• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch SCD to potentially have 8GB ram, 3.5 teraflop 1060 class gpu, will s your d

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBwB

Wow, never did I think that Nintendo would be the first of the 3 to develop something like this.

Very bold of them.

Dives

Neo Member
You can be running two instances of the graphical pipeline at the same time. That's how the nostalgia toggle for Halo 1 and 2 anniversary was done.

Then why even have the RAM in the first place if its only mirroring what's in the switch and not expanding the pool.

Reposting what I posted in the rumor thread that led to this potential development.

You guys are killing me. From the beginning when switch was announced by Nintendo to be a hybrid I saw their future. This "SHOULD" be the future and end game for nintendo. What I mean is this is the last design they should have for a console. Imagine the switch as it has been revealed. Imagine Christmas this year (I don't think they should wait long) release the SCD dock that enables 4k gaming launching with Mario odyssey switch first Mario game in 4k for the holidays. Release patches for zelda bumping it up, Mario kart, etc. Then 5 years later you can release a new switch "tablet" (1080p screen) rinse and repeat. Everyone involved (Nintendo and Nvidia) are happy. There is a reason this "partnership" with them has been described by Nvidia ceo as something that could last 20 years. To me this makes perfect sense and if nintendo doesn't do this.... THEY ARE IDIOTS! It keeps them always in the game and you have your standard controller and joy cons set. So in reality even though consumers will be paying the price to upgrade it is all they are paying for basically what pc players do all the time. I'm excited but nervous because only Nintendo could be sitting on this revolutionary concept and decide not to do it fucking up.

But when do you draw a line and say that hold hardware will no longer be supported? Would be difficult to communicate to 'non-enthusiasts'. Though I suppose they'd be satisfied with the tablet releases every few years.

The Hermit

giphy.gif

this please

I blame this to the lack of Nintendo games. Zelda can't come soon enough

Speely

Banned
Reposting what I posted in the rumor thread that led to this potential development.

You guys are killing me. From the beginning when switch was announced by Nintendo to be a hybrid I saw their future. This "SHOULD" be the future and end game for nintendo. What I mean is this is the last design they should have for a console. Imagine the switch as it has been revealed. Imagine Christmas this year (I don't think they should wait long) release the SCD dock that enables 4k gaming launching with Mario odyssey switch first Mario game in 4k for the holidays. Release patches for zelda bumping it up, Mario kart, etc. Then 5 years later you can release a new switch "tablet" (1080p screen) rinse and repeat. Everyone involved (Nintendo and Nvidia) are happy. There is a reason this "partnership" with them has been described by Nvidia ceo as something that could last 20 years. To me this makes perfect sense and if nintendo doesn't do this.... THEY ARE IDIOTS! It keeps them always in the game and you have your standard controller and joy cons set. So in reality even though consumers will be paying the price to upgrade it is all they are paying for basically what pc players do all the time. I'm excited but nervous because only Nintendo could be sitting on this revolutionary concept and decide not to do it fucking up.

I see them doing this for sure. Just not as soon as many might hope.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
POWERFUL NINTENDO HARDWARD COMING SOON - now that the XBOX1 class Switch has dropped to -maybe- PS3 levels, we need a new revision of this rumour

THIRD PARTIES FULLY ON BOARD AND WE ARE GETTING 1-for-1 PORTS OF PLAYSTATION GAMES

honestly, do none of you ever go "well, we said this 3 times in a row... but this time it's happening fo... oh wait , it's not" and think -maybe- Nintendo aren't going to go down the route you day dream they will?

yes - IMAGINE! because ... nintendo!

Imagine SCD
It's easy if you try
Imagine all the third parties
all their games to buy

imagine all the nthings
playing 3rd party games
woohooo hooooo
you may say that i'm a dreamer
but i'm not the only one
those third party games look awesome
.. i should have bought an XBox 1

iwata said the system could be part of a family of systems, where handheld and console units act like brothers. this would play into that pretty well. i think iwata had originally wanted a handheld switch and a console switch, and that after his death, the idea for a hybrid really started to get going in order to simplify messaging, skus, and to generate more interest.

the idea of an iterative platform was sort of iwata's core concept for the nx project, where there would be multiple variations of hardware to reach all kinds of consumers. this isn't too different than the idea of the 3ds, 3ds xl, 2ds, new 3ds, and new 3ds xl, except the form factor would also change more dramatically to suit the needs of certain people.

I'm not sure I agree entirely with this. The issue is having a secondary Switch console would add an incredible cost to the system. The system is already $300, do you really want consumers to pay $100 at the very least, maybe closer to $150 or more to have a secondary system? At that point, why not just have two separate consoles? Having two separate Switch consoles like that makes things so unnecessarily complicated and expensive.

Why would you post this thread as fact when it's merely speculation from a NeoGAF user, contingent on another rumor/leak being entirely factual?

wait, so it's better to wait?

IF this comes to fruition it will happen a ways down the road and only be a new version of the dock. You will need to own a Switch anyway, and buy the upgraded dock to get 4k rendering.

It's basically the PS4 Pro to the Switch's PS4, but instead of a replacement device it's an upgrade device, so the cost to upgrade is much, much lower.

Then why even have the RAM in the first place if its only mirroring what's in the switch and not expanding the pool.

Lol, because this makes no sense. You have a system with double the RAM, but maintain a 4GB pool for the old Switch, effectively making the new system's RAM pool...4GB as well

Speely

Banned
IF this comes to fruition it will happen a ways down the road and only be a new version of the dock. You will need to own a Switch anyway, and buy the upgraded dock to get 4k rendering.

It's basically the PS4 Pro to the Switch's PS4, but instead of a replacement device it's an upgrade device, so the cost to upgrade is much, much lower.

All of this.

Future

Not gonna happen anytime soon, but I had thought that this was what the switch actually was when first announced. A more powerful dock that adds power to the switch. Some games allow the switch, some games are docked only... allowing the console to approach this gen power instead of being way behind

Buuuuut nintendo wanted to stay behind in power thinking it's more important to make every game switchable, and to save money. :/

Vena

Why would you post this thread as fact when it's merely speculation from a NeoGAF user, contingent on another rumor/leak being entirely factual?

He went hog wild on PS4Pro speculation too, he loves this stuff I think.

Expect similar when Scorpio details start leaking.

This is really stupid idea. An expensive add-on to fragment the user bases that are already smaller than the competitors? Who's going to develop games targeting this shit?

They release updated docs with GPU and ram. You just place the switch tablet in te new dock and.... You have a more powerful system.

That's honestly the feeling I'm getting with what'll happen to console gaming moving forward. It makes sense, but then it gets insanely expensive with having to upgrade your dock so often. And at some point, the already very weak Switch portable console won't be able to support the super new games. I think this is the right idea moving forward, but I don't think it makes sense with a portable console like this. It would be super cool though, as long as they don't make it obscenely expensive.

Flandy

What the hell have you guys been doing? I leave gaf for a few hours and now we have rumors about an external GPU for the Switch? Wat

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Nintendo pulling something like this would torpedo the Switch. Sony waited years for the Pro.

btrboyev

Even if this ends up being real, I can't imagine it'd sell well enough for anything but a small number of devs bothering to support it.

Like the PS4 Pro or Scorpio? I'm not saying this real, it's pretty much no way going to happen, but if it did, they could offer at it as Pro upgrade no different than what the other two are doing. All games would still need to support standard hardware.

Proelite

Lol, because this makes no sense. You have a system with double the RAM, but maintain a 4GB pool for the old Switch, effectively making the new system's RAM pool...4GB as well

Unless I read wrong, the SCD will have 8GB of ram. So you keep a copy of the game in the 4gb of the switch and a copy in the 8GB of the SCD.

This is really stupid idea. An expensive add-on to fragment the user bases that are already smaller than the competitors? Who's going to develop games targeting this shit?

We're still claiming this is a thing, when we have the DSi, N3DS, PS4Pro and Scorpio coming out eventually? Granted the N3DS didn't really have exclusives, but some games did use the extra power

That's honestly the feeling I'm getting with what'll happen to console gaming moving forward. It makes sense, but then it gets insanely expensive with having to upgrade your dock so often. And at some point, the already very weak Switch portable console won't be able to support the super new games. I think this is the right idea moving forward, but I don't think it makes sense with a portable console like this. It would be super cool though, as long as they don't make it obscenely expensive.

LMAO

I don't believe this fragments the userbase. It gives them options. That is entirely different.

That said, this is insane and bizarre. If this is Nintendo's game plan, it would be a revolution that they could live or die by.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i wonder what magic Nintedno will employ to get the switch to be able to play 1060 GPU games on the go ?

christ.

Proelite

We're still claiming this is a thing, when we have the DSi, N3DS, PS4Pro and Scorpio coming out eventually? Granted the N3DS didn't really have exclusives, but some games did use the extra power

Exactly Nintendo already did this with the 3ds. This is by all measures subjectively and objectively a better upgrade experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom