• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch SCD to potentially have 8GB ram, 3.5 teraflop 1060 class gpu, will s your d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deeke[VRZ];228509673 said:
I'm wondering if the Tegra could benefit from extra compute power feom Nvidia's GeForce Now servers.

Nvidia could beam high end GeForce GPU power over the cloud.

Also isn't the SCD just a processing box that facilitates extra bandwidth, the same kind of bandwidth required for cloud compute power boosts?

Isn't that what MS attempted, and has so far failed to deliver on with XB1 and Crackdown?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah yes. A portable PS4 Pro+. Of course.

Why do you kids do this to yourselves.

D.Lo

Hang on so this would vastly increase performance when docked in a kind of 'super-dock'? But using the same portable device?

ffdgh

Oh dear...Unexpected twist if this somehow happens tho I dobut it will.
KuGsj.gif

Pocks

Gosh, I would be all over this. As convincing as Thraktor is, I just don't see this happening. It's so Nintendon't.

SRTtoZ

How would 4k games fit onto their regular carts? And I feel like they would have included much more than 32gb if they planned on making games that big. This is made up.

10 docks= 4K Nintendo games? What a dream. If only it could happen.

Same textures frame rate and everything, just the resolution increase.

Dives

Neo Member
No? Why should it only improve framerate? would be likely for 4k gaming. Not that i believe it.

It takes a lot more than a 1060 to drive 4k in 3D games. And why would Nintendo target 4k when hardly anyone owns a 4k TV at this point. It took them until 2012 to target HD.

Speely

Banned
Let's all take a step back and assume that the release Switch is all we are getting any time soon. This avoids dashed hopes and enables surprise hype if does indeed turn out to be true.

So is this like Goten turning super saiyan but because it's Goten him being super saiyan doesn't add up much without a super saiyan Trunks fusion?

Thraktor

I don't think there really needs to be another thread for this, but if there is there are some things I should note:

1. This is entirely contingent on the leak in question being 100% correct. We know it's correct about the Switch details, but that doesn't automatically mean it's correct about this device.
  2. The fact that 2000 of these dev kits have supposedly been made, but we haven't heard even the slightest hint about it from any media outlet should be a sign to take the rumour with a healthy dose of salt.
  3. If it does end up being true it's not going to be 3.5 Tflops. There's a reason I referred to the GP106 in the post, rather than the GTX 1060, and that's because anything Nintendo use would almost certainly be clocked quite a bit lower than the desktop graphics card. There's also the possibility that it's being used as a stand-in for a less powerful custom GPU. It would be a lot more powerful than anything I would have expected from Nintendo for this kind of device, but it wouldn't be a full 3.5TF GTX 1060.
To re-emphasise what I wrote in the original post this is purely speculation based on supposed leaks from a source which, although right about Switch, may be completely wrong about this device.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Let's all take a step back and assume that the release Switch is all we are getting any time soon. This avoids dashed hopes and enables surprise hype if does indeed turn out to be true.

Uh people are expected to buy an overpriced handheld with overpriced peripherals and an account service and then a hundreds of dollar dock add on? Yeah everybody! "hype!" Even though just 5 seconds before hypocrites were crying about how power didn't matter.

Yeah.

Risette

A Good Citizen
How would 4k games fit onto their regular carts? And I feel like they would have included much more than 32gb if they planned on making games that big. This is made up.
i mean this is made up but lol it would just run the same games at a higher res

"4K games" is a weird categorization

Kimawolf

By the time this would release, If it were real, the Scorpio would be out and there'd be rumors of the next PS console.
which is why they would do it. I imagine Nintendo is fully embracing the Apple/android models of forward compatible/itenitative hardware. so why not put out powerful, hardware right as the others prepare,to launch as well? i bet we will see new "switches "every two to three years. not as fast as phones, but not as slow as traditional consoles.

Air

Banned
It's interesting. Not sure if I buy it, sounds like it'd be a mess for Nintendo's marketing, but the possibility is there.

oxidax

Yea im not getting into that rabbit hole. I want to believe, tho.

Guys, lets just do this Switch thing as is and see what happens.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This most certainly does not mean that I believe any of this, not for a minute, but this idea would not be portable - just for docked mode.

The idea of Nintendo desperately PR'ing the Switch as a console now only to turn around a year or so later with an actual console sold separately would be some Nintendo ass... ohhhh. They finally stepped up to Sega's challenge.

Proelite

Basically we could keep the same handheld unit and Switch docks when it's time to upgrade. Sounds good

Or keep the same SCD dock and Switch handheld unit when it's time to upgrade.

Release new SCD and Switch on non-overlapping 4 year cycles ala World Cup and Eurocup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom