• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey guys! Community manager for Bandai Namco Games Europe here (and the author of the post). It seems we need to clarify more what we meant and we're going to do that. Trust me, it is not PR bullshit: it would be very very stupid of us to say something false about a game that anyone can check by looking at videos online. Not to mention dishonest! (which is not my style).

What we meant to say was that you can play Infinity Moment (the floor clearing part) in Hollow Fragment, and not just the Hollow Fragment part of the game (Philia/Laughing Coffin), which felt like two games for us since we never got Infinity Moment on PSP in Europe. We'll work on the way to communicate this better.

Sorry again for the confusion! Please always assume I messed up using the correct words instead of malice next time D: it's really never my intention to mislead.

It looks like all the media outlets went and ran off with the totally wrong idea about what the game is. Seriously not good seeing how folks are confused all over the place with whats included with the game or what the game is more like it. Really should have been cleared up by BanNam first thing that happened.

Im not exactly a huge fan of misinformation which is what went on here. Its great that you are trying to clear things up, but the way that its been made to sound like something extra is being included which it isnt if what I understand is correct.

Since the title was never meant to be thought of as just Hollow Fragment and was never shown as such. As its part of the whole package which the main story is the Infinity Moment parts. The Hollow Fragment is just a new part of the story that adds on top of that. Which is why I do not understand how the official channels so to speak managed to get that mixed up.

Anyways do appreciate you coming out and talking to us in regards to the situation and am sure that your hands are tied when it comes to certain things! Its the overall idea with the information screw up that Ive been irritated over and not at you directly.

Thanks Parakeetman for the write-ups on this game. I've been lurking on this thread but your experiences with the game and the videos I've seen so far for this game solidifies my need to get this game. It practically is right up my alley of games so I'll get this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways the game will be released here in my country (Philippines) on the 29th of this month. And retailers here are now taking preorders for the game. It will have some Day 1 DLCs and a poster. I really don't know if retailers here ship abroad but if you have a relative here or knows someone here, you can buy a physical copy of the game.
Here are some more details of the game, Sorry for the FB link: Facebook link

Parakeetman

Thanks Parakeetman for the write-ups on this games. I've been lurking on this thread but your experiences with the game and the videos I've seen so far for this game solidifies my need to get this game. It practically is right up my alley of games so I'll get this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Anyways the game will be released here in my country (Philippines) on the 29th of this month. And retailers here are now taking preorders for the game. It will have some Day 1 DLCs and a poster. I really don't know if retailers here ship abroad but if you have a relative here or knows someone here, you can buy a physical copy of the game.
Here are some more details of the game, Sorry for the FB link: Facebook link

They did an excellent job with improving the overall gameplay experience with the modifications made to the combat and user interface. Not to mention how huge the Hollow Area is. So think you will be in for a good time most def.

ok thanks for the answers and i'll just have a quick peek at the vids then :p

Most of the later vids are combat related, but what I meant with keeping it fresh was if you want to keep what monsters look like and certain areas fresh then yeah not watching is a good idea. But if you want to see what combat looks like among other things then by all means watch the vids up in the thread.

MSMrRound

10374942_461397720659010_3119885892568482263_n.png

10151812_461397717325677_2490233088972949313_n.png

10273433_461397723992343_641054449775362657_n.png

Namco Asia confirms these three DLCs as Day 1/First print DLC for the Region 3 version.

https://www.facebook.com/bandainamcogames.asia/posts/461398933992222

So...just to ask those of you who are playing it...is the game really fun to play even if someone isn't too familiar with the SAO series? Do you find yourself just using the same commands/actions over and over in-game, or are there plenty of opportunities to mix it up for a refreshing gaming experience?

Still on the fence whether I should go ahead with my pre-order....so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Parakeetman

Namco Asia confirms these three DLCs as Day 1/First print DLC for the Region 3 version.

So...just to ask those of you who are playing it...is the game really fun to play even if someone isn't too familiar with the SAO series? Do you find yourself just using the same commands/actions over and over in-game, or are there plenty of opportunities to mix it up for a refreshing gaming experience?

Still on the fence whether I should go ahead with my pre-order....so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Buy the damned game lol.

Ill answer your questions when am home from work. Gotta go now unfortunately.

Parakeetman

To answer the question, yes its a pretty great game even if you are not as familiar with the series. Though Id still recommend watching up till ep 14, otherwise you wont exactly know whats going and who the fuck is who for the most part lol.

Though the gameplay design and mechanics is quite solid so can provide ample entertainment if you are into the whole leveling / loot hunting thing.

As with any and I do mean ANY JRPG in general there are always safe fallback type of patterns that you can do to help maximize your chances to win. Though this game at least gives you the options of various weapons to use and switch between which will change your playstyle a bit as the way the skills work are different with the weapons in terms of damage output and effects. So if you ever get bored of a particular weapon set switch to something else and start skilling that up.

You will want to skill up everything anyways, just because it leads to the sub skill trees which allows you to gain access to new skills to use that dont require the specified weapon.

The enemies have different attack patterns too, so having the right skills ready to counter that is important also. Not everything can be parried, so you will have to learn how to dodge at the right moment and such. Plus make good use of the switch system.

Phlebas

Banned
No Idea how to quote the small pics, but that first one wow

Edit:
Its odd that not much else has been said about the US ver yet, when more info came out bout the EU one. Wonder if they are trying to save it for the E3 since its less than a month away now.

Yeah hopefully that's the case.

Ravage

Now that I know it includes an enhanced version of the PSP game, I can't help but wonder if there are any changes made to the Infinity Moment part of the story?

Parakeetman

Now that I know it includes an enhanced version of the PSP game, I can't help but wonder if there are any changes made to the Infinity Moment part of the story?

Hey guys! Community manager for Bandai Namco Games Europe here (and the author of the post). It seems we need to clarify more what we meant and we're going to do that. Trust me, it is not PR bullshit: it would be very very stupid of us to say something false about a game that anyone can check by looking at videos online. Not to mention dishonest! (which is not my style).

What we meant to say was that you can play Infinity Moment (the floor clearing part) in Hollow Fragment, and not just the Hollow Fragment part of the game (Philia/Laughing Coffin), which felt like two games for us since we never got Infinity Moment on PSP in Europe. We'll work on the way to communicate this better.

Sorry again for the confusion! Please always assume I messed up using the correct words instead of malice next time D: it's really never my intention to mislead.

This title is a "remake" so to speak of the original PSP one. There is some difference with the opening part as it includes the Hollow Fragment story as part of it now. The other thing is that the starting part of Infinity Moment where you meet some of the other characters and how they wind up with you guys on the 76th floor is cut out. Also the very first tutorial fight against Heathcliff. Though a a fair portion of it can be watched in a recap that takes place after the initial intro part of the game, to put you up to speed with the current situation in the story.

There never was any sort of "extra" HD PSP version included. As Hollow Fragment is Infinity Moment for the most part with reworked controls, mechanics and the Hollow Fragment story content. It never was advertised as such also, therefore cant see how one would misunderstand what the game contained.

RalchAC

So, you're saying that the game could be considered as the "G" version most hunting action games have, right? Like what Soul Sacrifice Delta is to Soul Sacrifice (old content with enhanced graphics and improved mechanics + some new extra content).

I think I've read somewhere else that Japan is going to get a free patch during summer. I guess we'll get it (or not) depending how well it sell. Do you have something to share about that?

Parakeetman

So, you're saying that the game could be considered as the "G" version most hunting action games have, right? Like what Soul Sacrifice Delta is to Soul Sacrifice (old content with enhanced graphics and improved mechanics + some new extra content).

I think I've read somewhere else that Japan is going to get a free patch during summer. I guess we'll get it (or not) depending how well it sell. Do you have something to share about that?

Pretty much, its the vanilla game with the Hollow Fragment content on top of that. Makes for a pretty large title actually. I was just playing again for a couple of hours once again advancing nothing in the story and just levelling / looking for loot, gathering ore (from enemy drops) for upgrading my weapons.

The large content update is in July here in Japan, though no word yet on whats going with that for the West unfortunately. Guess we will have to wait and see till E3. Hopefully if journalists have a QA session the more savvy ones will ask the very question about it.

There already was some free DLC for game 3 different things think it was 1 item pack, 1 2H Sword and the spriggarn outfit? for Kirito. More will be released but forgot what else is down the pipe, the OHP has info on that.

Same here, I'm on the fence about the Asian version too since I ALWAYS prefer physical format, on the other hand with digital, I don't have to worry about acc change and DLC.

I also always prefer physical though I'm in the exact same boat as you here, especially since the game seems to have a sizable amount of DLC so I guess I will wait for the EU release. That in turn means however I need a 32GB memory card soon too, 8GB won't cut it :(

Parakeetman, I've got to say you put together a great OT. Been a lurker for a while, just got my account accepted today, thought I'd say thanks for all the footage you have shown here! I have the Asian version pre-ordered, and I absolutely can't wait to dive right into it aha!

Parakeetman

Parakeetman, I've got to say you put together a great OT. Been a lurker for a while, just got my account accepted today, thought I'd say thanks for all the footage you have shown here! I have the Asian version pre-ordered, and I absolutely can't wait to dive right into it aha!

Thanks!

Congrats on the acct approval! Do hope you enjoy the game when it arrives. :)

Unfortunately for over here been just decked with work so have not had time to game asides from the graphical work am doing for another OT.

I know the feeling. I'm doing a summer semester in college, usually I'd be enjoying it to it's fullest... Not happening, I'm loaded with assignments. Hoping to plug away from "reality" for a bit when this baby gets here ahaha!

Parakeetman

New strategy guide is now on sale for the game cost around 2,000 JPY (~20 USD)

img_code_04.jpg

comes with the following product codes

White School Mizugi (Female Swimsuit)
Navy School Mizugi (Female Swimsuit)
Challenge Boss Battle (Guardian of Oblivion?)
Additional Extra Dungeon (Castle Labyrinth of Mortal Sin?)

Dengeki Playstation that came out on the 15th comes with a product code for the same dungeon as in the strategy guide.

Latest updates fixes some stability stuff, teleport crystals finally for sale on the 76th floor

treasure chest pop rates adjusted (more like fucked) for what I call the never ending dungeon zone. Its the one that looks like blue wireframes everywhere that you have seen in some of my vids.

Skele7on

Banned
Firstly thank you for an outstanding OP.

I absolutely can't wait to play this game, as long as there is NO FAIRY MODE.

Nearly so nearly switched off because of it, but carried on and was really glad I did!

Parakeetman

Firstly thank you for an outstanding OP.

I absolutely can't wait to play this game, as long as there is NO FAIRY MODE.

Nearly so nearly switched off because of it, but carried on and was really glad I did!

Thanks!

Yep as mentioned in the OT the story doesnt leave SAO, so basically the whole 2nd half in the anime doesnt happen in this story.

Though they do have the spriggan costume for kirito slated for release or forgot if it came out already.

MSMrRound

Apparently one of my local retailers posted an estimation of 70 bucks for the localized version when Vita games usually retail for 4x~5x here.

Sigh...I'm gonna get ripped off (yet again). Last time was when I was made to pay $59 for Bravely Default when a 3DS game usually sell for $10 cheaper or less.

SAO:HF jp is gonna add that extra 30 hours worth of content (or so they claimed) soon right?

Parakeetman

Apparently one of my local retailers posted an estimation of 70 bucks for the localized version when Vita games usually retail for 4x~5x here.

Sigh...I'm gonna get ripped off.

SAO:HF jp is gonna add that extra 30 hours worth of content (or so they claimed) soon right?

July I do believe.

Oh no I'm talking about that guide that Parakeetman just posted. I'm getting the Asian version next week, the English subbed one. If I had money to spare I'd probably buy it for the artwork alone, but I really don't have the money. I'm already paying almost 90$ to import the game.

RalchAC

Pretty much, its the vanilla game with the Hollow Fragment content on top of that. Makes for a pretty large title actually. I was just playing again for a couple of hours once again advancing nothing in the story and just levelling / looking for loot, gathering ore (from enemy drops) for upgrading my weapons.

The large content update is in July here in Japan, though no word yet on whats going with that for the West unfortunately. Guess we will have to wait and see till E3. Hopefully if journalists have a QA session the more savvy ones will ask the very question about it.

There already was some free DLC for game 3 different things think it was 1 item pack, 1 2H Sword and the spriggarn outfit? for Kirito. More will be released but forgot what else is down the pipe, the OHP has info on that.

Oh, sorry for not answering before and thanks.

I wonder what the price will be. I think aroudn 25€/$ would be the sweet spot for a DD only game.

It launched in July right? If it's on July/August I won't be able to be there day one... but hey, at least my love and money is going to NB anyway since the game I'm choosing over SAO is Tales of Xillia 2 :)

Edit: I wanted to say I love how you are our "import corner / reviewer" guy :)

Parakeetman

I should have bought the damned thing when I saw it. Didnt look close enough to see what product codes were in it. D: Was literally holding it 2 days ago.

For real! I've only gotten posting privileges yesterday but I've been visiting these forums for quite a while. I've made a lot of purchases thanks to your good judgement, just recently Demon Gaze comes to mind (another great OT of yours).

I just finished the entire anime (Which I loved), found this thread by chance, and now need to buy a Vita before the American launch. Thanks, Obama Oberon!

Parakeetman

Oh, sorry for not answering before and thanks.

I wonder what the price will be. I think aroudn 25€/$ would be the sweet spot for a DD only game.

It launched in July right? If it's on July/August I won't be able to be there day one... but hey, at least my love and money is going to NB anyway since the game I'm choosing over SAO is Tales of Xillia 2 :)

Hmm I think Europe was July? I need to recheck when the US release date is, but dont think they announced it yet? Yeah Europe, Australia, New Zealand is July but no exact date yet, US Summer no exact date yet. Id reckon it would be announced at the E3?

i just play the less mainstream stuff haha. its nice these days how easy recording stuff is since helps show what one is talking about in OTs :)

For real! I've only gotten posting privileges yesterday but I've been visiting these forums for quite a while. I've made a lot of purchases thanks to your good judgement, just recently Demon Gaze comes to mind (another great OT of yours).

haha Demon Gaze OT was done by ZeroAKA I was just there helping folks out with info initially till everyone got their legs. From there folks could help eachother out. :)

Wow sorry Zero! But I really thought it was you, since you were so active there with tips and stuff! Still, playing the game and reading everyone's experiences and opinions made me want to play more, I wanted to be part of the discussion, but I couldn't. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one importing the Taiwan version, so that there's someone to talk to about the game.

Lain

Kind of a general question, but it's something I'd like to know to make a decision if I want to buy a DD only game for Vita.
I remember, back when the Vita first launched, that load times for physical releases were faster than load times for DD release on cards. Did something change about this?

Parakeetman

Kind of a general question, but it's something I'd like to know to make a decision if I want to buy a DD only game for Vita.
I remember, back when the Vita first launched, that load times for physical releases were faster than load times for DD release on cards. Did something change about this?

unfortunately since i only own the physical version am unable to answer that. would doubt its much of an issue or woukd hear more negative things about it online. ill see if can dig anything up later

TUSR

Banned
unfortunately since i only own the physical version am unable to answer that. would doubt its much of an issue or woukd hear more negative things about it online. ill see if can dig anything up later

so can you make asuna your waifu in this game?

Top Bottom