• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Screens

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Darkpen said:
no, merely showing who he was bashing. I have no real critical opinion regarding the man's skill, when comparing those background shots and his CG stuff.

Well, he definitely doesn't have a lot of backgrounds on his gallery, that's for sure.

i was so in the groove of this game when they announced it. my patience wained as time passed. than King of fighters XII showed up and Snk said 'hello'. damn. SNK has stomped all over capcom and pretty much everyone else in sprite animation since KOF and Metal Slugs variety was insane for back in the day (the 600 dollar price tag and expensive games for neogeo kind of offset that). i say next generation will have cell shading so damn good that it will be easier to make a game look like this in 3d than 2d.

sidenote

Odin shere is also not conventional 2d sprites and isnt a contender for good looking sprite animation and quality.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Shinz Kicker said:
how does this person get work... im so glad i just graduated with a bfa in illustration if im up against these guys im gonna be rolling in work... sans the fact im editorial/conceptual illustrator not comic book..
Um... He has one of the best Ibuki's I've ever seen. I'd love to see your body of work so I can compare them.

bobbyflay

Neo Member
Shinz Kicker said:
how does this person get work... im so glad i just graduated with a bfa in illustration if im up against these guys im gonna be rolling in work... sans the fact im editorial/conceptual illustrator not comic book..

haha. holy shit kid. I hope you're not thinking you're gonna step out of those doors with your diploma and be inundated with art directors begging at your feet. It just doesn't work that way. I was once in your position and believe me you better be ready for a rude awaking...you're gonna have to really bust your ass, not only at drawing but also at promoting and pricing if you're going to get anywhere with freelance.

My point was that it isnt bad as its just not explored as much as it could/should be. all these people are stuck in the mid 90s with character poses and concepts. so many other people can rock that house and still do great figure drawing and draftsmanship. James Jean, Tomer Hanuka, the closest match in style and Jason chon still blows him out of the water. granted my illustration aren't focused on figure as i keep them as simple as possible just to convey the presence of a human if the concept calls for it.
www.jasonwynkoop.com is my web-site if you wish to "compare" .

edit: im not being cocky and not expecting or wanting to freelance anytime soon. im full ready to bust my ass to get where i want to get. im pretty damn sure i have what it takes. it always nice to have a friendly reminder but if anyone wants to get happy and do what they love, it takes effort.

Shinz Kicker said:
My point was that it isnt bad as its just not explored as much as it could/should be. all these people are stuck in the mid 90s with character poses and concepts. so many other people can rock that house and still do great figure drawing and draftsmanship. James Jean, Tomer Hanuka, the closest match in style and Jason chon still blows him out of the water. granted my illustration aren't focused on figure as i keep them as simple as possible just to convey the presence of a human if the concept calls for it.

edit: im not being cocky and not expecting or wanting to freelance anytime soon. im full ready to bust my ass to get where i want to get. im pretty damn sure i have what it takes. it always nice to have a friendly reminder but if anyone wants to get happy and do what they love, it takes effort.

Just had a look at your website and comparing your work to Omar, I must say your work suck. I hope what you have on their is stuff you did back in 6th grade and it's not recent stuff.

Shinz Kicker said:

No, but you are being egotistical. Great, you're a good artist who has a very distinctive art style...

But nothing on your website seems to indicate anything in the field people like this Omar Doogan guy are in. You don't do comic book art, you don't do video game art, you just do... like, art you'd frame and hang on a wall in coffee shop or something. There's nothing wrong with that, of course...

But it's like Wolfgang Puck bitching that some roadside Diner isn't serving Smoked Salmon. Or, like, a famous novelist complaining about some comic book writer. What you do looks very good, very aesthetically pleasing, but judging by what you are posting on your website you are from a different artistic world than these guys - not necessarily a higher or better world, just a different one.

Get off your high horse.

bobbyflay

Neo Member
Shinz Kicker said:

It's a cool style...one that could fit many editorial magazines. I just can't stress enough what a bitch freelance art can be..you really need to kick down those art directors doors and demand they see your stuff. Now, I'm not totally into Omar's art but I have a ton of respect for him, his level of talent and the fact he's making a living off it. It's a tough business and I wish you the best of luck.

Anyways, I hope hd remix gets sorted out. Considering I mess around in animation, didn't even foresee this idea of great art/terrible fluidity in the sprites they're reproducing. Maybe they could throw all the frames into a single photoshop file and run em through imageready to get a sense of where the flaws are. It's low-tech, but that's what I would do.

omar has great ability to draw in VERY specific style. i was kinda of being a dick for hating on it for being quasi anime. he also can do figure with muscular proportions well also. i dont really have a critque on it other than there is so much of glut of this stuff out there right now its hurts to see more of it.

several post earlier a comment on how "totally spies" the backgrounds were and thats what im talking about. the old school background werent stylized they were using what they had at the time to try and realistically render a human, elephant, bathhouse. these guys have the world compared to the old stuff and they are drawing distinctly outlined figures that have more definition in their outer figure than any of the main players. remove the outlines and paint a little and give it some life.

bobbyflay

Neo Member
I imagine some heads were rolling at udon over this situation. Even if the version 2 sprites are less detailed, they're anatomically more correct. + the new artists aren't literally copy and pasting heads off of old capcom character art like before. It was shaping up to be really embarrassing.

If they can work out the fluidity in the animation, I still believe this game can be pretty great. I still prefer third strike for gameplay, but I'll be buying this up.

Shinz Kicker said:
omar has great ability to draw in VERY specific style. i was kinda of being a dick for hating on it for being quasi anime. he also can do figure with muscular proportions well also. i dont really have a critque on it other than there is so much of glut of this stuff out there right now its hurts to see more of it.

several post earlier a comment on how "totally spies" the backgrounds were and thats what im talking about. the old school background werent stylized they were using what they had at the time to try and realistically render a human, elephant, bathhouse. these guys have the world compared to the old stuff and they are drawing distinctly outlined figures that have more definition in their outer figure than any of the main players. remove the outlines and paint a little and give it some life.

To be fair that is the first background I've seen that has done that.

the bathhouse level with the breakaway wall better fucking rock. i want some awesome manservice going on when i see it. still if this is game is 10 or even 15 is anyone not going to buy it. also demo must be included with sfiv.

Shinz Kicker said:

Holy shit man. I normally don't do this to other artists but I would definitely shut the hell up about anyone else's work if I were you. Seriously.

Borman

Shinz Kicker said:
the bathhouse level with the breakaway wall better fucking rock. i want some awesome manservice going on when i see it. still if this is game is 10 or even 15 is anyone not going to buy it. also demo must be included with sfiv.
Beta is coming with the Commandos game or whatever it is.

Shinz Kicker said:

Yeah... I don't want to be a dick about this, but you did kind of bring it on yourself by asking how Omar can get work when

catbut.png

your work is fairly lacking in detail (although I assume thats a stylistic choice) and your pose here is pretty... Liefeldesque anatomically... where exactly is that guys left knee supposed to be?

I'd assume you have at least heard of the Vitruvian man?

neight

Banned
Get some cred before you criticize other successful people from a standpoint of being in the same field and claiming better talent than them. I personally don't like your stuff, it looks like stuff I see in Flash animations. I don't know how your stuff with more detail looks. And James Jean rocks(his covers for Fables are just as big a treat as the content between the covers).

Pachael

Well, the past few pages of this certainly won't convince anybody else to do HD remakes. Thank god for putting that argument to sleep!

Pachael said:
Well, the past few pages of this certainly won't convince anybody else to do HD remakes. Thank god for putting that argument to sleep!

I think the key here is anything worth doing is worth doing correctly. We appreciate the concept of a Street Fighter 2 HD, but its execution is where it's tripping up. And I mean, c'mon. It's Backbone Entertainment. They aren't exactly known for high-quality ports to stuff like XBLA; the very definition of a Backbone/Digital Eclipse XBLA port is "just good enough to be somewhat functional". Considering how some of their ports are, they should probably think about renaming their company to Barebones Entertainment. SF2HD is an oddity considering their prior releases on PSN/XBLA, and considering the art inconsistency and changes its seen, it almost seems like they're fumbling around a bit with the game.

Honestly, the minute I heard Backbone was doing this my expectations dropped like a stone and every time I see a video with bizarre animation inconsistency or something I just nod my head and go, "Yup. Backbone Entertainment."

Alcahest

- Except the fighters themselves, nothing looks japanese anymore, from character's health bar design to backgrounds, good'ol japanese touch is gone.
- of course outsourced to reduce dev-costs explains the first point
- character portraits' style is weak too (what happened to Ken, went back to class?)
- comes with some aweful (not all of them but still) music remixes
- seeing how the graphics were "enhanced" I doubt the original game timing will be intact on the final product either and it's gonna feel odd to play.
Such a shame how capcom treats its first Street title on ps3.
but i guess the average joe american doesn't care otherwise capcom would have developped the game in-house. Now I really wonder what the japanese reaction to this game will be.. but i think i know already.
I wished major japanese companies stopped outsourcing to noobs in the west just to make a quick buck. it's disgraceful and not what you'd expect from them.

Darkpen

Banned
Sorry, shinz, but your portfolio feels very "samey" to me; there's a severe lack of originality, but on the other hand, the illustrations are fairly to the point. Perhaps some variety and thought provocation is in order. I agree with several of your points, but comparing yourself wasn't very professional, nor smart. Shame on your ego.

jman2050

MarkMan said:
The look of this game is not going to change the actual gameplay (which is unchanged [except in rebalanced mode]), when playing the original SSF2T mode on this, it will look different but should essentially play the same. I'm sure it might look awful, but it will still play just as well as it always has.

This would be a good argument if I didn't have at least 3 other ways to play SSF2T already with little to no effort involved.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's just interesting to me that Capcom continues to make some of the same mistakes as they did in the past. Overshadowing their own work. Announce HD Remix? Here's some Street Fighter 4 with that. SF4 now enough for you? Here's some Basara X (Yeah, it's ASW, but it's Capcom's series). Basara X no good? Try out some Tatsukono vs. Capcom!

In an ideal world, SSF2T: HDR would have released, created buzz, then been followed with Street Fighter 4's reveal amid hype and fanfare.

I do believe that is what Capcom intended. But, this project seems stuck in development hell. And it seems to look worse each batch of new screens that come out.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Yeah... I don't want to be a dick about this, but you did kind of bring it on yourself by asking how Omar can get work when

your work is fairly lacking in detail (although I assume thats a stylistic choice) and your pose here is pretty... Liefeldesque anatomically... where exactly is that guys left knee supposed to be?

I'd assume you have at least heard of the Vitruvian man?

you kind of got me on this one. im pretty ashamed of it. as of stylistical wise i do what i do because i like it conceptuality. i updated a lot of the old stuff right before i graduated but that peice. not to mention i solely work out of illustrator. i need to post some sketches to show my ability to do other things than what is in my portfolio, specfically my true ability to draw.

i didnt really want to compare myself to omar, because he does not work even close to what i do or want to do. thanks for little bit of constructive critism i had sift out of the posts, it knew i was gonna get shit for not having a cookie cutter comic book porfolio. ill get better probably change my style a few times over the years and ill work for a living off of it, i hope for the same for omar. im just kinda filled to the brim with middle of the road anime esque art. my beef was almost noting with him as an artist and more his style.

Shinz Kicker said:

learn some modesty and respect or you will go nowhere as an artist.

Omar is an insanely talented artist with a great track record and lots of respect. You'd do better to learn from him instead of trying to prove he isnt good or how his style isnt original.

duckroll

Cromulent_Word said:
Omar is an insanely talented artist with a great track record and lots of respect. You'd do better to learn from him instead of trying to prove he isnt good or how his style isnt original.

Really? What's there to learn from these awful backgrounds? Not to accept jobs from Capcom USA? :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Shinz: You're acting - and I hate to say this because it happens so often - like the typical "hey look at me I have a BFA, so I must know what I'm talking about" artist. Trust me when I say that in the world of art, a TITLE is the least important thing, you live and die by your portfolio, doesn't matter if you have a BFA, and MFA, an ASS or a WTF. I'm not saying this because I have credentials to tell you this, I tell you because that kind of "oh shits I'm gonna be rolling in the freelance" attitude will hurt you in the long run, Ive seen it happen before, specially when your portfolio isn't even aimed at the same industry.

Regrettably your portfolio as of now shows more style than substance, Omar is miles ahead of you right now ... and I'm not even a big fan of his stuff, his colors are nice, he has some nice character drawings .. but not enough backgrounds, which shows in these SF screens (or maybe he did do a nice job and his Art Director sucks ass, which also happens)

Anyways so uh yeah, HD remake, blegh

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kintaro said:
It's just interesting to me that Capcom continues to make some of the same mistakes as they did in the past. Overshadowing their own work. Announce HD Remix? Here's some Street Fighter 4 with that. SF4 now enough for you? Here's some Basara X (Yeah, it's ASW, but it's Capcom's series). Basara X no good? Try out some Tatsukono vs. Capcom!

Basara X fills a very different niche from Street Fighter IV. That much is obvious by walking into an arcade. The SFIV players are not the same people playing Basara X.

Shinz Kicker said:

Looking at your "work", you don't have waht it takes. It's all very simplistic and not really something that myself as an artist would even consider putting into any sort of portfolio.

Just because you have a diploma doesn't mean you have TALENT.. it just means you made it trhough the course. Be prepared for a humbling smack in the face real quick.

Omar's work is definetly great work and has a sense of style. He's making acareer out of it and it's obviously in demand.
Your stuff? I just can't see a call for a poorly drawn vector image of someone digging otu a booger.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Its time to kill this project capcom, have the balls to pull a Warcraft Adventures, please. We have SFIV now, we don't need this anymore.

blackadde

i'm not the hugest fan of omar's work - i mostly just don't enjoy his stylistic influences very much - but not many people on this forum are really qualified to pull rank on him with a BFA.

duckroll said:
Really? What's there to learn from these awful backgrounds? Not to accept jobs from Capcom USA? :)
When you take a commercial job, you are often constrained by the people you are working for. It does not matter how talented you are (and trust me, Omar is incredibly talented). Your shitty boss/art director can ruin everything.

Also, the works done for this project screams time constraints for the artists. The portrait of Chun Li I "fixed" few pages back is a prime example of that. That guy, whoever that was, is very skilled. But didn't have the time or the energy to stop and see if his drawing was all kosher before he rendered it (in the same quick technique as the game sprites). These guys are obviously strained beyond their comfort level.

tahrikmili said:
Cold. Lovely.

It was cold, but he deserved it. Shitting on incredible works of others with a bunch of iPod silhouette ad ripoffs... WTF. Editorialize about how vain your theme is. How about that?

turk128

Okay, now that that's over... why does it seem as if Doggan downgraded himself when it came to SF2HD background art? You can see his style there but there's a noticeable difference in quality.

Maybe it has to do with Udon, I mean even AH! turned in a mehtastic piece for their art book.

Xtyle

turk128 said:
Okay, now that that's over... why does it seem as if Doggan downgraded himself when it came to SF2HD background art? You can see his style there but there's a noticeable difference in quality.

Maybe it has to do with Udon, I mean even AH! turned in a mehtastic piece for their art book.

I don't know anything about this Doggan. There could be a # of reasons. Doing a piece of drawing on your own pace, with no pressure, is different from drawing many of them, with a given amount of time, and in a specific style. Also keep in mind that drawing is not the very same as animating. The HD remake art that's released so far look pretty bad.

Top Bottom