• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

Saty

Basically the reviews agree that the coop carries the weight of the game and if there's any to play it, that's the one.
SP is short and forgettable.

Qwomo

Was this game marketed as a co-op game first and singleplayer game second?

Why? That's pretty much standard length for a single-player FPS campaign.
I guess, but I was hoping this game would be more than your run-of-the-mill FPS. I haven't played a game that short in a while, and for good reason.

I'm a bit surprised about the negativity towards the single player campaign. I've watched the first couple of hours and it looked really interesting with good combat, varying environments and some interesting story sequences. I guess it must get worse later on.

frontieruk

IGN 7.5

CLOSING COMMENTS
Syndicate hints at a fantastic puzzle meta-game, but relies on bullets flying to get through every level. Where the story walks a familiar road, the cooperative campaign’s tough-but-fun arcade action makes up for the missteps. Though uneven, Syndicate remains a good shooter full of incomplete great ideas. Grabbing three friends and battling for corporate supremacy online is well worth your time, but don’t expect to be wowed by playing alone.

Gamespy

As a cross-platform game Syndicate doesn't exactly push the limits of PC hardware, but man does Starbreeze love that bloom lightning. The whole design theme of some levels made it feel like I was on the bridge of J.J. Abrams' Enterprise. Fortunately that didn't have an impact on performance, and Syndicate ran at a smooth and steady 60fps on my moderately powered PC even when hordes of mindless enemies where on the screen.

But the single-player campaign is only one aspect of Syndicate -- the four-player co-op portion (with its separate campaign) could still make it stand out. I'll chime in on that, and slap on my final score, later today.

ctrayne

I'm a bit surprised about the negativity towards the single player campaign. I've watched the first couple of hours and it looked really interesting with good combat, varying environments and some interesting story sequences. I guess it must get worse later on.

Or "professional" reviewers are just whiny. :)

So it seems that a reinvention of a cult classic doesn´t end up better than a pretty forgetable and generic experience in singleplayer? You could see it coming, but still had hopes that Starbreeze would have hidden something special under all that awesome art. It´s shame they didn´t. If I hade absolutely nothing else to play it could be fun to waste a couple of hours on, but it really doesn´t seem like anything you prioritize over other games.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So it seems that a reinvention of a cult classic doesn´t end up better than a pretty forgetable and generic experience in singleplayer? You could see it coming, but still had hopes that Starbreeze would have hidden something special under all that awesome art. It´s shame they didn´t. If I hade absolutely nothing else to play it could be fun to waste a couple of hours on, but it really doesn´t seem like anything you prioritize over other games.

my thoughts exactly

will buy it next year if ever

Sojgat

Thanks to the well thought out and very up to date Australian classification system I had to imported this, so I hope the single player is ok because I wont be playing much co-op. Starbreeze games have always been so good in the past, so I'm holding on to hope that I still might enjoy this.

The reviews are about what I expected; decent single-player with great co-op that has lots of replayability. I still think I'm gonna pick this up. It's for the co-op. This is Left 4 Dead except in the future and with tons more RPG elements and customizations, and more team work required. If you like that sort of game, pick it up. I'll be on the PC version.

d1rtn4p

So sad...When you think of what could of been... I wonder as EA tries to recover their costs on this; something tells me we'll see this show up on Steam sooner than later.

U2NUMB

Perfect example of a game where I would happily dish out 39.99 for it. The price is just a tad out of range for what I will get.

I am curious but hard to justify full price for me anyways.

Looking forward to the impressions from those of you here who get it.

foxdvd

So there is no new game plus mode...

I wonder though if you can chapter select each mission with your upgrades on hard. This would be one way maybe to fully upgrade your character and have a bit of an easier time on hard.

owlbeak

Have skimmed through some of these reviews. None of them mention whether or not the freezing from the demo has been fixed or not.

Anyone know if this issue has been addressed, because my purchase is hanging on whether or not the game is going to lock up on my friends and my console like the demo did 10+ times over the course of three days.

If anyone wants to try out co-op later tonight or tomorrow night (EST), add me on XBL: ThingontheFloor.

Coming in today from Amazon, excited to check it out.

jtrov

When does amazon usually credit the pre-order bonuses and send the codes?

I usually receiving them that night the game arrives. However, there are times where it took a day or so. It actually says on the site that it can take up to two days to receive.

Kotaku reviewer likes it and also says it took 15 hours on normal to beat the single player. She must have died a lot :).

http://kotaku.com/5884812/syndicate-the-kotaku-review

Has anyone here on gaf beaten it yet?

Really good review from Kotaku and I don't just mean the fact the game got praise; the actual review was really well-done. This is the first time I've read a Kotaku review as I've avoided the site due to the hate it gets. The sidebar on the right is a nice touch. Bookmarked!

thabiz

RGB8 or RGB16? Not sure what this option does. I'm assuming its related to bit depth.

Reviewers weren't kidding about limited options.

Really good review from Kotaku and I don't just mean the fact the game got praise; the actual review was really well-done. This is the first time I've read a Kotaku review as I've avoided the site due to the hate it gets. The sidebar on the right is a nice touch. Bookmarked!

The only sites I trust anymore for game reviews are Kotaku and Giant Bomb.

These other mainstream sites seem to throw out crazy high/low reviews every so often, like they are mining for site hits, the reviewer is stroking it looking to gain some attention, or the site is playing some kind of publisher politics.

My Amazon SYNDICATE package is "out for delivery". :)
...Which means it'll be here 6pm tonight. :/

Xater

A shame. The demo didn't wow me and I thought maybe the single player might better. Now that I hear that is actually worse I lost all interest in the title. When it was announced as a FPS I didn't want to shit on it right away, because I thought maybe Starbreeze could make a slightly more action oriented Deus Ex. That would have been fun, but sadly they didn't.

ctrayne

A shame. The demo didn't wow me and I thought maybe the single player might better. Now that I hear that is actually worse I lost all interest in the title. When it was announced as a FPS I didn't want to shit on it right away, because I thought maybe Starbreeze could make a slightly more action oriented Deus Ex. That would have been fun, but sadly they didn't.

SP is only worse by some people's estimation. Some of the reviews are more positive. Wait for more Gaffer's opinions. :) I mean, it obviously won't be DXHR: Action Edition but it should be fun.

S1kkZ

which version is the one to get? my store already has the ps3 version (with a huge discount). i wanted to get the 360 version but if there are no differences i would grab the ps3 version now.

smr00

Banned
So i never got a reply last time i asked so i will try again before i go pick this game up.

How is the games COOP without a mic? my mic on my Tritton 720s broke, and since it's the source of my audio due to thin ass apartment walls using a cheap $10 MS headset isn't a choice because i like to listen to the game.

Is it like a L4D where playing without a mic is plausible?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i always got the impression from the quicklooks.

He's their 'shooter' guy. If anything, it probably takes everything he likes about Deus Ex and takes away some of the parts he may not like.(Which would probably be a bad thing for me, but I can see the train of thought]

Top Bottom