• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Pizza Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had pizzas all over the world, from Rome to Laos via the UK and Tunisia. No other country in the world make pizzas quite like here in Sweden and I can without doubt say that i enjoy my native pizza more than any other. The Swedish pizza has gotten a lot of negative press on the internet, many claiming it to be weird or disgusting, based on reports of odd topic combinations. For example. However, the unique concept that is Swedish pizza is seldom understood.

993572_520_292.jpg

So what makes it unique? There two things that differentiates a Swedish pizza from others. Before I come to that; a little history. The pizza arrived in Sweden during the 60's and the people who worked in the newly opened pizzerias reflected the nationality of the Swedish immigrants of the time. No one in Sweden could see the difference between someone from Italy and someone from Turkey or Yugoslavia. Therefor working in, or starting a pizzera, was an easy way to get a job for Swedens immigrants. Particulary the Balkan and Arabic food culture have formed the Swedish pizza. What does that mean for the final product?

First of all the dough, or bread. The crust of a Swedish pizza is really thin, but that is not all of the magic. Unlike for example a Neapel style pizza, the Swedish pizza is slightly crispy on the oustide but has an elastic quality with an almost juicy texture wich gives just right feeling while taking a bite. This is reminiscent of traditional Balkan and arabic bread wich is achived by cold fermentation with small amounts of jeast during a long time, wich also developes deep flavours in the bread. It is then cooked in a really hot stone oven ( altough not as hot as a neapal-one). Making it the ultimate pizza-crust, both in terms of flavour and texture.

8747793-8747832.jpg

Secondly we have the cheese. I think Sweden has the best hard cheese in the world, tangy with and almost nutty flavour, and we do not put mozzarella on our pizzas. Mozzarella is a boring, tasteless cheese that in my opinion has nothing to do on a pizza. A good pizza-cheese need to have a higher amount of fat and have alot more character than mozzarella. Therefor the cream-based Swedish hard cheese is ideal.

vaesterbottenost.jpg

There are no pizza-chains in Sweden. Sure we have Pizza-hut in a few locations, but no one ever goes there, except maybe foreign turists. Every neighborhood has it's own Pizzeria that is at least in some way unique. From my house I have five different Pizzerias within walking distance, four of them make excellent pizza. A pizza is also very cheap, wich eliminates the need to share a Pizza, allowing everyone to get exactly what they want on theirs; wich leads us to the toppings.

It is here that the controversy lies. Sure you can get some really weird combinations on a Swedish pizza. But that is mostly the "special pizzas", where every local pizzeria goes crazy with "creativity". Some order and like them, some don't. The most common pizzas are pretty standard with things like ham, mushrooms, onions, olives and so on. With one exception: The Kebab pizza, the most popular and most famous. It is basically a Pizza with so called kebab meat, I.E Shawarma meat, wich is a spicy shredded meat grilled on a stick like this. It is topped with onions and a sauce based on mayoneise, garlic, chili and various herbs. Sometimes it is also topped with sallad, adding a certain freshness to it all. This is also a product of our arabic food heritage.

The Kebab pizza is great, but not my personal favourite. I usually order a quite plain pizza because I think the great pizza-flavour disappears when you put too many toppings on it. Sometimes i top it of myself with the complementary "pizza salad" served with every Swedish pizza. It is basically shredded cole in vinegare, oil garlic, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. It is excellent and goes very well with pizza. This is yet again a product of the Balkan-roots of Swedish Pizza.

pizzasallad_%C3%A4ttika.jpg

Cheers, to the greatest, and most misunderstood, Pizza-culture in the world!

moniker

I think pizzerias who put Västerbottenost on their pizzas are very rare :)

But you're right, there are so many excellent pizzerias in Sweden. To bad I've given up wheat so I don't eat stuff like that anymore.

KAOz

Short bus special
The Swedish kebab pizza is on of the greatest inventions ever. Such godly food.

Fun fact: Evilore didn't like the kebabpizza.

But to be fair, we had it at a place where I had never eaten before and it tasted like, nothing. I didn't really like it either.

The other pizza we had was much better.

But otherwise, kebabpizza is the food of Gods if you have it at a good place.

54-46!

Well, it really doesn't matter if you've eaten a pizza in every single country when your taste buds are used to eating Swedish pizza every week or so, it will "taste better" because you're used to it.

n0n44m

I don't really get what's Swedish about it, considering you can get pretty much everything in the OP at a Dutch "grillroom" as well. It seems more of a Turkish/Balkan/Middle-East immigrant in Western-Europe thing to me :p

does the dough also contain milk and eggs ? The cold fermentation and deep, brick lined electrical ovens seem the same...

and yeah Döner (kebab) pizza is pretty awesome (even more with garlic sauce all over it), but in my experience you have to eat it straight away ... it is usually no good when delivered, as the meat dries out quickly in the box

also you are terribly terribly wrong about Mozzarella, or just never experienced the joys of some true artisan made Mozzarella di Bufala ;)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... been to Sweden almost every year of my life yet I don't think I've ever had a pizza there. Then again I doubt it can compare to my grandmother's home cooking.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I don't really get what's Swedish about it, considering you can get pretty much everything in the OP at a Dutch "grillroom" as well. It seems more of a Turkish/Balkan/Middle-East immigrant in Western-Europe thing to me :p

Sweden is just trying to steal the glory.

Well, it really doesn't matter if you've eaten a pizza in every single country when your taste buds are used to eating Swedish pizza every week or so, it will "taste better" because you're used to it.

So because I live in Sweden there's no way I can think that the French cuisine is the best in the world? Or that the Vietnam has the best asian food? Great food is universal and has little to do with "what you are used to".

Log4Girlz

Never been to sweden, in fact I've never left the US. Pizza is really, really hard to fuck up at a non-chain restaurant. Takes a special shitty skill to do that.

Nander

You forgot to say the best thing OP.

SHREDDED COLE IS FREE IN MOST RESTAURANTS, AGURGAURGUARGUAG.

It's cabbage in English... "Cole" is some hilarious Swenglish :p

EDIT: I realized that you probably got it from "cole" being used in "cole slaw". I still don't think it's correct, though.

also you are terribly terribly wrong about Mozzarella, or just never experienced the joys of some true artisan made Mozzarella di Bufala ;)

I have nothing against mozzarella, for example served cold with tomatoes, basil and vinegar, but i stand by that it is not an ideal cheese for pizza.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yes some Swedish Pizza is good...not all and mozzarella is not tasteless...when my wife runs in the Tjejmilen...we go to a pizza place next to our hotel...Kebab Pizza to undo all of her weeks/months of training!

I have nothing against mozzarella, for example served cold with tomatoes, basil and vinegar, but i stand by that it is not an ideal cheese for pizza.

Hmm...some pizza places don't actually put mozzarella on their pizza's...it's some weird fake cheese.

When you have had real mozzarella on a pizza you'll know...

Kenka

It's cabbage in English... "Cole" is some hilarious Swenglish :p

EDIT: I realized that you probably got it from "cole" being used in "cole slaw". I still don't think it's correct, though.
Thanks to bring my attention to it, sounded right to me because of the word Kohl in German. Cabbage is the correct word indeed.

Nander

Yes some Swedish Pizza is good...not all and mozzarella is not tasteless...when my wife runs in the Tjejmilen...we go to a pizza place next to our hotel...Kebab Pizza to undo all of her weeks/months of training!

Where is that? Because I live close to the start of Tjejmilen and there's definitely a decisive lack of quality kebab pizza places on Östermalm. Hell, I don't know of any good places north of Södermalm in Stockholm.

n0n44m

2013-01-2620.02.36xbu6z.jpg

this'll make you change your mind once you taste it

but that quality buffalo mozz costs €4 for the same amount that would cost €1 in the supermarket ... but then again the latter might as well be white rubber latex compared to the former

also I agree there's plenty of other cheese that is fine on pizza as well obviously ... Gruyère and Grana Padano for instance. What's the name of that Swedish cheese ?

Raika

Yep, kebabs are awesome, why the controversy? But I disagree with your mozzarella point. Mozzarella is essential on a pizza, ESSENTIAL.

Hixx

We've had kebab pizzas in the UK for as long as I can remember. Bit Garlic sauce over the top, lovely.

And some even with chips baked into the pizza too. Which sounds nasty but tastes oddly brilliant.

Gawge

Donner pizzas are pretty common in the UK, and it isn't rare to see bizarre combinations (most takeaways have 'a bit of everything' option).

I imagine, as with most places, different Pizza places make very different pizzas. I suppose the average place in the UK would have standard pizzas which are quite doughy, but there are loads of different places with really thin crusts, different techniques and tastes. You just have to find a place that suits you.

So Swedish pizza is a watered down Turkish pizza made to look like a Napoli pizza...

Enjoy, I guess. Looks like something has gone horribly wrong to me though...

I have had pizza all over the world as well and have to agree, nothing beats a swedish pizza.

I used to live down in italy and not even them could do it right.

Morphis

SNIP

Secondly we have the cheese. I think Sweden has the best hard cheese in the world, tangy with and almost nutty flavour, and we do not put mozzarella on our pizzas. Mozzarella is a boring, tasteless cheese that in my opinion has nothing to do on a pizza.
SNIP
I used to think like this about mozzarella. Then I had good mozzarella. Try it.

Edit: Also on a pizza btw.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Where is that? Because I live close to the start of Tjejmilen and there's definitely a decisive lack of quality kebab pizza places on Östermalm. Hell, I don't know of any good places north of Södermalm in Stockholm.

We eat at a place I believe called Birkastan...

but that quality buffalo mozz costs €4 for the same amount that would cost €1 in the supermarket ... but then again the latter might as well be white rubber latex compared to the former

also I agree there's plenty of other cheese that is fine on pizza as well obviously ... Gruyère and Grana Padano for instance. What's the name of that Swedish cheese ?

To mozzarella-defence force in this thread: I've had quality pizza with good mozzarella in Italy (and other places) several times, I simply don't think it's as good as pizza with hard creamy cheese. Neapel style pizza with mozzarella is like a whole other dish than "Swedish pizza" and i prefer the latter. Real Italian pizza looks wonderful but doesn't taste all that great.

Concerning what kind of cheese; it's similar to the dutch cheeses like emmental or gouda, lika a mix of the two. I would not put grana padano on a pizza, it is a wonderful cheese, especially real parmesan, but far too dry for pizza.

leadbelly

Banned
Hold on... Going to make a UK pizza appreciation thread. :p

Lets make one for every country represented on GAF. Fill the front page with Pizza threads.

not really..

antipod

Agree with most things said in the OP. :)

But I think I prefer a gyros pizza instead of a kebab one. Or, a 50/50 one. The gyros sauce is usually much better.

Back home in Norrköping almost every pizzeria have both kebab and gyros but almost everywhere else I've been here in Sweden they usually just only have one of them and call it kebab nevertheless. Been studying in Karlshamn, had an ex in Malmö and now live outside Stockholm and it's still a bit hard to have a gyros pizza. Might have been lots of greek immigrants in Norrköping back in the days I guess.

The cheese in the OP is Västerbotten, named after the county in northern Sweden and generally considered the finest mainstream cheese. It's only made in a single place and is extremely tasty. I use it all the time for grilled sandwiches and such, but it's too expensive to make pizza with it.

If you do, it's legendary though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom