• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch SCD to potentially have 8GB ram, 3.5 teraflop 1060 class gpu, will s your d

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax

Banned
Once you guys see the dock accessory you're gonna flip out. Scorpio and PS4 Pro better have good pricing this holiday season.

The idea of Nintendo desperately PR'ing the Switch as a console now only to turn around a year or so later with an actual console sold separately would be some Nintendo ass... ohhhh. They finally stepped up to Sega's challenge.
The thing is though, these devices would all user the same carts and software, much like the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
mjlol.png

border

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

We really aren't ready to move past step 1 yet?

The Switch is what it is. Why would the company who has not given a fuck about computational power for 15 years suddenly come up with this cockamaimie upgrade path?

AniHawk

The idea of Nintendo desperately PR'ing the Switch as a console now only to turn around a year or so later with an actual console sold separately would be some Nintendo ass... ohhhh. They finally stepped up to Sega's challenge.

iwata said the system could be part of a family of systems, where handheld and console units act like brothers. this would play into that pretty well. i think iwata had originally wanted a handheld switch and a console switch, and that after his death, the idea for a hybrid really started to get going in order to simplify messaging, skus, and to generate more interest.

the idea of an iterative platform was sort of iwata's core concept for the nx project, where there would be multiple variations of hardware to reach all kinds of consumers. this isn't too different than the idea of the 3ds, 3ds xl, 2ds, new 3ds, and new 3ds xl, except the form factor would also change more dramatically to suit the needs of certain people.

Dives

Neo Member
When you undock the Switch with the SCD attached you'd be cutting off the console from 4GB of RAM while its still in use, storing texture data, map data, pretty much anything the game needs. Anyone see a problem with this?

Speely

Banned
I have a hard time believing this when BotW is running at 900p in docked mode. And it's not exactly the most graphically intense game out there.

Not that I believe this rumor (I don't) but BotW running at 900p docked means nothing in regard to what the rumor suggests. It's a Wii U port running on what would be VASTLY inferior hardware than the rumored SCD + Switch. It's apples and atom bombs.

Edit: sorry, I see you misread :)

Madao

this sounds like the 64DD redux.

after what happened with the real announcement vs the leaks last week, i'm not believing anything that's not announced by Nintendo themselves.
also, their track record with add-ons is quite bad.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
GAF insiders are WILDIN out here in these streets.

Where are the checks and balances with this shit?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The thing is though, these devices would all user the same carts and software, much like the PS4 and PS4 Pro.
iwata said the system could be part of a family of systems, where handheld and console units act like brothers. this would play into that pretty well. i think iwata had originally wanted a handheld switch and a console switch, and that after his death, the idea for a hybrid really started to get going in order to simplify messaging, skus, and to generate more interest.

the idea of an iterative platform was sort of iwata's core concept for the nx project, where there would be multiple variations of hardware to reach all kinds of consumers. this isn't too different than the idea of the 3ds, 3ds xl, 2ds, new 3ds, and new 3ds xl, except the form factor would also change more dramatically to suit the needs of certain people.
Thats sort of the problem with the shared library concept. The value proposition of a 4K PS4 Pro+ add-on box is that you'll only ever be playing up-rezzed portable games for another $300. It's also not wise to be lying to every single early adopter of 2017's "home console" with glassy eyes at this point.

I mean I know the usual lot will line up to the tune of 'Hit Me Baby, One More Time', but following Sega to the tee out of the hardware business isn't what I'd recommend.

I don't think there really needs to be another thread for this, but if there is there are some things I should note:

1. This is entirely contingent on the leak in question being 100% correct. We know it's correct about the Switch details, but that doesn't automatically mean it's correct about this device.
  2. The fact that 2000 of these dev kits have supposedly been made, but we haven't heard even the slightest hint about it from any media outlet should be a sign to take the rumour with a healthy dose of salt.
  3. If it does end up being true it's not going to be 3.5 Tflops. There's a reason I referred to the GP106 in the post, rather than the GTX 1060, and that's because anything Nintendo use would almost certainly be clocked quite a bit lower than the desktop graphics card. There's also the possibility that it's being used as a stand-in for a less powerful custom GPU. It would be a lot more powerful than anything I would have expected from Nintendo for this kind of device, but it wouldn't be a full 3.5TF GTX 1060.
To re-emphasise what I wrote in the original post this is purely speculation based on supposed leaks from a source which, although right about Switch, may be completely wrong about this device.

My 1060 has 4,6tflops though.

Proelite

When you undock the Switch with the SCD attached you'd be cutting off the console from 4GB of RAM while its still in use, storing texture data, map data, pretty much anything the game needs. Anyone see a problem with this?

You can be running two instances of the graphical pipeline at the same time. That's how the nostalgia toggle for Halo 1 and 2 anniversary was done.

RK128

This is gold; Nintendo pulling a SEGA CD and 32-X if they are going down this path and it will piss people off.

I doubt this will happen but wouldn't be surprised. Nintendo is hard to predict.

This thread's topic isn't really based entirely off wild speculation.

It's based upon reports from a leak which seemed to have been on the nose with regards to the nintendo switch so far. The leak outlined very specific details which turned out to be correct.

I believe the idea of an SCD for the switch is definitely worth discussion.

Could Nvidia make something like this? Probably. Would it be expensive and impractical? Definitely. This "SCD" thing has to stop.
giphy.gif

platina

I knew there was a secret sauce to this ancient specced console. Oh Nintendo, you held this one pretty close to the chest. I was beginning to worry it would suffer the same fate as the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom