• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

Seda

So am I not suppose to my chromotus a certain amount of times? I keep hearing about that.

You get a title/trophy if you use Chromatus less than 50 times from chapter 13(?) until one of the endings. Earliest ending you can get is the
bad one in chapter 15

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just killed all of the non-EX elite monsters. I fought the first EX one and had him down to 10-15% health but then he wiped out the whole party in one hit lol. (I'm lv 79)
Now that I've got a full party of people at lv 8 affinity, I can head into the ex dungeon tomorrow and see how I fare.
Also, how do you unlock the higher tiers of the party coliseum fights?

Cess007

I finished the game last night, after spending about 20 more hours on it over the weekend. I loved it.

Spoiler-free thoughts:

- Really, really liked the darker storyline. It was much more emotionally involving. I also thought the characters were great, pretty much across the board.
- Loved the combat. I didn't like that certain characters are useless for linked arts if you're rolling with the dual blades, but whatever.
- Didn't like the Allium Orb system. I never felt like I quite understood it, and I didn't like the lack of control over how your character develops, compared to Xillia 1.
- Waaaaay too much recycled content. Like 90% of the game was basically just Xillia 1. But when actually playing the game, it didn't bother me... oddly enough.
- The character chapters were great. Even though I was more than strong enough to finish off the game, I still wanted to see all the characters' stories through to the end.

I'm still kinda sad the game's over, but I felt like this was a really satisfying conclusion to Xillia. I hope Zestiria can live up to this.

I found pretty hilarious that some of the NPCs in Xillia 2 are doing the exact same animations as in Xillia 1 at the exact same spot. Come on Namco, at least change their position or animations.

Otherwise, i'm enjoying quite a lot the game. Completing the Jobs has become my obsession.

Vylash

Doubtful, but at least now they're all caught up. I recall reading that they want to keep the localization time down to 6 months. Zestiria will probably be a summer 2015 release though.

they said it's coming out here the same year that it comes out in Japan, which probably means 2015 but there's a small part of me that thinks 2014

RalchAC

- Jude was definitely nerfed, by end-game he was pretty fast but he's nowhere near as fast as end-game Xillia 1 Jude.

I tried Jude early in the game and he was really, really slowed (compared to Xillia 1). Enemies were kicking my ass due to how much his speed have changed. I didn't bother learning the "rythm" of the character again, but I can say that Milla hasn't been drastically changed like Jude. I played with her a couple of battles where elemental damage is key and I remembered how to use her after 2 normal fights.

I found pretty hilarious that some of the NPCs in Xillia 2 are doing the exact same animations as in Xillia 1 at the exact same spot. Come on Namco, at least change their position or animations.

Otherwise, i'm enjoying quite a lot the game. Completing the Jobs has become my obsession.

Isn't the pop-up worse in this game than the original Xillia? Sometimes I think so. They've increased the NPC density in most cities and if you ran using R2 you may have to wait for a while until they appear. I had to wait for around 10-12 seconds in order to the mission guy to appear once.

aravuus

Man I love how some of the character chapter fragmented dimensions get played for drama to hell and back lol. It's like the writers were thinking "now that we can use any and every character how we want with no tangible repercussions in the prime dimension and no possibility for plot holes, what's the saddest situation we can put this character in?"

Case in point, the scene in Milla's Shrine in Alvin's chapter 3 (I think).
Alvin gets to see the woman she loves alive again but has to ask her to give the ring back, gets confronted by alternate himself he apparently didn't like, sees his bride die again, all in the span of a couple of minutes
etc. It was almost hilarious.

While I'm usually all in for emotional drama and sad shit, I prefer the more light-hearted chapters here. It's hard to get emotionally invested when you're suddenly thrown into these situations and right away yanked back.

Soriku

I didn't like it because it was being annoying and limiting your choice in what you spend your money on. Majority of the chapters I always had way more money than I needed for the next chapter. So I had to spend money even though I didn't really want to because otherwise Nova would just constantly spam you with the window which you can't quit out of. Even though I'd already given her enough for the next chapter. Not to mention the debt thing doesn't really add anything at all to the story. It's effectively there just to lengthen the game.

I agree the area restrictions aren't an issue though. It's not like any other tales of game allowed you to go everywhere from the beginning.

I've been keeping up with equipment and item restock purchases despite the debt. There's not much else to spend money on, so I might as well pay the debt, though I don't dump all my money at once. I'm going to make a lot more soon enough anyway. In case you're just a bit short on cash you can always sell some of your materials. So at this point it hasn't been a nuisance at all.

It's a good thing they made the best way to make money not through generic fetch quests (although you can do those) but through the Giganto monsters which are fun to fight, and I'd do them without the money reward anyway. If Giganto monster fights were their way to stretch out the game...well let's just say they could've done much worse. I don't feel like the debt has stretched out the game much either way.

It's also a good thing they made the white color quests just generic and repeatable, and they don't appear on your job completion list anyway, so I don't feel motivated to do them if I don't want to :p The important red color quests are easy.

Only kill one of his copies. If you kill both he will immediately make two more.

Use Power Charge 3 (hold block for 4.5 seconds) then chain up those artes for a big power hit/weakness combo. You can just free run away from his attacks.

EDIT: I guess I did it the hard way.

Yeah, I did the fight right after the part of Jude's story that takes place at that location. That seems to have been my big mistake. So I loaded up the save, the ran back to town so I could swap out Jude, and swap in WAR Elize. With Ludger, Milla, Muzet and Elize it turned into a fairly easy fight.

Yeah, I did the fight right after the part of Jude's story that takes place at that location. That seems to have been my big mistake. So I loaded up the save, the ran back to town so I could swap out Jude, and swap in WAR Elize. With Ludger, Milla, Muzet and Elize it turned into a fairly easy fight.

I actually did it after Jude's story as well. It took me a few tries since the AI wasn't that helpful during the fight.

Don't forget that you should also have Power Charge 3 at this point. Guard charging to the third level will give you a guaranteed power hit on bosses.

I actually did it after Jude's story as well. It took me a few tries since the AI wasn't that helpful during the fight.

Don't forget that you should also have Power Charge 3 at this point. Guard charging to the third level will give you a guaranteed power hit on bosses.

Yeah, everyone is equipped with Power Charge 3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there somewhere special to go for that ??? monster on the board? It was one of the first ones listed and I just passed chapter 13.

Is there somewhere special to go for that ??? monster on the board? It was one of the first ones listed and I just passed chapter 13.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it appears either in Aladhi Trail, Sapstrath Highroad, or Xagut Floodmeadow. It can be any of those, hence the ???.

Zafir

I've been keeping up with equipment and item restock purchases despite the debt. There's not much else to spend money on, so I might as well pay the debt, though I don't dump all my money at once. I'm going to make a lot more soon enough anyway. In case you're just a bit short on cash you can always sell some of your materials. So at this point it hasn't been a nuisance at all.

It's a good thing they made the best way to make money not through generic fetch quests (although you can do those) but through the Giganto monsters which are fun to fight, and I'd do them without the money reward anyway. If Giganto monster fights were their way to stretch out the game...well let's just say they could've done much worse. I don't feel like the debt has stretched out the game much either way.

It's also a good thing they made the white color quests just generic and repeatable, and they don't appear on your job completion list anyway, so I don't feel motivated to do them if I don't want to :p The important red color quests are easy.
Oh I also had all the best equipment/item restocked etc too. That was why I didn't want to spend any more money. Because there was nothing of use TO spend it on. I remember once I ended up just buying some random accessory's with resistance on just in case I went against bosses with attacks lol. Just because if I didn't dump my money, Nova would spam me wanting to pay up. Near the end of the game I ended up just giving her the money. I just got so sick of it. Like it wouldn't have been so bad to me, if Nova wasn't such a spammer. It effectively punished me for being loaded. xD

But yeah, the side quests themselves are fine. The giganto mobs are amusing enough, and there's still some quests which do advance the story.

Masamuna

I usually pay half the minimum due and then buy what I can. I've only paid off a million so far but Nova hasn't spammed me that much. Yet.

That said she's no where near as headache inducing as any contact on GTA IV so it's a plus for me.

Asked on a previous page but still no response. When do item shops start offering new stuff? Im up to chapter 7 and every shop in the game has identical inventory. Two gels, a few status removing bottles, and a dark bottle. I want Lemon, Melange, and other gels for example though.

Masamuna

Asked on a previous page but still no response. When do item shops start offering new stuff? Im up to chapter 7 and every shop in the game has identical inventory. Two gels, a few status removing bottles, and a dark bottle. I want Lemon, Melange, and other gels for example though.

They update slowly, but I wanna say that the item shop updated in chapter 9 at least.

RalchAC

When I'm supposed to get Resurrection? I've just finished Chapter 7 (I think) and I'm at level 36. I'm tired of Life Bottles. Having them as an extra resource is cool, but I miss a real reviving spell.

You get a title/trophy if you use Chromatus less than 50 times from chapter 13(?) until one of the endings. Earliest ending you can get is the
bad one in chapter 15

This means under 50 times specifically within the timespan of chapter 13 and beating the game right? So you can use it as much as you want before then?

FSLink

Banned
When I'm supposed to get Resurrection? I've just finished Chapter 7 (I think) and I'm at level 36. I'm tired of Life Bottles. Having them as an extra resource is cool, but I miss a real reviving spell.

Elize: Lv40
Leia: Lv49
Muzet: Lv52
Gaius (Spirit Channel, also revives): 4530 Water Points on Allium Orb

Cool, thanks guys

Also, how does Gaius control? Is he clunky and slow like most non main Tales characters are? Or can he be used really effectively as the player character?

Is it just me, or does your kitty always return when you load a game? Just a minute ago I dispatched my kitty, and then not even 5 minutes later I saved and re-loaded my game and my kitty returned. If true, this would be a kind of big exploit for maxing out the kitty search areas.

demidar

Is it just me, or does your kitty always return when you load a game? Just a minute ago I dispatched my kitty, and then not even 5 minutes later I saved and re-loaded my game and my kitty returned. If true, this would be a kind of big exploit for maxing out the kitty search areas.

Nah I think it just runs off the PS3 clock or something, since it works when you're paused as well. That's probably also how the game selects the Kitty Dispatch day bonus.

Pachimari

I just bought the Day One edition of Tales of Xillia 2 today as well!

I were so surprised at Xillia 1 and is still playing that one. :)

They also have Tales of Symphonia Chronicles at the store but I'll wait with that one and get Vesperia before the end of the year.

galvenize

I just bought the Day One edition of Tales of Xillia 2 today as well!

I were so surprised at Xillia 1 and is still playing that one. :)

They also have Tales of Symphonia Chronicles at the store but I'll wait with that one and get Vesperia before the end of the year.

I've never played Symphonia before so when I got it on the store a couple of months ago I could finally try it out and well... After being spoiled with the combat of recent installments, I found it hard to enjoy Symphonia as much as I wanted to.

Flarin

These seem to be people's biggest complaints, but they're mine as well:

- At first I didn't mind recycled areas, but 20+ hours into the game it gets old really fast.
- In the later parts of the game making a payment to advance in the game is so annoying. It ruins the flow of the story and seems needlessly tedious.
- Why is Ludger silent? Because you can make dialogue choices? Seems like a lame excuse
especially when you unlock his voice after beating the game

Other than that, it's still a Tales game and it's fun. Combat is great and I love the ability transform. Also, Elle is by far the best character in the game. She's super adorable and pretty funny. Love her facial expressions.

kewlmyc

These seem to be people's biggest complaints, but they're mine as well:

- At first I didn't mind recycled areas, but 20+ hours into the game it gets old really fast.
- In the later parts of the game making a payment to advance in the game is so annoying. It ruins the flow of the story and seems needlessly tedious.
- Why is Ludger silent? Because you can make dialogue choices? Seems like a lame excuse
especially when you unlock his voice after beating the game

Other than that, it's still a Tales game and it's fun. Combat is great and I love the ability transform. Also, Elle is by far the best character in the game. She's super adorable and pretty funny. Love her facial expressions.

CHAPTER 12 SPOILER:
I guess it's so people don't recognize that his voice is the same as Victor's. I'm pretty sure Victor speaks in the beginning cutscene.

Flarin

I just started Chapter 12 so I'm not gonna check or quote that. I'll assume it's a game changer?
Also, thank you for marking it as a spoiler.

Papercuts

CHAPTER 12 SPOILER:
I guess it's so people don't recognize that his voice is the same as Victor's. I'm pretty sure Victor speaks in the beginning cutscene.

But goddamn is it obvious with that hair/exposed eye. :p

Early Chapter 15 spoilers.
I can't decide who I want to take with me to Canaan D:

I think Milla, Muzet and Gaius? But I'm not sure, and don't want to leave anyone out. This feels cruel :(

Cess007

Isn't the pop-up worse in this game than the original Xillia? Sometimes I think so. They've increased the NPC density in most cities and if you ran using R2 you may have to wait for a while until they appear. I had to wait for around 10-12 seconds in order to the mission guy to appear once.

Yeah, it way worse from what i can remember from Xillia 1. In Sharilton, once, i've to wait up to 20 seconds to let people appear and start a mission.

Yeah, it way worse from what i can remember from Xillia 1. In Sharilton, once, i've to wait up to 20 seconds to let people appear and start a mission.

Ha ha, yeah. It usually doesn't bother me unless I have to run to the spot where the job board guy is and then wait until he appears. XD

Zafir

Yeah, the pop in is way way waaaaay worse. Like it didn't even bother me THAT much in the first game. However, in this one I've had to wait like 30 seconds odd maybe more sometimes just to get stuff to load in.

In other news, the final dungeon...
What a maddening dungeon design.... It certainly topped XIII-2 for the worst final dungeon of a game I've completed this year and I really did not like the silly platforming in that...

Papercuts

Yeah, the pop in is brutal when you want to turn in a mission. Some areas(mainly Marksburg) have huuuuge framerate drops in that center area when people load in too.

I've been doing the poker game for awhile and it seems really easy in this game. Though the high/low is a bit random since the card itself keeps changing(IIRC the card that showed up would be the same one if you continued in some other games), but I still had a simple time getting over 200K chips anyway.

Flarin

Yeah, the pop in is brutal when you want to turn in a mission. Some areas(mainly Marksburg) have huuuuge framerate drops in that center area when people load in too.

Yeah, the technical limitations/ lack of technical prowess is rearing its ugly head all over the place.

kewlmyc

Worst part about the pop in is that Zestiria seems to fix none of it if the gameplay video is anything to go off of.

I'm not a fan of when Tales studio does a port to a different console a year after the initial release, but I hope we get a PS4 Zestiria in 2016

Top Bottom