• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Screens

The Hermit

Seiken said:
I'm hating this game more than ever. I mean, I so want this to look and play good but it seems impossible! I hate absolutely hate the new art direction they went for:

aGPRQtMlr.gif

And the gameplay looks awful since there are no added frames what so ever... shit, give me SFIV right away.

I don´t get it... the white model looks much better than the blue one. I think this comparison shows the improvement actually.

jett

D-Member
Baiano19 said:
I don´t get it... the white model looks much better than the blue one. I think this comparison shows the improvement actually.

Uh, the white model was replaced with the other one.

They gotta de-saturate and lessen the contrast on the backgrounds. It's fighting with the foreground fighters way too much. Who the hell is the art director on this job? Fucking get with the program.

Perdew

Man, looking at the comparison shots, Fei Long and Zangief's stages look very, very nice now. It's just the people in the background being, more or less, just as detailed as the sprites (ugggh) makes it weird.

That was my problem with Guilty Gear, also, the backgrounds kind of hid the characters in a lot of instances.

The-Switcher said:
Hmm...sorry to nitpick, but could you shrink down the HD shots, and post them side-by-side with the original Turbo? That would give a better look of a comparison.
Wouldn't that be unfair to the HD shots then?

detail would be lost from shrinking

kurahadol

zaccheus said:
no. look at the latest screenshots. theyre putting less detail into the sprites.

heh, re-read his post. He said the white one WAS replaced by the blue one, not that it did replace.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

evilone

EA Employee
Teknoman said:
I just wish they could get out more videos of the game in motion and from recent builds.

LOL I just wish they would get the game out before SF4 comes out. :lol :lol :lol

zaccheus

Banned
Sapiens said:

oh god, i feel really bad for the guy doing this.. the animation is really off. he's gonna have to redo it :\

he probably thought this was going to be an easy trace project, but vector drawings are much less seamless than pixels.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
kurahadol said:
I like the guy with the white shirt in the background, he's really kickin' out the jams.
:lol

Hunahan

Banned
The-Switcher said:
Hmm...sorry to nitpick, but could you shrink down the HD shots, and post them side-by-side with the original Turbo? That would give a better look of a comparison.
sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

Although it really would have been more fair to increase the size of the old ones. No one's going to play the game on a TV this small, right.

But that would be too big to take in...

kurahadol

Dark Octave said:
Ryu's head is slightly turned to the right, making him look uninterested in the fight. In the old one he's looking at his enemy.

I think he's scared of that giant purple peacock. There's something unsettling about that thing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't remember the original SSF looking nearly that bad. Maybe it looks a little different when you display it on an SDTV.

Jim

Seiken said:
HD Ryu looks like he's taking drugs ffs!

Withdrawal shivers

Amazing comparison BTW. Whoever did that spent way too much time on it.
I'm definitely buying it, but I think I may end up using the classic art and hope the online gameplay is solid.

Yoshichan

This game really needs two different modes, one with the original frame counts and one with more frames so the movement doesn't look so herky jerky.

zaccheus said:
oh god, i feel really bad for the guy doing this.. the animation is really off. he's gonna have to redo it :\

he probably thought this was going to be an easy trace project, but vector drawings are much less seamless than pixels.

The artwork is not vector based, they're still bitmap/raster based sprites.

Jim

This is a little more inline with the actual aspect ratio, since even though SSF2 is output at a weird resolution, it is still displayed in 4:3.

Both are closer to 4:3 here:

ssf2_comp1.jpg

ssf2_comp2.jpg

ssf2_comp3.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The people eating at the dinner table in the last shot look so horrible :lol

The loss of detail from SD -> HD is stunning.

Sapiens

This is what you get when an inexperienced team of farmed out art school rejects try to improve a game that was originally made by a team comprised of 2D masters.

LOL.

Capcom, this should be free.

The Hermit

Himuro said:
Dude. Like Kev said, the loss of detail is stunning.

But it just goes to show how classic SFII is. Just looking at those pics has me humming Ken's song.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MIND!

Jim

Himuro said:
Dude. Like Kev said, the loss of detail is stunning.

But it just goes to show how classic SFII is. Just looking at those pics has me humming Ken's song.

4096 colors on screen, with only 16 color per tile. Real artists.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Ryu1999 said:
Here's crackbone's simple edit of ryu idle animation, all he did was remove 1 or 2 offending frames

sdandhd0aed0.gif

ryuanifixed.gif

The most offending frame is still there, its the one where his elbow just all of a sudden jerks out of position. There are many things about that idle that are wrong (I did 3 years of 2d animation), but that elbow is the worst offender.

Perdew

Raging Spaniard said:
The most offending frame is still there, its the one where his elbow just all of a sudden jerks out of position. There are many things about that idle that are wrong (I did 3 years of 2d animation), but that elbow is the worst offender.

Yea, that left (his right) leg sticks out to me, the cloth is all over the place.

KurowaSan

i see i'm already late but well, but now that i took them with 4:3 ratio fixed on the original version, at least i'm gonna post them :lol

2s623it.jpg

30hu7iu.jpg

143ku4w.jpg

As the vertical field of view of the HD version is smaller, instead of cropping, I just resized them maintaining their ratio.

KTallguy

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Err.. Does noone else notice his foot behind his foot and the bar going with the other one? Is this a gif making error?

Just an edit.

Yea, I hope they can clean this up and release it before SF4 is released :lol

the reason why I didn't take shots in 4:3 is because the original resolution of the arcade version is 384 x 224, which, unless I'm mistaken, is much closer to 16:9 than 4:3.

BTW, concerning the gif of Ryu's idle stance, I don't think it can really be fixed since the animation was created for sprites in that rez, and larger sprites with the same animation will show the flaws more easily.

I personally dislike how some of the HD sprites look, and I don't think that the backgrounds mesh well with the sprites, but I am very interested in the rebalancing of the gameplay. Sucks what they did to T Hawk tho.

Top Bottom