• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swedish Pizza Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilltias

The cheese in the OP is Västerbotten, named after the county in northern Sweden and generally considered the finest mainstream cheese. It's only made in a single place and is extremely tasty. I use it all the time for grilled sandwiches and such, but it's too expensive to make pizza with it.

If you do, it's legendary though.

Västerbottenost (cheese) is amazing. Put it on a pizza and consequences will never again be the same.

I had this a while ago:
htZKE.jpg

Awesome stuff, and anyone who says anything different has clearly not tasted it.

strafer

I honestly can't tell if your reactions are positive or negative :p

Fries on pizza is really common where I live, but I've heard it's non-existent (or at least not as common) in other places. It's delicious on kebab pizza, I can really recommend it.

It's all positive baby. <.<

I'm sorry but i find Swedish pizza rather underwhelming. I've eaten plenty of pizza over there from different places. Some were ok at best. But mostly the pizzas were either soggy, undercooked or a bit bland and tasteless (like many regular foods in Sweden). Kebab pizza is a concept that i can live with. The problem: it's really hard to find good quality kebab meat in Sweden.

Knugen

Fries on pizza is really common where I live, but I've heard it's non-existent (or at least not as common) in other places. It's delicious on kebab pizza, I can really recommend it.
It'a pretty common in Scania(though I don't know where you're from).

Paertan

Swärje! Represent :p

But yeah I really love our Pizza. Best Kebab-Pizza I have ever tasted is here in Jönköping where I now live. Everytime friends from other cities visit me we always eat Kebab Pizza because they all agree it is the best. So if you are ever in Jönköpin. Check out restaurants Prima or Alcamo.

My favorite Pizza is American Pizza made in Sundsvall by Bite Line

It'a pretty common in Scania(though I don't know where you're from).

Currently in Linköping, but it's not as common here as in Mariestad, my hometown. I know of some girls that was on visit from Gothenburg that had never heard of it before, and found the idea appalling.

I think swedish pizza is godly but 'pommes' on pizza is just vile.

Lies!

EDIT: If you're ever in Mariestad, go visit pizzeria Viking. They have the best pizzas I've ever eaten. One of them (I think it's called 'Per') is a pizza with ham, kebab, fries, kebab sauce and a salad on top with lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes. It sounds weird, but it's really amazing. You also get full on half a pizza, so it's perfect for sharing with a friend.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hold on... Going to make a UK pizza appreciation thread. :p
I appreciate all the leaflets I get through my door.

I don't think I've ever had take away pizza, I'm cheap and just buy it from the supermarket. BOGOF Pizza Expresses.

Got to the mozzarella line, that is where I stopped reading because the OP lost all credibility. It could be argued that because of that line the OPer has no soul and may not even be human. IMHO most likely a Swedish robot.

andycapps

The pictures you posted looked pretty good actually. It definitely looks different than what I've had before, but it's hard to fuck up a pizza. Unless it's a chain place, and that's just by default.

Rad-

That's not really swedish pizza though, is it? Isn't that sort of pizza pretty much everywhere in northern Europe? At least Finland has it too.

rezuth

We eat at a place I believe called Birkastan...

Fucking love that place, shame its so fucking small though. Almost impossible to eat there friday-saturday around dinner time. Also its hard to sit across each other with the giant pizzas.

Arcipello

i remember liking the tropical pizza... cant remember the exact name but certainly remember that it had banana as a topping!

nickcv

Mozzarella is a boring, tasteless cheese that in my opinion has nothing to do on a pizza. A good pizza-cheese need to have a higher amount of fat and have alot more character than mozzarella. Therefor the cream-based Swedish hard cheese is ideal.

you completely misunderstand why we use mozzarella on the pizza.
In every single pizza with mozzarella the cheese is not supposed to be the hero, it's just supposed to enhance the taste of the other ingredients.

Putting too much cheese or a too strong cheese might just suffocates all the other flavors.

Is it wrong to put other kind of cheese on your pizza? absolutely not, there are many classical pizza recipes that use different kind of cheese with a much more robust flavor (ie: 4 formaggi, gorgonzola e noci, provola e salsiccia, etc...), but just like many other things there's not a "one size fits all" solution, depends what kind of flavor you want.

4 formaggi
MyVM0Hq.jpg

gorgonzola e noci
gpljTil.jpg

provola e salsiccia
YJXq1Sq.jpg

Mozzarella is the wing man many other ingredients need, and that's about it.

Aselith

Fun fact: Evilore didn't like the kebabpizza.

But to be fair, we had it at a place where I had never eaten before and it tasted like, nothing. I didn't really like it either.

The other pizza we had was much better.

But otherwise, kebabpizza is the food of Gods if you have it at a good place.

Why would you take someone to a place you've never eaten to try to introduce them to food you like? Take them to the best place you have already been. Experiment on your own time!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hell yes! I've eaten pizza in quite a few countries, but none compare to what I can get right here in Svea Rike.

To mozzarella-defence force in this thread: I've had quality pizza with good mozzarella in Italy (and other places) several times, I simply don't think it's as good as pizza with hard creamy cheese. Neapel style pizza with mozzarella is like a whole other dish than "Swedish pizza" and i prefer the latter. Real Italian pizza looks wonderful but doesn't taste all that great.

Concerning what kind of cheese; it's similar to the dutch cheeses like emmental or gouda, lika a mix of the two. I would not put grana padano on a pizza, it is a wonderful cheese, especially real parmesan, but far too dry for pizza.
Your taste buds are broken. Don't embarrass yourself any further.

Cdammen

Béarnaise sauce and beef tenderloin is where it's at. Shit is so tasty.

I also like the regular cheese pizzas. I have a place right around my apartment that has a wood fired (?) oven. Even the most plain pizza taste fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom