• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch handheld mode Grip/Case

RRockman

Banned
It makes me think of a bigger vita...

giphy.gif

Hyperbole! It really isn’t. Played for 3 hours on a train comfortably.

Well, to be fair, for him, it might be. We just have to learn that when someone says something like that, to him it is unplayable. We don't always need to jump on posts, because they don't say "imo" or something like that. I'm still trying to learn this myself.

I find portable mode uncomfortable, doesn't take long. But I love playing it in portable because the screen is awesome and being able to play anywhere is great. When I have to do something difficult in game, like fight a lynel in Zelda, I have to dock it or play in tabletop because I find it impossible in portable.

I think I need a grip case. So what's the best one, the one op linked? I keep seeing this Mumba case on Amazon too.

Wallach

Mine just came in today.

Pretty good actually. Seems like a decent material, ergonomics are a big improvement. Not stupid looking, and fits nice and snug.

Not concerned about the dock thing either since I installed the dock extender cable, and the case actually gives the Switch a solid resting position (with the material making it even less likely it will move on a surface).

For the price I'd definitely say recommended. Just solve the docking thing because I wouldn't want to take this on and off to dock the normal way.

Edit - Also it came with 3 sets of analog stick thumb cover things, and I actually think they feel nice. I've never used these kind of things before, but with the JoyCon's pretty bad feeling analog sticks, they seem like a slight improvement.

Mine just came in today.

Pretty good actually. Seems like a decent material, ergonomics are a big improvement. Not stupid looking, and fits nice and snug.

Not concerned about the dock thing either since I installed the dock extender cable, and the case actually gives the Switch a solid resting position (with the material making it even less likely it will move on a surface).

For the price I'd definitely say recommended. Just solve the docking thing because I wouldn't want to take this on and off to dock the normal way.

Edit - Also it came with 3 sets of analog stick thumb cover things, and I actually think they feel nice. I've never used these kind of things before, but with the JoyCon's pretty bad feeling analog sticks, they seem like a slight improvement.

Awesome. I'm glad I'm not alone in liking the product. The pictures online don't do it justice, at least not with the gray joy-con. It almost looks like it's a part of the actual system.

If anyone cares, the easiest way to remove it is by pulling the top side back, over the shoulder buttons. Takes me about 5 seconds. Putting it back on takes about the same amount of time. But again, this case is only recommended if you truly play mostly in handheld mode, imo.

Side note, another cool aspect about the case I recommended is that when it's flat on a surface, the air intake areas aren't covered, and actually higher. That's a good thing.

Wallach

Just to add to my little review there slightly, I played my Switch in portable mode last night from full charge to low battery warning in one go, and had no discomfort at all. Pretty big difference compared to stock where my hands would start to hurt after about 30 minutes, and I’d wind up docking or just doing something else.

The_Lump

Banned
My only issue in handheld mode is the triggers being too small/close together for games where you need to use all four shoulder buttons often. Tried playing FIFA and near enough crippled my hands within minutes. Doesn't look like these things would help with that particular problem.

Really can't wait for some third party joycons which replicate full-sized controller ergonomics.

jfoul

Some nice recommendations. I like th grip case, but that price is pretty high.

Any recommendations for a ps vita / OLED grip?

It's a Hori Face Cover. Got one for my 2000 two years ago (by my reddit post) and only take it out for cleaning (and to feel how thin the Vita 2000 is). I've seem people complain about the hinges failing but mine's still good.
Dang that looks good!

Shoot I have a Vita 1000 though. I don't see any version for that. I guess the only time the 1000 face cover was made was for Persona 4 Golden's CE. Except that one is 100 dollars for the used ones!

I won't give up though. I really like your face plate so I'll keep looking for a 1000 version.

Karish

Hey did you get this one in yet? Let us know how it is.

I got the one OP did, and I do like it MUCH better than without. I find the material slightly slippery though.
Got it. Really like. I think it's same mold but different material. Not slippery at all

Got it. Really like. I think it's same mold but different material. Not slippery at all

The grips seem to have a grippy texture from the pics, right? I ordered it. I like the clear on the OP recommended but it's slightly slippery and I don't think the grips are wide enough. This one has wider grips.

Karish

The grips seem to have a grippy texture from the pics, right? I ordered it. I like the clear on the OP recommended but it's slightly slippery and I don't think the grips are wide enough. This one has wider grips.

Yea, kind of a matte feel. I also want to point out that unless I'm crazy, it makes the kickstand work way more stable.

Yea, kind of a matte feel. I also want to point out that unless I'm crazy, it makes the kickstand work way more stable.

I agree with the kickstand comment. It's like the grip hugs the stand and make it more stable.

I'm happy that some of you tried a grip, whether or not it was the one I suggested. I just want my fellow Switch owners to be as comfortable as possible.

So I went ahead and pledge to the GripCase Indiegogo. Its pricey, but it looks like exactly what I've been looking for.

Here's hoping its not delayed too long and ships before Xmas.

HF2014

I've been using the grey version of these for a few months, can highly recommend;

71jdBklY96L._AC_SX430_.jpg

You can't see it in the picture but they have a rubber bulk at the back that gives more grip room for the hands, and since it only covers the joycon it doesn't block the dock so you never need to take them off.

Just ordered those. Cant wait to receive it. Freakin hard to find now. Best Buy, Walmart, EB , Toys R Us were all sold out in Canada, some were only having the other model ( armour guard, which seem to dont have great reviews ). Iv order it from a seller at amazon.ca, cant wait to receive it.

If you guys want it and have no difficulty with Nintendo Store and their shipping ( reason i didnt order from Nintendo is because they ship with Purolator, and if im not there, they will ship the package to Purolator store which is very far from me...), they have it in stock at 9.99$ cnd, plus shipping.

When i will receive it ill give my impression, but im sure il like them.

ASaiyan

Banned
Just wanna update this thread to say that my case finally arrived (ordered the one in the OP) and my hands absolutely love it. It's a bit tight to take on and off, and it sucks that it can't dock with the case on, but otherwise I have no complaints so far. Any of the cases posted here that have added bulk in the bottom back should be an absolute godsend for people with large hands, lol.

Karish

Just wanna update this thread to say that my case finally arrived (ordered the one in the OP) and my hands absolutely love it. It's a bit tight to take on and off, and it sucks that it can't dock with the case on, but otherwise I have no complaints so far. Any of the cases posted here that have added bulk in the bottom back should be an absolute godsend for people with large hands, lol.

Get this to use dock while keeping case on: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LWBYDV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HF2014

Ok. Receive my joy con gel guards by pdp. The grip are not bad, it feel way more confortable. BUT, the minus button is a pain to reach. Not useful when playing Zelda. Im honestly not sure its a keeper, it just constantly annoy me when i want to see the map, having hard time pressing it.

Cant positively recommand it. Im thinking about getting a full behind grip case if i can find one that seem good.

Ok. Receive my joy con gel guards by pdp. The grip are not bad, it feel way more confortable. BUT, the minus button is a pain to reach. Not useful when playing Zelda. Im honestly not sure its a keeper, it just constantly annoy me when i want to see the map, having hard time pressing it.

Cant positively recommand it. Im thinking about getting a full behind grip case if i can find one that seem good.
I have the same ones and that's honestly my biggest issue with it.

But so far it's the only guard that protects the front of the joy cons so I'm keeping it for now.

BSpot

I’m totally down to get a case like that, but I dock a lot. I will probably wait until there are open docks that will allow the grip to stay on...

NeatoKuni

Dang that looks good!

Shoot I have a Vita 1000 though. I don't see any version for that. I guess the only time the 1000 face cover was made was for Persona 4 Golden's CE. Except that one is 100 dollars for the used ones!

I won't give up though. I really like your face plate so I'll keep looking for a 1000 version.

There was one that came with the Muramasa Rebirth collector's edition. I might have it lying around somewhere at home, I'll have to check (visiting my father atm), but if you cover shipping i can just send it to you since I upgraded to a 2000. Don't hold me to it though, I'd have to find it first.

Meffer

I got the Mumba Switch Case on Amazon a few days back and I love it. Gives it a good grip while still retaining it's sleek design. That and it looks great.

jadedm17

Well, to be fair, for him, it might be. We just have to learn that when someone says something like that, to him it is unplayable. We don't always need to jump on posts, because they don't say "imo" or something like that. I'm still trying to learn this myself.

I had to buy a grip for the vita and PSP too. I really liked my PSP grip.

This was the exact one I had for the PSP:

81tP9yrWOoS._AC_.jpg

Sure, opinions and all that, but "unplayable" is hyperbole. Personally I find adding things - like the PSP here - ruins the whole point of portability. Enjoy what you want but I prefer the switch as is, and think PSP and Vita we're perfect.

mugwhump

What I really want is a case that folds over the screen, and you can prop the switch up on so it can charge in tabletop mode, AND it fits in some dock (either the normal one or some third-party one).

kdoll08

I’ve seen people posting the pdp silicone grips in here and I thought I would offer a better alternative. Here is a similar grip but it’s made by hori and is much better. I have had both types. The hori grips have more room around the buttons so that they don’t feel flush to the grips and therefore are easier to use. Also Hori is much better known for their quality than pdp and they come in black so your switch now looks like a development kit switch. The only drawback is I have only ever seen them on amazon Japan. However with shipping they only come out to like $17. I promise they are better than the pdp version.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N3559HY/

tTOFUHL.jpg

HF2014

I got the Mumba Switch Case on Amazon a few days back and I love it. Gives it a good grip while still retaining it's sleek design. That and it looks great.

How much weight it give to the Switch? Im really not feeling my gel guards, want something to make front button all accessible, and on the look and reviews it look nice, but a tiny worried about how much weight it will give.

Devil

I’ve seen people posting the pdp silicone grips in here and I thought I would offer a better alternative. Here is a similar grip but it’s made by hori and is much better. I have had both types. The hori grips have more room around the buttons so that they don’t feel flush to the grips and therefore are easier to use. Also Hori is much better known for their quality than pdp and they come in black so your switch now looks like a development kit switch. The only drawback is I have only ever seen them on amazon Japan. However with shipping they only come out to like $17. I promise they are better than the pdp version.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01N3559HY/

tTOFUHL.jpg

The bulge at the back of the Horis look pretty small. Are they big enough to make the joycons significantly more comfortable to hold for a long time?

They are available at amazon.de as well btw, starting at 16€.

maouvin

Just received this guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07457V4XJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The bulges help with finger positioning behind the Switch, making the whole thing easier to hold. Has a nice texture too. Doesn't fit in the dock.

However, it'd much be better if the bulges extended a bit to the lower sides too - so making it wider on the bottom, like a normal controller (the bulges on this one go behind only).
For now, the ones I remember being like that are the gametech thingies, the Gripcase and some 3D printed ones. Maybe I'll jump into one of those in the future.

Top Bottom