• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song |OT| - " "

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
NMlcGhc.png

P2yqzo7.png

RrLp2LL.png

Title: Sword Art Online - Lost Song
Platform: PlayStation 3 - PlayStation VITA
Developer: Artdink
Publisher: Bandai Namco
Genre: Action RPG
Players: 1 (1-16 Online)
*16 = In game lobby, In game = 4, Unsure about PVP
Price:
PS3 - 7,120 JPY + Tax
PSV - 6,170 JPY + Tax
PSV LE - 9,980 JPY + Tax
Release Date: Japan - March 26th 2015
Asia - May 2015
Age Rating: CERO C (15 and up)

4CGyguE.png

Having arrived at the floating city of Line, Kirito and the other members of his party encounter a guild by the name of “Shamrock” as they go about clearing a set of new quests that have gone online. As a guild composed of veteran players across myriad races, in the world of Alfheim Online, Shamrock is a guild that people can’t help but notice.

Arguably the most conspicuous of Shamrock’s members is Professor Sharvin Nanairo, who’s in reality a petite girl. Nevertheless, her looks are deceiving. An alumni of MIT, she’s appeared in the news a lot in recent times as genius girl wonder scientist and is conducting research on virtual societies formed within networks. Put simply, if Akihiko Kayaba, also known as Heathcliff, is the darkness belying the world of Alfheim Online, then Rainbow Arshavin is its light.

Indeed, it’s by meeting her that Kirito and company’s next great adventure is put into motion. Who’s to say what impact the genius scientist will have on their lives after everything is said and done?

Thanks to Gematsu for the Story information

iGm3wTb.png

• Full freedom of flight in the outdoor world area. Able to switch between air / ground combat on the fly.
  • Action based combat with standard / strong attack & skills attached to mapped buttons on the controller.
  • Easy to use Melee / Magic system. By sheathing your weapon the player is able to cast spells that have been mapped to buttons on the controller.
  • Able to use other characters besides Kirito as the main player character when chosing your party setup at the Inn.
  • Create your own personal avatar from a selection of 9 different races in the ALO world. Though your character will still be referred to Kirito in the story.
  • Co-op Multiplayer via infrastructure or adhoc. 4 players in a mission and up to 16 in the party lobby.
  • Gathering materials for upgrading weapons is possible in single player, but getting more rare resources is easier when playing co-op multiplayer.
  • Free content update slated for the end of May which will include, PVP Multiplayer, New Quests, New Boss, New Character
  • Yuuki, Agil, Sakuya, Alisia Rue are all playable characters.
  • Character combinations will trigger events. (party combinations)

fuB9foL.png

• Kirito
  • Asuna
  • Yui
  • Leefa
  • Lisbeth
  • Silica
  • Sinon
  • Strea
  • Philia
  • Argo
  • Yuuki
  • Kline
  • Agil
  • Sakuya
  • Alisia Rue
  • Seven
  • Rain
  • Smeragi

fstWxOo.png

Usable weapons are now separated by character race in this game. Info on which race can use what / magic types look at the Race section below.
  • One-handed Sword
  • Dual Swords
  • Rapier
  • Dagger
  • One-handed Club
  • Two-handed Sword
  • Two-handed Axe
  • Katana
  • Spear
  • Knuckles
  • Bow

ibYcKHt.png

iFAAlcP.jpg

The 9 playable race types that you will be able to customize your character with after progressing in the story? (am not there yet) Though you will still be referred to as Kirito during story sequences. Each race has its own pre-set weapon / magic types and some come with their own special racial skill.
  • Salamander - 1H Sword, 2H Sword, Knuckles, Fire Magic
  • Sylph - Rapier, Dagger, Bow, Wind Magic
  • Undine - 1H Sword, 1H Mace, Bow, Water Magic, Healing Magic
  • Cait Sith - Knuckle, Dagger, Bow, Beast Tamer
  • Leprechaun - Spear, 1H Mace, 2H Axe, Support Spells
  • Gnome - 2H Axe, Knuckles, 2H Sword, Earth Magic
  • Spriggan - 1H Sword, 1H Mace, Dagger, Debuff Spells, Special Skills
  • Imp - Katana, 1H Sword, 1H Mace, Dark Magic
  • Pooka - 1H Mace, Dagger, Bow, Song Power

2jeY3Op.png

xMf8cXF.png

3Noft0I.png

Q: Will this game be localized?
A: Currently from what we know the Asian version of the game will have "English Subtitles" so with that in mind and if things are the same as Hollow Fragment, we can expect an announcement for the Western version eventually. Bandai Namco has filed for a trademark for the game in the West. So with that in mind most likely will come out in the US / EU also.

Q: I want a physical copy that has English localization, should I just buy the Asian version?
A: Since at the moment we do not have a release date for the West, by all means feel free to import it when its released. That and we are unsure if the West will get physical copies or if it will be digital only.

Q: Is this game JP voice w subtitled or English dubbed?
A: The game is currently only JP voices with subtitles. Do not believe the Asian version will be dubbed in English either. Would not be surprised if the US version does not get dubbed either.

Q: Will the localization in this game be poorly done like Hollow Fragment?
A: From what I understand is that Bandai Namco had commented that they will be doing a better localization job this time around. So everyone who is looking to get the Asian version can hope that they will keep their word with that.
adyBoP2.png

Q: Is the flying mechanic hard to control?
A: Not really, once you understand the basic of the controls its pretty easy and becomes second nature.[/url]

Q: I have not seen the anime / am unfamiliar with the series. Should I still buy this game?
A: It depends if you do not mind showing up "in the middle" of a story or not know the backstory to the current setting of the game itself. Though for the most you should be ok.

Q: If I did not enjoy the anime would, I like this game?
A: Truthfully, if you were not interested in the anime and / or disliked it I would suggest against buying this game. Unless you don't mind ignoring all the story bits, character interaction and just want a unique Action RPG to play. As its not many titles that allow the player to fly around freely.

Q: I enjoyed the anime, would I like this game?
A: This game follows its own unique storyline that takes place after the events in the first Sword Art Online. While not 100% sure, it seems that this story is related to the incidents of Hollow Fragment and takes place after it. Though there will be some things that those who are familiar with the Hollow Fragment story, will notice do not exactly match up.

Q: Is there online multiplayer?
A: This game does have co-op play which supports online and ad-hoc. While the back of the box lists 1-16, that is just for the player lobby before going on missions. Missions will be up to 4 players in a party.

Q: Do I need to have played Hollow Fragment to enjoy this game?
A: While there are some characters that are tied in to Hollow Fragment, Lost Song is not a sequel to Hollow Fragment. The producer of Hollow Fragment has basically said that also.

Q: Will this game have more content added via update patch like Hollow Fragment?
A:It seems like it considering PVP is slated to be added in late May. Also extra missions / boss / another character.[/QUOTE]

oBTcGI0.png

God Eater 2: Rage Burst collaboration costumes for Kirito (Julius Visconti) and Asuna (Alisa Illinichina Amiella). DLC code will be in the April 23rd issue of Dengeki Playstation. Click on the left or right thumbnail for slightly larger image.

6z7gg6e.png

Some translated information w/ screens at Shonengamez.
SAO related news roundup at Gematsu.
Official Japanese Game Manual PDF download.
*Will include resources here as they appear.

j4eiRdC.png

AmiAmi
Nippon-Yasan
CD Japan
HMV Japan
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are just the most common ones members frequently speak of when it comes to online import shops and these links are for the convenience of the members who are still interested in importing the Japanese version of the game. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

5r1osli.png

Special thanks to Bandai Namco and the people behind the official Sword Art Online: Lost Song HP for the resources which makes up a good number of the edited graphics here.

Special thanks to Deviant Art user - darkblackswords for having made the font used in the OT.
(link removed since it seems like deviant art is a blocked site) anyways do a search for darkblackswords if you want to find the resource mats and give the guy thanks if you do use them! While am not a member of Deviant Art so can't send him a message, would really like to say thank you again if he reads GAF for such an awesome job with these resources.

Parakeetman

upAbyPb.png

The developers behind this game is not the same devs that did Hollow Fragment (PSV), that would be Aquria who was also responsible for Infinity Moment on the PSP. The studio that developed this game was Artdink who are pretty well known for their Macross games on the PSP / PS3. Also the PSP Gundam Battle series Chronicle / Universe / Royale. Also their older niche games.
TFST8Gn.jpg

*some examples from my collection

Reason most def why they were chosen was due to the fact they are one of the few companies that can actually deal with creating a game where combat takes place in both ground and air, allowing for switching between the two on the fly. SAO:LS is most def based off of the Macross 30 engine that they used on the PS3 after having some game time with SAO:LS. The controls and even down to how your party is set to 3 members in SP. (Player + 2 AI partners) Watch the links below for some Macross 30 example footage.

Macross 30 Example Footage 1
Macross 30 Example Footage 2
Macross 30 Example Footage 3

The three basic movement modes in the game is literally the following
  • Flight = Fighter Mode
  • Hover = GERWALK Mode
  • Ground = Battroid Mode

One thing I will say about the game is for those who pick up the PS3 version, do not expect the graphics to be magically better than the Vitas. As the enviro in general is quite low quality but am sure that is more to make sure the Vita can handle it as the PS3 Macross 30 game did look a bit better.

The controls are pretty good though and easy to learn. Just as I thought they are using the same engine as the Macross 30 one same goes for the controls and other whatnots. But things feel better with the controls in this game in general. So there are some slight improvements made I think. Though its too bad the enviros at the moment seem to be a bit low in the visuals department when outside. Have not gone to a dungeon yet.

Combat is fairly simple for the time being with normal and heavy attack. Then the different skills that can be mapped to button combinations on top of the spells which can be used when your weapon is sheathed. Now it seems what weapons you can use is based on the race selected so no longer are you able to use everything like how you were in Hollow Fragment.

To enjoy this title pretty much forget everything you knew about Hollow Fragment and just enjoy Lost Song for what it is presenting you with. If you try to compare it to Hollow Fragment combat / gameplay wise the chances of being disappointed is high.

Am sure Ill have a good time with this title and with all the characters you can play as should be a good time!

CISphil

Neo Member
Why do they have elf ears? I watched to episode 14 to play the first game
and then didn't even bother
. I don't care to watch the series any further but I'm curious.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
saving space JIC

One thing I will say about the game is for those who pick up the PS3 version, do not expect the graphics to be magically better than the Vitas. As the enviro in general is quite low quality but am sure that is more to make sure the Vita can handle it as the PS3 Macross 30 game did look a bit better.

The controls are pretty good though and easy to learn. Just as I thought they are using the same engine as the Macross 30 one same goes for the controls and other whatnots. But things feel better with the controls in this game in general. So there are some slight improvements made I think. Though its too bad the enviros at the moment seem to be a bit low in the visuals department when outside. Have not gone to a dungeon yet.

Combat is fairly simple for the time being with normal and heavy attack. Then the different skills that can be mapped to button combinations on top of the spells which can be used when your weapon is sheathed. Now it seems what weapons you can use is based on the race selected so no longer are you able to use everything like how you were in Hollow Fragment.

To enjoy this title pretty much forget everything you knew about Hollow Fragment and just enjoy Lost Song for what it is presenting you with. If you try to compare it to Hollow Fragment combat / gameplay wise the chances of being disappointed is high.

Am sure Ill have a good time with this title and with all the characters you can play as should be a good time!
Didn't the PS3 version look better/a bit more detailed on the screenshots?
Was a while since I've seen those, so I might be imagining things.

Will pick the up the ps3 version today, but probably won't play it until I'm done with Bloodborne.

Parakeetman

Didn't the PS3 version look better/a bit more detailed on the screenshots?
Was a while since I've seen those, so I might be imagining things.

Will pick the up the ps3 version today, but probably won't play it until I'm done with Bloodborne.

Its the enviro am talking about, as its pretty barren but that was expected. I have the PS3 version and took a look at it last night to check some info on the game. Telling folks ahead of time since these days people always seem to have the most unrealistic expectation about things then just spend the rest of the time constantly whining. As right away when I saw how it looked most def some people will freak out over it.

Why do they have elf ears? I watched to episode 14 to play the first game
and then didn't even bother
. I don't care to watch the series any further but I'm curious.

Different game world. If you had watched past Ep 14 that story arc goes into ALO.

Hikami

Sweet, still playing Hollow Fragment (lol) but I've got time to finish it til the English version of Lost Song decides to come out.
Gonna be in this thread anyway, excited to see impressions on this.

First thing, are the races gender locked? I must know

Parakeetman

Sweet, still playing Hollow Fragment (lol) but I've got time to finish it til the English version of Lost Song decides to come out.
Gonna be in this thread anyway, excited to see impressions on this.

First thing, are the races gender locked? I must know

I still need to make my way to the part of the game that will allow customization, since am guessing that will become unlocked later. Currently it is not unlocked from the start it seems.

Parakeetman

Oh I see. Guess that explains how the series managed to keep going after that point. But I digress, apologies to the OP.

This game most likely disregards that whole story arc anyways, so its not that it really matters. Seems to be going loosely off of the Hollow Fragment one instead.

When you told me the OT wasn't gonna be good because you had no resources, I thought it was gonna be a short one, but here it is! You did a great job on it, so props for that! You provided tons of great info.

Added to my subs obviously, I will be following this thread closely until the day my Asian copy ships. :D

Parakeetman

When you told me the OT wasn't gonna be good because you had no resources, I thought it was gonna be a short one, but here it is! You did a great job on it, so props for that. Added to my subs obviously, I will be following this thread closely until the day my Asian copy ships.

Thanks man!

Its pretty bad when had to get a bunch of stuff from non official sources D: On top of I seriously find it strange that the OHP does not even talk about the different weapon types that much or at all really.

Seems like they hardly put any effort into the main HP and such for whatever reason for information and such that is. Wonder if its due to a different team did the OHP this time around?

Thanks man!

Its pretty bad when had to get a bunch of stuff from non official sources D: On top of I seriously find it strange that the OHP does not even talk about the different weapon types that much or at all really.

Seems like they hardly put any effort into the main HP and such for whatever reason for information and such that is.
I too find that very strange, I feel like they should be pumping info out since the show isn't even airing at the moment or anything like that. You would think they would give out information, get folks excited about the game and whatnot. I feel like I don't know much about the game outside of the scattered tidbits of info that they released. Now, you did a great job gathering all of those up here, that must not have been an easy feat.

Parakeetman

so will we get to sleep with the characters again?

That whole relationship system is not in this game as its done by a totally different team. And truthfully it didnt add anything to the previous title besides wasted everyones time lol.

This time around character events are triggered by party combinations.

Parakeetman

This uses the Macross 30 engine? Huh.

Yeah from what Ive played so far this most def is a modified engine and Id imagine why too that they went with the PS3 platform to allow for Artdink to push out a product as soon as possible without too much extra work. Vs if they had to try and get it running and updated graphically for the PS4.

Since they have experience with working on lower specs such as the PSP pushing the engine backwards onto the Vita am sure was not that much of a problem for them and does seem that the PSV was the main platform judging how the PS3 version looks.

Pretty smart choice for a dev house though since these guys know what they are doing with the engine and is leagues better than grabbing some other random studio and telling them to make a "flying" game lol

Excellent OT as always Parakeetman.
Will be double dipping the Asian version.

Thanks!

What are your thoughts on the game thus far? Also, how does the lack of character progression work, is upgrading/buying gear all we can do now? Do enemies no longer have levels if we don't also?

Parakeetman, I hate you. You made me want to play Super Robot Wars sooner than later.

I'm trying to not-procrastinate in Disgaea 4 Returns, goddamnit.

Stuart444

North America when (still have yet to start Hollow Fragment lol)

Later this year most likely. Play Hollow Fragment in the mean time :p

When you told me the OT wasn't gonna be good because you had no resources, I thought it was gonna be a short one, but here it is! You did a great job on it, so props for that! You provided tons of great info.

Added to my subs obviously, I will be following this thread closely until the day my Asian copy ships. :D

Same, I didn't expect the OT to be so good/long. It's a great OT :D. And yeah, lots of nice info.

Subbed!

My Vita LE should be here by Tuesday according to Fed EX's tracking website.

edit: I just noticed the OT title (clicked the link in the HF OT so didn't even look at the thread title lol)

"Listen to my song" Works well enough I guess.

Parakeetman

Parakeetman, I hate you. You made me want to play Super Robot Wars sooner than later.

I'm trying to not-procrastinate in Disgaea 4 Returns, goddamnit.

But Disgaea 5 comes out today too! :D

Later this year most likely. Play Hollow Fragment in the mean time :p

Same, I didn't expect the OT to be so good/long. It's a great OT :D. And yeah, lots of nice info.

Subbed!

My Vita LE should be here by Tuesday according to Fed EX's tracking website.

edit: I just noticed the OT title (clicked the link in the HF OT so didn't even look at the thread title lol)

"Listen to my song" Works well enough I guess.

Its more of a joke the fact the devs worked on Macross games + music is a theme in this game too.

Parakeetman

What are your thoughts on the game thus far? Also, how does the lack of character progression work, is upgrading/buying gear all we can do now? Do enemies no longer have levels if we don't also?

Character progression is not by standard levels, but it seems the characters have an experience bar for their "Race" but am really unsure of what that actually does / how the progression with it works.

Progression bars in game
  • Race Progression
  • Weapon Progression
  • Skill Progression (Sword / Magic)
Enemies still do have Lvs to them guess its the way to give the players an idea of how strong something is.

Other thoughts had posted this in the 2nd post in the OT

With weapons and such seems like you can find them in the field, but they come unidentified. Lisbeths shop is not open yet, but do reckon thats where you go to get them identified and such. Same for the upgrades. When you start out all you really have access too is the item shop and inn where you can save / store stuff / rearrange your party.

Will hop back in the game for a little while, but then will get some rest. Been up for about 28 Hrs taking care of all sorts of stuff.

Stuart444

But Disgaea 5 comes out today too! :D

Its more of a joke the fact the devs worked on Macross games + music is a theme in this game too.

I don't know much about Macross games haha.

... D5 is out in Japan today? Man, I've not paid much attention unless it's loc news so didn't know that. (Or I forget... lol)

Parakeetman

I don't know much about Macross games haha.

... D5 is out in Japan today? Man, I've not paid much attention unless it's loc news so didn't know that. (Or I forget... lol)

Yeah that comes out today too. For whatever reason Amazon sends me the rest of my shit BB LE + PSV this game but somehow forgets my Disgaea 5 first print. Its arriving tomorrow though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd love to see a performance comparison. HF fragment having pretty bad problems in town and in some areas is what made me get the ps3 version of LS. :/

Parakeetman

I'd love to see a performance comparison. HF fragment having pretty bad problems in town and in some areas is what made me get the ps3 version of LS. :/

That was more due to it still having the old PSP code in there on top of basically overloading the town with way too many NPCs that the engine was not really suited to handle.

Parakeetman

That title is a reference to iteza gogo kuji don't be late, right?

I had forgotten about that one. Which actually would have fit better considering the 2 singers are females.

Its actually a reference to an older series Macross 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_EJF5K5Q-o

So is this more or less the ALfheim version of the first game?

Pretty much yes. Though this timeline still seems to have tossed out everything from Ep 14 and I think is going off the HF timeline.

Cornbread78

Oh man, in the last month I have watched both seasons of SAO and now started the first Vita game, I hope this comes to NA soon..

Btw, great job on the OT, I'll be a regular in the NA one, lol.

Are the english subtitles only for the cutscenes/story or do they cover mission info? Like would I be able to play through this if I don't know japanese and just do guesswork on what weapon and item is what?

_woLf

I was burned so hard by Hollow Fragment. That game just played really bad imo and the localization could not get any worse....so I will be waiting for a sale on this one, if it ever makes it over here.

Parakeetman

Can Vita player play online with PS3?

That Im actually not sure about. Would help if there was actually a manual with the PS3 version. Have not opened the Vita ver yet. Though I would imagine the Vita ver would come with the digital manual.

Are the english subtitles only for the cutscenes/story or do they cover mission info? Like would I be able to play through this if I don't know japanese and just do guesswork on what weapon and item is what?

Japanese games almost never have "English" subtitles.

You would have to wait for the Asian version if you wanted to play with Eng subs.

You can do guess work and such, it just depends on how adept you are at playing import titles.

Japanese games almost never have "English" subtitles.

You would have to wait for the Asian version if you wanted to play with Eng subs.

You can do guess work and such, it just depends on how adept you are at playing import titles.

Woops. I mixed up the JP release with the Asian release when reading the FAQ in the OP. Ah well. I just finished my second quarter of Japanese class at uni, but I know for sure I wouldn't understand a thing in this game. Just for future reference, did the Asian version of hollow fragment only subtitle the voicing, or was it basically all English?

Stuart444

Woops. I mixed up the JP release with the Asian release when reading the FAQ in the OP. Ah well. I just finished my second quarter of Japanese class at uni, but I know for sure I wouldn't understand a thing in this game. Just for future reference, did the Asian version of hollow fragment only subtitle the voicing, or was it basically all English?

It was all Engrish. Menus, subtitles for cutscenes/dialogue, etc.

Aru

I was burned so hard by Hollow Fragment. That game just played really bad imo and the localization could not get any worse....so I will be waiting for a sale on this one, if it ever makes it over here.

Yeah. The battle system was promising but sadly the game was overly repetitive and grindy.
10$ or less for this game, for me. Even if it's not the same gameplay at all.

Character progression is not by standard levels, but it seems the characters have an experience bar for their "Race" but am really unsure of what that actually does / how the progression with it works.

Progression bars in game
  • Race Progression
  • Weapon Progression
  • Skill Progression (Sword / Magic)
Enemies still do have Lvs to them guess its the way to give the players an idea of how strong something is.

Other thoughts had posted this in the 2nd post in the OT

With weapons and such seems like you can find them in the field, but they come unidentified. Lisbeths shop is not open yet, but do reckon thats where you go to get them identified and such. Same for the upgrades. When you start out all you really have access too is the item shop and inn where you can save / store stuff / rearrange your party.

Will hop back in the game for a little while, but then will get some rest. Been up for about 28 Hrs taking care of all sorts of stuff.
Interesting. I find it strange how they took away the levels from the player. I like seeing some some sort of progression, a pay off for the things I do, let's put it that way. Regardless, I loved HF so I am all in for LS too aha.

Stuart444

Interesting. I find it strange how they took away the levels from the player. I like seeing some some sort of progression, a pay off for the things I do, let's put it that way. Regardless, I loved HF so I am all in for LS too aha.

Pretty sure in SAO, SAO has levels while ALO doesn't (been a while since I've watched the anime so correct me if I'm wrong) so it's probably to keep the spirit of the anime but at the same time they added levels to monsters purely so players can gauge what enemies/areas they should be in.

All speculation though.

Parakeetman

Pretty sure in SAO, SAO has levels while ALO doesn't (been a while since I've watched the anime so correct me if I'm wrong) so it's probably to keep the spirit of the anime but at the same time they added levels to monsters purely so players can gauge what enemies/areas they should be in.

All speculation though.

Actually no you might be right. Still though it feels odd not having a proper level system guess Ill have to get used to it.

---

On a side note with how weapons are random drops and such plus going out for more materials and whatnots to upgrade the weapons further is quite enjoyable and can see folks having fun in online with that. Plus with all the characters you can use most def you will be going around collecting stuff to upgrade your favorite character and such.

The starting area is still fairly tame but hoping things will get ramped up as I progress more in the game. Am finally up and about again so am progressing a bit more with the title.

Most cash starting out comes from doing the sub-quests and selling duplicate weapons you dont need.

Though its always good to check through the stock first as the weapons have random additional stats with elemental & / or status effects too.

Parakeetman

As long as you play it not expecting HF am sure you will find your own enjoyment with the title. Thats what Im doing here and am enjoying it for what it is.

As long as you play it not expecting HF am sure you will find your own enjoyment with the title. Thats what Im doing here and am enjoying it for what it is.
I'm going in for the characters anyway, that's my main appeal right now since the gameplay is so different. If the gameplay clicks (and I hope it does, just like with HF a few hours in), then even better. Can't wait to play it aha!

Top Bottom