• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 7: How Can My Smash Brother Be This Cut

R0ckman

How often does Sakurai troll people only to disappoint them in the end? He's not a jerk.

hidden09_080318g-l.jpg

Or that he randomly picked trophies to do little "who's that character" spots for segues

In the past, it could have been surmised that we may have been projecting our own preconceived notions on Sakurai coloring our perspective on whether he was trolling not trolling but after the last direct, it is blatantly obvious that almost every choice he makes w/ the PR of these games, is calculated and Sakurai has mastered the meta-game of fan service.

Ridley boss theme during metroid trophy reveal is also a pretty big red flag
If the fact shadow of Ridley is a thing didn't tip you off on his awareness of the fan base, ;P
Pseudo Palutena troll, DK having his roll, etc, all these details tell me he's listening and cares about reasonable fan expectations and trying to meet them.

I bet it also helps that the team is so concentrated with a lot of great creative leads from Namco and Sora/HAL? (Whoever all is developing, the Namco fighting game lead is a big deal I think)

I cannot wait for all the crows that will be eaten by the obnoxious people that constantly spread negativity and have nothing to contribute other than "lol I hope your favorite character doesn't make it in" or "lol I really can't wait for your disappointment when your favorite character doesn't make it in", once Ridley is revealed as playable.

I think every thing that Sakurai put into the Nintendo Direct has some sort of meaning. I don't think he particularly chose those trophies just for the lols. I mean, come on, the theme playing during the King Kihunter trophy is Ridley's Theme. And are you really thinking that the Pseudo-Palutena trophy had no meaning at all, that Sakurai picked that one in particular just to troll the people who think she'll make it in or something?

I gonna win 5$ when Ridley is confirmed to be a playable fighter lol

Masahiro Sakurai is the patron saint of not making sense. Expecting a newcomer from each of the four trophy segments is the immediately logical assumption to make -- but Sakurai isn't immediately logical. He knows we get worked up over everything, and he wouldn't just "spoil" four newcomers so easily. He's always one step ahead of us.

Despite that I disagree with your take on the Trophy's hinting at new comers, I find your post compelling and well thought out.

Master Hero Sakurai: Benevolent troll and Patron saint of not making sense

R0ckman

A shame the above stuff was posted RIGHT under what I just did. It really illustrates the serious grand delusions people will put themselves under.

Jintor

tumblr_n0e11qzuCZ1rwbamko1_500.jpg

Apparently to best draw puffball you need to imagine puffball is a person and then base puffball poses on person. So says Sticker Star concept art

Why does a petty, spiteful person like you have a Palutena avatar?

Well, when that happens, Sakurai will probably talk about Ridley as a character. Just like the Samus section of Direct, he will let us know if he is a character or not at that time. At least, I hope he wouldnt leave it unsaid.

Ad hominem does not a strong argument make.

They'll work together. Alfonso flaps the wings while Salvatoro (who undoubtedly looks like his ancestor Salvatore) sits on Al's shoulders wearing a purple bird beak, throwing random items at the fighters and shouting things like "Keh-boom!" and "Spleursh"

I..I love you.

EDIT: lol at double post and triple post on last page oops

KHlover

Banned
What did he do here? I actually didn't play Brawl in the end so I wouldn't know.
Taunt.

When Ganondorf was revealed on the DOJO Sakurai wrote something about Ganondorf being made fun of by the rest if the cast for not using the sword to actually attack. Really weird XD

This may just be my favourite roster. I don't think I've ever seen a person confident enough to cut a character that has already been confirmed! haha

Toon Link

This is basically my ideal roster, minus Ghirahim and Snake (as far as something semi-realistic goes).

Including no Toon Link

And this children is why you shouldn't do shit like this while half asleep because you've been up for over 24 hours.

DaBoss

Dedede's Gordo Throw

New Side Special

So this is his new Side Special. Throws Swings his hammer and launches the Gordos at you. In Brawl it was Dedede throwing Waddle Dees with the chance of getting Waddle Doos, and Gordos, but both of them have a low chance of appearing.

There are clips (which I can't seem to find) where it shows it bouncing of the ground which means it doesn't disappear after one bounce. It also doesn't disappear immediately when it hits someone. It actually bounces off the opponent after it hits (which isn't actually shown in the GIF or WebM, whoops). Whether it still can hurt other characters after it bounces off is unknown. Here is a YouTube link that shows that: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=20m17s

The hit shown in the GIF is right when the Gordo is touching the ground I assume.

We then see ZSS hit the Gordo (with a Forward Tilt) which causes it to be deflected back at Dedede. Maybe any attack can do that? Maybe ZSS has some crazy stuff happening with her jet boots thing. Or it could be some new way the projectiles are being handled like people are theorizing. Who knows.

This is another random move that Sakurai has changed so it is no longer random. Definitely a good change.

Dedede's Gordo Throw

New Side Special

So this is his new Side Special. Throws Swings his hammer and launches the Gordos at you. In Brawl it was Dedede throwing Waddle Dees with the chance of getting Waddle Doos, and Gordos, but both of them have a low chance of appearing.

This is another random move that Sakurai has changed so it is no longer random. Definitely a good change.

So, in the interest of keeping this thread alive, can we discuss this a little more? I know it has been in the past, but not exactly super in depth from what I've seen (though I do miss a lot of discussions just due to how fast these topics move.).

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Randomness#Random_events_intrinsic_to_a_character

Looking at that list, we know Dedede's side special, the pikmin system, and Luigi's final smash were all changed to be not random, not to mention more universal mechanics like tripping.

So, ignoring Ivysaur and Snake for the moment (as well as randomness that doesn't effect gameplay), this leaves Diddy's up special, Dedede's final smash, Luigi's side special, Game and Watch's side and neutral specials (which is apparently sausages and not bacon; who knew?), Peach's down special, and Wario riding his bike.

Have any of these been directly addressed in relation to this yet? Do we expect to see all of these moves change to remove the randomness? I assume everyone here would agree it'd be a good thing if they were.

For the most part I think this would be a non-issue, except for maybe Game and Watch. Those moves might need some extra reworking to make them still interesting while not random. If there's any character that keeps random elements, I think it'll probably be him, but I don't know.

Also, how many of the cosmetic random events have been shown yet? I seem to recall seeing Kirby's rock take different forms, but not Peach's side smash.

Thoughts?

Decided to play Brawl for the first time in forever.

Went through my photos and there's some memories in there :')

I like this one lol:

UHuLrSM.png

Sendou

So if they are going to make at least Lucario's and Charizard's final smash their mega evolution then wouldn't that mean that a trainer has to appear in their little final smash cutscene? In that case it would be interesting to see which character they choose. Maybe Korrina for Lucario and Red for Charizard but who knows? I think just making the Pokémons mega evolve on their own would be going against the lore pretty hard so hopefully they don't do it. In any case considering it seems that some final smashes are already featuring some other characters (like Villager's and Mega-Man's final smashes) I think it's actually quite reasonable expectation.

So if they are going to make at least Lucario's and Charizard's final smash their mega evolution then wouldn't that mean that a trainer has to appear in their little final smash cutscene? In that case it would be interesting to see which character they choose. Maybe Korrina for Lucario and Red for Charizard but who knows? I think just making the Pokémons mega evolve on their own would be going against the lore pretty hard so hopefully they don't do it. In any case considering it seems that some final smashes are already featuring some other characters (like Villager's and Mega-Man's final smashes) I think it's actually quite reasonable expectation.
How do mega evolutions work in the games?

Sendou

How do mega evolutions work in the games?

Basically the Pokémon holds an item called Mega Stone (each Pokémon has their own) and the trainer has Key Stone that reacts to it. The main thing is that they emphasize in the game how there has to be a special connection between the Pokémon and the trainer so I think that's why it would be pretty lame if they didn't bring a trainer into all this in SSB4. If they do then I suppose that would mean that the Lucario in the game is not just any Lucario. Same goes for Charizard but that was true in Brawl too. That would also mean PKMN Trainer from Brawl wouldn't actually get cut just moved into a different role.

Here's mega evolution in action. It also features Korrina even if they don't show her doing that mega evolution move (the same Sakurai did in the Direct).

For the most part I think this would be a non-issue, except for maybe Game and Watch. Those moves might need some extra reworking to make them still interesting while not random. If there's any character that keeps random elements, I think it'll probably be him, but I don't know.
I feel like G&W's randomness is part of his character. He was random in Melee wasn't he? Do Kirby's different rock forms actually change the rock's hitbox? Though I do recall him transforming into a spiked enemy from time to time that hurt characters when they tried to touch him. It's been quite awhile since I played SSBB.

I don't know, I feel like a certain amount of randomness can genuinely be good for Smash Bros.- even at the high level of tournament play. To me, Smash Bros. is more than just a pure fighting game. Introducing random elements (and scalar elements like Lucarios "Anubis" feature) force players to adapt to new and surprising events that happen throughout the course of the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing. People watch games like Texas Hold Em', Blackjack, and Spades on ESPN pretty consistently- and those elements are much more random than anything we're talking about in Smash (except tripping, which should be gone). (BTW, if people are playing freaking card games and pool on ESPN, we should be able to get videogames on there or NBC Sports, but that's another discussion)

With regard to character randomness, I agree that some random elements should maybe be taken away from characters (DDD's assist characters)- but I feel as though others are interesting random elements (Olimar's Pikmin).

On the topic of the anti-randomness (or rather- pro-predictability) feeling in general, It annoys me that tournament players have banned all items and all custom stages. This stance ignores the fact that it does take skill to use some items, and that some players (like myself) are great at designing interesting stages for 1v1 and team matches. When tournaments have outright bans like that, I feel as though it shrinks the community of players they're able to speak to. While Smash does have a very refined fighting regime underlying it, it's undeniable that another one of the game's fundamental elements is adaptation to surprising events. Tournament players ax those elements entirely. Though I support the tournament scene because it promotes the playing of Smash, I feel as though they're becoming a very insular element within the whole Smash player base.
Brainfreeze said:
According to the link I posted, Diddy's barrels can sometimes randomly explode, and Wario will randomly fall off his bike when turning.
Yeah, those need to go. If the random element is just a random detriment to the player using it, then it needs to be gone.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nice to see history repeating itself in regards to "leaks" :)

What do you meant by that? can you clarifying since your comment could implied other few things.

I don't actually know these rumors, can anyone run them down for me?

Here is the leaks and link

Well, according to RosalinaX, he know someone that are working on the game. Here is the rumors that he claimed;

http://www.mariokartwii.com/f105/inside-drift-133682-13.html

I hear the indrift is returning, but there being tweeked.

from a person that's workin on mk8 he isn't allowed to say a lot about the game. @Skyscraper

hehe all right I'll try to. Things he talks about with us is how mk8 new way of preventing USC exploits. @Skyscraper

Well, he is limited on what he can say and can't. But things he shared with us is
- new system to prevent ultra shortcuts
- why the blue shell wasn't in the e3 demo
- ssb4 number of characters ( I think it was real )
- and indrift
- explained maka wuhu issue
Only question I asked is if there was a shortcut that broke the game will you patch it he said yes.

Blue shell wasn't programmed in to the new tracks it has to follow a path.

I'm sure the bombs, bullets, lighting would of slow down the demo line

Maka, I'm having a hard time remembering what he said. I'll have to ask him again.

He said 48 characters for smash ( it could change ) also he mentions 4 characters are cut from smash also no release date.

Mk8 roster idk

Someone asked RosalinaX a question is he friend of this man (leaker) in real life. (he know him by Skype)

No, he isn't

lol, I would get too many pm's from random people asking me to tell him to put in characters they want or what's in the game etc

As for indrift is back in, but it's being nerfed.

It was a Skype convo, now let's get back on topic.

then later on, someone contacted him; and asked him to share anything more on the rumor. He basically said Cap Falcon is in the game and 48 characters 4 cuts are still same.

I feel like G&W's randomness is part of his character. He was random in Melee wasn't he? Do Kirby's different rock forms actually change the rock's hitbox? Though I do recall him transforming into a spiked enemy from time to time that hurt characters when they tried to touch him. It's been quite awhile since I played SSBB.

I don't know, I feel like a certain amount of randomness can genuinely be good for Smash Bros.- even at the high level of tournament play. To me, Smash Bros. is more than just a pure fighting game. Introducing random elements (and scalar elements like Lucarios "Anubis" feature) force players to adapt to new and surprising events that happen throughout the course of the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing. People watch games like Texas Hold Em', Blackjack, and Spades on ESPN pretty consistently- and those elements are much more random than anything we're talking about in Smash (except tripping, which should be gone). (BTW, if people are playing freaking card games and pool on ESPN, we should be able to get videogames on there or NBC Sports, but that's another discussion)

With regard to character randomness, I agree that some random elements should maybe be taken away from characters (DDD's assist characters)- but I feel as though others are interesting random elements (Olimar's Pikmin).

On the topic of the anti-randomness (or rather- pro-predictability) feeling in general, It annoys me that tournament players have banned all items and all custom stages. This stance ignores the fact that it does take skill to use some items, and that some players (like myself) are great at designing interesting stages for 1v1 and team matches. When tournaments have outright bans like that, I feel as though it shrinks the community of players they're able to speak to. While Smash does have a very refined fighting regime underlying it, it's undeniable that another one of the game's fundamental elements is adaptation to surprising events. Tournament players ax those elements entirely. Though I support the tournament scene because it promotes the playing of Smash, I feel as though they're becoming a very insular element within the whole Smash player base.

Yeah, those need to go. If the random element is just a random detriment to the player using it, then it needs to be gone.

custom stages?
that would be ridiculously difficult to implement across all setups for a single tourney

Top Bottom