• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Robot Wars Z coming to PS2

Bebpo said:
This game is going to have to have like 6 paths. There's just waaaay too many series for 1 storyline.

Which kinda sucks because I don't really have the time to replay a huge 30-50 hour SRW game more than once. But oh well, guess I'll just have to play it 4-6 times this time around. :p

Orguss makes this possible. You dont seem to be at all familiar with it so i'll fill you in. In the world of orguss, several dimensions are united into one by a haywire machine (or something close). Think like countries on a map, except each "country" is actually a chunk of an alternate dimension. This would allow each of these completely different worldview shows to exist all at once.

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Orguss makes this possible. You dont seem to be at all familiar with it so i'll fill you in. In the world of orguss, several dimensions are united into one by a haywire machine (or something close). Think like countries on a map, except each "country" is actually a chunk of an alternate dimension. This would allow each of these completely different worldview shows to exist all at once.

No I understand that. I'm just saying to accurately tell the stories from EVERY SERIES ON THAT LIST....there's no way that's 1 or 2 paths.

Shouta

pancakesandsex said:

Well, they integrated many of the worldviews into one in ACE3 fairly well despite the story being shortened. Shin Getter, Gundam X, and E7 were all rolled up into one universe and it worked fairly well. So doing that without the use of Orguss is possible unless you want the full worlds intact. I can't recall what was rolled up for World A though.

Bebpo said:
No I understand that. I'm just saying to accurately tell the stories from EVERY SERIES ON THAT LIST....there's no way that's 1 or 2 paths.

I dunno, alpha 3 did ok. and they managed to combine gunbuster, ideon, and GGG.

I hope the squad system returns.

Shouta:

Orguss makes this easier though, and i'm sure the base world may combine several of these in the same way. But many of these shows take place after their own special version of the apocalypse, so the inclusion of orguss makes this super easy to explain the "wildcards" that cant be reasoned so easily..

Bebpo

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
I dunno, alpha 3 did ok. and they managed to combie gunbuster, ideon, and GGG.

I hope the squad system returns.

Alpha 3 also had 4 paths, right? This has more series I think (since a lot of the series in A3 had finished their stories in A1/2/G, so just talking about series left to cover story-wise).

Shouta

A3 had path splits, I think 2 two path splits then a 4 path split. The 4-path split is just a few stages related to a specific series then it was integrated again as I recall while the earlier splits were far more lengthy.

Bebpo said:
Alpha 3 also had 4 paths, right? This has more series I think (since a lot of the series in A3 had finished their stories in A1/2/G, so just talking about series left to cover story-wise).

Alpha 2 and 3 had 4 paths. In 3 the paths were more unique, all paths converge at several points, and break apart into 2-4 paths depending on main character and route choices.

I'm hoping for at least 4 originals.

Bebpo

Banned
I wish I could play A3, but it's just really unsatisfying jumping into part 4 of a plotline having not played the first three.

I'm so glad Z is a new start for people like me :)

Bebpo said:
I wish I could play A3, but it's just really unsatisfying jumping into part 4 of a plotline having not played the first three.

I'm so glad Z is a new start for people like me :)

Perhaps if you werent a shittacular taste peon you could enjoy alpha 1, g, and 2!
<3 bebpo never change

Shouta

pancakesandsex said:
Alpha 2 and 3 had 4 paths. In 3 the paths were more unique.

I'm hoping for at least 4 originals.

Err, you mean storylines or paths? Gotta differentiate them. There are 4 protagonist stories definitely but there is one large path they all follow with path splits and personal stages related to their storyline.

Shouta said:
Err, you mean storylines or paths? Gotta differentiate them. There are 4 protagonist stories definitely but there is one large path they all follow with path splits and personal stages related to their storyline.

both, look at alpha 3's mission tree.

Alpha 2 was the same way but they just shuffled mission order depending on the storyline for the 1st 20

Each storyline is its own path, those unique missions count to me.

Shouta

pancakesandsex said:
both, look at alpha 3's mission tree.

Alpha 2 was the same way but they just shuffled mission order depending on the storyline for the 1st 20

Each storyline is its own path, those unique missions count to me.

Meh, just a matter of classification. Storyline is more encompassing than path so I don't consider them paths like the storylines for the licensed series.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Reports from 2ch from a Super Robot Wars event held today reveal the entire list of series in the recently announced SRW Z:

Overman King Gainer
The Big O
The Big O 2nd Season
Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Xabungle
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Gundam SEED Destiny
Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
Getter Robo G
Grendizer
God Sigma
Aquarion
Eureka Seven
Orguss
Baldios
Gravion
Gravion Zwei

Shouta said:
Meh, just a matter of classification. Storyline is more encompassing than path so I don't consider them paths like the storylines for the licensed series.

I go by route splits in the mission tree. regardless of reason, splits are splits

hinode

Bebpo said:

This is supposed to be the start of a new series, so it's quite probable that they won't finish the storylines of every single show in the first game. Gaogaigar was introduced in Alpha 2 but only had the first half of the show covered, for instance, with the second half and Final saved for Alpha 3. Gunbuster had the rough equivalent of the first 5 episodes in Alpha 1 and the finale saved for Alpha 3.

Shouta

Dani said:
Reports from 2ch from a Super Robot Wars event held today reveal the entire list of series in the recently announced SRW Z:

Overman King Gainer
The Big O
The Big O 2nd Season
Zambot 3
Daitarn 3
Xabungle
Zeta Gundam
Char's Counterattack
Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Gundam SEED Destiny
Mazinger Z
Great Mazinger
Getter Robo G
Grendizer
God Sigma
Aquarion
Eureka Seven
Orguss
Baldios
Gravion
Gravion Zwei

On another note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eONNcqhwHpA

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Again on PS2... I know that Super Robot Wars still sell very well on PS2, but man....someday they have to change platform.

I don't think fans mind having this game to tide them over until a next gen version appears. They could could pump them out on PS2 for years to come and we'd still be happy.

How playable is this if you know very little Japanese? The few SRW games I've played seemed simple to play, only needing to know what each menu button does. I did finished Hokuto no Ken for the PSX without a FAQ, although that's not much of an acomplishment.
Bebpo said:
ACE games are the best 3d mecha action anime games. If you want to fly around blowing stuff up as your favorite mecha to music from their shows, then give it a go.

ACE3 plays the best and is the flashiest, but it's more arcade-y and short with lots of units, 3d cutscenes, and ton of replay value. Good for if you don't read Japanese. ACE2 is loooong and full of tons of text story.
The actual theme songs? Awesome, was the line up any good?

Prime crotch said:
How playable is this if you know very little Japanese? The few SRW games I've played seemed simple to play, only needing to know what each menu button does. I did finished Hokuto no Ken for the PSX without a FAQ, although that's not much of an acomplishment.

The actual theme songs? Awesome, was the line up any good?

Quite easy and there are many online resources and faqs to get you accustomed to the various systems and commands.

You can also ask in threads like this and im sure someone will be happy to help.

Bebpo

Banned
I wonder what the chances of FLCL ever being in SRW are. I mean it has a mecha and most of the enemies are mecha.

hinode said:
This is supposed to be the start of a new series, so it's quite probable that they won't finish the storylines of every single show in the first game. Gaogaigar was introduced in Alpha 2 but only had the first half of the show covered, for instance, with the second half and Final saved for Alpha 3. Gunbuster had the rough equivalent of the first 5 episodes in Alpha 1 and the finale saved for Alpha 3.

Well, the interview actually says they aren't sure if it'll be a series or not. They say it depends on the sales...so since it's pretty much assured it'll sell well, it probably is a series. But if they are unsure, you'd think they wouldn't leave stuff for the future.

Also most of these franchises are non-splittable. There's no way they wouldn't do E7 until the finale, or Destiny, or Gainer, or Big O S2, or the Zeta movies, I mean they're doing CCA!

With GGG I think it was saved for A3 because they new that Final was coming, or had started to come out so they only did half in A2. Gunbuster was weird though as the OAV had finished waaaaaay before Alpha 1.

I think all the series in Z will have their entire storylines told personally. I think it will just be a huge game.

Danj

Prime crotch said:
How playable is this if you know very little Japanese? The few SRW games I've played seemed simple to play, only needing to know what each menu button does.

You can play them like this, but you do need to have a FAQ that tells you at least what the objectives are. And of course you miss out on the awesome story if you don't have a storyguide.

TreIII

Daitarn? CCA? Big O? Turn A? Gundam X? Getter G? Plus my already mentioned Zeta New Translation and Overman King Gainer? KICK ASS.

This probably will shape up to be one of my fave rosters in a non-OG SRW in quite a while. It only needed Gaogaigar and Tekkaman to seal the deal. :lol

Bebpo said:
I wonder what the chances of FLCL ever being in SRW are. I mean it has a mecha and most of the enemies are mecha.

Well, the interview actually says they aren't sure if it'll be a series or not. They say it depends on the sales...so since it's pretty much assured it'll sell well, it probably is a series. But if they are unsure, you'd think they wouldn't leave stuff for the future.

Also most of these franchises are non-splittable. There's no way they wouldn't do E7 until the finale, or Destiny, or Gainer, or Big O S2, or the Zeta movies, I mean they're doing CCA!

With GGG I think it was saved for A3 because they new that Final was coming, or had started to come out so they only did half in A2. Gunbuster was weird though as the OAV had finished waaaaaay before Alpha 1.

I think all the series in Z will have their entire storylines told personally. I think it will just be a huge game.

They never covered the final episode of gunbuster in alpha

hteng

Banned
TreIII said:
I know GAF's stance on scans...but what about smuggled PV footage? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGKgwb_VKyQ

Not exactly the highest in quality, but DAMN, that looks nice even from this angle!

OMFG MUGEN PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the crowd was absolutely awesome!

edit: i still OG had better sprite animation though, this one has some really nice camera angles, like the king gainer part

TreIII said:
I know GAF's stance on scans...but what about smuggled PV footage? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGKgwb_VKyQ

Not exactly the highest in quality, but DAMN, that looks nice even from this angle!

You are a man among men.

This looks sick, but.....is it just me or does it seem like they pulled a donkey kong country and the sprites are like some kind of prerendered job? I'll have to wait for higher quality vids.

NeonZ

YES! The Impulse is shown at the player's side while destroying (Seed Destiny Spoilers)
the Freedom!
. It was cool to see the crowd cheering while the spotlight thief blows up!
:D :D :D

The Destiny is featured in the opening too, not that other mech.

Go SRW Z! Redeem Shinn's character and kick Fukuda's direction to the curb!

Bebpo

Banned
hteng said:
edit: i still OG had better sprite animation though, this one has some really nice camera angles, like the king gainer part

I don't even think OG and this are in the same LEAGUE. This is like a generational gap in spritework from OG Gaiden.

Then again I've never thought the MX/OG team was particularly good at spritework. Their cut-ins are shit, their attacks lack good 3d motion, and most of all style.

IMO, for spritework SRW Z >>>>>>>>>>>>>> SRWA3 >>>>>>>>>> SRW OG/G >>>>>> SRW MX.

And Pancakes, you're just seeing things. The sprites look like Alpha 3. There is no DKC aspect to them.

Shadow780 said:
It's time to bring this thread up, where's the robot love NeoGAF?!

Here's hoping for an early leak~:D

Surely you mean someone breaking street date so you can PURCHASE your copy earlier, RIGHT?

hteng

Banned
i will report back once i get my copy, should get it earlier since i'm getting the asia version (i hope).

So which main characters are you guys picking first?

Personally, i'll save the SR for last, so i'll finish the RR route first then use the money for the SR route. Since there's gonna be alot of split routes it'll probably take a few replays. Famitsu stated it takes 100 hours to finish everything.

You mean to edit that you're waiting patiently for your physical copy now, don't you? You don't want to mention waiting for that sort of thing here, it doesn't go over well. :D

Top Bottom