• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata comments on Final Fantasy XV for PC

rrastelli

Neo Member
Prefer to have PC version but I preordered collectors and deluxe edition PS4. I know I've waited 10 years but I'm not waiting any longer, probably double dip when they release it on steam

Mivey

MFW they were playing the demo last night on a PC exclusive controller.
That unfortunately gives no clear information about the state of a PC port. I am guessing that their engine allows them play directly from the dev environment, kind of necessary to quickly test stuff out. Who is to say on what kind of machine that runs, and how much of a memory hog it is, especially if they also load in debug information.

Which controller were they using?

vdITR5Z.jpg

And the ridiculous thing is that it was chugging in fps too.

Lister

Banned
I'll repost my comment here 'cause relevant:

Guys, we gotta sell 10 million copies!"

"Let's spend hundreds of millions more in making some crappy CGI movie no one will care about, like the others!"

"Great idea! Anyone else?"

"Let's exclude one of the largest gaming platforms on the planet right now!!"

"BRILLIANT!"

Lister

Banned
DX12 isn't exactly a big thing for PC right now. And it won't be for a couple of more years at least.

It's already being used in games...

According to Steam ahrdware survey about 37% are fully DX12 compatible - that's almost 60 million Steam active users, nevermind PC gamers overall.

I think 'were good for this game to be DX12.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, since they need 10 million to be successful, I'll just wait for the PC version. Because they will need one. A great port at that.

komorebi

Well, since they need 10 million to be successful, I'll just wait for the PC version. Because they will need one. A great port at that.

Normally I'd agree with you but aside from Lightning Returns their big FF ports ran like dogshit. I don't know if I want to wait 6-12 months for what amounts to a port not much better than the PS4 version. It'll certainly LOOK better, yeah, but I'm not one of those 4k/30fps people so I'd like a proper port that runs at a solid 60fps if I'm playing on PC.

Durante

Normally I'd agree with you but aside from Lightning Returns their big FF ports ran like dogshit. I don't know if I want to wait 6-12 months for what amounts to a port not much better than the PS4 version. It'll certainly LOOK better, yeah, but I'm not one of those 4k/30fps people so I'd like a proper port that runs at a solid 60fps if I'm playing on PC.
Well, LR was their latest (high-end) port, and also their best. Type 0 was the second most recent and the second best.

So if you think positively it might end up pretty good. (Of course, they could always make a step back)

Tripy73

FFXV director Hajime Tabata told Engadget that the studio isn't currently working on a PC version of the game.

Yes it's true, it's another studio ^^

tumblr_nfzq5vnV3j1tv7fsto1_500.gif

It's already being used in games...

According to Steam ahrdware survey about 37% are fully DX12 compatible - that's almost 60 million Steam active users, nevermind PC gamers overall.

I think 'were good for this game to be DX12.

He said it's not exactly a big thing, which is correct. Pretty much the only games using DX12 now and Rise of the Tomb Raider and Ashes of the Singularity.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
FFXV director Hajime Tabata told Engadget that the studio isn't currently working on a PC version of the game.

Yes it's true, it's another studio ^^

tumblr_nfzq5vnV3j1tv7fsto1_500.gif

Well that's one way to read it and it wouldn't surprise me if you were right lol

Aters

So let me get this straight.

They could afford to spend at least a million on the Uncovered event.

They had the ability to make a free anime series in order to promote the game.

Then they have announced a full-length CGI movie featuring Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad cast.

Not only that, but they also spend considerable amount of time on the Platinum demo and the mobile mini-game they presented.

Yet, simply making a PC port along with the console versions is too much for them.

Jeez, just admit you're doing this for the double dippers.

This is unreasonable. It's not the studio that is doing the anime and movie, but if they are going to port it to PC, it's going to be an internal work.
Tabata never say he doesn't have the budget to port it, he simply doesn't have enough men.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is unreasonable. It's not the studio that is doing the anime and movie, but if they are going to port it to PC, it's going to be an internal work.

None of their earlier ports, none, has been internal work. They've all been outsourced.

"Unfortunately we weren't able to do simultaneous development on a PC and console version for XV," he said.

What is it that makes this development task that is regularly performed by just about every AAA team on the planet (including Square-Enix's Western studios) so challenging and disruptive for this team, exactly?

What is it that makes this development task that is regularly performed by just about every AAA team on the planet (including Square-Enix's Western studios) so challenging and disruptive for this team, exactly?

Every AAA team, heck, even indies are capable of this. Especially when you keep saying about your amazing DX11 multiplatform engine. And all of sudden, it's difficult :")

As I said, the truth is about a marketing thing. This release depends on Square-Enix view on the market. Either they consider PC as a strong AAA market, or a second hand, double dippers one. Numbers paint the reality as being the first option for other publishers, clueless SE considers it's the second one.

Mit-

And all of them are released two three years later?
Right. If we go off precedent, I wouldn't expect to see a PC port until 1 year later at minimum. They'll barely be done patching the console game by then most likely. I won't be surprised if it isn't on PC for 2+ years.

Right. If we go off precedent, I wouldn't expect to see a PC port until 1 year later at minimum. They'll barely be done patching the console game by then most likely. I won't be surprised if it isn't on PC for 2+ years.

If we go off precedent, it's Type-0 HD. 5 months later.

Glix

My guess is that its some sort of GTAV situation. You will see a remaster for PS4.5, Xbox1.5, PC and maybe NX? But no port of the original. 12 months later I would guess.

all guesses and gut feelings no facts here.

My guess is that its some sort of GTAV situation. You will see a remaster for PS4.5, Xbox1.5, PC and maybe NX? But no port of the original. 12 months later I would guess.

all guesses and gut feelings no facts here.

It could happen, although, wouldn't a PS4.5 and XB1.5 remaster defeat the purpose of PS4.5 and XB1.5 ?

Mit-

If we go off precedent, it's Type-0 HD. 5 months later.
Third party port that didn't come out until 4 years after the original and then was ported 5 months later. The team was already third party that made the console port. I wouldn't say this is very comparable.

Not to mention the game is several times smaller and less complex than FFXV. And XIII for that matter.

Corpekata

Banned
And all of them are released two three years later?

I mean, in the sense that they bothered to start porting the games at all.

The only real comparison is Type 0 as it was a game that came out after SE had clearly been throwing all their games on PC. Saying 2-3 years later is like saying to expect it 15 years later because of FFIX.

Aters

It will be another GTAV.

Third party port that didn't come out until 4 years after the original and then was ported 5 months later. The team was already third party that made the console port. I wouldn't say this is very comparable.

Not to mention the game is several times smaller and less complex than FFXV. And XIII for that matter.

That third party team is working on FFXV btw. XIII trilogy is another matter though. Going by precedent, the most recent title is Type-0 HD. And the closest to FFXV by the way.

It will be another GTAV.

Good luck pulling a GTAV with that game.

Ravidrath

They better hope the console reviews are stellar, then, because if they're not, the PC version isn't going to sell.

Yeah, this doesn't really hold water when you're talking literally the biggest project Square has ever done.

They can afford to make a CG movie, anime, and mobile game to drive marketing, but a PC port team is a bridge too far?

It's a matter of "when" more than a matter of "if".

I'm far too hyped for FFXV for me to wait for a PC version, though hopefully they really get the optimization for consoles down. There's some image-quality issues in the game that are pretty crappy (aliasing, for instance). The last thing I want to do while playing this game is to think "maaaan I should've just waited for the PC version...".

They better hope the console reviews are stellar, then, because if they're not, the PC version isn't going to sell.

Yeah, this doesn't really hold water when you're talking literally the biggest project Square has ever done.

They can afford to make a CG movie, anime, and mobile game to drive marketing, but a PC port team is a bridge too far?

Even if they are stellar, they'll still lack the marketing hype. As you said CG movie, anime, mobile game... The marketing is huge. The game is still a surprise quality wise. Their double dippers strategy will just bite them in the back.

synce

Just the usual obligatory delay because they're scared over piracy, blah blah blah. I'll just watch a let's play in that case.

Top Bottom