• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 31: Second Chance | PLAYER VOTING IS LIVE | Jeff Probst's Fantasy Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
One of the worst seasons but one of my favorite winners.
I rewatched it recently and it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered or as others say, that said, just because how good most seasons generally are, it inevitably falls somewhere near the bottom of the pack.

It's a wild ride, with some excellent (and enjoyably cringeworthy) characters.

UberTag

Haven't been this stoked for a new season of Survivor in quite some time.
I just want Kass to survive the first episode.
And to then survive the first tribal council she attends.

That's all I ask for the early part of Season 31.
Bonus points if any of the following people go home early: Ciera, Shirin, Spencer, Woo, Vytas, Joe

Macka

I just really hope the 'non-threats' go early.

Too often in All Star seasons, the big players all try to take each other out as soon as they can, which allows the UTR players to slip by to the end unnoticed. I mean, look at who wins returning player seasons -
Amber, Parvati (who wasn't considered a threat in Micro), Sandra, Cochran and Tyson
. They're almost all physically small people who weren't known for being physical or strategic threats in their first season.
Tyson
is the line outlier there, but I'd argue that
his early injury
in BvW (coupled with the nature of the BvW twist and his partner being removed early) were integral to his success.

So I'd like to see people like Kelley, Shirin, Woo, Kimmi, Monica and Keith leave pre-merge. Also Joe, because he's super boring.

So I'd like to see people like Kelley, Shirin, Woo, Kimmi, Monica and Keith leave pre-merge. Also Joe, because he's super boring.

I (might be one of the few who still) like Shirin but I don't think she's anywhere near the others on your list in terms of win threat status. I think she would need to essentially change her entire being to be acceptable enough for 4+ jury members to write her name down.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I rewatched it recently and it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered or as others say, that said, just because how good most seasons generally are, it inevitably falls somewhere near the bottom of the pack.

It's a wild ride, with some excellent (and enjoyably cringeworthy) characters.

Maybe I'll have the same experience when I get to it again. I enjoyed Fiji a lot more upon a rewatch.

How do you guys rewatch the seasons?

buying the DVDs, CBS all access (it's actually really very good for the price if you want to marathon old seasons), random illegal/semi-legal internet video hosting sites, torrenting etc are all ways people get the content

or, in my case, old VHS recordings of the episodes for the seasons I don't have on DVD

You also have many seasons on Amazon Instant Video and Hulu. No reason to stream illegally with these digital options along with CBS All Access. Survivor is one of the few TV institutions I'll gladly pay to watch.

buying the DVDs, CBS all access (it's actually really very good for the price if you want to marathon old seasons), random illegal/semi-legal internet video hosting sites, torrenting etc are all ways people get the content

or, in my case, old VHS recordings of the episodes for the seasons I don't have on DVD

Ah. I didn't know that they were all released on DVD. I stopped seeing them in stores, or I just didn't notice.

I used to collect DVDs, too. I did have the first season on VHS, though.

You also have many seasons on Amazon Instant Video and Hulu. No reason to stream illegally with these digital options along with CBS All Access. Survivor is one of the few TV institutions I'll gladly pay to watch.

I don't know if any of those are available in Canada, though. CBS All Access is American, and the other two likely are as well.

I buy the DVD's. I have seasons 1-18 at the moment.

Ah, makes sense.

noshten

One World is horrible because literally no one realizes that Kim is going to win in a landslide, it's a similar situation to Redemption Island and I personally think Kim is more impressive because it's her first time out and she is able to turn a bunch of bad players into zombies.

I'm trying to rewatch recent seasons right now up to 25 atm

Dude...spoiler tags. Now I can't watch it. :(

Sorry didn't know that you haven't watched the season yet or knew what went down

One World is horrible because literally no one realizes that Kim is going to win in a landslide, it's a similar situation to Redemption Island and I personally think Kim is more impressive because it's her first time out and she is able to turn a bunch of bad players into zombies.

I'm trying to rewatch recent seasons right now up to 25 atm

Dude...spoiler tags. Now I can't watch it. :(

noshten

They are still pretty fun even when you know who wins.

I find this to be true with the exception of the earliest seasons I tried to rewatch those and found them terribly boring. Thailand is the first season that I enjoy from a strategic perspective and that's largely because
Brian
is one of the first strategic winners

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I find this to be true with the exception of the earliest seasons I tried to rewatch those and found them terribly boring. Thailand is the first season that I enjoy from a strategic perspective and that's largely because
Brian
is one of the first strategic winners

Thailand was a struggle to get through for me. That cast was just so grating. Also not a big fan of Borneo. I didn't start with it so it doesn't have much of a nostalgia factor for me like Australia/Africa.

Yeah Borneo can be tough if you're used to the framing of more contemporary seasons (even Australia was a pretty radical departure). It was absolutely thrilling when it first aired, but its documentary-style editing really doesn't fit the entertainment-uber-alles modern mold.

Still neat if you're a more contemporary fan interested in looking at the groundwork, but not really exciting.

And even though there's kind of a minor movement to reclaim Thailand as a genuinely enjoyable season the way some fans have done with Guatemala/Panama/etc. I just can't get on board. Some of the contestants were fun, but man that season is tough to get through -- and I've gone through it four times...

noshten

There's a subset of people that like seasons like RI, OW, Thailand.

Those people are crazy.

I enjoy those season far more than BvW2 for example. Thailand is the best because it was the first time one player dominated the game, while
Kim
and
Rob
pretty much emulated that achievement.

kirblar

I enjoy those season far more than BvW2 for example. Thailand is the best because it was the first time one player dominated the game, while
Kim
and
Rob
pretty much emulated that achievement.
Let me guess, you're a patriots/yankees fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom