• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Screens

Raging Spaniard said:
I think after they saw what SNK did with KoF, and how they went about making their HD sprites, the folks at Capcom USA and Udon must've felt kind of stupid, really.
What did SNK do with KoF that Capcom isn't doing here?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Metal Gear?! said:
What did SNK do with KoF that Capcom isn't doing here?

If I understand it right, SNK made hi-res 3d versions of all the characters, then re-painted them all in hi-res frame by frame by tracing over the hi-res models. That ensured consistent animation, consistent lighting and consistent detail in tune with the animation.

Capcom took the sprites, blew them up to hi-res size and then they re-drew the frames with the main stipulation to not exceed the original hit boxes. Since they added a lot of detail to each frame (doesnt matter if its well drawn or not) without keeping the animation mind, the animations look jerky and out of sinc.

Very different process

sandman

Banned
The new graphics doesn't look that good, the old style looks better. The dark thick edges of the new graphic really sucks.

Raging Spaniard said:
If I understand it right, SNK made hi-res 3d versions of all the characters, then re-painted them all in hi-res frame by frame by tracing over the hi-res models. That ensured consistent animation, consistent lighting and consistent detail in tune with the animation.

Capcom took the sprites, blew them up to hi-res size and then they re-drew the frames with the main stipulation to not exceed the original hit boxes. Since they added a lot of detail to each frame (doesnt matter if its well drawn or not) without keeping the animation mind, the animations look jerky and out of sinc.

Very different process
Did SNK do that for their original KoF sprites too? I notice KoF animation has always been "stiffer" than SFII animation and always had a bit more of a 3D look to it.

KurowaSan

viewtiful_dru said:
the reason why I didn't take shots in 4:3 is because the original resolution of the arcade version is 384 x 224, which, unless I'm mistaken, is much closer to 16:9 than 4:3.

Yes, that's the native resolution. But It was ment to be displayed in 4:3 screens. Sprites in their native resolution are a bit wider than the way they're intended to look like.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Metal Gear?! said:
Did SNK do that for their original KoF sprites too? I notice KoF animation has always been "stiffer" than SFII animation and always had a bit more of a 3D look to it.

Not that I know. SNK fighters have always had their signature style in terms of animation, but I believe they were done in similar fashion to Capcom sprites (SNK was founded by former Capcom staff after all)

SNK has also disclosed how they went about their new HD sprites, which leads me to think this is a new technique by them.

Raistlin

The-Switcher said:
Holy crap, lookit HD Ryu!

He actually has LESS detail!

No he doesn't :lol

The only place on him that is less detailed is the amount of shading (and a some creases) on the legs. Everything else is more detailed on the new one/

Onix said:

The only place on him that is less detailed is the amount of shading (and a some creases) on the legs. Everything else is more detailed on the new one/

Hey!

Pixels the size of my fist and the low color gradients are details too...kind of.....okay....I got nothing else, I'm sorry. :(

Teknoman

Still say wait till its running on your HDTV/Monitor/SDTV, then give the final verdict. Either that or a decent quality video.

"Still say wait till its running on your HDTV/Monitor/SDTV, then give the final verdict. Either that or a decent quality video."

Is that going to change the art style?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Onix said:

I'd say they have about the same amount of detail. But redrawing it in HD makes the lack of detail more obvious.

Liquid

Banned
waaaaaaaaaaait a minute. the problem with the animation isnt all because of the animation but what is drawn within the animations! look at the front of ryus gi! in the original the shading just moves up and down right below his forearm. in the remixed sprite the shading is made to look like wrinkles and because there are so few frames as is it results in a totally jarring look.

sdandhd0aed0.gif

by the belt on the original the shading stays horizontal. on the new one it goes from horizontal to diagonal. same with the flap and the belt. the drawings are spaced way too way apart resulting in that odd look. the shading is all over the place for so few frames. :lol WTF

Darkpen

Banned
turk128 said:
The background on this is decent but the color style makes it look like something out of Totally Spies.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

YES, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT WHEN I SAW THAT GIRL IN THE YELLOW AND GREEN :lol :lol :lol :lol

that, or winx, but mostly "Totally Spies"

Xtyle

their use of color on the BG is horrible. Just using the Deejay stage for example, the dancers have saturated green clothes...colors from that "distance" would be less saturated.
I also don't think the redrawn bg characters make any sense considering the location of the stage. Some now look more asianized if that's a word, like something I would expect from animes maybe. Besides that, there are all kinds of proportion, perspective, and composition problems with the art...it just...how do I put it, with today's videogame production, I do not expect ameture art like this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Metal Gear?! said:

Huh? KOF animation has always been much more fluid than Street Fighter (with the exception of 3rd Strike).

Liquid said:
waaaaaaaaaaait a minute. the problem with the animation isnt all because of the animation but what is drawn within the animations! look at the front of ryus gi! in the original the shading just moves up and down right below his forearm. in the remixed sprite the shading is made to look like wrinkles and because there are so few frames as is it results in a totally jarring look.

sdandhd0aed0.gif

by the belt on the original the shading stays horizontal. on the new one it goes from horizontal to diagonal. same with the flap and the belt. the drawings are spaced way too way apart resulting in that odd look. the shading is all over the place for so few frames. :lol WTF

I've been saying this since the first videos came out months ago. Udon sucks ass at animation consistency. Which isn't surprising, considering they aren't an animation studio. Capcom and Backbone should be ashamed for picking Udon to do ALL The sprites in the game.

They're good at pinup art, but animation? Obviously not.

GAF is now filled with expert game designers and world class artists. From the sounds of this thread, Capcom should have just mined the talent pool in this thread to make the game instead of using a bunch of hacks who know nothing about animation and art.

Kenshiro

FirstInHell said:
GAF is now filled with expert game designers and world class artists. From the sounds of this thread, Capcom should have just mined the talent pool in this thread to make the game instead of using a bunch of hacks who know nothing about animation and art.

Touche.

Chemo

FirstInHell said:
Like you have to be an expert game designer or a world class artist to recognize total bullshit.

Scorponok

I am not sure where people are getting the rumor that one guy is doing this. I spoke to Omar Doogan of Udon at the Calgary Comic Expo a few weeks ago, and he told me he was in charge of drawing all the backgrounds to this game.

IMO, they should have put him in charge of the sprites, since he's good at drawing characters, and that was what he was selling at the convention.

duckroll

Scorponok said:
I am not sure where people are getting the rumor that one guy is doing this. I spoke to Omar Doogan of Udon at the Calgary Comic Expo a few weeks ago, and he told me he was in charge of drawing all the backgrounds to this game.

IMO, they should have put him in charge of the sprites, since he's good at drawing characters, and that was what he was selling at the convention.

Sounds like he should excuse himself from this project asap. :lol

Seiken said:
I'm hating this game more than ever. I mean, I so want this to look and play good but it seems impossible! I hate absolutely hate the new art direction they went for:

aGPRQtMlr.gif

And the gameplay looks awful since there are no added frames what so ever... shit, give me SFIV right away.

It's simply amazing how much worse the new animation looks now, and the drop off in detail is so much it's looking like an Alpha series game

Pterion

FirstInHell said:
I hate pseudo-expert teenagers as much as the next guy, but they've got a point this time. It's a shame SF series hasn't improved for me after SF2 turbo and SSF. I was looking forward to this, but I'm not sure anymore. And SF4 = meh.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, I don't know what the fuck GAF likes in terms of art styles nowadays, so can somebody give me tell me where this stands with SF4 and that new Guilty Gear?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
The look of this game is not going to change the actual gameplay (which is unchanged [except in rebalanced mode]), when playing the original SSF2T mode on this, it will look different but should essentially play the same. I'm sure it might look awful, but it will still play just as well as it always has.

Mamesj

Banned
MarkMan said:
The look of this game is not going to change the actual gameplay (which is unchanged [except in rebalanced mode]), when playing the original SSF2T mode on this, it will look different but should essentially play the same. I'm sure it might look awful, but it will still play just as well as it always has.

It's alright, nobody will actually be playing the game. Just running it next to a TV with the original in order to find flaws and inconsistencies. that's the real game. ;)

Eccocid

Mamesj said:
It's alright, nobody will actually be playing the game. Just running it next to a TV with the original in order to find flaws and inconsistencies. that's the real game. ;)

lol so true! and lots of flash animations and photoshops!

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
this game should have been out by now. with every week i lose more interest.

Darkpen

Banned
Dali said:
Ugh... I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Is this a nod in agreement to the post you were replying to?
no, merely showing who he was bashing. I have no real critical opinion regarding the man's skill, when comparing those background shots and his CG stuff.

Top Bottom