• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Screens

duckroll

The longer this project drags on for, the more awful it's going to be. I don't think the backlash and negative comments are going to make the ONE GUY drawing it feel any more motivated or enjoy his job more, but facts are facts - if it looks shitty people will say so. Capcom should really have put a lid on this until they had something nice to show or it was almost done. Dragging out the media coverage like this is just going to turn more and more people off the game and make the developer feel more and more shitty.

kurahadol

duckroll said:
The longer this project drags on for, the more awful it's going to be. I don't think the backlash and negative comments are going to make the ONE GUY drawing it feel any more motivated or enjoy his job more, but facts are facts - if it looks shitty people will say so. Capcom should really have put a lid on this until they had something nice to show or it was almost done. Dragging out the media coverage like this is just going to turn more and more people off the game and make the developer feel more and more shitty.

Seriously. When first announced, people lept out of their seats. Those first screens blew people's minds. I, for one, could not wait. Now as each passing day goes on and as more and more information spills out, I'm looking forward to it less and less. It's still going to be a day 1 purchase for me (if it actually ever comes out) but with a game like this, keeping up with the public's "standards" is going to give the developers a stroke.

I thought the old sprites looked fine, just a few tweaks here and there some anatomy fixes, redoing the whole sprites again just sends the wrong message.

kurahadol

Kintaro said:
I used to wish they would do SF3:3rd Strike after this game. I no longer have that wish.

3rd Strike is perfect it as it is. Just give me a new 2d high-res Street Fighter game. I'm looking forward to SFIV but I would prefer the HD 2d sprites over all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i remember the good times in the original thread, and all the bitching about guile and cammy and bg's like this:

ssf2000hd.jpg

Pojo

Banned
I think it looks like the worst kind of fan made project, only it's real. We finally get HD SFII and it looks like this?

Yeah, I know. It's probably a small team of super fanboys that are ripping their collective hairs out trying to finish this for the fans. Udon has some great artists, though...couldn't they at least make the backgrounds look nicer? Looks so generic, even in comparison to the comics.

Bebpo

Banned
People need to stop nitpicking this. Every time someone says "that background sucks!" or "that animation frame sucks!" The game gets delayed another 6 months to redo it. If people don't stay quiet the game isn't going to come out until 2020.

I posted this in the other thread, but it works for here too...

The game does not look that bad, seriously get some perspective. This isnt a new title, but a redrawn and tweaked. It takes time to HAND DRAW every single frame of animation for about 20 (?) characters.

Do you even realize how long that takes? To drawn..every frame... color numerous times (palette swaps) and then put it to motion. With a small dev team that's quite the undertaking.

Jesus, some of you people are WAYYYYYY too critical.

Sapiens

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Oh man. Another disaster of an update. They might have to delay it by another year.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Bebpo said:
People need to stop nitpicking this. Every time someone says "that background sucks!" or "that animation frame sucks!" The game gets delayed another 6 months to redo it. If people don't stay quiet the game isn't going to come out until 2020.

you just gave them new hope/motivation.

kurahadol

Outcast2004 said:

The game does not look that bad, seriously get some perspective. This isnt a new title, but a redrawn and tweaked. It takes time to HAND DRAW every single frame of animation for about 20 (?) characters.

Do you even realize how long that takes? To drawn..every frame... color numerous times (palette swaps) and then put it to motion. With a small dev team that's quite the undertaking.

I understand what you're saying, but having 1 person do all this work and having it coming out sub-par is no fault but Capcom's. The pressure that one artist is going through is tremendous and since there is only the single person, the game is suffering for it. People are just upset because it's not everything they were "promised." Yes it is an improvement graphically, but it could be so much more.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
mattiewheels said:
i remember the good times in the original thread, and all the bitching about guile and cammy and bg's like this:

ssf2000hd.jpg

That still looks awful. Game looked bad then, it looks worse now.

Who the fuck said its 1 guy drawing the frames? That sounds like bullshit, and if true, he/she needs to take some .. I dunno, 4 years of 2D animation lessons

kurahadol

Raging Spaniard said:
That still looks awful. Game looked bad then, it looks worse now.

Who the fuck said its 1 guy drawing the frames? That sounds like bullshit, and if true, he/she needs to take some .. I dunno, 4 years of 2D animation lessons

I read it somewhere in the official thread, let me see if I can find the post again. If not one, it's still a small development team, which is still hindering the game's production.

Edit: maybe it was this thread, here's what I read, no source or anything, but honestly I wouldn't doubt it at the pace this game is moving :lol

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11280204&postcount=87

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The-Switcher said:
To be honest...has ANYONE really done a game like this? Like, taken a 15 year old game and redrawn every sprite in HD?

I think after they saw what SNK did with KoF, and how they went about making their HD sprites, the folks at Capcom USA and Udon must've felt kind of stupid, really.

Gabrius

Raging Spaniard said:
I think after they saw what SNK did with KoF, and how they went about making their HD sprites, the folks at Capcom USA and Udon must've felt kind of stupid, really.

You're probably right.... I suspect what SNK is doing with KoFXII is partially to blame for all the delays as well....

Emiru

Banned
thetrin said:
I fucking blame MS and their retarded space policy for Xbox Live.

Capcom, if you're reading this, PLEASE use PSN's lack of regulations to your advantage! Improve the quality!
such an uninformed idiot.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
So it's one guy doing all the frame work? Jeez, Capcom give it a bigger budget for the thing will ya.

Like I said before, there probably isn't a game.

It's just one dude with photoshop.

Gagaman

The-Switcher said:
To be honest...has ANYONE really done a game like this? Like, taken a 15 year old game and redrawn every sprite in HD?
Well there is those guys that are doing a HD remake of Sonic 2. Mind you, that is a group of people not just one, and who knows if it'll ever get finished, but still, when you get results like this..

animationcompletefc7ig8.gif

How capcom could have only one guy on such a massive task would certimnaly explain how long it has taken. Surely it would have made more sense to have a different artist on each character, although there would have to be some good quality control to make sure the art of each character didn't clash.

I don't think the sprites are that bad though I don't like that they took them in the Alpha direction.

The backgrounds look really bad though. They just look really cartoony(Even compared to the sprites) and completely flat. Has a sorta flash animation with an extra helping of stale type look.

Xtyle

Outcast2004 said:

That there DOES NOT make any sense to me whatsoever.
consumers/fans care about the quality of the products they buy. Period. Who gives a flying fuck if it is a 200 men team making this or a one man team? In the end, we get to buy the same ugly game as it looks to be.

Teknoman

Gagaman said:
Well there is those guys that are doing a HD remake of Sonic 2. Mind you, that is a group of people not just one, and who knows if it'll ever get finished, but still, when you get results like this..

How capcom could have only one guy on such a massive task would certimnaly explain how long it has taken. Surely it would have made more sense to have a different artist on each character, although there would have to be some good quality control to make sure the art of each character didn't clash.

whoa wait a minute!

HD? Sonic 2? Remake? When did this start taking place?

Sapiens

Gagaman said:

Amazing.

It's amazing how a zero-budget, volunteer based fan project is already looking better than this overfunded, overdue Udon trash Capcom is set to unleash on true fans.

Seriously, go to the Sonic 2 HD forum. It looks great.

Okin

What the hell is wrong with you people? This game looks fine, and it looks leagues better than the original. Are any of you going to back up your hate, or are you just going to continue being snobs?

Sapiens

Okin said:
What the hell is wrong with you people? This game looks fine, and it looks leagues better than the original. Are any of you going to back up your hate, or are you just going to continue being snobs?

For someone with an avatar from such a great game, you should have better tastes.

Trust me, this game looks like shit and in motion, it will blow. Hard.

JOIN US!

kazuo

There is not "one guy" from UDON doing all the animation. They farmed it out to a studio in Korea, IIRC, and part of the reason that they changed the level of detail in the sprites was to ensure consistency between the different artists in the Korean studio churning out the actual animation for the game and to enhance production speed.

Well, at least we know the artwork is consistently shitty. Plan didn't help much to speed production, though.

This is from the Capcom devblog. Too lazy to look up the actual post; you do it if you care enough.

Anyone that thinks one guy is doing all of the frames for this game is tripping balls; it literally wouldn't come out for another 10 years if that were the case.

And they CANT add more frames because that would CHANGE THE GAME.

Rage. :lol

Top Bottom