• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Roof-top Parties: How many have managed to recreate this prestigious event

spock

Done this about 4 times, probably again today. After actually doing this, I understood the magic. I been playing with other parents while our kids play together. Though older kids tend to start watching and want to play, asking to get next, lol. I've rocked Mario kart outside the past 2 days with another parent playing multiplayer worldwide on a hotspot. Pretty bonkers thinking about it.

Tetris and Mario kart work best thus far. I rented 1 2 switch and personally think the game was really wack. Worse than I thought it would be. HD rumble seems like nonsense to me as well.

ZOONAMI

gggAXoG.jpg

At a bar in the back yard area. Pretty close?

Oh yeah looks like you even put a filter on there.

Gala

We played Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tetris in the park this weekend and on a balcony in the evening with a couple of people.

Got invited to hanami (picnic beneath the cherry blossom) about a month ago by two friends, and decided to take the Switch with me. I was a bit nervous about randomly suggesting "hey shall we play a game?", and apparently rightly so because they weren't very enthusiastic at first. We still played a bit of Snipperclips though. Unfortunately one of the two girls was completely lost and didn't understand the game and couldn't figure out the controls (even though we played the tutorial!) so it didn't last very long (also the park was going to close). But hey, we still had some fun!

Later I was in the common room of the uni dorm with a few friends having pizza and some other people came in when I took out the Switch. We played a bit of 1-2-Switch and Snipperclips, but again most people didn't understand/like Snipperclips and we were all too full from pizza to play the more intensive 1-2-Switch games, so we mostly stuck to treasure chest and ball count. That got dull pretty quick.

Wish I could go travel back to those two moments, this time with Mario Kart. That's exactly the game I needed to make people get more into it, I guess.

I had one extremely successful 1-2-Switch party though, but I actually invited people to that so it doesn't really count for this thread :p.

seems like a lot of glare in the pic. is that a concern when playing outside?

Arkeband

Banned
I personally can't wait to bring one to a remote winter mountain lodge and handing my Sherpa guide a Joy-Con. #blessed #pleasures

Marcel

But he's an employee of a totally different games company to that which he is playing the games of.

Does anyone really think people at Sony only play Sony games? Or that Nintendo employees only play Nintendo games, other than maybe platform wars idiots?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But he's an employee of a totally different games company to that which he is playing the games of.

Yeah and? Shu Yoshida is a giant Nintendo nerd and buys all their consoles. I believe he had two Wii U's.

kubus

seems like a lot of glare in the pic. is that a concern when playing outside?
Nah that's mostly because of the angle. We really had zero problems with seeing the screen. Of course the colors won't be as vibrant compared to playing inside but I was really impressed with how crisp everything looked. It was a little cloudy that day though, so might be more obtrusive on a sunny day!

TheMoon

Nah that's mostly because of the angle. We really had zero problems with seeing the screen. Of course the colors won't be as vibrant compared to playing inside but I was really impressed with how crisp everything looked. It was a little cloudy that day though, so might be more obtrusive on a sunny day!

The sun will kill all the fun. I've tried.

Lkr

no i live in florida, playing video games outdoor would fucking suck. i might as well just be playing real sports at that point

sleepnaught

Brought it to the Hibachi restaurant the other day and we played splitscreen MK8D, was a lot of fun while we waited on our food

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Not on a rooftop but in three seperate groups I've had the "break the Switch out and people play Snipperclips/Puyo Puyo" experience

Played Mario Kart 8 at a 5 star Japanese steakhouse. Started getting a crowd of young adults watching me and my girlfriend. Then they wanted to try while our food was being made. Was honestly a lot of fun. After we ate we ordered drinks and made some friends as we played. I honestly see the magic behind this thing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
An article on point with this topic:

I Took My Nintendo Switch To A Bar, And I Was Surprised By What Happened
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...iwas-surprised-by-what-happened/#518aa3731f20

Most importantly, every single person I played with said that they had heard about the Switch, thought it was kind of weird, and had been wholly converted by happy hour Mario Kart. This is what Erik Kain wrote about in his "secret weapon" piece a while back: that the most effective marketing for the Nintendo Switch is inevitably the Switch itself, out there in the world, drawing attention. Now if only people could actually buy one.

Top Bottom