• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah! Got my midnight pickup message.

I put my reservation down when I picked up the 3DS version too. Not like I had this for several months or anything.

Neiteio

Wow, he got worse?
I already found him hard to use.
VO2OcnI.jpg

emb

Did Hyrule warriors embargo seriously say you couldn't mention Sheik is Zelda?

Isn't that just common game knowledge at this point?
It is.

But I dunno, when playing through HW I thought that was way too obvious of a twist, and they would have some kinda actual twist where Sheik is someone else for no reason. So I got almost surprised by the reverse reverse twist.

So, I have a question. I know this isn't the proper place to ask, but maybe someone here knows the answer or can point me in the right direction.

I want more storage space for my WiiU. I've got my own personal external hard drive that I use from day to day. Is it possible to partition it in some way so that half of it is formatted for WiiU use and the other half is left alone? If so, that brings up another problem, because it doesn't have its own power cord. It draws it through the USB. I've heard before that if I get a Y-cord or whatever, I can use it with my WiiU, but I'd like to make sure. Basically, my question is, should I buy the Y-cord and use my old drive, or should I just spring for a new, WiiU-only drive?

Can't decide if I want to give this a try. Never played smash, but I've been pretty hardcore into the sf/mk scene since the early 90s. Also, is a GC controller required to play effectively, and if so, why?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Also, is a GC controller required to play effectively, and if so, why?

Not at all. Classic Controller Pro will be just fine. Ninty just knows there are people who swear by the GC controller and the adapter is a nice gesture. Totally unnecessary though if you aren't crazy into the series.

Dimmle

Can't decide if I want to give this a try. Never played smash, but I've been pretty hardcore into the sf/mk scene since the early 90s. Also, is a GC controller required to play effectively, and if so, why?
No, pro should do you fine. GC controller is practically made for it, though.

ciD_Vain

Soooo excited for this game! I'm hosting a tournament tonight at my house and focusing on no items, 8-player smash! Later we will be playing with all items on afterwards for the craziness that will ensue! If you guys are interested in how I setup the tourney, maybe in case you want to use it for your own tourneys, here's the description of the event.

That's right folks! The latest installment in the critically-acclaimed smash hit releases on November 21st! However, because Nintendo releases their games on the eShop 12AM EST, that means we on the Best Coast get to enjoy them 9PM PST! In this game, up to 8-players can duke it out on gigantic high-definition levels, so get ready to bring your trash talking game to the fullest!

The tournament will focus on Smash Wii U's 8-player matches, but with some twists!

Phase 1: 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1
To begin with, we will have an 8-Player Smash that will determine the layout for the tournament. It will be a 7-minute timed match on Big Battlefield, no items. Different from a Stock match, you will have to win by getting the best Kill/Death ratio in the 7-minute timeframe, so do your best to defeat the other 7 players as many times as you can! The winner will win the ability to have first choice of who they want as their teammate in the next portion of the tournament! Second place will have the next choice and so on and so forth until the teams are decided. Now that the teams have been decided we can enter the next phase of the tournament!

Phase 2: 2v2v2v2
We will split into our teams of 2 and go head to head to head to head in an 8-Player Team Smash! This one will be a 4 Stock, no time limit, and no items played on the Great Cave Offensive stage. The trick to this giant stage are the glowing red obstacles- touch them and you will be damaged, touch them when you're above 100% and you will be INSTANTLY KOed! Be careful! Be wise! Be awesome! The rankings of this match will determine the layout for the 3rd phase of the tournament!

Phase 3: 4v4
The winning team of the last phase will decide how the teams will be! This match will be a 4v4, 7-minute time limit, no items, and played on Big Battlefield. Remember to have a great Kill-Death ratio because it will decide your opponent in the 4th phase!

Phase 4: 1v1
Remember your rank in the previous phase? Well whomever was ranked the same as you from the opposing team is now your 1v1 opponent! 3 Stock, no Time Limit, Final Destination (and FD-alternates) and Battlefield only, set to random select. This is single elimination and the winners will enter tournament mode for the final phase and settle the score once and for all!

Final phase:
Tournament mode. 1v1. No items. Final Destination or Battlefield set to random select. No time limit. The winner will be ranked the first King of Smash! May the best Smasher win!

Not at all. Classic Controller Pro will be just fine. Ninty just knows there are people who swear by the GC controller and the adapter is a nice gesture. Totally unnecessary though if you aren't crazy into the series.

No, pro should do you fine. GC controller is practically made for it, though.

Hmm...I don't have a pro controller, but I do have an old GC. Wonder if I can just get the adapter

Pyrokai

Can we talk about Zelda's face? There's something different in her Smash render. It's not bad, I still love her design, but I'd say I like it, like, 1% less. There's just SOMETHING different. Rounder? Younger? I just don't know!!! What does everyone think???

Smash 4 Render: (better image here, but too large to post)

Screen%20Shot%202013-12-27%20at%2010.33.59%20AM.png

Brawl Render:

Princess_Zelda_(Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl).png

Twilight Princess Render:

Princess_Zelda_(Twilight_Princess).png

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I guess I should typing up Duck Hunt gameplay since it's rare to see people actually main them. I'm only one of few players here that actually main Duck Hunt since some people wrote them off or not interested in them.

Edited: I will respond to some of posts later when I get home.

Hmm...I don't have a pro controller, but I do have an old GC. Wonder if I can just get the adapter

If you already have a GC-controller, you may as well go for the adapter. But yeah, the pro controller would do fine as well, and if you want to play games like 3D World, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart it's the best you can get!

I guess I should typing up Duck Hunt gameplay since it's rare to see people actually main them. I'm only one of few players here that actually main Duck Hunt since some people wrote them off or not interested in them.

Haven't played so don't know how good they are, but the duck is the cutest character in the game though ;b Would have put it in my avatar if it wouldn't have looked weird so small!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Pro Controller is a good investment as they work in a ton of games. GC controllers only work for Smash but if the price is right on the adapter I'd go for it.

I got a pro controller for like $25 or something on clearance at best buy and it's great. Amazing battery life and super comfy.

Fandangox

Good Duck Hunt players are terrifying
ly annoying
online, luckily, they are few.

Roo

Rösti;139709776 said:
I haven't had much inspiration to play Mario Kart 8, I've felt fatigued for a few months. I did play some of Mario Kart 8 though in the GAF tournament but performed very poorly. Smash I will try to play as much as I can.
I see.
I hope you're more active in Smash.
A shame about MK8 though. Game is bananas.

Can we talk about Zelda's face? There's something different in her Smash render. It's not bad, I still love her design, but I'd say I like it, like, 1% less. There's just SOMETHING different. Rounder? Younger? I just don't know!!! What does everyone think???

Smash 4 Render: (better image here, but too large to post)

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/ada
c3b7534a843809046448c4/Screen%20Shot%202013-12-27%20at%2010.33.59%20AM.png

Brawl Render:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20
1210758/zelda/images/9/9a/Princess_Zelda_(Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl).png

Twilight Princess Render:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb200912
0/zelda/images/0/0d/Princess_Zelda_(Twilight_Princess).png

She has a more anime face now compared to Brawl and TP
Notice her eyes are bigger and rounded

I pre-ordered the adapter separately too(though I pre-ordered from Amazon) and it's shipped so I say you're probably fine.

Yeah, double-checked gamestop and every other retailer's website and they all say 11/21 is the release date... So I don't know what that guy's smoking. :p

Kyzon

I don't know why anyone writes Duck Hunt Dog off in any way. I played him only briefly on the 3DS and saw that his moves are insane and very powerful.

Everything is off the table with the Wii U version. Control schemes are completely changed. I wouldn't expect anything to be set in stone as to which characters are good / bad (well except Ganondorf, who for some reason was never remade ever).

*Sakurai Laughs*

Ganon will surely find new things. Even though his DACUS doesn't live on.

Dimmle

Wait, seriously? When the bundle was out Gamestop just had me pre-order the adapter separately... If I can't get it tonight...

I pre-ordered the adapter separately too(though I pre-ordered from Amazon) and it's shipped so I say you're probably fine.

Yeah, double-checked gamestop and every other retailer's website and they all say 11/21 is the release date... So I don't know what that guy's smoking. :p
Ahhh, it was just something I thought I heard! Just smoking life, man.

Thanks for the feedback on controllers. Another question: would a classic controller, the one that plugs into a wii nunchuck, work well enough?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Seriously though, I need to practice a little bit more.
Fighting games are not really my thing and you already have quite some time playing Smash 3DS, you know how it works so that gives you the edge here lol

Yeah, I admitted that I probably played more with smash than I did with Mario kart. Yeah, you are right that I might have more edge but who know!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

It's definitely a gentler face, less stern. Slightly rounder/younger features, as noted.

I like it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom