conjunction with a 360 version.

Anyways, back on topic Z looks HOT.

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
My verdict is out until i hear more about the systems and originals, but the amount of newcomers is impressive.

Well, maybe this entry will be 100% original sprites for everything. Hence the newcomers and then they'll recycle for Z2, Z3, Z4, etc... since this is a new series.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
distantmantra said:
I'd really like to know what the PS3 Super Robot series title is going to be, if the next big SRW is on the PS2.... stupid developers and their fear of change.

YEAH, stupid fucking developers (and NOT publishers anyway!) trying to actually sell the game they're going to make, what the fuck are they thinking man!

ASSHOLES!

love me moar SRT! I'd like an OG sequel (DS?) as well, go for it Banpresto

Bebpo

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
YEAH, stupid fucking developers (and NOT publishers anyway!) trying to actually sell the game they're going to make, what the fuck are they thinking man!

ASSHOLES!

love me moar SRT! I'd like an OG sequel (DS?) as well, go for it Banpresto

Well PS2 sales have been going down the toilet for the last few years, but I guess they're still better than any other system. There's no way it'll do anything like Alpha 3 sales either way.

I assume there will also be a new DS SRW since it's been a while from W.

The PS3 game is probably 3d. Might even be action. I wish it was ACE4, but even though it's published by Banpresto/NamcoBandai I think it'd be listed under From Soft.

Dash Kappei

lupin23rd said:
Grendizer seems to show up whenever Mazinkaizer (and Shin Getter?) are not around - I read something that they don't want to answer who is the most powerful.

We need a Great Grendizer or something heh

You meant Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger.
I don't think that's the problem though since they fought in the anime and those answers are more or less answered in the IPERHUGE Go Nagai's Encyclopedia books.

Also, were the fuck's is my Jeeg?!
Always been my favourite, even taking out the nostalgia factor (best foreign rendition -italian- of an anime soundtrack EVER :D "Jeeg Robot d'Acciaio" by Piero Pelu')... I grew up with the damn cartoon, even if Grendizer (Goldrake here) was way more popular.

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:

Quoted for sadness.

Bebpo said:
I assume there will also be a new DS SRW since it's been a while from W.

Well, yeah, I'd like it to be an OG sequel just so it has a chance as being localized, unlinke you I don't speak japanese and even if it didn't stop me from enjoying the series it's definitely a plus and it's not like they're going to drop the license orgy games in the main series.

Bebpo

Banned
Dash Kappei said:

Jeeg was in Alpha 3. Unless you mean the new one.

Joule said:
Come on Big O. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Well it was in D so it's not technically "new" and could be a returning "old", but I think they'd make a big deal about it if it had been put in (since no console sprites to date). So I'm not expecting it :(

MechaX

Apharmd said:
Zeta movies units - COME ON ADVANCE OF ZETA

I would say that there is no chance of any Advance of Zeta units making it.. but Sentinel and Astray did make the SRW cut...

SEED Destiny units - ...Wow, I can see it now. Mazinkaiser alongside Destiny Gundam fights Infinite Justice. They both try to kick Infinte Justice, and IJ breaks off Mazinkaiser's leg by kicking it.

And then Kouji Kabuto tries to block Infinite Justice's beam boomerangs with Mazinkaiser's face.

Finally, Strike Freedom beamspams Zeta Gundam into submission.

At this point, I hope that this new SRW doesn't pull a Scrabble Commander 2 with the Destiny arc which virtually said
"lol shinn, ZAFT = Enemies"
. I've been waiting to kick Kira and Athrun's god moding asses for almost a year, and SRW Z better deliver on that wish.

Also, I'm more hyped to what the future has in store for SRW. If they do so, I'm going to love how they handle 2nd half Gurren Lagann. Gundam 00 + Code Geass + Gurren Lagann + New EVA = Biggest amount of SRW win

NeonZ

Dash Kappei said:
You meant Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger.
I don't think that's the problem though since they fought in the anime and those answers are more or less answered in the IPERHUGE Go Nagai's Encyclopedia books.

Huh... no. I'm pretty sure he meant Mazinkaiser. Grendizer only has appeared in SRWs that don't have any version of Mazinkaiser.

Bust Nak

The ACE games are action games, while SRW is srpg. I have all 3 ACE games but I haven't finished 3 yet, I just kinda lost interest because the new shows they added I haven't actually seen myself so that's not the fault of the game. It's definitly one of the best arcade action mecha games out there (better than Zoe!) with lots of varied missions, space, ground and underwater. Many units are playable with authetic looking weapons and movement from the shows, good replayability in unlocking new units, as well as split screen multiplayer. If you can't read Japanese you may have some porblem working out the objectives but then that's what gamefaqs is for.

Bebpo

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I think I'll get this even if I can't read Japanese. What about those ACE games? Are they fun to play? They had Getter Robo.

ACE games are the best 3d mecha action anime games. If you want to fly around blowing stuff up as your favorite mecha to music from their shows, then give it a go.

ACE3 plays the best and is the flashiest, but it's more arcade-y and short with lots of units, 3d cutscenes, and ton of replay value. Good for if you don't read Japanese. ACE2 is loooong and full of tons of text story.

Bebpo said:
ACE games are the best 3d mecha action anime games. If you want to fly around blowing stuff up as your favorite mecha to music from their shows, then give it a go.

ACE3 plays the best and is the flashiest, but it's more arcade-y and short with lots of units, 3d cutscenes, and ton of replay value. Good for if you don't read Japanese. ACE2 is loooong and full of tons of text story.

I have yet to play ACE3 despite having it since launch (no way to play imports currently and im too lazy to look for a legit site that sells swap discs for the ps2 slim), but ACE1 and 2 were awesome. Despite the series apparently being over, I hope there is a spiritual successor on the ps3 sometime, maybe around when Gundam 00 is finishing up so they have a bunch of mechs from it in there.

also, somewhat unrelated, but yet another new Gundam for PSP is coming out, only thing notable is that it has hinu gundam this time around.

I know the reason srw series never come out in US is because of licensing issues, but man, I hope they just suck it up and have english language option in their jp game, so importers can still buy and play the game. there shold be no bickering over licensing issues if we import the games right?

Callibretto said:
I know the reason srw series never come out in US is because of licensing issues, but man, I hope they just suck it up and have english language option in their jp game, so importers can still buy and play the game. there shold be no bickering over licensing issues if we import the games right?

I actually have always been curious about how much extra work it would be to just have text translated in some of these games. I mean, I understand anime and games are different, but you see fansubbers do an entire movie in a day or two or episodes later in the same day as they air. I know there are some games I would import if they had text english text (Ryu ga 2 and Kenzan) instead of sitting here waiting for them to come to America. If it is about space on the disc, then it shouldent be an issue for PS3 anymore.

Linkzg said:
also, somewhat unrelated, but yet another new Gundam for PSP is coming out, only thing notable is that it has hinu gundam this time around.

Battle Universe looks great, even though I'm sure it has everything from Battle Tactics/Royale/Chronicle with some new stuff tacked on.

Callibretto said:

That would be great, but there's a lot of text in these games. Would it really be financially beneficial for Banpresto to completely translate the title for a very small percentage of foreigners (myself included) that go to the trouble of importing them?

distantmantra said:
Battle Universe looks great, even though I'm sure it has everything from Battle Tactics/Royale/Chronicle with some new stuff tacked on.

It does look great, but I have Tactics and Chronicle, so I am not gonna jump on Universe just yet. I did play a bit on a friends copy (just the vs mode, not any missions), but it didnt seem like Chronicle was a big jump over that despite royale being a big jump over Tactics. If Universe is a Tactics > Royale jump in terms of gameplay, I will consider it.

I am a sucker for the hinu gundam, but I think I will be satisfied with nu and sazabi for now. I am also holding out hoping they add in AU gundam eventually or better yet include Gundam Unicorn.

Bebpo

Banned
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

I GOT MY BIG O, TURN A, GUNDAM X!!!!!!!!!!

If only it had Giant Robo for team attacks with Big O it would have been perfect. But now it's still the GREATEST SRW LINEUP EVER.

HOLY CRAP I GET TO PLAY THROUGH THE STORIES OF: E7, GAINER, BIG O S1&2, TURN A, GX!!!

Now if they are 100% sprites, which I think is likely considering they have to do new sprites for 80% of those shows. THAT ALSO MEANS ALL NEW CCA SPRITES :O

FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH FUCK YEAH

I WANT THIS IN MY PS2 TOMORROW!

This game is going to be riddiculous. I'm thinking orguss will have a large part in the plot, because so many of these "worlds" are incompatible otherwise.

Re hosted for great justice:

1208600350824.jpg

chunhand.gif

Bebpo

Banned
This game is going to have to have like 6 paths. There's just waaaay too many series for 1 storyline.

Which kinda sucks because I don't really have the time to replay a huge 30-50 hour SRW game more than once. But oh well, guess I'll just have to play it 4-6 times this time around. :p

Shouta

This shit is gonna be epic. It's ACE3: The SRPG!

I just hope they don't do the ACE3 storyline again because, while it was awesome (probably one of the best integrated SRW games), I'd like to see something new.

Bebpo

Banned
Shouta said:
This shit is gonna be epic. It's ACE3: The SRPG!

I just hope they don't do the ACE3 storyline again because, while it was awesome (probably one of the best integrated SRW games), I'd like to see something new.

They won't. It won't have the ACE3 original plot and ACE3 had very little plot for each series, like 4 missions and that's it.

Plus ACE3 didn't actually give Turn A any story >_< >_< >_<, thankfully we will get it NOW.

Top Bottom