• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 31: Second Chance | PLAYER VOTING IS LIVE | Jeff Probst's Fantasy Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with Shane on Kass though, I can completely see her as being a neurotic crazy person with all the pre-season stuff with her knowing that she's going on. It makes her RHAP interview even funnier because she was talking so much about not having time and not having talked to anyone much.

I think she is a pretty likely first boot.

I think of all the more recent people, I think Vytas or Jeremy have the best shot to go farther. They both seem likeable and social and don't have the young stigma a lot of the more recent people are going to have.

I think Vytas will end up being this season's villain. There were hints of it back in his season, when he talked about being able to manipulate people, but I think if he lasts, it'll be because he ruthlessly backstabs a bunch of people.

The Kass thing seemed true. She has to know that she goes in with a humongous target on her back, so I can see her trying to line things up early. Even in her RHAP interview she tried to spin it, but she acknowledged there's a sort of stigma around her and her game from Cagayan.

BunnyBear

Don't forget that in his pregame interviews Shane was saying he was going to play it old school. I don't think he would have lasted long playing like that. Still, it would have been great to have him, even if only briefly.

He really took t hard though, along with Jim apparently. He was distraught. Have any of those who weren't picked spoken up much?

llehuty

I am with Shane on Kass though, I can completely see her as being a neurotic crazy person with all the pre-season stuff with her knowing that she's going on. It makes her RHAP interview even funnier because she was talking so much about not having time and not having talked to anyone much.

I'm taking everything she says as a lie by default. When the gimmick/cast was leaked, she was claiming she wasn't in because she was in the middle of a case or something. I mean, what's the point?

Ugh, I just want her to be the first boot. Pls survivor gods.

flyover

I'm hoping Shirin gets that honor.

I don't know that Shirin will make it far, but I don't think she's in any danger at the first tribal she attends. I think it would be tough for a bunch of returnees to immediately boot off someone who was bullied this season. They know that wouldn't go over well on TV. Second vote, fine, but not right away.

I'm hoping Shirin gets that honor.

If I was another player I don't think I'd be much worried about Shirin. She seemed to be pretty outspoken and emotions on the sleeve type of player. In a season full of sharks I think I'd want to keep around a player or two that you just knew what they were most likely doing most the time. Whether she's still annoying as hell or not though probably would change that.

Grexeno

If I was out there in Cambodia, I wouldn't vote out Shirin if at all possible. Easily the most logical Final 3 goat out there.

UberTag

I'd like to see every player given an immunity idol at the start of the game. As always idols can be played for yourself or another. Everyone knows that they each have an idol and they're told that there are no hidden idols.

Would produce a lot of blindsides and could potentially lead to some crazy shenanigans late in the game if heaps of idols are still in play.
Daaaaaamn, that would be so crazy. It also fits with the theme of the season (second chances).

Edit: Although, there should be a limitation. What if everyone plays their idol at the same time?
Time to revote. All idols have now been nullified as no votes remain.
Or draw rocks.
Wasted your idol? Too bad. So sad.
3AQmK.gif

Everyone getting an idol would make tribal and the reading of votes so damn stressfull. I bet you would almost never get more than maybe 3 votes on any one person. It would also make an extra vote pretty funny. Fuck it! Everyone's getting a vote tonight!

Grexeno

Also worth mentioning that Shane said last night that he heard rumors that it will go to 3 tribes after 2 vote-offs

I'd probably still watch a season with 18 idols because I'm a pathetic excuse for a person, but I wouldn't like it.

Survivor has already violated a number of the core premises of the show - a group of complete strangers, the finality of having one's torch snuffed, etc. - that I just sort of accept all the nonsense that accompanies the modern version of the show.

The next two seasons seem promising, but I've learned to not get too optimistic.

flyover

Everyone with an idol would probably be the final line for me. It wouldn't even be Survivor anymore.
For a season with all returnees (which is already "impure" Survivor as it is), I'd be totally fine with it, at least in theory. I think it would be interesting to see how it works out, and how play of the idols changed throughout the season.

kirblar

Yeah, I don't think vanilla Survivor would work with all returnees. It needs some new twists to create some waves.
HII is very, very good at doing that- creates paranoia and opportunities to exploit.

Worst case scenario is stuff like S22 happening, but those would suck anyway.

BowieZ

Banned
How about an anti-idol?

An idol you could use as a regular idol or you can use it to block someone elses idol.
I like it. But I feel like that would be over-powered in that if you can play it after someone else plays their idol, you *know* it's going to work. Perhaps anti-idols have to be played for someone in secret while voting, so you have to get it right.

they hand out clues like candy but in a shocking twist the clues just lead to food caches, which the discoverers can keep or share at will
JTSzOYu.gif

there's a reward challenge every week but in a shocking twist it isn't just food
JTSzOYu.gif

the challenges happen every few days as normal but in a shocking twist they bring back Touchy Subjects
JTSzOYu.gif

Tevious

Ever since they did the "special idol" in season 28, I've been wanting them to do idols that did different things. Even though that special immunity idol was completely broken that season (being able to use it after votes are read), it allowed Tony to lie about what it did. It'd be neat to keep people guessing about what idols do now. Just to toss out some ideas for hidden "special" idols:

- Extra vote at tribal counsel before votes are read (Dan's advantage)
- Prevent a hidden immunity idol from being played before votes are read at tribal counsel (anti-idol).
- Receive an advantage at a challenge.
- Make someone sit out a challenge. (Maybe reward only? Would it be too unfair to prevent someone from getting a shot at an immunity challenge?)
- Food reward: A person can choose to share it with their tribe or keep it for themselves.

a) no one was dumb enough to make alliances with a guy who wasnt getting on
b) that would have been bad for both

Weren't you the guy who kept insisting Max could get on and be a "spoiler" for our expectations? It would've been far more dumb to flat out refuse a potential alliance than to at least sit there and pretend or at least consider it just in case he did benefit from recency bias.

- Prevent a hidden immunity idol from being played before votes are read at tribal counsel (anti-idol).

I don't think production would ever want that. It could backfire and prevent an underdog from gaining traction.

kirblar

I didn't think he had a good chance, but given that JASE got onto Big Brother 7, I was not going to discount the possibility of recency bias getting Max/Carolyn on.

What I mean re Max is that although he might get on, you would not want to make anything solid with him, because of the high likelihood of it being a waste of time (and potentially exposing you to other social damage.) Hence his gigantic Rolodex with no actual deals made.

I didn't think he had a good chance, but given that JASE got onto Big Brother 7, I was not going to discount the possibility of recency bias getting Max/Carolyn on.

What I mean re Max is that although he might get on, you would not want to make anything solid with him, because of the high likelihood of it being a waste of time (and potentially exposing you to other social damage.) Hence his gigantic Rolodex with no actual deals made.

That's exactly why what you originally said didn't make sense. It would've been dumb not to consider at least making some sort of relationship, as quite a few clearly have. It would've been silly to ignore the people from 27-30 (minus Culpepper).

Obviously people like Mikayla were probably mostly ignored, but I'm sure a lot of these people tried to have their bases covered.

llehuty

I would like to have several idols hidden at the same time, but only one of them is a true one and can only be obtained with the clues (not an obvious hidding spot).

They need to bring back the "people playing fake hiden immunity idols" back somehow. I trust Joe making it work but not giving it, TO THE ONE THAT REALLY FOUND THE IDOL. That was the definition of bad luck.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I just watched the episode of Exile Island where he got voted out yesterday. Should finish the season today. Then on to China.

will it be your first time watching china?

I know there are some mixed feelings about it in the fanbase but it's honestly probably one of my 3 favorite seasons; virtually the entire pre-jury is made up of some fantastic characters.

Grexeno

I know there are some mixed feelings about it in the fanbase but it's honestly probably one of my 3 favorite seasons; virtually the entire pre-jury is made up of some fantastic characters.
I don't think there are mixed feelings about China at all. I'm pretty sure it's easily a must-see season for everyone

Yeah I agree most like it (at least now) but reactions toward Peih-Gee/Courtney/James/Denise and their edits can be severe and there was more grumbling than typical when it first aired. I got that sense, at least. There was also some controversy over the location, the challenges, the way the idols were handled, etc. at the time.

I love pretty much all of it, though. Easily best final three in terms of entertainment and variety and arguably the best challenges ever, along with one of best casts. Fantastic winner, too. I love China.

It's not exactly analogous but fans hated Panama/Exile Island when it aired and there's definitely been a more positive reassessment as people revisit it.

kirblar

Yeah I agree most like it (at least now) but reactions toward Peih-Gee/Courtney/James/Denise and their edits can be severe and there was more grumbling than typical when it first aired. I got that sense, at least. There was also some controversy over the location, the challenges, the way the idols were handled, etc. at the time.

I love pretty much all of it, though. Easily best final three in terms of entertainment and variety and arguably the best challenges ever, along with one of best casts. Fantastic winner, too. I love China.

It's not exactly analogous but fans hated Panama/Exile Island when it aired and there's definitely been a more positive reassessment as people revisit it.
Your opinion of S12 heavily depends on why you watch the show. It's like a better S30 in a lot of ways.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

No I've been watching since season 2. It will be my first time re-watching China though. I own everything 1-18 but I've been jumping around quite a bit. Between seasons 29 and 30 I re-watched Guatemala, Gabon, and half of Panama. Last summer I re-watched The Amazon, Pearl Islands, and Vanuatu.

Cool, I do the same thing in the offseason. I'm a mess. :(

I've never tried to rank my favorite seasons definitively, but I've seen Amazon at least 7 times and China at least 6, so those two might be at the top I guess.

I just finished Samoa today and like Tocantins and Redemption Island it doesn't get any less frustrating on rewatches. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom