• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't know where to post but I guess this is where people would be most interested: some info that may or not be relevant to folks here about the upcoming Pixelbook's new pen.

Alongside Pixelbook we’re introducing the Google Pixelbook Pen, a smart, responsive stylus which gives you a natural and comfortable feel when you are sketching and writing. Pixelbook Pen uses machine learning for handwriting recognition, and we’ve reduced latency to just 10 milliseconds—so it feels as fast as writing with a pen on paper. It also has 60 degrees of angular awareness and 2,000 levels of pressure sensitivity, so it’s fast and responsive and naturally follows your hand movements.

spock

Btw, thanks for all the insights. Regarding the nuvision, if I was just using it to take notes in onenote, read books and maybe watch videos and listen to music would it suffice? I have a SP3 Pro I7 that still has punch but I want something I can take everywhere easily for note taking. Hoping the nuvision fits the bill for 89 bucks. I also have a Asus vivotab note 8, but found it a bit meh on taking notes, hoping the nuvision is better in that area.

Much love and gratitude.

Btw, thanks for all the insights. Regarding the nuvision, if I was just using it to take notes in onenote, read books and maybe watch videos and listen to music would it suffice? I have a SP3 Pro I7 that still has punch but I want something I can take everywhere easily for note taking. Hoping the nuvision fits the bill for 89 bucks. I also have a Asus vivotab note 8, but found it a bit meh on taking notes, hoping the nuvision is better in that area.

Much love and gratitude.

NuVision is NOT better IMO than Vivotab Note 8 for either notes or drawing. The only advantage is size if you find the Note 8 too cramped. Nuvision feels slower than Note 8 even with faster processor. Baseline MPP is very CPU dependent. Wacom EMR is not. Nuvision's best trait is the price. Period.

Has anyone had their hands on the new Lenovo Yoga 920?

It is hard to find any info about release dates locally and it is difficult to get both the Dell 13 XPS 2-1 and Lenovo Yoga 720 in Norway in 4k (the latter isnt available).

I am thinking of getting either those models as I know they are getting the latest intel chip.

spock

NuVision is NOT better IMO than Vivotab Note 8 for either notes or drawing. The only advantage is size if you find the Note 8 too cramped. Nuvision feels slower than Note 8 even with faster processor. Baseline MPP is very CPU dependent. Wacom EMR is not. Nuvision's best trait is the price. Period.

Much appreciated feedback. Dang that's a bummer. I just got it in the mail today, running windows update on it now. The problem I had with the vivotab was the edge detection when taking notes which was an issue due to the size. Hmmm wondering if I can some how hack/tweak the nuvision to speed things up. If you have any other thoughts and feedback, do let me know.

Much love & gratitude.

Much appreciated feedback. Dang that's a bummer. I just got it in the mail today, running windows update on it now. The problem I had with the vivotab was the edge detection when taking notes which was an issue due to the size. Hmmm wondering if I can some how hack/tweak the nuvision to speed things up. If you have any other thoughts and feedback, do let me know.

Much love & gratitude.

You will definitely not have to worry about edge drift anymore with NuVision. So that's one benefit you will gain over Note 8. But my Note 8 doesn't suffer too much from it, or rather, I got use to holding my EMR pens in less dramatic angles to minimize edge drift. If you tend to angle your writing utensils, I would suggest training a more vertical hold if you need to use a small EMR device, or get AES or MMP device.

Since you have got one now, I will tell you that most of the sluggishness seems to be combination of slow eMMC and SoC struggling with the 1920x1080 display. I haven't tried to upclock the GPU but I did enable Power Saver and Performance Windows power profile modes with command prompts. Didn't feel a whole lot of difference from Balanced mode in combating sluggishness. I'm just happy that the Balanced mode is good enough to run CSP in usable resolution (2200x1700) without feeling sluggishness while sketching at my normal speed.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
iYb2YWT.jpg

Strolled into best buy on lunch, came out with a Lenovo Yoga 720 and Bamboo ink pen. It's the 13.3 inch. I just need something functional for art and drawing and wanted at least 256gb in SSD space for when I hook up my Pioneer DDJ-SX to it. I think I'm going to get some NAS storage next.

iYb2YWT.jpg

Strolled into best buy on lunch, came out with a Lenovo Yoga 720 and Bamboo ink pen. It's the 13.3 inch. I just need something functional for art and drawing and wanted at least 256gb in SSD space for when I hook up my Pioneer DDJ-SX to it. I think I'm going to get some NAS storage next.
Nice. How much?

Mailbox

So i found out by accident that artisul is releasing 2 new drawing monitors.

The d16 (which is 15.5 inches iirc) and the d22.

The d16 looks like a mix between the xp-pen artist 16 and the artisul d13. Its on presale now.

The d22 is more of a hush hush thing rn. All we know is that its big, has double the buttons/ dials than the d16, and has side-desk hang off like that one yiyinova monitor.

As someone who constantly keeps track of these cintiq alternatives im pretty hyped tbh.

Hey, peeps. Anything that can be considered an upgrade from the Galaxy Note 8.0 and is less than $400? I would be using it for digital art and Google Docs. (So light + decent battery would be nice)

Is the Apple pencil the only pen that allows you to shade with the side? That's the way I use a real pencil; I rarely draw with the point. That's a huge selling point for me, but I'm not really an Apple guy, so I was wondering if there are other pens like Apple's for Windows.

Is the Apple pencil the only pen that allows you to shade with the side? That's the way I use a real pencil; I rarely draw with the point. That's a huge selling point for me, but I'm not really an Apple guy, so I was wondering if there are other pens like Apple's for Windows.
New Surface pen will let you do it as well as all the Cintiq pens and some Samsung 2 in 1 pens but I never ever use tilt. It hampers me instead of helping me. If the brush has tilt expression, I usually find it annoying 99% of the time since it interferes with how I like to customize the brush.

Now that the Fall Creators Update is out:

Have any Surface owners here tried using their pens as clickers in PowerPoint? It just doesn't work for me. All it does is bring up Ink Workspace.

I have a presentation tomorrow and this would actually be really convenient for me...

EDIT: Got it to work by manually updating PowerPoint. Neat feature!

Mailbox

HP to MS: "Hold my beer".

x2_03.jpg

https://liliputing.com/2017/10/hp-l...t-4k-display-pen-support-nvidia-graphics.html

Every fucking one of these 14" 4.5+lb monster comes with 32GB of RAM and Quadro 620M 2GB card. Only CPU and storage vary.

Wacom EMR pen with tilt support is also curious choice, and makes Wacom's own MSP look stupid at this point... Definitiely meant to be a workstation, not a Surface Pro competitor, starting at $1800.

i wonder if this is the same digitizer that's found in the galaxy book...
Its interesting that Wacom is now offering fuller functioning EMR to a 2-in-1 form-factor, but i'm curious as to why they don't bother to update, upgrade, or add tilt to their AES line...

Skittles

Just dropped $1400 (HP is running a $100 off deal right now) without tax on the Spectre x360 (15in) refresh which dropped within the last week. Had way too many good features to pass up and I can't wait another semester for the next big stuff to come out. Can always sell if something better comes out though.

Wish the Eve V hadn't been delayed for a nearly a year(for non-backers) or else I would have gotten that. Now it's just way too outdated with no dedicated graphics or 8th gen intel.

gamz

HP to MS: "Hold my beer".

x2_03.jpg

https://liliputing.com/2017/10/hp-l...t-4k-display-pen-support-nvidia-graphics.html

Every fucking one of these 14" 4.5+lb monster comes with 32GB of RAM and Quadro 620M 2GB card. Only CPU and storage vary.

Wacom EMR pen with tilt support is also curious choice, and makes Wacom's own MSP look stupid at this point... Definitiely meant to be a workstation, not a Surface Pro competitor, starting at $1800.

That. Is. Fucking. Hideous.

How does HP look at this and say "yeah, we're good. Roll it out!"

i wonder if this is the same digitizer that's found in the galaxy book...
Its interesting that Wacom is now offering fuller functioning EMR to a 2-in-1 form-factor, but i'm curious as to why they don't bother to update, upgrade, or add tilt to their AES line...

It's the same UD frequency EMR used in the Galaxy Book as well as Galaxy Notes.

BTW It's not necessarily Wacom doing that. The new MS tablet driver with the Creative Update exposes the tilt functionality that ALL EMR pens were always capable of. Wacom simply disabled that functionality in their driver unless you bought their expensive "pro" EMR devices. BTW Android art apps have been hacking the tilt in Samsung EMR tablets for years without any of Wacom's support.

AES is a different matter all together. Unlike EMR pens that can get tilt functionality for "free", AES pens will require a second resonance coil to do tilt. It's added part expense (and partly why the new Surface pen is $100 vs $50 for their older none tilt pens).

Slermy

That. Is. Fucking. Hideous.

How does HP look at this and say "yeah, we're good. Roll it out!"

I can't tell if I like it or hate it. It's unique, which is nice, and the cut corners give it a bit of a Battlestar Galactica vibe, which I kind of dig.

That's one heavy device though. :(

Surface Book 2. To date this might be the most amazing looking laptop I've seen.

It was exactly what I wanted.

GTX 1060
Quad-Core i7
1 GB Ram
1 TB SSD
The same Convertable design allowing it to be both a tablet and a laptop. Now (hopefully) without compromise.

.... At almost 3000 dollars when speced out.

They claim 16 hours of battery life. Which makes me wonder if it will still have a 15 Watt CPU? Surely they won't use a 45 Watt CPU. That is way way to much heat. And with the 1060 I wonder if it will be Max-Q.

This is completely out of my budget. I can only hope that Lenovo and the others will introduce similar concepts work/gaming convertibles at lower price points. Reliability and longevity is what concerns me currently.

With Consumer Reports coming and saying that it's not reliable, it begs the question of what manufactureres are; https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-reports-hardware-freezing-shutdowns-problems

I'd trade thinness for a more thick but stable machine with lower thermals. I don't like it when the CPU jumps to 80+ degrees when you open Chrome.

Alfabruce

Neo Member
So i've been using the Yoga 720 a bit now.
I still need more time to adapt, but it's pretty great.

Unfortunately i still prefer the Cintiq, mainly for (and i'm doing some guess work here, because it's hard to pin down what a "feeling" comes down to):

1. The pen (Bamboo Smart, not the INK, which isn't available here yet) is awfully small.
2. The glass, is way too... smooth? It's missing that peculiar texture that makes the cintiq feel great to draw on.
3. I need my spring pen tip, i actually didn't even like drawing on the cintiq at all, until i put on this tip, that gives in a little (allegedly losing in sensitivity, but feels much more organic to me, i actually have more control over what i'm doing).

Hopefully number 1 and 3 can be remedied with a new pen, that perhaps support more traditional tips, in the future.
Point 2 could be worked around with perhaps a special screen protector, but for now i'll make do.

On the plus side, the portability of course is great, the tablet itself is wonderful (fingerprint scanner should available for desktop PCs too, lol) and:

1. Almost no parallax is great.
2. The supposed lag, i can barely tell it's there, tbh.
3. The 15" is a bit heavy to be using it as a walk around sketchbook, but the screen real estate is plenty.

Also, i do wish palm rejection was a bit more extreme, as sometimes it fucks up with my strokes, but it's very very minor.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the valuable info.

Im about to move from my intuos tablet up to a cintiq, maybe acompanion or something bigger but have been impressed by what some of the 2 in 1s being discussed here offer compared to the companion.

Why is a cintiq better for linework?

Im just wondering how the 'feel' of the cintiq would make it better for line drawing as some people have commented. I will be using it purly for art but it will be a good deal of lineart and then colouring with photoshop and also some 3D work with Rhinoceros and Octane. I have another PC fwith a good graphics card for the octane as it sucks a lot of juice but I like the idea of the GTX1050 4gb card being able to do some Rhino modelling.

How do people find the Yoga 720 15 inch surface to draw on?
I also tested in out local shops the surface, the spectre, the Envy and the yoga and was surprised that the Yoga surface felt very grippy, almost sticky compared to all the others which were very smooth and slippery. Has anyone else got any experience with this. I tried all the pens including the bamboo ink etc and the screen on the yoga was consistently very grippy. Is this able to be improved with different nibs?

I didnt mind the grippyness, its just that Im wondering if this means more stress on wrists after hours drawing. Ive spent years as an industrial designer drafting with Autocad and the RSI is something that im very aware of and want to minimise if possible. I absolutely love the surface on my little intuos, got a great speed and tactile feel to it.

Are there any screen covers that are OK for the yoga 720 15 inch? This could be a solution.

So, really excited by the potential that the yoga would offer particularly as a mobile device to use everywhere but ultimately, if a 22 inch cintiq or similar is going to be a better experience with surface quality, colour accuracy for printing etc etc then Ill go that way.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Tim

Top Bottom