• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Lost Song |OT| - " "

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm going in for the characters anyway, that's my main appeal right now since the gameplay is so different. If the gameplay clicks (and I hope it does, just like with HF a few hours in), then even better. Can't wait to play it aha!

Gameplay isnt too difficult as its all action based and flying is pretty easy once you get used to using the directional pad to switch through the different modes.

Up = Deploy wings / Accelerated flight.

Left = Hover

Down = Retract wings

X once = Jump

X twice = Double Jump

Hold X = Increase Altitude

Double tap X = Decrease Altitude

===

currently uploading 18 mins of random gameplay, had better footage but recording software fucked up losing it all.

Sitrus

Are there more environments in this game other than the green valley and the brown dungeons? They also look somewhat sterile and lifeless.
Are there any other places you can visit?

Parakeetman

Are there more environments in this game other than the green valley and the brown dungeons? They also look somewhat sterile and lifeless.
Are there any other places you can visit?

No everything will be green and brown.

Of course there will be other areas / dungeons.

What we know so far is of the desert area and snow areas outside of the usual green one that was shown off initially.

Though generally the starting area is pretty much sterile and lifeless. lol

Im curious to see if the other areas will actually have other adventurers flying around. Since the engine should be able to handle that.

Just binged on the whole series last week, and really interested in these games (Hollow Fragment too). But I don't own a Vita :/

Any pointers on where to start for someone on a budget? It looks like the Vita game imports (not interested in dubs) are still around $83 usd, and that's a bit pricey imo... If I'm outta luck, that's fine I can save up.

Parakeetman

Just binged on the whole series last week, and really interested in these games (Hollow Fragment too). But I don't own a Vita :/

Any pointers on where to start for someone on a budget? It looks like the Vita game imports (not interested in dubs) are still around $83 usd, and that's a bit pricey imo... If I'm outta luck, that's fine I can save up.

There are no dubs for the series. Or more like the only 2 games that are out. Which is this and Hollow Fragment. Oh yeah forgot about Infinity Moment for the PSP but there is no reason getting that when Hollow Fragment includes all the content from IM + the upgraded game system which is HUGE.

Though Hollow Fragment localization was filled with Engrish due to bandai namco being a bunch of lazyasses with the initial production and just using the Asian script which was garbage.

You could start out on this game if you wanted the go back to Hollow Fragment after / once you get a Vita. Though Id say Hollow Fragment gives a pretty good SAO experience and we have a few members including myself who went over 100 hours with it. Though if you want something now and less confusing to play for new folks this title would be an option.

There are no dubs for the series. Or more like the only 2 games that are out. Which is this and Hollow Fragment.

Though Hollow Fragment localization was filled with Engrish due to bandai namco being a bunch of lazyasses with the initial production and just using the Asian script which was garbage.

Well that's a bit upsetting... so even the western release has/had the bad egrish? Not that it would bother me too much... I don't have very high standards

Sitrus

No everything will be green and brown.

Of course there will be other areas / dungeons.

What we know so far is of the desert area and snow areas outside of the usual green one that was shown off initially.

Though generally the starting area is pretty much sterile and lifeless. lol

Im curious to see if the other areas will actually have other adventurers flying around. Since the engine should be able to handle that.

Nice to know, been wondering it I should buy this game or not, I loved HF and wasted about 140 hours on that game, mostly due to its combat system.
How would you say the combat in this game is? Like Ragnarok Odyssey for example? Is the combat deep or just about mashing to attack? Seen videos, but not sure I like how stiff everything feels.

Parakeetman

Well that's a bit upsetting... so even the western release has/had the bad egrish? Not that it would bother me too much... I don't have very high standards

Most folks got by with it, so just expect to see weird stuff every now and then.

When this game comes out it should be better since BanNam did get burned to hell and back for the horrible localization. Plus it did look pretty bad for them image wise. So with the official statement about improved localization can at least expect a better product.

We will see what kind of script / budget they put to localization once the Asian version comes out in May.

Corgi

Banned
watching Havian's videos... game seems to be a bit chuggy on ps3, or is it his capture kit?

1v1 duels seem kinda neat. Is there any defensive techniques ala parries/counters?

Parakeetman

Nice to know, been wondering it I should buy this game or not, I loved HF and wasted about 140 hours on that game, mostly due to its combat system.
How would you say the combat in this game is? Like Ragnarok Odyssey for example? Is the combat deep or just about mashing to attack? Seen videos, but not sure I like how stiff everything feels.

Yeah unfortunately the combat is not too deep and such so far. You start out with 2 weapon skills per weapon for your race. From there those get stronger the more you use them. More skills are learned from the skill lv with the weapon type, which means killing a lot of stuff. Am not sure about the rest of the skills but Id imagine they are tied to your character race level.

When I say level its more like an actual numerical value that increases the more you use it.

Then in combat there is the usual lock on and dodge / block. Attack when there is an opening / use magic etc.

I fought an enemy higher lv than me and it wasnt too bad. Just takes a while.

More damage for your weapons is all done by just leveling it up at Lisbeths shop which uses resources you found in the world from harvest points / chests / enemy drops.

Though yeah anyways back to the original question again, would not exactly say the combat is too deep yet.

At least there are a good number of different weapons and you can use the other characters when adventuring. Though its not switch on fly in the game world. You need to set who the "Player Character" is in the Inn before heading out.

Parakeetman

watching Havian's videos... game seems to be a bit chuggy on ps3, or is it his capture kit?

1v1 duels seem kinda neat. Is there any defensive techniques ala parries/counters?

Its his capture kit. Game doesnt really lag that much or nothing I consider be worth mentioning. Im even running it on an OG PS3 which actually can have hardware performance issues when compared to the "current" revisions of the consoles when playing certain new games.

There is blocking and dodging, but no counters that Im familiar with, unless there is a sword skill that has it.

Parakeetman

So what's the difference between the western release and the Asian release? Just the convenience of not needing to import it?

Just some very small changes to the initial script, then from what I understand after that its like they said fuck it and left everything else half assed lol.

Also the Asian release had a physical version while the US one of HF was digital only.

If you are in the US do believe the PSV has been going on sale too lately for brand new ones. That or if you can find yourself a PSVTV I "think" the game should work on it. You might have to ask one of the other members here as they might have tried it out on a Western PSVTV.

Reason why Im suggesting the PSVTV is that thing is much much cheaper than getting a PSV if you want to just get it for a single game. Though Id suggest you try to take a look for compatibility list to see what will / wont play on it. As its a bit different in Japan where these days most newer games all work with the PSVTV.

Here you go for a list of PSVTV compat games for the US.

http://vitareviews.net/playstation-tv-compatible-games-north-america/

Stuart444

So what's the difference between the western release and the Asian release? Just the convenience of not needing to import it?

Western script may be somewhat edited and therefore different from the Asian script. Besides that, not needing to import yeah (and if anything goes wrong, support from the western branch of Bandai Namco)

Of course script wise, we won't know much until we get a western release.

Parakeetman

Western script may be somewhat edited and therefore different from the Asian script. Besides that, not needing to import yeah (and if anything goes wrong, support from the western branch of Bandai Namco)

Of course script wise, we won't know much until we get a western release.

I can say this, it should be better than the mess that folks got with Hollow Fragment.

Just some very small changes to the initial script, then from what I understand after that its like they said fuck it and left everything else half assed lol.

Also the Asian release had a physical version while the US one of HF was digital only.

If you are in the US do believe the PSV has been going on sale too lately for brand new ones. That or if you can find yourself a PSVTV I "think" the game should work on it. You might have to ask one of the other members here as they might have tried it out on a Western PSVTV.

Reason why Im suggesting the PSVTV is that thing is much much cheaper than getting a PSV if you want to just get it for a single game. Though Id suggest you try to take a look for compatibility list to see what will / wont play on it. As its a bit different in Japan where these days most newer games all work with the PSVTV.

Here you go for a list of PSVTV compat games for the US.

http://vitareviews.net/playstation-tv-compatible-games-north-america/

Wow! Thanks Parakeetman, you've been great so far! I'll take a look at the PSTV when I get home from work too. I really appreciate the information! Great OT btw; don't think I said that before.

Parakeetman

Wow! Thanks Parakeetman, you've been great so far! I'll take a look at the PSTV when I get home from work too. I really appreciate the information! Great OT btw; don't think I said that before.

Thanks!

No problem, do hope you are able to secure one as the PSVTV is a fantastic little device personally. Only real neck where you will be spending $$$ on is the memory cards. But at least with how cheap the device itself is, the money saved there can go towards a more expensive memory card.

If you got any more questions feel free to stop by anytime.

Corgi

Banned
speaking of vita, any impressions of that here? Don't think i've even seen footage of that version. prerelease footage were mostly ps3?

Parakeetman

speaking of vita, any impressions of that here? Don't think i've even seen footage of that version. prerelease footage were mostly ps3?

I have it, though its not opened yet. As need to progress in the PS3 one to see what else unlocks.

I just realized too that the PS3 / PSV save data might not be compatible with each other. Reason being is did not see any sort of usual "Convert Data" type of option such as with other games like God Eater 2 Rage Burst for example. As all games that have had PSV / PS3 type of save data use had its own conversion option within the game to convert the data to be used with the other system.

So folks thinking of buying both versions Id hold off for the time being. Or more like dont do it. lol

Parakeetman

Not the best footage but some 18 minutes of random gameplay.

Its still potato quality as it just got through processing at youtube.

YT must be getting hammered, shit is still in potato quality mode instead of having processed to the higher quality types wtf.

Hmm something most def must be wrong with YT since its keeping the vid at potato quality... Still is sitting at 360p... Might have to delete it and reupload tomorrow something went wrong with the processing on the YT side.

Parakeetman

flight seems neat. melee combat seems... basic, well at least against these early level mobs.

how's magic? You used it like once.

Kirito isnt really a magic user so the spell isnt all that useful due to how slow it travels. At least the first darkness spell you learn after skilling up a bit anyways. Would have to play as like Asuna or Leefa for better results. Asunas ice magic does a lot of damage actually.

"Even the fastest magic is slower than an anti-materiel rifle’s bullet."

:p

post-11756-gif-HD-High-Quality-Imgur-oMQc.gif

Not the best footage but some 18 minutes of random gameplay..

Looks like fun! Now I really want to try it out :D

Parakeetman

One thing though with the title is that it does have some UI sort of issues with not being well thought out.

Not the best footage but some 18 minutes of random gameplay.

Its still potato quality as it just got through processing at youtube.

YT must be getting hammered, shit is still in potato quality mode instead of having processed to the higher quality types wtf.

Hmm something most def must be wrong with YT since its keeping the vid at potato quality... Still is sitting at 360p... Might have to delete it and reupload tomorrow something went wrong with the processing on the YT side.

Flight looks pretty cool, gameplay looks fast, animations seem a bit stiff, I noticed it specially when you were fighting the level 500 beast thing... and speaking of which I guess I kinda get the enemies being levelled thing, basically it serves as a difficulty meter for the player I guess rather than being an actual numeric thing. A lvl 110 enemy will be stronger than a level 100 one, and so on so forth.

I just a question btw, since there is no levelling up, what is the incentive behind killing mobs now? Do they at least give you drops, such as money or items?

Corgi

Banned
One thing though with the title is that it does have some UI sort of issues with not being well thought out.

played enough to get a basic feel of the game? How are missions structured? Is it typical mmo, kill X mobs to progress/ gather mat/ fight boss etc?

Any dating aspects?

Parakeetman

Flight looks pretty cool, gameplay looks fast, animations seem a bit stiff, I noticed it specially when you were fighting the level 500 beast thing... and speaking of which I guess I kinda get the enemies being levelled thing, basically it serves as a difficulty meter for the player I guess rather than being an actual numeric thing. A lvl 110 enemy will be stronger than a level 100 one, and so on so forth.

I just a question btw, since there is no levelling up, what is the incentive behind killing mobs now? Do they at least give you drops, such as money or items?

The drops from unidentified equipment to weapon upgrade materials.

That and not fighting = not leveling your race and various skills. Since the game is all about how much you use a sword skill / magic.

Issue is that the way MP is treated in the game you hardly get to use sword skills constantly. So that kinda goes against the system in some ways. Its rather odd. But expect a lot of combat.

played enough to get a basic feel of the game? How are missions structured? Is it typical mmo, kill X mobs to progress/ gather mat/ fight boss etc?

Any dating aspects?

Nope thankfully none.

Standard stuff kill X amount of whatever or find X amount of something for the low lv quests. Story progression = new areas opened up. Otherwise all of the dungeons are locked behind doors once you enter them. They should have made the outside of said locations locked at first instead similar to the first dungeon otherwise players waste their time going into them only to figure out pretty much everything is locked initially.

Corgi

Banned
The drops from unidentified equipment to weapon upgrade materials.

That and not fighting = not leveling your race and various skills. Since the game is all about how much you use a sword skill / magic.

Issue is that the way MP is treated in the game you hardly get to use sword skills constantly. So that kinda goes against the system in some ways. Its rather odd. But expect a lot of combat.

Nope thankfully none.

Standard stuff kill X amount of whatever or find X amount of something for the low lv quests. Story progression = new areas opened up. Otherwise all of the dungeons are locked behind doors once you enter them. They should have made the outside of said locations locked at first instead similar to the first dungeon otherwise players waste their time going into them only to figure out pretty much everything is locked initially.

hows party stuff? Any microing, or asking for heals, Switching, all that jazz?

Parakeetman

hows party stuff? Any microing, or asking for heals, Switching, all that jazz?

none this time around for more defined commands and AI acts on their own. Only thing is just basic formation.

Has to do more with Artdink not creating new AI patterns for the game and stuck with the Macross 30 code.

Switch is now a special skill that can ve activated during Union mode. That has the AI moving to the front and doing a special attack

Would you say this is a step back from HF overall? I hate to say this, but to me although some things are cool like the flight and faster combat and whatnot, these seem to have taken a toll on other areas of the game, namely the depth behind the systems that were put in place in the previous game. Of course, this being a different dev and a different SAO game series should justify this, but it's impossible for me not to draw comparisons with our beloved HF.

There's a proper HF sequel in development, if that's what you want.

That said, we don't know anything else about it. Dunno about GGO so I don't know how much different it will be if it's based on that.

There's a proper HF sequel in development, if that's what you want.

That said, we don't know anything else about it. Dunno about GGO so I don't know how much different it will be if it's based on that.
Well yeah Yosuke Futami said that he would do it if the sale numbers were good enough and they were. I personally can't wait to see a Vita only release for it, they were definitely held back by their old code. The HF part in the game showed some improvement over the PSP remastered areas, but I am sure that they could have done so much more... the parity between the two modes would have been too much if they went all out. An HF-like GGO would be very, very interesting indeed.

Parakeetman

Would you say this is a step back from HF overall? I hate to say this, but to me although some things are cool like the flight and faster combat and whatnot, these seem to have taken a toll on other areas of the game, namely the depth behind the systems that were put in place in the previous game. Of course, this being a different dev and a different SAO game series should justify this, but it's impossible for me not to draw comparisons with our beloved HF.

Its a totally different genre outside from the setting so with that in mind they are very very different.

That and Artdink went and used a lot of the macross30 code which i can imagine is from budget and schedule constraints

Einbroch

Banned
That video makes the game look way, way better than HF. I found the gameplay in HF to be slow and incredibly boring. This looks more up my ally.

I just noticed something weird.

From a January article:

The most exciting news, well, at least for PlayStation 4 users, is that Futami mentioned in the interview that he wants to bring the game to the PS4. Eir Aoi, the singer of the game’s theme song, added in that she would also like o see the RPG hit PS4, although no concrete plans were announced.

Just wanted to say to the OP, you do a great job with these threads you do for import games ! I won't be getting this however. Just not a SAO fan.

Its a totally different genre outside from the setting so with that in mind they are very very different.

That and Artdink went and used a lot of the macross30 code which i can imagine is from budget and schedule constraints

I can live with that. I want more Kirito and gang to tide me over until the inevitable SAO season 3 anime.

Parakeetman

I just noticed something weird.

Exophase is showing the trophy list for this game, and the list of platforms shows Vita, PS3, and PS4.
http://www.exophase.com/game/sword-art-online-lost-song-psn/trophies/

Unless its something official wouldnt take it as legit info. Also that interview just stated that he expressed his interest in wanting to do one does not mean they actually will.

Even if they did, the game would need a massive overhaul if they wanted it to actually attract people to buy the title. So if it was going to be done Id see an "expanded" version perhaps which would included all the updated content along side of graphical / gameplay overhauls based on the feedback from the PSV / PS3 versions.

Now thats only IF Bandai wants to use that $$$ to actually fund that, which Id say is a crap shoot 50/50. As they need to make sales with the PSV / PS3.

From what I have seen so far most def they would need to do a lot of work that and am not even sure if Artdink has experience working with the PS4.

Corgi

Banned
with no traditional leveling, how does the skill magic system work? Are those fixed per character/weapon, or can you develop/craft new ones?

Sitrus

Game arrived just today. I have to say, the when the characters speak, they move their mouths in a really creepy way. Especially Lizbeth with her sort of dead eyes xP
And playing the game now, I finally know why the town etc looks so sterile: lack of contrast between highlight and shadows.

Flight mode feels very right, need to hunt down those Macross games it seems.

Parakeetman

Game arrived just today. I have to say, the when the characters speak, they move their mouths in a really creepy way. Especially Lizbeth with her sort of dead eyes xP
And playing the game now, I finally know why the town etc looks so sterile: lack of contrast between highlight and shadows.

Flight mode feels very right, need to hunt down those Macross games it seems.

The PSP ones are way better than Macross 30. But Macross 30 is good for an action rpg macross game.

Had tons of issues with HF and wasn't sure I was gonna pick this up, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Animation is much stronger (HF's run animation was hilariously bad), flying feels great, and I dig how each character plays pretty differently. Sinon is a blast with her bow.

Overall pacing seems better too. Glad I grabbed this.

Top Bottom