• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch handheld mode Grip/Case

Jacobson

Actually, I might have been thinking of this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/switchcase-case-with-replaceable-grips-for-nintend

ad0c71d946b55ea6f2db250d4af08f49_original.gif

yep, that's the one I preordered on Indiegogo

NeatoKuni

I ordered one. The cool thing about this too is that it’ll take care of my issue with my right joycon being busted too. It slips off way too easy. 10$ case > 40/80$ controllers

Shifty

Not being able to easily remove the joycons looks a bit restrictive to me. I dig the extra bulk on them though, always thought it would have been great if the official battery grip could be used while attached to the console.

Man that's kinda cool but also kinda terrifying. Looks like something out of Observer.

Referral link, let me guess you got it 'from another forum' like everyone else that gets caught.
nice referral link OP, but I'll just cut it out to check out the product :)

If there's one thing these Amazon threads always deliver on, it's edgelords that think calling out nonexistent referral links makes them some sort of justice-serving gunslinger. Great way to populate the ignore list.

For your reference, a referral link segment looks like this:
?tag=your_Referral_ID

Not like this:
?ref=personal_Search_Metadata

Learn about the shit you're flinging before it leaves your hand, please.

ramparter

Banned
I've had my eye on this Switch grip. I think it looks pretty decent.

It's called the GripCase by a company called Skull & Co.
I like this one but I wish there was a similar that would also make the switch taller like the Wii U gamepad. One thing I like with Wii U was that I would let it stand on my chest while lying in my coach.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hmm this looks great. Just looked at their indiegogo updates and the case looks amazing too. Seems like they thought of everything. Charging the grip in case with a power bank and the case doubling as a kickstand. Think I'll preorder even though it'll make my old cases obsolete lol.

Edit: And preordered. I'm mostly a docked player but I play all my indie games undocked and my hands go numb every time I play it undocked so this grip and case looks perfect.

Meffer

I've been using the grey version of these for a few months, can highly recommend;

71jdBklY96L._AC_SX430_.jpg

You can't see it in the picture but they have a rubber bulk at the back that gives more grip room for the hands, and since it only covers the joycon it doesn't block the dock so you never need to take them off.

I have these, they're really nice.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Been wondering about this myself since adding a grip to my 3ds made a world of difference.

The not being able to dock is kind a big deal to me tho. That's how I charge it since I don't have any other USB C type devices. (Yet)

I saw in the OP it said it's easy to remove but how "easy" are we talking?

phanphare

Banned
I've been using the grey version of these for a few months, can highly recommend;

71jdBklY96L._AC_SX430_.jpg

You can't see it in the picture but they have a rubber bulk at the back that gives more grip room for the hands, and since it only covers the joycon it doesn't block the dock so you never need to take them off.

just picked these up. they're great. for like $6 at wal mart you can't do much better. the minus button become a bit harder to press but only enough to mention off hand in an impression post not enough to really be annoying in practice.

I've had my eye on this Switch grip. I think it looks pretty decent.

It's called the GripCase by a company called Skull & Co.
Dang that looks great! I want this! Is it still available to order? I can't seem to load all of Kickstarter. It only loads halfway.

if I actually ever used the switch portable I'd probably grab something like this. The short time I played splatoon portable the right analog stick position brutalized my thumb

I just want something similar to the cyber gadget n3ds grip, something that just clips on to the side of the Joy Con.

I realise compromises will need to be made to keep it dock-able but I’m kind of shocked nothing decent has come out yet.

georly

Does anyone have any solutions for playing a d-pad heavy game using the joycons 'freehand?'

Trying to play picross in tabletop mode gives me a cramp doing the claw with my thumb.

Any other ways of holding the joycon cramp my palm (thumb reaching too far) or don't provide an adequate grip on the joycon (it's not resting in my palm) so it tends to slip and move around.

I don't want to have to bring my pro controller everywhere with me (where the d-pad is further to the right so it's comfortable based on the radial distance to the joint).

If there was some sort of grip that could sit comfortably in my palm while rotating the joycon maybe 45 degrees so the d-pad is equidistant to my thumb as the stick, that would be great.

Somebody please buy this and let me know how it is :D

The Kickstarter grip looks nice, but not $50 nice. If it was maybe half the price, I'd bite.

I told you what it was like in the OP. It's comfy, sleek, doesn't look cheap, which is shocking since it's only $10. Looks good with the gray joy-con too. read the verified purchase reviews from the amazon page. They are legit.

I bought this one from this guy on Etsy. I like it and it's pretty comfortable. I don't know the seller.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/518147574/xbox-comfort-grips-for-nintendo-switch?ref=shop_home_feat_2

That's pretty cool. A little too high for my taste, but cool nonetheless. I may try those joy-con grips someone posted above, where it only covers the joy-con, so it can still be docked. I'll need to see what others have said about the ease of sliding on/off the joy-con from the Switch is though, with the grips attached.

pdp-switch-joy-con-guards-640x508.jpg

I've held off on buying a Switch because it looks super-uncomfortable playing games where you have to switch between the right analog and buttons, so if any grips manages to create the form factor of the Wii U Pro Controller, I'll bite.

Karish

That's pretty cool. A little too high for my taste, but cool nonetheless. I may try those joy-con grips someone posted above, where it only covers the joy-con, so it can still be docked. I'll need to see what others have said about the ease of sliding on/off the joy-con from the Switch is though, with the grips attached.

Link?

Wallach

I just got that dock extender cable thing in the mail today, and it works like a charm. So now instead of physically docking the Switch I just have a cable that runs from the dock (which I now have moved behind the TV) out under the TV gap so I can just plug the Switch in and set it down in front of the TV to change to docked mode. I wanted to do that anyway, but something to consider if you are using this case (or thinking about it).

phanphare

Banned

they're as easy to slide on and off as they are without the grips

Maximo

I've held off on buying a Switch because it looks super-uncomfortable playing games where you have to switch between the right analog and buttons, so if any grips manages to create the form factor of the Wii U Pro Controller, I'll bite.

Yep same here just holding off for some sort of Pro Controller Grip.

DMiz

I actually really like the BioGenik "pro bundle" that you can pick up at EB Games/Gamestop. I realize that might be blasphemous to some people, but it comes mirth two silicon grips that work independently of the rest of the Switch that go on the Joycons and, honestly, work amazing.

They come with a slight grip at the back that helps with holding it properly. I haven't looked back or gone back since.

I always use Amazon Smile links where I can. Does NeoGAF auto convert those with a regex type command as well? Or does smile act differently than most Amazon referral links?

Mesoian

Got it from play Asia before they were released in the UK, they're pretty easy to find on Amazon and eBay now. :)

Found this pic that does the job I think:

It's a very snug fit around the buttons and sticks, they hardly slide around at all.

Personally I don't use the analog stick caps but others may find them more comfortable.

Yo that's perfect! I need that!

Crayon

Hmm. Maybe I consider use so.ething like this. I find handheld comfortable for up to an hour. Any longer than that and I just play tabletop mode. But something like this is so cheap and it might be handy.

I told you what it was like in the OP. It's comfy, sleek, doesn't look cheap, which is shocking since it's only $10. Looks good with the gray joy-con too. read the verified purchase reviews from the amazon page. They are legit.
Thanks for the info. I scrolled past it too fast... One thing though, how much does it improve the handling? Most reviews on Amazon just comment on the protective factor but I'd mainly buy it for increased comfort while playing in handheld mode.

I couldn't play Zelda in handheld mode because my hands started cramping after roughly 30 minutes.

What worries me about the gel guards are how much harder or nullifying they are of a button click when they reach as high as the button.

Anyone who has one of these wanna share their thoughts on that? I'd appreciate it.

they're as easy to slide on and off as they are without the grips

Awesome. I'm a few seconds away from taking the plunge on these for my daughter. I read theat they aren't that tight on the joycon and move around. Do you have that issue?

Thanks for the info. I scrolled past it too fast... One thing though, how much does it improve the handling? Most reviews on Amazon just comment on the protective factor but I'd mainly buy it for increased comfort while playing in handheld mode.

I couldn't play Zelda in handheld mode because my hands started cramping after roughly 30 minutes.

Oh, it's night and day better for handling. The extra bumps at the bottom of the case make it feel like you are holding a controller, or the Wii U gamepad.

phanphare

Banned
Awesome. I'm a few seconds away from taking the plunge on these for my daughter. I read theat they aren't that tight on the joycon and move around. Do you have that issue?

nah haven't had that issue, they fit really snug. I've played in handheld mode and with the joy con split and they don't wiggle at all. I've only had them for a few days now but I've played a lot. the only issue I can foresee is that next to each analog stick the grip gets really thin and could potentially snap. that's it though. for $6 you really can't go wrong. maybe try and find them in person so you can return them if you don't like them.

nah haven't had that issue, they fit really snug. I've played in handheld mode and with the joy con split and they don't wiggle at all. I've only had them for a few days now but I've played a lot. the only issue I can foresee is that next to each analog stick the grip gets really thin and could potentially snap. that's it though. for $6 you really can't go wrong. maybe try and find them in person so you can return them if you don't like them.

Thanks for the impression. I'm super happy with my grip, but want something like these for my daughters switch.

forrest

formerly nacire
Grip looks decent OP, no doubt it feels tons better than without.

I'm still waiting on a clip or mount that let's you attached the screen to the pro controller.

Top Bottom