• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 31: Second Chance | PLAYER VOTING IS LIVE | Jeff Probst's Fantasy Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kass/Abi-Maria reaction was fucking incredible.

Seriously:

tumblr_inline_noooyndncr1ryvp6k_500.gif

Man.....fuck Woo. Who the fuck wanted to see Woo play again?!

If you listen to Probst, kids. When they announced the concept a few weeks ago, he spent a bunch of time saying how beloved Woo was by kids.

Not happy with the one world characters or the blood/water making it...gave up on one world pretty quick with that asshole colson or whatever his name was. Think he came back for blood/water and I didn't want to watch that fuck the first time let alone a second(plus I hate the concept, so I skipped the second as well). Everyone else I'm fine with...but I don't know who the fuck these people are from those seasons. Hopefully, Kass goes quick. How did the brains get 3 people returning? Hope Kelly, Kimmi and Jeff do well. Barely remember some of these people...like the guy in the middle on the top row.

They were a pretty memorable tribe with distinct personalities + recency. Also, that's Keith from SJDS in the middle top. He was comically bad at the game. I have no idea why so many people wanted him back over someone like Shane or Jim.

So was Culpepper the only person who didn't make it for whom Probst didn't say something about one day getting another chance? He definitely said that for a few people, but he just kind of skipped over Brad.

Grexeno

Seriously:

tumblr_inline_noooyndncr1ryvp6k_500.gif
And to think that these two will undoubtedly despise each other on the island lol

Also, that's Keith from SJDS in the middle top. He was comically bad at the game. I have no idea why so many people wanted him back over someone like Shane or Jim.
Well, we wanted him back (not over Shane by any stretch) because he was comically bad at the game. You can't cast a Survivor season by just putting on strategic masterminds.

I agree with the praise for the older cast in here. I've always appreciated that Survivor resisted (somewhat) the slide into casting 85%+ co-ed mactors, a decision that ruined BB and TAR for me.

So was Culpepper the only person who didn't make it for whom Probst didn't say something about one day getting another chance? He definitely said that for a few people, but he just kind of skipped over Brad.

The whole Brad situation was just bizarre. His wife was tweeting the night that the Second Chance vote was announced... But she never tweeted one supportive tweet, and didn't tweet for two weeks. He didn't make any attempt to campaign, and he's on the heels of getting sued for insurance fraud because of his first appearance on Survivor. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but his whole situation was always weird.

llehuty

Also, the cold Joe/Shirin interaction at the reunion could be some mutual pre-planned target shrinker. I mean, people should be worried about people from seasons with high representation, they should do all they can to avoid looking like they are close.

Spencer/Tasha
Joe/Shirin
Jeremy/Keith
Vytas/Ciera

It's a bit like blood vs water post merge situation.

BunnyBear

Woo over Shane is an absolute travesty. Otherwise I'm happy with the cast but that left a sour taste in my mouth.

And Natalie and T-Bird's reactions to not getting picked. Heartbreaking =( Steph Valencia too. That was brutal.

Shane's going to come to your shitty apartment and cut you.

Fixed.

Also some people brought up the possibility that if Brad agreed to be Poll Filler that CBS would help him with his case or something like that. I don't know why he'd be up for a Second Chance and never campaign so it seems likely.

Monica tweeted about football I think on the day the voting was revealed?

I'm honestly a bit scared for S32. It could be they just switched to avoid spoilers for an All Stars Season and so that the vote lead straight into the season, but it could also mean that it ends up being predictable/full of terrible people like WA, even if entertaining, and they didn't want two like that back-to-back.

Grexeno

I'm honestly a bit scared for S32. It could be they just switched to avoid spoilers for an All Stars Season and so that the vote lead straight into the season, but it could also mean that it ends up being predictable/full of terrible people like WA, even if entertaining, and they didn't want two like that back-to-back.
Apparently the thing we have to worry about the most is that the entire cast is going to die of heat and be eaten alive by insects.

The delay honestly had nothing to do with the quality of 32. It just wouldn't make sense to make people wait that long to see the all star season they had just voted on. People would be more interested in that (and its spoilers) and wouldn't care as much about the current season.

The casting for 32 is interesting so far. Some are reminiscent of the original
BBB

Apparently the thing we have to worry about the most is that the entire cast is going to die of heat and be eaten alive by insects.

Yeah. That is a huge problem with the back-to-back filming. 31 will have to be there as well.

The delay honestly had nothing to do with the quality of 32. It just wouldn't make sense to make people wait that long to see the all star season they had just voted on. People would be more interested in that (and its spoilers) and wouldn't care as much about the current season.

The casting for 32 is interesting so far. Some are reminiscent of the original
BBB

I think that was most likely the case (and some of the cast seems a bit interesting already) but I always worry, heh. I'm likely being overly pessimistic, though.

Well, we wanted him back (not over Shane by any stretch) because he was comically bad at the game. You can't cast a Survivor season by just putting on strategic masterminds.

I still don't get it. He's not even someone like Ciera, who started off as a little clueless but ended up figuring things out as she went along. He was clueless to start, and clueless to finish. I agree you need a mix of people, and not just hardcore strategy all the time, but apart from Brad, Keith was the person on there I wanted to see least.

Also some people brought up the possibility that if Brad agreed to be Poll Filler that CBS would help him with his case or something like that. I don't know why he'd be up for a Second Chance and never campaign so it seems likely.

That doesn't make a tonne of sense, though. I don't know how it works from the legal perspective -- I'd assume that he could just subpoena the tapes, assuming they exist -- but from it's not like they really needed poll filler here. I'd be shocked if anyone out there was wondering when Brad Culpepper would be making a return to Survivor. He played one season kind of badly, and you could see Probst's crush on him rapidly diminish week by week (seriously, he went from being Culpepper at the begining to just being "Brad" by the time he was voted out/lost at redemption island). And hasn't Survivor just tended to avoid people with known legal issues? They must've had a lot more people than Greg Buis & Ian turn them down for Brad to have made the list.

I think that was most likely the case (and some of the cast seems a bit interesting already) but I always worry, heh. I'm likely being overly pessimistic, though.

I get that. It's natural after coming off of a season a lot of people disliked (for some people 2 seasons). I try to remain optimistic. :p

Anybody know if that NBA guy is a big deal/famous? I don't really keep up with basketball. I kind of like that they went for a poker player again.

Grexeno

Listening to the Rob recap podcast, I guess it does make sense that the 11 people who didn't make the cut will be alternates.

Also, that's Keith from SJDS in the middle top.

Ahh, as I said before I didn't watch those(B/W, watched a few episodes of one world, missed a couple seasons in the middle of the show, where a black guy wins I think and where the ladies took over the game yet some white dude ended up winning)...that explains it. Thanks. I've seen every other season(maybe missed an episode or 2 in those) besides those 5...which I think 1 of those earlier ones(black guy winning, I watched up to the merge but had other stuff going on in life, Spring 2007).

Still, some of these people for next season I can not really place and I've probably seen their seasons. Looks like I don't know 6 of them from the eye test. Top row, 1st/2nd/4th. Middle, 2nd(perhaps 3rd...though she looks familiar...no idea of what she did though in what season...forgettable), bottom row, 4th and 6th.

I get that. It's natural after coming off of a season a lot of people disliked (for some people 2 seasons). I try to remain optimistic. :p

I don't think there's any reason not to be optimistic -- like others have said, the only way the voting thing really works is if it's the very next season. Otherwise, it would be seven months between cast reveal and the season airing, which is kind of an eternity nowadays.

Grexeno

The fan voting ended up being very successful. I wouldn't be shocked if we see it back for perhaps even an all newbies season.

^It's a cool idea, but then people may skip the videos and just vote for arbitrary factors since there's no 'past turn' to judge people on. I think it could be cool to try, though.

I don't think there's any reason not to be optimistic -- like others have said, the only way the voting thing really works is if it's the very next season. Otherwise, it would be seven months between cast reveal and the season airing, which is kind of an eternity nowadays.

On the other hand, poor S32 winner who will only know one year later.

Logo!

The fan voting ended up being very successful. I wouldn't be shocked if we see it back for perhaps even an all newbies season.

I don't think a newbie vote would be as successful -- it would skew too much towards people that catered to the hardcore crowd, since you wouldn't get as many casual fans voting for people they remember seeing on TV.

Though on the plus side, that would mean no people like Woo getting the kid vote.

That's literally what I said up the page, lol. He said he worried about the potential quality of the season, I said I was remaining optimistic that it will be good.

llehuty

I'm guessing we will see another "Second Chances" type season in the future with another fan vote, given how well these results turned out.

I hope that next time they open a bit the options so we don't end up picking "the ones I hate less" for half of the ballot. I feel like they were really scared of the vote, so they just put a small bunch so it could give a somewhat balanced cast either way.

I could see them doing this vote thing for a more thematic season like Heroes vs Villains or Fans vs Favourites, but I really don't like when they mix veterans with newbies (It worked in Philipines, but I see that season as the exception)

Probst on the voting for S31:

I’m very pleased and pleasantly surprised by a few of their choices. From a balance point of view, we had a much higher percentage of recent seasons, so you have to expect more of them to make it—but I was very happy to see three people from Borneo and Australia, our first two seasons, make it in. Super cool. And no, we won’t ever reveal the total number of votes for each player, or the position of any player, or how close someone might have been to getting in. There is no point, and it would only hurt more feelings or crush someone to find out they were only a few votes shy of making it.

BunnyBear

Fixed.

Monica tweeted about football I think on the day the voting was revealed?

That's one of those stupidest conspiracy theories I've heard.

kirblar

I agree with the praise for the older cast in here. I've always appreciated that Survivor resisted (somewhat) the slide into casting 85%+ co-ed mactors, a decision that ruined BB and TAR for me.
BBB and Phillipines taught them a LOT about how that's not a good idea after they kept doing it for a long time.

BBB and Phillipines taught them a LOT about how that's not a good idea after they kept doing it for a long time.

One thing they've definitely been getting right lately is the casting. The Fans tribe on Caramoan aside, pretty much every new cast from the last 3 years has been great.

Yeah, but they have to wait until this time next year for the money.

Yeah, that was what I meant. 'Know' probably wasn't the best choice of words in my part there.

That's one of those stupidest conspiracy theories I've heard.

It definitely is, but I can't fathom someone accepting to be in and not even recognizing the concept or campaigning one bit.
bring out the tinfoil hats

Kintaco

Is there any chance that Survivor returns to Africa or similar location? All they have now is tropical locations, after seeing some of the old clips from Australia and Africa it made me feel like a change of scenary would be nice.

kirblar

Is there any chance that Survivor returns to Africa or similar location? All they have now is tropical locations, after seeing some of the old clips from Australia and Africa it made me feel like a change of scenary would be nice.
It's very unlikely w/ Africa- they ran into shipping problems in Gabon & general blah problems in Kenya.

Maengun1

I never got the hatred people have for Woo. Is it just that he took Tony to the end and lost instead of taking Kass and winning? People have made that mistake before, notably Colby way back in season 2, and never got the level of hate Woo gets. I feel like most of the people who got mad over that liked Tony more than Woo anyway, so shouldn't you be happy in that case?

I really liked Woo on his season, he's a really nice guy and I also think his personality is really fun and funny (as opposed to, say, Joe, who is nice but bland IMO). You need a couple wacky characters and a couple people who won't be obsessing over numbers and alliances non-stop. A few people who are mostly there to have an adventure over "game game game" or it gets exhausting. Same reason I like Keith as well.

Very bummed about Shane and Teresa not making it, but the cast is really surprisingly great otherwise. I share the suspicion that Shane failed the physical or the psych test or something, it just doesn't make sense otherwise. I was surprised Teresa didn't make it in the moment, but it makes sense really. Season 3 wasn't nearly as popular or remembered as the first 2 seasons among most people, and you already have Kelly/Kimmi/Jeff soaking up a lot of that nostalgia vote. The cast also is way older than average in general, there was just no way there would only be like 1 woman in her 20s.

She seemed really excited to get on again...I hope Jeff was serious when he said they would be considered again next time, but it might be too late for her then. :(

kirblar

Woo cannot possibly win the game. He's said he's going to do the exact same thing he did last time, which is a plan of attack that inevitably leads to his best possible placement being 2nd place. I'd rather the spot be taken by someone who's playing to win.

Grexeno

Woo cannot possibly win the game. He's said he's going to do the exact same thing he did last time, which is a plan of attack that inevitably leads to his best possible placement being 2nd place. I'd rather the spot be taken by someone who's playing to win.
Well to be fair, everything Shane said in the run up to the vote makes me think he wouldn't be much different from Woo strategy wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom