• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

LMN

Thanks Pheonix_Cypher_C1 for sharing, can't wait for more impression.
It's really suck, that the translation is this bad, after battling with myself for a while, I decided to buy the Asian ver. though I haven't order the game yet, but I already prepared a extra memory card just to have PSN Z3 acc, I guess I will go with wait and see mode for now and decide again later.

After looking at my order status and still seeing "preparing" I went around on the internet looking for some kind of answer, if someone had gotten their copy already shipped. I just read on Gamefaqs that someone that contacted play-asia's customer support was told that they are still waiting on their shipment to come in... Guess I won't be playing it this weekend :(
EDIT: Status has changed to packing. Probably gonna be shipped either overnight or tomorrow. Even with 1-3 day shipping i doubt that it'll be here on friday (I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The western translation will be different :)

thats good to hear and would sure hope so. since using an engrish file an sure would cause the general gaming public to flip out as usual haha.

thanks for the info know everyone here appreciates it!

Tohsaka

I'll leave a sample of how bad the translation is here. This is just one of many lol.
14267546526_7c5f572182_z.jpg

EDIT: And this is directly after answering the statement above. Oh god.
14290685725_f513ff4f13_z.jpg

Wow, I'm kinda glad I resisted the temptation to import now. I'd really like a physical version but I'll just hold off for the digital US version I suppose since Japanese voices were confirmed.

The western translation will be different :)

Good to hear this. I'm pretty sure there'll be a huge backlash if this sort of translation is still kept for the western release.

I was too hopeful when I said that I wanted this game by my birthday, still hasn't even shipped yet. I am keeping my hopes up for getting it on Friday but that really doesn't seem likely.
Great seeing those impressions, and I guess with the translation, it was kind of expected. Is it "fan subbed anime" quality, or choppy broken english? I can deal with the former, but the latter will be a little harder to swallow. Also, is there really a reversible cover?

I missed this post, sorry.

It's not Zero Wing level of translation, certain sentences are grammatically correct, but there are a LOT of typos and other grammatical errors. It is still playable (skills are translated well...at least so far, I'm not that far in the skill tree to find out if they are all translated fine...). You can tell the English language translation for the Asian version was obviously a last minute inclusion and not something that was planned from the beginning.

As for the reversible cover.....it was not in my copy. That said, the cover of mine had the Chinese version's logo....(if you look at their reversible cover pic, the logo is in English) ..so I think it is limited to certain territories only. I'm not missing out on the Limited Ed. cover tho since I have the Japanese release Limited Edition already.... but it's something to take note of if you are importing from sites...

Good to hear this. I'm pretty sure there'll be a huge backlash if this sort of translation is still kept for the western release.

I missed this post, sorry.

It's not Zero Wing level of translation, certain sentences are grammatically correct, but there are a LOT of typos and other grammatical errors. It is still playable (skills are translated well...at least so far, I'm not that far in the skill tree to find out if they are all translated fine...). You can tell the English language translation for the Asian version was obviously a last minute inclusion and not something that was planned from the beginning.

As for the reversible cover.....it was not in my copy. That said, the cover of mine had the Chinese version's logo....(if you look at their reversible cover pic, the logo is in English) ..so I think it is limited to certain territories only. I'm not missing out on the Limited Ed. cover tho since I have the Japanese release Limited Edition already.... but it's something to take note of if you are importing from sites...

Well I was right, my copy ended up being shipped overnight, at 3AM. The expected delivery is tomorrow by lunch time, something that still seems a bit too fast but we'll see. So what I can expect from the subs is pretty much a mix of good and bad, I think I can deal with that aha!
As for the cover, I really don't care if it isn't reversible, but it would be a nice little extra! I'll keep you guys posted, as soon as I get my hands on the game.

Parakeetman

Sounds good, all these new impressions from those of you who own the asian version will help out others with views about the game.

Yup you can count on my report on it. As a huge fan of the series, I will be giving my honest opinions on the game (specially on the subs). Other folks that aren't in the forums are looking forward to impressions, I was one of those people before my posting privileges were given to me after all. I'll keep everyone updated, game's flying to me as we speak.

MSMrRound

Btw, the R3 disc that Bandai Namco Asia released for Singapore/Malaysia/Philippines etc (basically South East Asia) comes as purely Japanese voice and English subtitles.

Can't seem to find the Chinese version that they were pushing about. Maybe that's only available for the Taiwanese version? (Chinese/Eng version seems to be the one available on the R3 PSN though...)

Brought my copy for like SGD $69 (pre-order price). Most retailers selling it $74.90ish. This game is definitely quite pricey. Still barely scratching the surface...

Hey P, any tips for conversations? Basically there are two options "...." and "great". Do I base it on the mood of the NPC character in choosing my reply or?

Also, does it auto-save very often? Kind of scared of closing my game and losing any slight progress that I make >.>

Sitrus

Hey P, any tips for conversations? Basically there are two options "...." and "great". Do I base it on the mood of the NPC character in choosing my reply or?

Also, does it auto-save very often? Kind of scared of closing my game and losing any slight progress that I make >.>

Only way to know what each conversation do is actually to just remember them since they are not changing. Conversations in the bedroom tends to lean towards "great" a lot more for some characters like Asuna.

Autosaving happens each time you change location.

MSMrRound

Do you lose anything if you or your partner die? Do their "trust" or intimacy level go down?

What's a good gauge of levels between "AVOID IT!" and "you can probably attempt it" e.g +10 from your current level?

Sitrus

Do you lose anything if you or your partner die? Do their "trust" or intimacy level go down?

What's a good gauge of levels between "AVOID IT!" and "you can probably attempt it" e.g +10 from your current level?

If you or your partner die, it's game over. Can't speak about the other NPC's since I don't want to try it xD

A good gauge depends on your equipped weapon and available skills. I would say +15-20, which of course depends on the monster.
If you have perfection style skill, you may raise it to +20-25. If you have a skills that ignores defence in addition to perfection style, you may even do +30.
Of course, it also depends on how good you are at dodging attacks :)

There is even a setup that for the most part AOE 1/2HKO most enemies in the game except the major bosses...

Sitrus

Sorry for the constant barrage of questions...how exactly do you get your female partners to wear the DLC equipment?

Just ask away, that's why there is an OT about it ;D

First, you need to get the DLC equipment (obviously). Then you need to get level 4 in friendliness with them. You can see the status on their character info. Don't confuse this with their mood level when you speak to them :p

After getting level 4, you can gift them the equipment, however, you cannot get back their original wear before you get one of their custom wears (the one you get when you max one either atk,buf or defence).

Parakeetman

Sorry for the constant barrage of questions...how exactly do you get your female partners to wear the DLC equipment?

You gotta buy it from the shop in the 76th floor. Should be the armor seller who has it. Then as mentioned get the friendship level up to 4 where you can give it to them. Feel free to ask away Ill be home for pretty much all of today infront of the PC working.

Btw, the R3 disc that Bandai Namco Asia released for Singapore/Malaysia/Philippines etc (basically South East Asia) comes as purely Japanese voice and English subtitles.

Can't seem to find the Chinese version that they were pushing about. Maybe that's only available for the Taiwanese version? (Chinese/Eng version seems to be the one available on the R3 PSN though...)

Brought my copy for like SGD $69 (pre-order price). Most retailers selling it $74.90ish. This game is definitely quite pricey. Still barely scratching the surface...

The ... and Great stuff the difference is like Great is answering whatever they are saying and the .... part is more for like when it seems like what they are saying the conversation is still going on, so its like you listen to them further. Something like that.
And any time you want to save just change areas as it will always auto-save when that happens. Which also goes for if you are in a dungeon and just found some awesome item from a treasure chest or beat something that netted you a lot of EXP. Change areas to save.

Dont think you lose anything as its just game over. Then the game will be reloaded where it last autosaved. Depending if you have the 100% to hit skill you can take on stuff that is like 20 levels higher than yourself, just remember that most likely if you or your partner takes a direct hit that connects the damage will be massive. Dont suggest doing that unless you have proper skills set up to to be ready for such a situation. But it is possible to take down things higher than yourself. Since you are new to the game Id suggest not trying it right off the start lol. So stick to things +10 at the max. When you get the 100% to hit skill it will allow you to fight the stronger stuff, when you do that highly recommend using the 2H Axe for high damage output on the enemy. Or the Mace to constantly stun them.

Surely enough my copy has arrived in my city. Now the thing that sucks is that it is stuck for clearance, and if I am to go by the delivery time, which is 12 pm tomorrow, I will still be on my way home from college. Last time I ordered from P-A not only did this happen, where I wasn't home and the mail man just took the package with him, I also had to pay for customs... Just my luck.

LMN

Someone from gfaqs posted a bunch of the Asian version screenshot from Photobucket, I wanted to post the link here but I'm not sure if it against the rule or not.
Back to the topic, from those screenshots, the translation is not as bad as it sound, It is certainly "Engrish". There certainly some typo, punctuation, and grammar error. However, I still understand almost everything that going on in the dialog.

Parakeetman

Someone from gfaqs posted a bunch of the Asian version screenshot from Photobucket, I wanted to post the link here but I'm not sure if it against the rule or not.
Back to the topic, from those screenshots, the translation is not as bad as it sound, It is certainly "Engrish". There certainly some typo, punctuation, and grammar error. However, I still understand almost everything that going on in the dialog.

I think Photobucket is a blocked website anyways, so even if you wanted to post it you wouldnt be able to.

Can failed Hollow Area missions be repeated again? Or are they all one-time only?

I just failed one early on where you need to get to a certain area without being spotted. After failing it I don't seem to be able to restart that mission again, even if I warp back to the control area and then return to the start point of the mission...the mission just doesn't appear anymore.

Parakeetman

Can failed Hollow Area missions be repeated again? Or are they all one-time only?

I just failed one early on where you need to get to a certain area without being spotted. After failing it I don't seem to be able to restart that mission again, even if I warp back to the control area and then return to the start point of the mission...the mission just doesn't appear anymore.

You can start them over, but they are like time based so you will have to come back later. Those missions are such a huge pain in the ass, since the way the enemy AI works doesnt really make for an easy time.

If its the one Im thinking about once you reach point A then it will continue onto reach point B for another part.

Good lord that mission pissed me off lol. If you get lucky the enemies will be spread apart so you can make it in a single run. If not you will have to stand around for a real long time... Apparently the partner AI can trigger the enemy too while not all the time Ive had it happen once when she was separated from me due to a pathing error with the AI.

So basically all the missions will respawn after a certain period of time am unsure what the intervals are though. Same with treasure chests and bosses. But I believe you can reset those by totally leaving the hollow area then going back in. So you can farm the same chests to get the best possible version of said equipment from a boss protected chest.

LMN

I think Photobucket is a blocked website anyways, so even if you wanted to post it you wouldnt be able to.

Thanks Parakeetman for the info =), I decided to just go ahead and buy the Asian version since for me, Physical Engrish > Digital English. The bad side for now is that I won't get to play the game right away for a foreseeable future.

Parakeetman

Thanks Parakeetman for the info =), I decided to just go ahead and buy the Asian version since for me, Physical Engrish > Digital English. The bad side for now is that I won't get to play the game right away for a foreseeable future.

No problem.

I found that out for myself since I used to use PB, then when it got blocked switched to imgur. Never looked into why its blocked though.

Got greeted by the mail man as I arrived home, lucky me! Here's the game, which DOES have a reversible cover (I reversed mine right away). Few things that surprised me, everything is in english. The cover, the back, which I will post pics of, the patch notes, the digital instructions and even the caution sheet inside the case. It came with 3 pieces of DLC, "Wedding Dress Costume", "Dress Shirt" and "Pyjamas" (there's your first typo ahaha).

https://flic.kr/p/nN76gh

https://flic.kr/p/nMYFc8

Will be playing for a bit now, and will also take screenshots to post here. So if you have any questions, ask away as I'll be in front of my computer playing foor the next hour!

Pardon the double post!! But here you go as promised.

Early game impressions:

Alright so first things first, let's take something out of the way, EVERYTHING has english subs, cutscenes, gameplay, item descriptions, etc, the audio is in Japanese.

Even the digital manual is all in english:

https://flic.kr/p/nvMN7Y

Game looks SOLID on the vita. Starting with the cutscenes at native res (seeing them in motion is just awesome):

https://flic.kr/p/nvMwvX

Conversations between characters too (girl's got some spunk lol):

Those look amazing on the OLED, and the animation put into them is really great. Visuals are nice and crisp, colors stand out really well.

In game tutorials are nice and clear as you can see:

And again, visuals are pretty colorful.

Parakeetman has posted plenty of videos that cover what gameplay is like, so I'll skip that. I'll answer the question in everyone's mind. HOW IS THE SUB?

Well, yes, it does have typos. Yes, it does have spelling mistakes. Now what I've noticed so far is that for skills and tutorials, the subtitles are actually pretty good, everything is explained thoroughly and it all makes sense.

How about the convos between the characters? It is definitely not as bad as everyone thought it was going to be. I for one thought that it would be a miserable sub. It's not. It does have a few typos like I said, but nothing major. Characters have their own personalities, and the subs reflect those pretty well, they aren't just robots (you can even see it in one of my screenshots aha).

Again, these are my early impressions, I will be posting more soon!

Yeah, I assumed it did from the start, but I just tried it right now anyway and it didn't work. So if you want to download the DLC you will need an Asian account.

WiseWarrior

Neo Member
I just started but am already rather overwhelmed at all the available skills, and don't really know which to choose from. I plan on using dual swords. Anyone have some tips on skills to choose?

Parakeetman

I just started but am already rather overwhelmed at all the available skills, and don't really know which to choose from. I plan on using dual swords. Anyone have some tips on skills to choose?

For early on using a sword and shield is a pretty good choice. Due to he defensive boost you will get. Basically you will go through a lot of the weapons to unlock as many of the skills as possible. But dont go spending all your points each time. When you unlock a new section look at the skills and pick and choose what you want to use.

Parakeetman

Pardon the double post!! But here you go as promised.

Early game impressions:

Alright so first things first, let's take something out of the way, EVERYTHING has english subs, cutscenes, gameplay, item descriptions, etc, the audio is in Japanese.

Even the digital manual is all in english:

Game looks SOLID on the vita. Starting with the cutscenes at native res (seeing them in motion is just awesome):

Conversations between characters too (girl's got some spunk lol):

Those look amazing on the OLED, and the animation put into them is really great. Visuals are nice and crisp, colors stand out really well.

In game tutorials are nice and clear as you can see:

And again, visuals are pretty colorful.

Parakeetman has posted plenty of videos that cover what gameplay is like, so I'll skip that. I'll answer the question in everyone's mind. HOW IS THE SUB?

Well, yes, it does have typos. Yes, it does have spelling mistakes. Now what I've noticed so far is that for skills and tutorials, the subtitles are actually pretty good, everything is explained thoroughly and it all makes sense.

How about the convos between the characters? It is definitely not as bad as everyone thought it was going to be. I for one thought that it would be a miserable sub. It's not. It does have a few typos like I said, but nothing major. Characters have their own personalities, and the subs reflect those pretty well, they aren't just robots (you can even see it in one of my screenshots aha).

Again, these are my early impressions, I will be posting more soon!

Very cool glad to hear you got the game and are spending time with it, looking forward to hear more of your impressions when you get in more game time.

MSMrRound

My MC seems to level up pretty slowly...been doing a bit of running around for map data. Any recommended areas/ doable Hallow Fragment dungeons that a level 105 Kirito can do?

Btw, how high does that Approval Rank go up to?

Parakeetman

My MC seems to level up pretty slowly...been doing a bit of running around for map data. Any recommended areas/ doable Hallow Fragment dungeons that a level 105 Kirito can do?

Btw, how high does that Approval Rank go up to?

There should be 5 levels.

Highly suggest trying to get the hit rating 100% skill since that will allow you to take on higher level enemies without missing attacks. Since in this game the higher the level the enemy is to yourself the higher your chance to miss goes. So having that skill is crucial to leveling up. Also the EXP up skill for yourself using that at the start helps you earn a bit more. This game leveling can take a little time, but if you want to rush it a bit more you will have to get that hit up 100% and go constantly fight stuff higher than yourself. Basically try to wander around the hollow area till you find a zone that you feel is compatible to what you expect from battle time in + exp gain. Also look for the warp points as it will make things a lot easier. The bosses of course do net you a lot of good exp and you get treasure that will help out greatly also.

I cant turn on my game at the moment, but look for a skill called perfection style. Thats the 100% hit rating one. Its a passive skill path which is unlocked from skilling up the rapier. That skill is a MUST HAVE. Seriously. As there is no way to normally fight higher level bosses without putting yourself a huge risk by missing a lot of attacks.

Nice impression there names2hard4you, and I agree that moving further in the game the translation gets better, and the message still gets across. You got the reversible cover too which is nice :D

I'm now in the Hollow Area and there is a Hollow Mission where you have to kill 4 of these plant things but not kill the bugs around it. If I use the triangle button cast to lure the plant over it will also lure one or two of the bugs over. Any idea how to cancel out of battle once the plant is killed? Because once it dies the target will switch to the bug(s) and my partner will end up killing it if I am not moving around. And I can't shake off the bug either so it keeps following me around. :(

MSMrRound

The 100% hit is a passive skill? Wow.

Thanks for the recommendation. Gonna go and equip a rapier now.

Yea, the misses were wiping me out whenever I get mass mob+poison/bleed.

Parakeetman

The 100% hit is a passive skill? Wow.

Thanks for the recommendation. Gonna go and equip a rapier now.

Yea, the misses were wiping me out whenever I get mass mob+poison/bleed.

They call it passive but its a skill that needs to be activated and runs on a timer. I think they just worded it wrong. Its in a connected category to the rapier. There is no actual real passive skills in this game I do believe.
To deal with status ailments you will want to go get the "passive" skills from the mace tree. As there is status recovery type of skills in there. You will really need those status recovery skills from the mace tree as the bleed / poison / paralyze only get worse the further you go into the game. lol Dont go spending all the skill points on every single weapon skill either. As will leave you empty for the passive ones which are far more important initially but those too read the descs and grab what you think will be useful to your playstyle.

The damage output isnt as high on the rapier so you will really need to try and work well with your partner to constantly link skills together or command the partner to do their sword skill.

For those who want to go into the 2H Sword tree you will need to 1000 point the 1HS. For the Katana its 1000 pointing the Curved sword.

Nice impression there names2hard4you, and I agree that moving further in the game the translation gets better, and the message still gets across. You got the reversible cover too which is nice :D

I'm now in the Hollow Area and there is a Hollow Mission where you have to kill 4 of these plant things but not kill the bugs around it. If I use the triangle button cast to lure the plant over it will also lure one or two of the bugs over. Any idea how to cancel out of battle once the plant is killed? Because once it dies the target will switch to the bug(s) and my partner will end up killing it if I am not moving around. And I can't shake off the bug either so it keeps following me around. :(

Yeah thats another one of the poorly designed missions. Truthfully to do that one easier you might want to get the 2H Axe and you can find one from a chest guarded by a minotaur boss somewhere in that forest zone shouldnt be too hard to find. Not that particular zone you are in, but there is a huge minotaur boss guarding a chest and it will contain a 2H Axe. That and you should go solo as the AI isnt smart enough to not attack the bugs. Breaking off of combat I think is switching targets then with the directional pad then pressing X or something. Cant remember exactly you might have to check the digital manual.

One other good thing to know is thankfully it seems like if the AI gets themselves killed in the field it doesnt count against that conquest chart where it shows the general level spread and # of dead.

Also if an enemy or boss linked to a chest goes and chases other player NPCs when they try to escape it will mess up the flag for unlocking said chest as you need to kill everything to open it. You are better off leaving the zone to reset the position then just fight them all again then hope for a respawn as sometimes even that doesnt work. Plus takes a while. The enemies dont seem to return to the spawn point on their own if they leave it.

Top Bottom