• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Azure J

Actually, as an aside, there, I can't help but feel that the roster could do with a villainous counterpart to Samus. Don't worry, I'm not saying Ridley as such, but it feels like a bit of a hole when other major series tend to have representation from both heroes and villains. A space pirate would be disappointingly generic, though, and Dark Samus would probably get derided as a clone. One of the Hunters?

The thing is, it's really hard to pick anyone not Ridley unless you go for one offs like the Hunters from Hunters, Rundas, Gandryda or Ghor. Or Anthony Higgins.

Tangent: An Adam Malkovich assist trophy that randomly de-authorizes moves on a stagewide basis. Y/N?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ganondorf gets my vote most definitely. Dude needs more magic. Maybe his bitchin' Windwaker swords too. Keep the Flame Choke (Side B) and Thunderstomp (Down Air) though, those totally fit him.

Same here. I main Ganondorf, and I would like to see Flame Choke and Thunder Stomp to stay in the game. If they want to overhaul everything then give it to Black Shadow please. Chance of that happening is none.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well the choke should be kept as he's actually used that move in a Zelda game (Twilight Princess). He also needs a reflector move because he is the king of reflecting attacks after all.

He was only a clone in Melee because he was added in last minute. It was rather in excusable that they didn't really modify him more in Brawl.

If they were to rework Ganondorf or Captain Falcons movesets, which one should be overhauled?

I'd have to go with Ganondorf. His moves never seemed fitting to me. He could use a sword I think.

Edit: I don't think anyone would choose Falcon, but you know.

Of course ganondorf. He actually has established fighting styles that you can build him around. Falcon is just a car driver and they managed to give him an awesome fighting style, there is no need to change him.

Their fighting style is -completely different-, mang.
Fox uses martial arts - kicks and punches.
Wolf uses claws. He also has some kicks, granted, but that's where the similarities end.

Do you want me to make a move by move comparison for you?

When i use them playing brawl (as i did for a few hours today) i feel like i'm using extremely similar characters. They also look very similar when they're fighting. I don't want or need you to make any comparisons.

Camjo-Z

i dunno guys ashley must be a pretty important nintendo character if we're still talking about this

1. Is she a girl?
2. Is she hot/cute?
3. If no, can she be made hot/cute through fanart?

If you answered "yes" to at least two of those questions then you have yourself a fan-favorite character.

When i use them playing brawl (as i did for a few hours today) i feel like i'm using extremely similar characters. They also look very similar when they're fighting. I don't want or need you to make any comparisons.

I never understand why people refuse to admit Wolf is at least a semi-clone. You never see people arguing that Donkey Kong or Meta-Knight are too similar to other characters.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ganondorf needs a Trident and largely revamped move set to give him better characterization. Outside of a few attacks he is emulating Captain Falcon.

The thing is, it's really hard to pick anyone not Ridley unless you go for one offs like the Hunters from Hunters, Rundas, Gandryda or Ghor. Or Anthony Higgins.

Who's that again?

But yeah, Ridley is the only Villain worth putting in. The others are really generic enemies, or only in one game.

Ganondorf needs a Trident and largely revamped move set to give him better characterization. Outside of a few attacks he is emulating Captain Falcon.

I was thinking trident earlier. That would be badass.

Azure J

Same here. I main Ganondorf, and I would like to see Flame Choke and Thunder Stomp to stay in the game. If they want to overhaul everything then give it to Black Shadow please. Chance of that happening is none.

My man. I feel like he's been my favorite of all four Zelda usuals since Melee, even with his flaws. I think I'm also the only guy advocating them keeping or somehow tweaking Warlock Punch to be something more unique. That move is almost more satisfying to land on something than Falcon Punches. :lol

I can't remember.

remember-me.gif

Sorry everyone.

I'll do it anyway.

Neutral A:
Fox - Punch with left fist, punch with right fist, lightning kicks.
Wolf - Claw slash, claw slash, bite.

Dash attack:
Fox - Jump kick.
Wolf - Backflip out of the dash.

Side Tilt:
Fox - A kick.
Wolf - Slashes outwards with both hands.

Up Tilt:
Fox - Scorpion kick (i.e. bends his leg backwards).
Wolf - Kicks upward bending his leg forward.

Down Tilt:
Fox - Uses his tail as a whip.
Wolf - Does a kick.

Side Smash:
Fox - Butterfly kick (i.e. spins forward while kicking)
Wolf - Claw slash.

Up Smash:
Fox - Backflip kicks.
Wolf - Scissor kicks straight upwards.

Down Smash:
Fox - Split kick
Wolf - Swipes over the floor with his claws.

Neutral Aerial:
Fox - Stretches his leg outward (aka sex kick).
Wolf - Curls into a ball and flings himself around.

Forward Aerial:
Fox - Kicks 5 times.
Wolf - Slashes forward.

Back Aerial:
Fox - Backward kick.
Wolf - Backward kick.

Up Aerial:
Fox - Backflips in mid air and also uses his tail for the first hit.
Wolf - Slashes above his head.

Down Aerial:
Fox - Drill kick.
Wolf - Slashes downwards.

Given the fact that only 2 moves share a somewhat similar style (Back Aerial and Up Tilt both are kicks back/up), I would never ever consider their fighting style even remotely similar. Hell, Wolf uses his hands significantly more often than Fox, whose moveset almost entirely consists of kicks. Putting Wolf in Fox's clothing would not make Fox, it would make Wolf in Fox's clothing.
The only similarity between Wolf and Fox, aside from appearance/series, is that they have similar specials, and that they're both fast-fallers. That's it.

Going back to Street Fighter: Taking away Vega's claws and mask does not make Chun-Li out of him, either - but by your logic, both characters are similar because they're both swift characters in their game, can walljump, and have a similar idle stance and build.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Would be amazing if assist trophies could call playable characters from the roster to do a special AT only attack.

Won't happen though.

I'll do it anyway.

Nothing you have posted here has changed my opinion in anyway. When i pick wolf or fox in smash bros i basically fight using the same style with a character which looks very similar. To me both characters are extremely similar and you can see the origins of wolfs fighting style in fox.

I don't care about your irrelevant street fighter comparison. It's a completely different game which i don't even play so it means nothing to me.

and you can see the origins of wolfs fighting style in fox.

No, I can't.

Wolf is as similar to Fox as Samus is to Link. You disregarded that comparison by saying that they don't fight similarly at all, but since the only similarity between Fox and Wolf are their specials and Final Smash (aside from their appearance), which is the same for Link and Samus (who also share a similar Back Aerial, by the way), that argument/comparison has not been refuted by you. You just dismissed it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My man. I feel like he's been my favorite of all four Zelda usuals since Melee, even with his flaws. I think I'm also the only guy advocating them keeping or somehow tweaking Warlock Punch to be something more unique. That move is almost more satisfying to land on something than Falcon Punches. :lol

Well, I know it might be overpowered move, but one of mod had Ganondorf to make a huge light ball after warlock punch, which is a reference to one of the game that I don't really recalled. I want to see Ganondorf to get confirmed as starter character so I can play as him right away.

Tangent: An Adam Malkovich assist trophy that randomly de-authorizes moves on a stagewide basis. Y/N?

ADAM: I DENIED EVERYONE TO HAVE AN ABILITY TO JUMP.

If they were to rework Ganondorf or Captain Falcons movesets, which one should be overhauled?

Ooh, ooh, Ganondorf! This is a good opportunity to repost my vision of a revamp:

Okay, since we're talking about potential characters and how they'd play, I'm going to geek out and post one of my fan ideas:

GANONDORF
(As in, a new character. They can make Black Shadow the heavyweight Captain Falcon clone...)

The gameplay theme is still, appropriately enough, power. Thus, Ganondorf is primarily a slow, heavyweight powerhouse. However, these sorts of characters tend to ultimately not be viable. This design is an attempt to make this gameplay style enjoyable but competitive.

Ganondorf has his trusty heavy sword, but it does not define his play style like it would, say, Ike. Thinking of Ganondorf as a "dark wizard" opens the door for some unique attacks and mechanics to make his play style viable. A few of his normals or strings involve a sword slash, but others might include clouds of darkness, aura bursts, and the like. However, the sword moves are important to note because of the first of his specials.

Up Special: Lightning Strike

Ganondorf raises his sword and after a short warmup a Thunder-esque bolt of lightning will charge it. The next normal Gandondorf performs with his sword will be super-charged, dealing extra damage and knock-back. It will even send out a skyward strike-esque ranged blast.

Again, this emphasizes devastating, singular attacks.

"But that's such a waste since he'll never land those hits anyway!"

Then check out these next two specials.

Down Special: Curse

Ganondorf charges a ball of dark energy and fires it towards the ground. When it hits, it expands across the floor at a radius proportional to the amount of time spent charging the attack. Enemies that are standing within its field are cursed and cannot block. Perfect for setting up powerful strikes and smashes! (Although it will dissipate after a while...)

NOTE: This could use a better reference to the source material. Gameplay came first, and then I just looked for the closest Zelda-related representation. Technically speaking, in the games this debuff prevents Link from attacking, not blocking. (Although, would it be too much to have this field prevent attacks as well...?)

Side Special: Dead Man's Volley

Ganondorf's classic attack. He throws an energy ball forward that will deal damage and, more importantly, stun the player for a very short duration several times over the course of the debuff. Use these openings to your advantage and hit your opponent with your best shot!

(Of course, opponents can attack the ball and send it back towards Ganondorf, so be on your toes...!)

And for the final move:

Neutral Special: Twilight Vortex

Ganondorf summons a portal to the Twilight Realm that will suck in nearby players. (This includes Ganondorf himself...!) Opponents that touch the center of the vortex will be dealt sustained damage for as long as they remain there. Ganondorf can also charge the move to increase the vortex's gravitational strength and radius, and he can alter its summoned position with the control stick while he charges.

This is what cements Gandondorf's moveset. Move players into your Curse fields to follow up with smash attacks and Lightning Strikes. Use it to force your opponents to move out of its radius (and thus not block). Have it yank back more mobile targets that would otherwise escape your grasp. Use it to screw up your enemies' recoveries. Change the timing and pace of battle by manipulating spatial movement in unexpected ways. Increase Ganondorf's own mobility and use it as a gap closer.

Note, this is also Ganondorf's third jump. (Thought I missed that with Lightning Strike, eh?) Create a vortex just above or ahead of Ganondorf to shoot him in that direction.

Anyway, that's it. Sorry, gotta vent that hype somewhere...

Signature moves like the choke could also be retained in the form of throws and whatnot.

(Hope I'm not making this too SmashBoards-y...)

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Starfox characters are such cheaters at Dead Man's Volley.

I'd love this especially if it led to situations like "I'm de-authorizing use of the up B special attacks" and some poor fellow is trying to recover at the time.

No, I can't.

Wolf is as similar to Fox as Samus is to Link. You disregarded that comparison by saying that they don't fight similarly at all, but since the only similarity between Fox and Wolf are their specials and Final Smash (aside from their appearance), which is the same for Link and Samus (who also share a similar Back Aerial, by the way), that argument/comparison has not been refuted by you. You just dismissed it.

Because i don't think it's even remotely close to being true with even a quick look at the characters actually fighting in the game. It's hard to believe you're even being serious when you say that link and samus are as similar as wolf and fox are. As i said previously clearly you and i disagree strongly with this and you simply repeating the same thing over and over isn't getting us anywhere.

Edit: I'm willing to except that wolf and fox are different enough so as not to be considered clones but the comparison to link and samus is ludicrous.

Link should be able to swing his sword to hit Samus's charged shot back at her.

They should actually make an item inspired from the Ganondorf/Agahnim energy ball tennis where it gets stronger and faster the more it's batted back between players and you can't just cheese it with a reflector.

DaBoss

I'm so glad I go to sleep at 11PM EST.
Edit: I'm willing to except that wolf and fox are different enough so as not to be considered clones but the comparison to link and samus is ludicrous.
He wasn't being serious because he thought your reasoning was ludicrous.

And if you play as Wolf like you do with Fox, you are playing Wolf completely wrong.
They should actually make an item inspired from the Ganondorf/Agahnim energy ball tennis where it gets stronger and faster the more it's batted back between players and you can't just cheese it with a reflector.
Nah, it should be an attack by Ganondorf. Any attack should be able to deflect it. And if you are going to use a deflector or shield, you have to time it right.

And if you play as Wolf like you do with Fox, you are playing Wolf completely wrong.

I wouldn't say otherwise, i'm not very good with wolf. I'm more just talking about looking at them from a casual observation. All of this is getting completely off track of the original comparison to ashley who needs a completely unique design. Where would you even start to design a character like that? Basically it doesn't seem worth it for a minor character in a fairly small franchise.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ya'll Trippin.

Tsunayoshi is the anime rep.

Annouce the return of the Hitman Reborn manga. After the person who canceled it got smacked up for doing it when it was super good.

I know it's old news, but I just finished with Reborn. I thought the ending was just right, so I don't see any problem with the manga being ended just like that. I don't think it's cancelled.

emb

Nah, it should be an attack by Ganondorf. Any attack should be able to deflect it. And if you are going to use a deflector or shield, you have to time it right.
Almost agree, but I'd say: only Link and Toon Link able to reflect it with sword attacks. Others have to powershield or reflect like any normal projectile.

Out of curiosity, have we seen Ridley as a stage hazard on that Metroid Stage?

If not, I think we all know what this means...

Both Ridley and Kraid are stage hazards.

He wasn't being serious because he thought your reasoning was ludicrous.

I'm being semi-serious (because yes, I think that saying Wolf is identical to Fox in moveset or gameplay is ludicrous), and a bit exaggerating. But you cannot deny that - despite the differences in appearance of the projectiles themselves - the specials of Samus and Link are uncannily similar. They have some slightly different attributes, but there's also a lot of similarities.

The Up B is a multi-hit spinning attack - the main difference is the direction; Samus' Screw Attack is vertical, while Link's Spin Slash is horizontal.

The Side B is a multi-purpose projectile. Samus' missiles can be changed depending on which direction you put (super or homing missiles), while Link's boomerang can be steered and if it misses the direct hit, has the purpose of homing an enemy back to you.

The neutral B is a chargeable projectile - Samus' Charge Shot always will go infinitely far, it just increases size, damage and knockback with more charge, while the direction of Link's Bow is determined by how much he charges it, but (if I recall correctly), it also increases in damage and tiny bit of knockback if fully charged as opposed to not at all.

The Down B is a deployable explosive - Samus' cannot be picked up and doesn't damage her, while Link's is treated as an item and also can hurt him.

Even though the visuals are significantly different, the moves are very similar in how they work. Of course the more detailed gameplay differences themselves are also significant, but since we're reducing Wolf's and Fox's specials only down to the basics (i.e. a shot, a reflector, and 2 movement attacks), I feel like it's only fair if we did the same with those of Samus and Link. To me, reducing characters down to what only is a fourth of their entire moveset and there only looking over the superduper basics is absolutely ludicrous - so I bring this comparison between Link and Samus up, because when reduced to those basics... their specials are identical.

Absolutely agreed. Fox has to play super-aggressive and is incredibly flashy and fast, while Wolf is much more sluggish and defensive in playstyle.

-Horizon-

Well, I know it might be overpowered move, but one of mod had Ganondorf to make a huge light ball after warlock punch, which is a reference to one of the game that I don't really recalled. I want to see Ganondorf to get confirmed as starter character so I can play as him right away.

ADAM: I DENIED EVERYONE TO HAVE AN ABILITY TO JUMP.

The only way Sakurai can get tripping back in the game.

Kjellson

Speaking of Metroid characters beyond Ridley, I would love it if Dark Samus was playable. She (it?) is the main antagonist of the Metroid Prime trilogy so it would be cool.

Could probably be the clone of all clones, but I think Sakurai could make an original moveset for her (it?).

DaBoss

I refer to Dark Samus as a her since she kind of reminds me of Mother Brain in a sense and she has some of Samus' DNA. Though it doesn't matter in the end lol.

Dark Samus would be a cool if she can be really different from Samus.
I wouldn't say otherwise, i'm not very good with wolf. I'm more just talking about looking at them from a casual observation. All of this is getting completely off track of the original comparison to ashley who needs a completely unique design. Where would you even start to design a character like that? Basically it doesn't seem worth it for a minor character in a fairly small franchise.
Ahh OK. I saw an earlier post of yours saying you play Wolf like you do with Fox which is not the ideal way to play Wolf. :p

I know nothing about Ashley, or even played a Wario Ware game, so I wouldn't be able to answer the question. If Sakurai wanted to put Ashley in, then I'm sure he would find a way for her to work.

The arguments kind of remind me of people saying Rosalina wouldn't be a good character.
Almost agree, but I'd say: only Link and Toon Link able to reflect it with sword attacks. Others have to powershield or reflect like any normal projectile.
Yea, you're right, it would be a useless move if anyone can deflect it back lol.
I'm being semi-serious (because yes, I think that saying Wolf is identical to Fox in moveset or gameplay is ludicrous), and a bit exaggerating. But you cannot deny that - despite the differences in appearance of the projectiles themselves - the specials of Samus and Link are uncannily similar. They have some slightly different attributes, but there's also a lot of similarities.
Yea, I get you were trying to prove your point that many characters would have similar moves if you just look at them in the most simplistic fashion.

Top Bottom