• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 34: Game Changers |OT| We Have To Go Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

I assume that they wanted to keep the suspense, but we should have seen a bit more of the talk with them.
Yeah, the editing for tonight's episode can be justifiably questioned. We shouldn't be left wondering why the hell both Caleb and Malcolm would act against their own interests.

Yeah, the editing for tonight's episode can be justifiably questioned. We shouldn't be left wondering why the hell both Caleb and Malcolm would act against their own interests.

I'm assuming they voted with them because Michaela told them she wasn't flipping, and they wanted to avoid going down with the ship. We shouldn't have seen that laid out completely, because it would have removed the tension. But maybe a bit more of Caleb or Malcolm feeling sketchier on Tony.

I'm assuming they voted with them because Michaela told them she wasn't flipping, and they wanted to avoid going down with the ship. We shouldn't have seen that laid out completely, because it would have removed the tension. But maybe a bit more of Caleb or Malcolm feeling sketchier on Tony.

I think they only needed to show less of the Tony-Caleb alliance, but then again that was the Ciera's reasoning for wanting them out in the first half so I don't know if it'd help or hurt haha.

Leeness

The best part about that vote to me wasn't even that Sandra got Caleb and Malcolm to flip...but that she got TONY to flip lmao. Even Tony didn't vote against her. 😂 I was screaming when I realized that haha.

Sandra is endlessly amusing and I hope she pulls back a little bit now so she can continue as she usually does.

One thing I didn't get though was what was Sandra's plan with respect to the votes for Aubry. Like I get why she flipped Tony but why did she vote for Aubry? I assume it was some kind of insurance in case the vote didn't go her way, but what was two votes for Aubry going to do for Sandra? She even said it was basically a throw away.

flyover

And we saw none of that, except the final result.
I wish Survivor took a page from the Korean show, The Genius (which is great btw). Sometimes, for the sake of viewer suspense, that show will initially omit some critical scenes to keep us from knowing how the final outcome happened, but then it rewinds afterward and shows how it all came about.

I think it would be really cool if Survivor did something like that, even if only on their YouTube channel. Briefly show the critical conversation(s) that led to a vote.

UberTag

The best part about that vote to me wasn't even that Sandra got Caleb and Malcolm to flip...but that she got TONY to flip lmao. Even Tony didn't vote against her. �� I was screaming when I realized that haha.

Sandra is endlessly amusing and I hope she pulls back a little bit now so she can continue as she usually does.

One thing I didn't get though was what was Sandra's plan with respect to the votes for Aubry. Like I get why she flipped Tony but why did she vote for Aubry? I assume it was some kind of insurance in case the vote didn't go her way, but what was two votes for Aubry going to do for Sandra? She even said it was basically a throw away.
It was an insurance vote on the off chance that Tony had an idol, played it to protect himself and then voted against Sandra. Two insurance votes would have been preferable given the new tiebreaker rule but Sandra figured she had enough sway to influence a unanimous vote against Aubry to stave off a potential rock draw. Nabbing a 2nd vote might have portrayed her as greedy and self-interested, too... a stigma that stuck to David last season when his level of game influence became suspect. Nobody would begrudge Sandra for voting out of self-preservation, though.

It was a smart play. Hopefully the swap next week will put Sandra in a more comfortable position to either avoid tribal council or build a safety structure in a tribe with a dominant alpha male player like a JT or Ozzy.

Leeness

It was an insurance vote on the off chance that Tony had an idol, played it to protect himself and then voted against Sandra. Two insurance votes would have been preferable given the new tiebreaker rule but Sandra figured she had enough sway to influence a unanimous vote against Aubry to stave off a potential rock draw. Nabbing a 2nd vote might have portrayed her as greedy and self-interested, too... a stigma that stuck to David last season when his level of game influence became suspect. Nobody would begrudge Sandra for voting out of self-preservation, though.

It was a smart play. Hopefully the swap next week will put Sandra in a more comfortable position to either avoid tribal council or build a safety structure in a tribe with a dominant alpha male player like a JT or Ozzy.

Ahh okay, I see, thank you. I'm thrown off by the no revote and them having to rethink the split votes to flush an idol strategy that is suddenly out the window lol.

And yes, fingers crossed that the swap will allow her to sink back a bit.

Tony was a marked man, like Russell Hantz back on Redemption Island. EW did a video where they asked each returning player who they wanted out first. A good 2/3rd of them said Tony with no hesitation. So you gotta hand it to him at least a little bit for going out there in the first place.

Right now I'm rooting for Aubry, but I feel like she's seen as too much of a player (like Cirie and Ciera). And that seems to be the biggest target this season. Game Changer is actually a liability. Can't wait to see when the new tiebreak rules are finally invoked in an actual Tribal Council.

TheYanger

Well that vote made me fine with that entire tribe getting taken out.
Hilarious.

I could watch Tony every single season.

His own fault. Did he expect Sandra to just blow up what was going on WHILE TROYZAN WAS RIGHT THERE?
Like...let her tell her lie and approach her later. Then you know her loyalties.

Bubble

Neo Member
Sandra vs. Tony was so good! Mess with the best die like the rest.

I'll miss Tony though. His energy for this game is awesome, and I think if he ever returned for a third time, his target will be a lot smaller. Might do him some good.

Also, lol at Ciera being first boot. Good riddance to bad rubbish, that's all I got to say.

walei

Holy smokes I was shaking from being so nervous that GOAT Queen Sandra is out the first week but dang that sneaky editing.

Queen stays queen. I agree though she can tone it down a little but technically Tony started goading the tribe when he was getting his torch. Sad to see Tony go so soon... I was fist pumping when the greatest alliance was formed for that 30 seconds but, anyone but Sandra ESPECIALLY when she's in danger.

Favourite non Sandra-Tony moment: Varner laughing his ass off at Sandra-Tony moment.

Tony came in way too anxious. His confronting Sandra was just stupid and handled horribly. What was he possibly going to get from confronting them right there? That along with stuff like him standing around while everyone is sleeping and him running off to water every chance he got makes me think he came off super anxious and unsettling.

Dude should have smuggled in some Xanax for the first week of the game.

As a Sandra hater, she surprised me this first ep, but I kind of feel like getting rid of Tony was maybe bad for her, but we won't really be able to tell with a swap coming.

After the first episode I think I'm pulling for Malcolm oddly enough. He seems kind of ignored and lost in the game for the potential threat he is. I'd pencil him in for a deep run easily.

The result doesn't make sense unless you assume the vote was never close and the edit showed Tony as having a stronger position than he did for the sake of TV. Tony was the main name for most and they took a TC to get rid of Ciera but it was very easy to reach a consensus on his vote.

Malcolm did have that confessional where he said something along the lines of "Tony isn't my ideal ally, but..." And I'm guessing that was the best they could do. Tony's five was probably never a solid thing.

Ciera goes first because they wanted to try the keep the tribe strong thing and because she made it easy. Additionally, past Survivors have commented that she is an incredible liar and always working, and all these cast members are going to have that intel from their friends on past seasons. Easy first boot for a lot of people. Love her though.

Ozzy looks like he's had a rough few years.

Edit: I'm typically not a huge fan of returnee seasons, but these first two episodes had the good character stuff that make them worthwhile. Tai sticking his foot in his mouth first chance he gets, Debbie's monologue that is simultaneously crazy and well-reasoned, Varner with "I'm in heaven", Malcolm being Malcolm, Sierra only being visible for the smallest amount of time they could reasonably give her etc. I like this cast.

The result doesn't make sense unless you assume the vote was never close and the edit showed Tony as having a stronger position than he did for the sake of TV. Tony was the main name for most and they took a TC to get rid of Ciera but it was very easy to reach a consensus on his vote.

Malcolm did have that confessional where he said something along the lines of "Tony isn't my ideal ally, but..." And I'm guessing that was the best they could do. Tony's five was probably never a solid thing.

Ciera goes first because they wanted to try the keep the tribe strong thing and because she made it easy. Additionally, past Survivors have commented that she is an incredible liar and always working, and all these cast members are going to have that intel from their friends on past seasons. Easy first boot for a lot of people. Love her though.

Ozzy looks like he's had a rough few years.

Ozzy and JT collectively look like they spent the whole season saying "I'm too old for this shit.". They just don't look like they came into the season ready for it.

bill0527

I truly despise Sandra. I must have some kind of mental block that doesn't allow me to see what's so great about her. I hated her in the two seasons that she won and never thought she was a deserving winner. She's entertaining as hell to watch on TV, so I'll give her that. They're all idiots for voting Tony out before her. This is how she wins. She doesn't do shit in challenges and even less around camp so there's no reason to keep her early. The longer she goes the worse it is for everyone else. I guess creepy Tony who pops up from the bushes at 4am all bright and chipper, "Hey guys HOW YOU DOIN?" while people are trying to discuss strategy, was a little too much for them.

I truly despise Sandra. I must have some kind of mental block that doesn't allow me to see what's so great about her. I hated her in the two seasons that she won and never thought she was a deserving winner. She's entertaining as hell to watch on TV, so I'll give her that. They're all idiots for voting Tony out before her. This is how she wins. She doesn't do shit in challenges and even less around camp so there's no reason to keep her early. The longer she goes the worse it is for everyone else. I guess creepy Tony who pops up from the bushes at 4am all bright and chipper, "Hey guys HOW YOU DOIN?" while people are trying to discuss strategy, was a little too much for them.

I think it's a product of the tribe they had. If you look at the tribe the first two players to get voted out stand out completely against the rest. Ciera and Tony are both players that are looking for something to do at all times. They want the game to be big moves and moving constantly. Compared to the rest of the tribe they're all more the players that are coming into the game wanting to lay low and let the game go for a little before they really start playing. Sandra, Aubrey, Varner, Malcolm, they're all players that are more focused on those bonds and alliances than doing the big moves(even though they're selling Malcolm as the big moves guy it was his bonds that got him farthest in the game). I feel like the first two vote outs are in a big part due to the rest of the tribe not wanting those two to dictate the pace of the game.

I'm sure they all want Sandra out, but Sandra probably wasn't really trying to make anyone a target until Tony already started his shenanigans.

Kifimbo

I think Sarah is my dark horse so far. Nuku tribe got very little screen time, but she was involved, got confessional time, they pushed her past story (was voted out because she played like a cop) and set up her change in strategy (play like a bad guy instead).

Of course it probably means she's the next one to leave after the swap.

I think it's a product of the tribe they had. If you look at the tribe the first two players to get voted out stand out completely against the rest. Ciera and Tony are both players that are looking for something to do at all times. They want the game to be big moves and moving constantly. Compared to the rest of the tribe they're all more the players that are coming into the game wanting to lay low and let the game go for a little before they really start playing. Sandra, Aubrey, Varner, Malcolm, they're all players that are more focused on those bonds and alliances than doing the big moves(even though they're selling Malcolm as the big moves guy it was his bonds that got him farthest in the game). I feel like the first two vote outs are in a big part due to the rest of the tribe not wanting those two to dictate the pace of the game.

I'm sure they all want Sandra out, but Sandra probably wasn't really trying to make anyone a target until Tony already started his shenanigans.

Yeah, Tony and Ciera made it really easy for them. Sandra may ultimately slip by to the end, but those first few votes are always prone to just getting the easiest person out, especially when you start eitg two large tribes.

I assume that Varner not getting out means he's calmed down a bit. Plus he knows and most of them know that a swap or breakdown to three tribes us likely at 18, so you don't want to have issues with anybody just in case you get swapped in a bad spot.

(Another reason to get rid on Tony: it's more likely he's not in your tribe if you swap to three tribes, so that's one less potential strong competitor in challenges.)

Malcolm's always been an interesting person to discuss. The way the show pushes him and how fans discuss him is at odds. He's portrayed a lot as this Ozzy or Joe style comp beast, but he hasn't been that in any of seasons. He's certainly an overall great challenge player, but there are plenty of things he's not good at and he can't assume he's going to be the challenge favorite every round like those two can. He's far more strategic and social than those two and he has to be.

jett

D-Member
The two hardest players got booted off, these people don't want to deal with any bullshit.

This season is off to a good start.

Malcolm's always been an interesting person to discuss. The way the show pushes him and how fans discuss him is at odds. He's portrayed a lot as this Ozzy or Joe style comp beast, but he hasn't been that in any of seasons. He's certainly an overall great challenge player, but there are plenty of things he's not good at and he can't assume he's going to be the challenge favorite every round like those two can. He's far more strategic and social than those two and he has to be.

I consider Malcolm and Hayden from Blood vs Water(and more Big Brother) to be near identical style players. Both seem like comp threats but their player status more comes from their character and likeability. I think you put either of them in any season they would make a pretty deep run 9/10 times just because of their personality and perceived challenge strength. They are easy to talk to and get along with and charming to make those bonds with the other players and they have enough challenge strength to get them to the merge. The show just tries to push him a little too much.

Jigorath

Banned
Sandra's getting kind of annoying to be honest. "I'm queen I'm queen I'm queen I'm queen I'm queen", like alright? Sandra with an ego is not the Sandra I like.

Sucks to see Tony go so early, but it's not surprising. He played too quickly again after Cagayan. His reputation is just too big.

I guess I'll root for Cirie now.

Sandra's thing seems like something she said 8 times overall hoping they'd put the soundbite once or twice and then they just put them all in. (Same for the "Adios") Over the course of 6 days it was probably not nearly as bad, which is why the players don't seem to mind, but over the course of two hours? Yikes. It's a bit of a negative on what I otherwise thought was an all-time performance from her.

That was a solid premiere-- I'm intrigued by the possibilities of some very strange bedfellows this season!

And I was thrilled to see my most hated cast members of the season go one after the next. Bonus!

I wasn't feeling like half of the cast when it was announced but then literally 5minutes in 90% of the people I didn't initially respond to came flashing back to me.

Tony was actually one of them and he was actually one of my favorites.
Sarah also, heard her say "cop" and instantly vividly rememberd lol.

Season is off to a great start despite one of my favorites already out,
guess im pulling for JT atm.

I'm not sure how much it would have mattered, but Tony had Trish to clean up his messes in Cagayan. Returnees aren't going to do that for him. Much easier to let him keep digging.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I never was a Sandra fan either.

But I respect what she pulled off.

I think she may actually be playing this right. Like, if she tried to lay low, I wonder if that would almost seem more threatening to people.

She comes in as a big two-timer winner, if she's laying low she appears sneaky / weak / susceptible. Instead she's playing bravado and trying to instill fear into anyone who would cross her.

Either it's a brilliant strategy that will allow her to play despite the target, or she'll be gone super fast.

I am fucking gutted right now. Tony gone in the 2nd boot. Just kill me.

I was so stoked for another season of Tony shenanigans, I knew him winning again was basically impossible but I just kept begging for him to at least make the merge. God DAMN IT!

Why oh why did you have to confront Sandra, Tony? You two needed each other, you had a great thing going and then you choked. Arrrghhhh.

Can't believe all the guys flipped on Tony. I was shellshocked. It seemed like Sandra's demise was certain.

I think she may actually be playing this right. Like, if she tried to lay low, I wonder if that would almost seem more threatening to people.

She comes in as a big two-timer winner, if she's laying low she appears sneaky / weak / susceptible. Instead she's playing bravado and trying to instill fear into anyone who would cross her.

Either it's a brilliant strategy that will allow her to play despite the target, or she'll be gone super fast.

Yeah, pretty much. It was kind of jarring for me to see at first, but I think she probably figured that she couldn't just completely lay low this time. People would have been potentially more worried about that.

I expect her to probably lay back as much as she can, but I think she also realizes that she's going to have a bigger target this time no matter what, so sometimes she'll need to act like she did in the premier.

Grexeno

Yeah, pretty much. It was kind of jarring for me to see at first, but I think she probably figured that she couldn't just completely lay low this time. People would have been potentially more worried about that.

I expect her to probably lay back as much as she can, but I think she also realizes that she's going to have a bigger target this time no matter what, so sometimes she'll need to act like she did in the premier.
Yeah, she certainly can't play the exact same game. Before Heroes vs. Villians, Sandra wasn't exactly considered a legend of the game. She was just the person who won Pearl Islands. Winning a second time means that this time around, just pure "anyone but me" isn't going to work.

Jigorath

Banned
I am fucking gutted right now. Tony gone in the 2nd boot. Just kill me.

I was so stoked for another season of Tony shenanigans, I knew him winning again was basically impossible but I just kept begging for him to at least make the merge. God DAMN IT!

Why oh why did you have to confront Sandra, Tony? You two needed each other, you had a great thing going and then you choked. Arrrghhhh.

Can't believe all the guys flipped on Tony. I was shellshocked. It seemed like Sandra's demise was certain.

You gotta go read/watch some of the pregame interviews with the castaways to see just how scared everyone was of him. It's like Rob Cesternino in All-Stars. He was never going to last as far as the merge barring an endless stream of immunity idols. It's a miracle he survived even a single tribal council.

Great start to the season, but I'm devastated like everyone else about Tony going out so early. As soon as he ran into the jungle I knew he time in the game was numbered.

I didn't have Tony on my fantasy roster but I did have Ciera, and I was actively playing her so that kinda sucked. I knew I should have put Hali, Debbie, or Andrea in her place. I'll be real, there was no way I would have picked Sierra. Although maybe I should have. She's in an okay position so far.

Great start to the season, but I'm devastated like everyone else about Tony going out so early. As soon as he ran into the jungle I knew he time in the game was numbered.

I didn't have Tony on my fantasy roster but I did have Ciera, and I was actively playing her so that kinda sucked. I knew I should have put Hali, Debbie, or Andrea in her place. I'll be real, there was no way I would have picked Sierra. Although maybe I should have. She's in an okay position so far.

I was actually thinking at first Tony running into the woods had almost an endearing effect on the tribe. Almost like lightening the mood or something. Everyone is scared of Tony, everyone expects him to be hunting for idols and he immediately runs away screaming about going for it? That's kind of funny. I don't think it really helped him any, but I can't see that it really hurt him much because everyone already came into the game expecting him to do exactly that. He just laughed about it and went with it.

Based on WA, Sierra could make a deep run on nearly every season. She's fit enough that she'll be likely to survive early tribe disaster but not crazy good at challenges to be a threat. She's loyal. And she doesn't make waves. At all. Even when presented with the opportunity over and over. She might not ever be capable of winning, but if she doesn't at least make top 8, I'd be surprised.

Based on WA, Sierra could make a deep run on nearly every season. She's fit enough that she'll be likely to survive early tribe disaster but not crazy good at challenges to be a threat. She's loyal. And she doesn't make waves. At all. Even when presented with the opportunity over and over. She might not ever be capable of winning, but if she doesn't at least make top 8, I'd be surprised.

Yeah she's only going home if she allies with a threat and the stronger alliance is worried about an idol. She's not worth taking out otherwise.

Grexeno

I was actually thinking at first Tony running into the woods had almost an endearing effect on the tribe. Almost like lightening the mood or something. Everyone is scared of Tony, everyone expects him to be hunting for idols and he immediately runs away screaming about going for it? That's kind of funny. I don't think it really helped him any, but I can't see that it really hurt him much because everyone already came into the game expecting him to do exactly that. He just laughed about it and went with it.
His fatal mistake was not brushing off Sandra's obvious lie and just asking about it later.

His fatal mistake was not brushing off Sandra's obvious lie and just asking about it later.

One hundred percent. Everyone can be talked into keeping around a huge target that acts kind of crazy, but as soon as he's also going to act all paranoid and hound people over what they're talking about he was screwed.

I also kind of got the impression that Troyzan's standoffishness through him off a bit. Both that confrontation and Tony trying to talk to him at the water well made it seem like Tony had no clue how to talk to him and I think that made him a little more paranoid when it's him that Sandra is talking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom