• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata comments on Final Fantasy XV for PC

So let me get this straight.

They could afford to spend at least a million on the Uncovered event.

They had the ability to make a free anime series in order to promote the game.

Then they have announced a full-length CGI movie featuring Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad cast.

Not only that, but they also spend considerable amount of time on the Platinum demo and the mobile mini-game they presented.

Yet, simply making a PC port along with the console versions is too much for them.

Jeez, just admit you're doing this for the double dippers.

they've all but admitted to as much. they just wont come out and say it because then they only get single dippers who hold for the PC version and that defeats the whole double dipper thing.

Basically, if you want this on PC just wait. They're hedging their bets that you cant, though, and for many they'll be right

komorebi

To be honest, this sounds like couching in order to get around the PC version being slightly behind. Considering it was included in marketing materials, it's obviously in development alongside the console version. It's just behind.

That's how I read it too.

yuraya

Too bad not everyone can be like Kojima Productions. MGSV released on 5 different platforms day one. The game itself was a tour de force and a technical masterpiece. Long live the Fox Engine.

Then they have announced a full-length CGI movie featuring Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad cast.

Not only that, but they also spend considerable amount of time on the Platinum demo and the mobile mini-game they presented.

Yet, simply making a PC port along with the console versions is too much for them.

It's called marketing.

Treating PC as solely a double dipping platform is dumb. Even Konami knew a same time release of MGSV was a better idea and it got more sales at higher prices.

But Square gonna Square.

Newboi

FFXV is such an important title for SE that I definitely understand that they would want to handle all platforms in house for this title. This would definitely put the PC version at a lower priority. Nixxes would be a fantastic option, but you really don't want to run the risk of angering your fans on the game that determines the future of your company.

nynt9

Because developers to work on a PC version are the same people who draw an anime or create a CG movie...

FFXV is such an important title for SE that I definitely understand that they would want to handle all platforms in house for this title. This would definitely put the PC version at a lower priority. Nixxes would be a fantastic option, but you really don't want to run the risk of angering your fans on the game that determines the future of your company.

They haven't handled a single FF port in house.

None.

so this would be an exception.

And i'm willing to bet that they still hand this off to Hexadrive or Nixxes to do in the end.

But the best, gameplay-wise. :p (What does your point have anything to do with the comment you quoted?)
He was praising an unfinished game with cross-gen design. Not exactly praise worthy :p

Anyways, Kojima Productions spent too much on creating a multiplatform engine which is now dead. I wonder what will happen with Luminous Engine.

AnAnole

"We'll announce the upgraded PC/upgraded consoles version once sales start to decline for the original version."

Thorn

Because developers to work on a PC version are the same people who draw an anime or create a CG movie...

They are willing to invest all this money in this extra stuff for "marketing" purposes, but can't put the money needed into getting the PC version out with the console releases?

Gbraga

I bought a PS3 for FF Versus XIII, but I think I'll wait. Unless they can get the final thing running at a stable framerate/frametimes on PS4, I'm not sure I want to experience it running like it did in the demos after waiting for so long.

GrayChild

No one mentioned that. Ultimately, it all depends on where Square decides to spend their marketing and development funds. IMO, making a simultaneous PC release would generate quite a lot of goodwill. In addiiton, there will be a lot of people who would rather wait for the inevitable PC release, while others would not care to double dip.

So you're saying PC CONFIRMED?!!!

Not surprised about it being delayed until after consoles being how quiet they've been about it, looks like it'll release after consoles in a timeframe similar to Fnal Fantasy Typo PC. Hopefully it's a port to make Durante proud :\

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The GTA V approach certainly worked well, and I'd guess will also work well for similar "AAA" games

and it sucks for consumers, YAY!

Seriously why did rockstar have to show it was a viable tactic to not make a PC version for 1-2years. I'm going to guess that red dead 3 will only be announced for xb1 and ps4 just for this fucking reason.

Oh no! I don't mind the wait, but six months of gaffers complaining about how FFXV is the worst game ever for the weirdest of reasons will probably kill my hype! ^_^

I know what Tabata is trying to do. And it's going to work on me. I'm buying the game Day 1 on PS4 and I'll probably get it Day 1 on PC.

I ain't got no shame.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Cool I guess it'll be on PC eventually then. I have no problem waiting after seeing the footage at the event looking rough. I'd just double dip if the PS4 version at least looked like it held steady framerate-wise.

yuraya

Atleast FFXV will have an ending.

He was praising an unfinished game with cross-gen design. Not exactly praise worthy :p

Anyways, Kojima Productions spent too much on creating a multiplatform engine which is now dead. I wonder what will happen with Luminous Engine.

MGSV had 4 endings and over 200 hours of content along with several multiplayer components. More importantly it performed great which pc gamers loved by supporting it with nearly 1 million sales in 6 months time.

We will see how XV does if it ever gets a pc port.

Foffy

Banned
and it sucks for consumers, YAY!

Seriously why did rockstar have to show it was a viable tactic to not make a PC version for 1-2years. I'm going to guess that red dead 3 will only be announced for xb1 and ps4 just for this fucking reason.

Rockstar was also infamous that outside of Max Payne, their PC ports have had massive issues.

San Andreas, a game nearly 11 years old on PC, still has problems with its port that the community is fixing.

the internet's full of dicks. scared of spoilers.

here's the likely plot:

boys go on a journey

they all reveal their insecurities, traumas they've experienced

they bond over a series of conflicts

they then defeat a dangerous entity that threatens everything they hold dear, the final confrontation is likely to be against a relative of one of the party members or a completely random force that no one could've anticipated.

random25

I have been waiting since PS3. I can still wait for PC version just to get over the fact that it never came last gen.

Manatox

My guess is, that it will come around the same timeframe of PS4K release, otherwise i see no reason why he would mention "HD Consoles" explicitly.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's either behind in development or being held back for double dippers. Or most likely both.

Heck they're fooling around with FFIX's PC version now, and after that it'll be a PS4 version.

here's the likely plot:

boys go on a journey

they all reveal their insecurities, traumas they've experienced

they bond over a series of conflicts

they then defeat a dangerous entity that threatens everything they hold dear, the final confrontation is likely to be against a relative of one of the party members or a completely random force that no one could've anticipated.

you'll fight a god who orchestrated everything at the end of Persona 5 too

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
My guess is, that it will come around the same timeframe of PS4K release, otherwise i see no reason why he would mention "HD Consoles" explicitly.

PS4K is also a HD console that upscales to 4K, don't understand why it would make a difference.
Also it might just be a bad translation.

Like, I understand that it releasing first on console is gonna mean some people double dip, but so what? At this point, it's basically confirmed that its coming to PC at some point. PC is a much bigger, complex platform to release on. Wouldn't you rather them get that port right than release it in a messy buggy state?

Manatox

PS4K is also a HD console that upscales to 4K, don't understand why it would make a difference.
Also it might just be a bad translation.

It's probably a bad translation as you said. But at the same topic, there are no current gen "non HD consoles" i belive which makes this abit.. ok.. really badly worded.

Paracelsus

I was wondering if the thread would be full of

"We had to focus on the console version and our goal was to maximize, optimize everything for the HD consoles.

+ confused.gif after yesterday's footage. Imagine if they actually released the PC version at the same time, how well would the game be running now.

Good lord people the man has come out and said basically it's coming and he gets bashed. Just chill out and wait I know pc folks the "4k 60fps" bragging rights, it's coming just be patient.

Top Bottom