• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Screens

Okin

Sapiens said:
For someone with an avatar from such a great game, you should have better tastes.

Trust me, this game looks like shit and in motion, it will blow. Hard.

JOIN US!

It did look like shit in motion, but from what I hear they've been addressing the issue by hiring people who actually work with animation, and have constantly been trying to refine the game. And, for that matter, I think the screens look awesome, and always have. It was just the motion in the past that was the killer.

Everyone seems content to just come in here and say it looks like crap based upon the videos that got out a while ago, even though the screens look pretty cool (IMO, of course).

That said, I should have you know I can probably recite the entire script of Full Throttle from memory if my taste requires further scrutiny :p

Sapiens

Okin said:
It did look like shit in motion, but from what I hear they've been addressing the issue by hiring people who actually work with animation, and have constantly been trying to refine the game. And, for that matter, I think the screens look awesome, and always have. It was just the motion in the past that was the killer.

Everyone seems content to just come in here and say it looks like crap based upon the videos that got out a while ago, even though the screens look pretty cool (IMO, of course).

That said, I should have you know I can probably recite the entire script of Full Throttle from memory if my taste requires further scrutiny :p

Awesome game.

I'll forgive you once the game comes out and you see the error of your ways.

Everyone else? You're on the shit list for ever.

kazuo said:
There is not "one guy" from UDON doing all the animation. They farmed it out to a studio in Korea, IIRC, and part of the reason that they changed the level of detail in the sprites was to ensure consistency between the different artists in the Korean studio churning out the actual animation for the game and to enhance production speed.

Well, at least we know the artwork is consistently shitty. Plan didn't help much to speed production, though.

This is from the Capcom devblog. Too lazy to look up the actual post; you do it if you care enough.

Anyone that thinks one guy is doing all of the frames for this game is tripping balls; it literally wouldn't come out for another 10 years if that were the case.

And they CANT add more frames because that would CHANGE THE GAME.

Rage. :lol

But it's super funny to imagine it.

Sapiens

New Rumour Report!

-Word has it that udon WILL be adding new frames. Unfortunately, those new frames will only consist of crotch shots for Cammy and Chun Li. The way they have it set up so far, you should be able to get a good view of their vags in 92% of the total frames.

Pein

Banned
Sapiens said:
New Rumour Report!

-Word has it that udon WILL be adding new frames. Unfortunately, those new frames will only consist of crotch shots for Cammy and Chun Li. The way they have it set up so far, you should be able to get a good view of their vags in 92% of the total frames.
can't wait

Chun-Li Portait

This one's a lot better than the others. Capture's the original sprite design alot better then previous portait art. Although still not as good.

1zzkgts.jpg

chunny575.png

The-Switcher said:
Chun-Li Portait

This one's a lot better than the others. Capture's the original sprite design alot better then previous portait art. Although still not as good.

1zzkgts.jpg

chunny575.png
Hey Capcom USA. Here's a freebee. Fixed for free. No charge. PLEASE USE IT.

CLfixed.jpg

FightyF

Banned
It would be way too costly to do another remix.

Another HD 2D game, with brand new content would be far cheaper, if they modelled the characters in 3D, applied some filters, and rendered sprites from them.

Heck, you could have 30fps HD 2D games.

v1cious

Banned
for some reason, this game is starting to look less than amazing. i mean when i first started seeing media, i was blown away. i can't figure what it is, but it just doesn't look as good any more.

MCD

Shogmaster said:
Hey Capcom USA. Here's a freebee. Fixed for free. No charge. PLEASE USE IT.

CLfixed.jpg
did you change the eyes?

I'm having a hard time seeing what you did there shog.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks really nice, but I think I'm still much more impressed with KOFXII. That is truly one of the most impressive looking 2D games I've seen yet.

Ranger X

This is so beautifull. Damn i'm not even a fighters fan but when i see they still come out in 2D i feel like buying them.

ME LOVE 2D

v1cious said:
for some reason, this game is starting to look less than amazing. i mean when i first started media, i was blown away. i can't figure what it is, but it just doesn't look as good any more.

Probably has to do with the huge graphics downgrade.

nightside

awful character design...and the the deejay and balrog stages somehow reminds me of "where in time is carmen sandiego":|:|

and i guess the worst is that bakgrounds will have the same animations of 15 years ago.

Kirk

Very nicely done Shog. Man Chun-Li's SSF2 portrait was awful. It's hard not to improve on that.

I'll take this chance to chime in: this just keeps getting worse. I can't believe how terrible Deejay's background looks. Balrog's looks quite good; I can't understand how they expect both to be in the same game together.

I had really high hopes for this project to begin with, so I hope they're able to salvage it.

MisterHero

kazuo said:
There is not "one guy" from UDON doing all the animation. They farmed it out to a studio in Korea, IIRC, and part of the reason that they changed the level of detail in the sprites was to ensure consistency between the different artists in the Korean studio churning out the actual animation for the game and to enhance production speed.

Well, at least we know the artwork is consistently shitty. Plan didn't help much to speed production, though.

This is from the Capcom devblog. Too lazy to look up the actual post; you do it if you care enough.

Anyone that thinks one guy is doing all of the frames for this game is tripping balls; it literally wouldn't come out for another 10 years if that were the case.

And they CANT add more frames because that would CHANGE THE GAME.

Rage. :lol
No they just don't have "The Right Guy for the Job"(TM). They hired artists for an animator's job and that's what you'd get. Funnily I'd expect the same if they hired Marvel artists to sprite MvC3. :lol

I saw the footage from the Commando 3 trailer and I have a lot of problems with the animation. Lighting/shading isn't consistent even with adjacent frames and for some reason the 'toon-shading' hurts my eyes (compared to SFII's gradient-shading style).

To be fair SFIIHD isn't a major release/shelf title so I can't truly expect too much. I hope the gameplay is just as fun, if not more with the tweaks and whatnot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sapiens said:
DeeJays's BG looks like the wall paper at a tanning salon.
:lol :lol :lol

Oh god it does :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shog, nice work there.

kurahadol

Now whenever I pass by a tanning salon I'm going to have to yell out "HADOUKEN!"

I hope you guys are happy now, there's nothing I can do about this, it has to be done. Bastards.

Aske

kurahadol said:
Now whenever I pass by a tanning salon I'm going to have to yell out "HADOUKEN!"

I hope you guys are happy now, there's nothing I can do about this, it has to be done. Bastards.

I do that all the time, when passing any object of any size; and have done since 1992.

Sapiens

I'm surprised that Udon didn't mandate a panty shot in Chun-Li's portrait.

Why did the [unskilled] [amateur] artists make her look like a tranny?

Why do they expect us to pay for a [fan made hack] of a game that is over 15 years old?

kurahadol

Aske said:
I do that all the time, when passing any object of any size; and have done since 1992.

I think it works best when you do it in the mirror, because you can then see how awesome you truly look. Anybody who says otherwise is a witch and shall be burned.

Perdew

kurahadol said:
I think it works best when you do it in the mirror, because you can then see how awesome you truly look. Anybody who says otherwise is a witch and shall be burned.

I say it and make the motion every time I pass my car. (HADOUKEN is the license plate...)

Well they've got my 1600 MP now.

That and I hope we have some kind of arcade-to-console conversion of King of Fighters XII. Hand drawn...sexy...

Kirk

yurinka said:
Still has a tumor in the ear.

I think that's the Udon "watermark". After all, nobody else would draw something like that.

On the whole, I do like the look of the characters though.

For all the hate some people are giving this, I'm still much more interested in this than I am in SFIV. The latter will have to be very convincing to make me like SF in 3d.

radioheadrule83 said:
For all the hate some people are giving this, I'm still much more interested in this than I am in SFIV. The latter will have to be very convincing to make me like SF in 3d.

I guess all the people who have played it, and say it's awesome and plays great, and is alot like the older street fighter, but with some great new mechanics isn't enough.

Perdew

The-Switcher said:
I guess all the people who have played it, and say it's awesome and plays great, and is alot like the older street fighter, but with some great new mechanics isn't enough.

It's not like every report has been positive; I'm thinking everyone should at least try it and give it a fair shot. You shouldn't be absolutely in love with it before playing it, either, though. Especially since a lot of people loved the defensive 3rd Strike style, going to an offense based game could backfire completely to that crowd.

Chemo

The-Switcher said:
Huh, that's weird! I guess the haters must be having trouble getting over the fact that it looks like absolute dogshit.

kurahadol

As mentioned above, a lot of people are expecting a lot since this is the next Street Fighter, and 3rd Strike has a huge shadow. I can honestly see SFIV being a love it or hate it game, pretty much like 3rd Strike. In my opinion, I can see 3rd Strike elitests hating SFIV and the 3rd Strike haters loving SFIV. Of course there are still people in between who can enjoy both. I'm looking forward to both SFIV and SSF2THD but I'd be lying if I said my expectations haven't fallen for both games as more news has been released.

Chemo said:
Huh, that's weird! I guess the haters must be having trouble getting over the fact that it looks like absolute dogshit.

Which, as we all know, matters the most when it comes to fighting games.

Not if it's fun or engaging, or has balanced gameplay or anything.

Where's Alkaline? He'd set everything straight.

Hmm...sorry to nitpick, but could you shrink down the HD shots, and post them side-by-side with the original Turbo? That would give a better look of a comparison.

Top Bottom