• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

DaBuddaDa

8 posts back.

Review from Arthur Gies and the newly launched The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/21/2813673/syndicate-review

Woah, I had no idea they were already doing stuff for Vox. Supremely disappointing to see they've resorted to the 10-point-with-halves scale, though.

Good respective deity that site looks awful.

I agree, it looks designed to be a poor approximation of a tacky print magazine.

Jeff Gerstmann said:
Even the default pistol is fun to fire in Syndicate, largely because when you start to run, your agent holds the pistol out at a slight angle and, unlike the other weapons in the game, you can fire that pistol while you're still running, giving it that Hong Kong action cinema style that, even after all these years, still makes you feel like you're a bad dude.

Oh wow why didn't I try that in the demo?!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well fuck it, I dove in. I know game studios can't be perpetually bound to have the same level of quality throughout their existence...BUT I really liked riddick and I like what little I've seen of the game.

Now to figure out what people were talking about when they said "minor pc defects" ._.

Really nice to read that review from Jeff. His opinions on the co-op and how rewarding it can be mirrors what I experienced with the demo. I'm hoping they'll play some Syndicate co-op for this weeks TNT.

aegies said:
But there’s not much time to consider elements like the masked propaganda posters straight out of They Live, as Syndicate keeps you interacting with the world constantly.

Is this where you can use the DART vision to see posters that weren't there, shown also in the Gametrailers review (2:10)?

icgojNUsEQZ5h.jpg
Oh cool :)

frontieruk

Kotaku reviewer likes it and also says it took 15 hours on normal to beat the single player. She must have died a lot :).

http://kotaku.com/5884812/syndicate-the-kotaku-review

Has anyone here on gaf beaten it yet?

Really disappointed with the ending :-/ and oh my respective deity the difficulty! I've never wanted to quit a game more! some of the boss battles are just a chore others are nigh on impossible, I'm looking forward to watching play throughs on hard!

Thanks to everyone who have posted reviews they are all in the OP.

I had a blast with the demo, however, at only 6hrs for the SP Campaign, 9 coop maps, and no real idea of post launch support this is a $40 or less title for me. :(

Really disappointed with the ending :-/ and oh my respective deity the difficulty! I've never wanted to quit a game more! some of the boss battles are just a chore others are nigh on impossible, I'm looking forward to watching play throughs on hard!

Hmm I may be playing this one on easy for the first time through.

HoosTrax

I'd say 360/ps3 if you intend to play co-op, I've a feeling the PC scene is going to be quiet on this one.
I'm not sure how the PR blitz for this game has been going as far as the mainstream gaming sites, but it's been almost non-existent on both RPS and PCG. The lack of a PC demo does not help.

Yeah I watched the first boss fight in a video and he seemed way too much like a bullet sponge. My plan was to start on hard, but I may have to reconsider it if the bosses are that annoying. Do you know if the difficulty can be changed mid-game?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I think we could easily get 4 pc-gaffers together for a coop run.

I'll be getting this next week on PC assuming there aren't any real graphical issues. Even with most Starbreeze's old talent gone I can't wait to try it out especially after the demo.

5/5 from Jeff at GB? Well color me excited. My tastes don’t always perfectly align with his, but I do trust his opinion. Can’t wait to get home from work to check it out!

frontieruk

I think we could easily get 4 pc-gaffers together for a coop run.

Well I'm there, I'll be the one screaming REEEEEBOOOOOOT!
;)

I'll be getting this next week on PC assuming there aren't any real graphical issues. Even with most Starbreeze's old talent gone I can't wait to try it out especially after the demo.

I cleared my GFX drivers and reinstalled and it's all good, a lot sharper than the PS360 as are the controls with the kb/m .

d00d3n

I bought the game to support the developer (three past games have been brilliant, local developer in my country) despite the lackluster reception.

I have enjoyed the game so far, but it does seem awfully mediocre for a Starbreeze game. The only aspect that is obviously great is the effort to make the player character physically present in the world (visible legs, hand animations that react to surroundings, weighty movement). Visual design is also kind of interesting.
The game is extremely linear, has no stealth and is too hard at the normal difficulty setting. There is no pre engagement tactical thinking in the game, with all enemies being scripted to attack you or magnetically drawn to you as you enter a new room. Strategy boils down to choice of weapon, positioning, activating bullet time and using the breach special abilities.
There is no hub world, no conversation trees and no optional tasks. Atmosphere is nice, but there is never really a reason to explore the surroundings, and the pace is too frantic for you to want to anyway. I would not recommend the game to a non Starbreeze fan.
(Have not played coop, not my cup of tea)

lucius

7.5 from IGN, said it had a forgettable single player but were positive about co-op. I might pick it up when it price drops, single player is important to me.

Dave1988

Allright. I took the liberty of setting up a PSN chat and a GAF Syndicate for co-op.

If anyone wants to join, send me a friend request. (PSN ID = Dave1988).

cackhyena

Man, reading Gieis' review and then going to Gerstmann's...

Preference I suppose, but I find Gies' writing to be much more palatable.

Ok, I'm buying this game right now!

I'm a sucker for cyberpunk (and anything that resembles Ghost in the Shell).

Xbox 360 gamertag: drifter444

ctrayne

Got this for cheap since I had Amazon credit. Have only dabbled for a few seconds since I had to run.

jim-jam and company will be pleased - this game not only has gamepad support, but it's got that sweet on-the-fly UI swapping if you unplug the controller from the PC.

Special J

Banned
lolwut why are people hating on the site layout... i think its good that they're trying to distinguish themselves. the site is made to be viewed on vertical viewing. its an attempt at trying to be ahead of the curve because this layout should look great on say a tablet.

Top Bottom