• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

Tyeforce

BoV1dDUIUAA6vCV.png

69xiUsp.png

Still going strong. More than 48 characters, believe!
This is, like, exactly my roster, minus Tingle and plus Dixie Kong! I like it! lol

Here's my updated roster with Ike's reveal:

PlSWV2D.png

No, and I don't put any stock into that rumor. Even if you count Squirtle/Ivysaur and get rid of Snake, that means he's going to make one random cut? Who would that be?

Wolf or Lucas for sure

And I'd pick Wolf as while I prefer him to Lucas you'd still get 2 sf reps and 2 mothers reps which seems fair/balanced

Honestly I don't see either being cut at this point

rawktapus

Something NFC related just hit me

What if the figures of the smash characters come with "mysterious special moves" like referenced in the last Nintendo Direct? And that's how you create characters with custom/different moves? The only way to get those special moves is with the figure of X character.
I'd be okay with that.

I think a more likely (and more palatable) alternative is that you'll have the ability to make a complete custom moveset with a character, say Mario, built into the game. You figure out your moves, load that moveset onto your figure, and then bring it to a friends house to play with.

I think they're gonna get a lot of heat if anything significant is completely locked to figurines.

DaBoss

Custom moves can't be used online so I wouldn't mind paying extra just to get some bonuses with my favorite character or two. But that's just me, hopefully too many people won't take offense to my personal standards...
They can be used online against friends.
Holy crap. Something just hit me! What if the figures Sakurai was holding in the direct are the NFC figures?
Some people pointed out that they are Figma figurines. Some of which Sakurai showed off on Twitter.

I think a more likely (and more palatable) alternative is that you'll have the ability to make a complete custom moveset with a character, say Mario, built into the game. You figure out your moves, load that moveset onto your figure, and then bring it to a friends house to play with.

I think they're gonna get a lot of heat if anything significant is completely locked to figurines.

I'd be down with that, I just kinda want something entirely unique for the figure characters even if it's just cosmetic.

They can be used online against friends.

Some people pointed out that they are Figma figurines. Some of which Sakurai showed off on Twitter.

I'm out of the loop, Figma?
And I personally wouldn't have a beef with my friends using anything like that, but whatever.

rawktapus

The really exciting thing about NFC figures for me isn't even the connectivity stuff, I'm just happy about the prospect of lesser known characters gettin' some cool collectible merch. I'd buy a Captain Falcon figurine even if it had nothing to do with Smash Bros.

I'd be down with that, I just kinda want something entirely unique for the figure characters even if it's just cosmetic.

I think they'll do something with the figurines, to give them some more value. I personally expect exclusive trophies. Instant character unlocks are a good idea too, assuming they don't artificially increase the requirements to crazy levels. Exclusive costumes might be neat, but then you start to run the risk of angering people who don't want to buy Nintendo toys.

The really exciting thing about NFC figures for me isn't even the connectivity stuff, I'm just happy about the prospect of lesser known characters gettin' some cool collectible merch. I'd buy a Captain Falcon figurine even if it had nothing to do with Smash Bros.

The only reason C Falcon will get a figure is because of Smash

Tan

But you can save data on a wii-mote. Why would they not just do that?

It already released to the public like last year to three years.

NM4zqGR.jpg

My god, --quick, someone crack one of them open!

I don't think it is even plausible, but it scares me a lot that people would be okay with stuff like that.

I think it's plausible for NFC because it's a good middle ground between a major element of the game which would be inappropriate to lock behind NFC (e.g., a character or a stage) and something so trivial it isn't worth the money (e.g., a trophy.) I wouldn't be okay with this, but I think it makes sense, at least from a business point of view. Myself, I hope NFC i limited to palette swaps or something of that nature.

Thank you but I always think that 3 weeks is one of my best work! XD

Ah, I don't remember that one offhand; I'll have to go back and look. I like this one because of the colors and the gif ends at exactly the right time - just when the camera zooms out after the high five :)

emb

Custom moves can't be used online so I wouldn't mind paying extra just to get some bonuses with my favorite character or two. But that's just me, hopefully too many people won't take offense to my personal standards...
I'm with you there. I don't really care about online, but most matches I play are going to be with the standard characters/rules.

I don't support any of the game being locked into downloadable content or figures, but the special move customization is something minor enough that I wouldn't really mind. Better that than characters or costumes. Trophies would be even better for the figures though.

What? You're crazy.

We need that character who has a b move that can go through a shield. Unless there is and i'm completely out of the loop on things. :p
They're entirely dependent on their grabs, without the grabs they're really bad. They're grapplers. Grabs go through shields and can't be teched like in other fighting games so ou don't need a special b move.

How is statement of fact "comedic"? There's no delivery. Yes, it has been a year since the game was revealed. And? You're stopping there? Lame.
You have no sense of humor. It's saying "It's been a year, and we're still wasting this much time talking about it" or, "We've spent a ear talking about this shit and we're still not done". You might not have picked up on the humor because it wasn't aimed at small children.

rawktapus

But you can save data on a wii-mote. Why would they not just do that?

Part of it would admittedly just be the novelty of it. Kids love having "Their own" skylander that contains the choices they've made in regards to leveling up. It gives them a sense of ownership that even goes beyond just a stuffed animal or action figure.

Another thing is that these toys are meant to work across different games, so a Yoshi figurine could carry data for your smash bros. Yoshi, your Mario Kart Yoshi, etc, so the clarity of knowing all that info is on a specific toy certainly has some appeal, and might be easier to remember than "did I have that info on the blue wiimote or the red one?"

I'm with you there. I don't really care about online, but most matches I play are going to be with the standard characters/rules.

I don't support any of the game being locked into downloadable content or figures, but the special move customization is something minor enough that I wouldn't really mind. Better that than characters or costumes. Trophies would be even better for the figures though.

I'm not, locking content like that isn't ok

georly

It's not plausible. Nintendo Sakurai doesn't seem like the kind of company guy to make anything substantial unlockable through purchases outside of the game and console itself.

Look at kid icarus uprising. Nothing in that game can't be unlocked by just playing the game long enough. Same goes for brawl. He won't lock actual game content behind NFC.

Even DLC.

The figures might not be able to be sold worldwide. They're not going to lose money due to supply constraints and legal limitations.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Look at kid icarus uprising. Nothing in that game can't be unlocked by just playing the game long enough. Same goes for brawl. He won't lock actual game content behind NFC.

Even DLC.

The figures might not be able to be sold worldwide. They're not going to lose money due to supply constraints and legal limitations.

Legal Limitations like Europe right? I can't help but recalled that part with other concepts right?

They're entirely dependent on their grabs, without the grabs they're really bad. They're grapplers. Grabs go through shields and can't be teched like in other fighting games so ou don't need a special b move.

Yeah, but you're acting as if that's how they were made in mind. That just became a thing of abuse once people figured out how they can do certain things with that.

With that logic, everyone in the game is a grappler because they can grab.

Yeah, but you are acting as if that's how they were made in in mind. That just became a thing of abuse once people figured out how they can do certain ghingd with that.

Everyone else sucks without their grabs? I don't think so....

What are you talking about?

his point wasn't that the Ice Climbers have grabs, but that they rely on them more than any other character

Clefargle

Prolly and hopefully this

fisheyes

69xiUsp.png

Still going strong. More than 48 characters, believe!

This is, like, exactly my roster, minus Tingle and plus Dixie Kong! I like it! lol

Here's my updated roster with Ike's reveal:

PlSWV2D.png

Really like these, and would be more than happy with them, the Tingle version especially.

Really wish the Chorus Kids didn't get possibly leaked, they would've been a great surprise out of nowhere.

It kinda rubs me the wrong way that this is probably information that could be stored on a wii remote...bygones I guess.

GamerSoul

I'd say it would be interesting if they not only added new characters through DLC but also gave the option for people to unlock them through purchasing the newly released figurine (for more of course)but there would be too many leaks or fakes.

Yeah, but you're acting as if that's how they were made in mind. That just became a thing of abuse once people figured out how they can do certain things with that.

They were clearly made with that in mind. They're balanced around those grabs. That's also why both Melee and Brawl have the incredibly broken grab combos and why it wasn't 'fixed' for Brawl like Fox's reflector tricks were. It's the major strength of the character, they're grapplers.

If it was abuse, Sakurai would have tweaked it for Brawl. Instead it's back and more powerful than ever lol.

Top Bottom